2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
OP Offline
S
I’ve been teaching a boy since he was just shy of 5 years old and we’re about to hit our 5th anniversary. He’s a fine student. He’s always prepared, does the work, advances well, plays challenging pieces at the recitals. He’s nearly done with PA 2B (we’d be further along, but they take him out of lessons for 4 months each year to travel) and at the last recital played the Clementi Sonatina. That’s a bit of a gap, right? Well, his Tiger Dad is an accomplished pianist and that’s where the real work happens. Dad makes sure that boy plays perfectly. I teach the child the concepts, Dad grooms him into a showpony.

The child hates it. He’s told me to my face: “I don’t like piano, I don’t like playing, but I’ll keep doing it because my dad wants me to”. This was after he finished the Clementi back in May. But I've known for years that his heart isn't in it. He's a good boy who does what he's told, so he makes good progress. I was satisfied with that even if there was a certain joylessness to the process.

I backed off this semester by giving him The Wild Horseman/Schumann and L’Arabesque/Burgmuller. Still fits dad’s requirements of Classical rep, but shorter and easier to tackle.

In the meantime, this whole time, all 5 years, the musically uneducated mother, who brings the boy to lessons, has been saying all kinds of things to me. Some snide comments about my lack of children (I am a woman of childbearing age but am not a mother) that I ignored. Requests to change the programs to put her child first so they wouldn’t have to stay for the whole event...I also ignored that. And of course, that I needed to give the boy “fun music”. I needed to make the lessons more fun, be more fun, all fun all the time!
And I ignored that too. I use the same highly varied coursework for all the students, which lots of options for recital pieces that come from all kinds of sources, and no one else is complaining about the music being unsatisfying.

But this last time, the mother was just so insistent that I “make the music fun”. I was fed up. So I sent an email to her and the husband explaining that the problem was the child didn’t enjoy piano and it wouldn’t matter what I assigned, he just doesn’t like playing piano.

Well. That resulted in the father telling me that his son a musical prodigy with perfect pitch (no….no he’s not) and a star athlete (huh? His allergies are so severe he wheezes just sitting at the piano), and how all his other teachers adore him, and how the problem is me BECAUSE I’M NOT A MOTHER. And then proceeded to tell me what boys need.

I was very upset by the father’s email, furious really, but decided to take the blame for everything and tell them I’d completely understand if they wanted to find a better teacher, since I clearly didn’t make them happy. But really, I just wanted them gone immediately. I offered to refund their payment for the month.

But no….they backpedaled, said their son told them how much he liked me, and playing piano, and how much he liked the pieces I gave him (????WHAT????) and that they were staying with me. That kid can’t tell his own parents the truth, he’s so scared of disappointing them.

Because they had just paid for the month, I wrote back and said, ok, we’ll continue the lessons, but if the boy loves piano and his pieces so much, then why is the wife constantly telling me I need to make it more fun?

They didn’t respond. But just sent the boy to his next lesson, never coming to the door to talk to me.

Ultimately, these parents think I have some kind of professional deficit because I’m not a mother, and I don’t want them in my studio because of that. It’s insulting….nay….it’s insanity. I just can’t even wrap my head around this logic. I was polite in my email where I suggested they move on to a new teacher, but now I need to make it a firm stance.

What would be the best way of telling them to leave? I don’t want back and forth, I don’t want a debate. I just want them gone. They are in the same school as about half my other students, so keeping a reasonable level of peace and professionalism is important. My plan is to wait until the final lesson of the month (through which they are paid), pretend everything is cool up until then, and then send them a dismissal notice.

Thank you for reading yet another one of my parent-teacher meltdown posts. I should update my other post about the twin girls and their insane father.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I am not a music teacher but I taught in a junior high and senior high school (math/science).

I qualify only so you know where this is coming from …

I know someone from the business world who would periodically find a customer who was unreasonable with demands for service.

He would give them back their money and tell them that "they were not right