2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Even though some people appear to have an open mind, it can be completely shut. You can talk rationally until you are blue in the face. You can decide for yourself if it is worth the effort.

Richrf #2772614 10/15/18 06:21 AM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Richrf
........As far as cardiac surgeons are concerned, they kill plenty of people, even the "good" ones with a pedigree.

Ummm...ok. Now that’s just ridiculous. Are you a med mal attorney? Are you against heart surgery in general or just pointing out that training does not matter here? A diy heart surgery might be just as good, or good enough? People do die after heart surgery but they are usually so sick going in that it was their only chance. The overall mortality rate is probably about 5%. 95% get a new lease on life; an extension of years to decades, without living with a weak or failing heart or at constant risk of a heart attack.

I’m not sure that this line supports your argument that teachers are unnecessary and superfluous.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Finn, read keystrings first post. To me that is the most accurate representation of both sides of the question. It is amazing to me that people use a poster's thread to promote opinions that are totally irrelevant to the OPs needs. And who are these posters? Do they reveal their own pianistic expertise? I think each poster should post an example of his or her playing so that we have something to judge their opinions by. I do not deny any posters right to a strong opinion, I just would like to know how much credibility and prowess that poster has, as I would pay much more attention to the opinions of an accomplished pianist ( no matter what genre).

As far as any statements about jazz made in this thread ( other than my own, of course!😈) I find them rather off the mark re teaching for the most part. If it is hard to find a good classical teacher, it is almost impossible to find a good jazz teacher.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Even though some people appear to have an open mind, it can be completely shut. You can talk rationally until you are blue in the face. You can decide for yourself if it is worth the effort.

LOL ...
These types of arguments are what the "arguers" live for.
They check back periodically to see if anyone acknowledged their latest argument as a "good point".

However, usually they find that there is now a "counter argument" which they must (enjoyably) respond to.

So .... they make their "point" and on and on it goes.

And, as you say, there is no particular rational to it ..... mostly opinion backed by questionable supporting data.

It ends when all participants become "weary" of the process .... which can take several days to weeks or even months.

Last edited by dmd; 10/15/18 07:10 AM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #2772670 10/15/18 10:00 AM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by dmd
[...]
It ends when all participants become "weary" of the process .... which can take several days to weeks or even months.

One can only hope ....

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

... Now I am at least as interested in musical understanding as in technical skill. It's the main reason that a great pianist can sound so much better than a very ordinary amateur even when playing a piece that's technically very easy.

Better playing comes from practice mostly and relation to knowledge is far smaller. More knowledgeable does not equate to better playing. There is some relation but minimal compared to sheer practice and experience at the keyboard.

Greener #2772680 10/15/18 10:45 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Greener

... Now I am at least as interested in musical understanding as in technical skill. It's the main reason that a great pianist can sound so much better than a very ordinary amateur even when playing a piece that's technically very easy.

Better playing comes from practice mostly and relation to knowledge is far smaller. More knowledgeable does not equate to better playing. There is some relation but minimal compared to sheer practice and experience at the keyboard.

I think you and pianoloverus are talking slightly about different points in the development of pianism. Clearly at an earlier point in the development of this skill, practice has a great effect. Even if you don't have "knowledge" of what is good and what is bad, practice will allow pieces to become smoother and sound better. But I think pianoloverus is talking about a phase after you are already technically proficient. At that point, knowledge kicks in because you are proficient enough to control your hands and fingers to be able to do what you want. But what do you want them to do?

I was watching this masterclass with Lang Lang last night:

What struck me is that this student clearly has the technical skills already to make this Beethoven sonata sound as she wants, but what Lang Lang was focusing on was "how should it sound?" That is knowledge.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
There is no right answer of how it is suppossed to sound. If there were, we could all sound the same. He has no such knowledge. The video is more to do with interpretation and articulation. Specialized training which is skills development.

I'm glad you posted this example, TS:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

[snip] ......
I was watching this masterclass with Lang Lang last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plfCtMAKScE

When I started to watch, I thought, "Oh no, another pianist trying to push his interpretation on a student." But no, it was not that at all. It was what I have coined "applied theory" for want of a term, and am seeking myself. He was correcting counting (she was coming in too early a few times), and he also gave her a device for correcting it with his soft "tatatatata" for counting the pulses. Later it was the expression of a phrase,which has a LH harmony, as much music has, and the melody --- and he worked with the interplay of both. There is the sense of the music itself: for example, the meaning and execution of a cadence (music theory), and how to bring that into effect in both hands. When she applies this theoretical knowledge, the music refines itself, becomes even more effective.

Well, this goes straight into the argument between Pianoloverus and Greener, because it is this extra knowledge that LangLang brought in,which improved the playing. If you don't hear the slightly missed beat, you will keep practising it that way. Here the applied knowledge does equate to better playing. You're practising - yes - but what are you practising toward as you practise? What knowledge is guiding you?

By chance I just ran into similar things in my own lessons. I had a missed beat, which sounded perfectly fine to me and I only heard it once it was pointed out to me. I have learned ways of counting, so it was quickly fixed. There was also the "dotted eighth + 16th" figure that we so often have in music- you can play these literally, giving the first note 3X the value of the 2nd, or you can stretch the 1st and make the 2nd a bit shorter for a jaunty hop into the next note. I'd done a jaunty hop, but by lengthening the shorter note, it added to the slightly somber mood, giving dignity by taking away from playfulness - and the composer had sombreness in that piece even though on the surface its rhythms were playful and light. (The harmonies weren't). It was the same kind of thing, obviously at a different level, which is why this clip spoke to me.

Greener #2772703 10/15/18 12:32 PM
There is no right answer of how it is suppossed to sound. If there were, we could all sound the same. He has no such knowledge. The video is more to do with interpretation and articulation. Specialized training which is skills development.

I don't entirely agree. A missed beat is not a matter of interpretation. (It was not actually about how it's supposed to sound, though it was presented that way).

(We cross-posted so you didn't see my earlier post on the subject.)

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Wow, what a great and fun teacher he is. I, too, don't think he is teaching so much how it should sound as much as he is talking about a consciousness in the approach as well as the dramatic tensions involved. "Beethoven goes crazy here!" " You need to learn how to hold the tension here"
And he is transferring his excitement and enthusiasm about music in general. It is like going to college where we learn how to learn. He wants her to be able to think like this on her own. "Don't think it is finished... It is just beginning!" The "sound" is something that arises from all the other elements involved. Just my opinion, however

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
DFSRN #2772706 10/15/18 12:41 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by DFSRN
Richrf I agree, getting a teacher adds stress, boredom, and suppression of personal expression and creativity, which cost money. However, it leads to an end goal.
I went to college most of my life, I could not always be creative, I was stressed during test/presentations, and my PhD cost me a fortune. My PhD was a personal goal. My friend took private cooking lessons from a chef, she told me how stressed she was, she did not stop lessons, I am stressed at my lessons but it does not mean I am quitting. People do not generally become good at something by accident, it takes years, sacrifice, money, and perseverance. I believe it comes to personal choice and goals. You can get a job without college and learn to play the piano without a teacher; it just depends what type of end result you desire.

For me, my hobbies are about learning, learning about learning, and learning about how to learn by oneself. The process is never ending, and there is no concept of good and bad - just learning.

The Thunderbirds are very artistic, and as such the results are often not as predictable as one might desire. There are extremes as well as an infinite number of gradations between robotic mechanisation and creativity.

DFSRN #2772707 10/15/18 12:53 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by DFSRN
Richrf, regarding school choice for musicians, depending on goals, I believe (from a musician friend) school can make a difference in getting auditions for big name symphonies. Just like, someone who wants to work for a Fortune 500 company business school choice may make a difference to get in the door. Just a thought.

Yes, it is all about money and industry. Without it, then it becomes just something to do in life, in any manner one sees fit. All rather neutral.

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
The original comparison i thought was beyond these technecalities. Of course you need sufficient knowledge so not to reinforce problems.

Everything contributes and it is all good. Just saying there is more bang for your buck spending time at the keyboard then anything. More knowledge does not give you a better sound or ability as much as more time practicing and gaining playing experience (technecalities being equal).

Greener #2772712 10/15/18 01:12 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
The original comparison i thought was beyond these technecalities. Of course you need sufficient knowledge so not to reinforce problems.

Everything contributes and it is all good. Just saying there is more bang for your buck spending time at the keyboard then anything. More knowledge does not give you a better sound or ability as much as more time practicing and gaining playing experience (technecalities being equal).

I agree that it is the actual experience of doing something that enables the mind, that permeates the body, to learn. Reading or observing may assist someone in choosing directions for their learning process, but it is the actual experience of doing that creates learning.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Woof. You guys can sure make something that is deep fun sound boring. The OP may be having second thoughts about the piano and go for the bagpipes. At least we know what it was made for.... Scaring the enemy! Just kidding, but remember, children are watching!

Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
One person's boredom is another's fascination I suppose. I don't take any reasponsibility for their emotions.

Everything is game for learning. It's even hard to really do the wrong thing provided you stay with it long enough.

For sure you need to keep it interesting and there was great advice provided earlier in the thread about this. What you actually end up with is your own path, as it should be.

Greener #2772737 10/15/18 02:46 PM
Online Content
Better playing comes from practice mostly and relation to knowledge is far smaller. More knowledgeable does not equate to better playing.There is some relation but minimal compared to sheer practice and experience at the keyboard.
It really goes without saying that better playing requires practice. Knowledge alone doesn't guarantee better playing but it's critical to improvement. Practice will help only if one knows what one is doing both musically and technically. Otherwise, a person could easily be practicing musical or technical errors.

Without knowledge progress will either be monumentally slower or not at all. Just playing the same passage over and over with the hope of solving a technical problem by brute force repetition is in no way effective. Plenty of people play the piano their whole lives and after decades of playing have minimal technical skill and minimal musical understanding. Same thing for tennis players and almost almost any skill.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/15/18 02:49 PM.
Greener #2772738 10/15/18 02:53 PM
Online Content
Everything is game for learning. It's even hard to really do the wrong thing provided you stay with it long enough.
I think one only has to listen to amateurs who have been playing their whole lives but with little good instruction to see that is not the case. Same for tennis players. Just go to the public courts and watch most of the people who play there regularly who cannot hit a backhand well if their life depended on it.

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
There may be some confusion then of what is musical understanding vs. Technical skill.

This now refers to the latter whereas the comparison was more related to the former. Ie. Musical understanding was what separated the great from not so great. Indeed it is more to do with technical understanding.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission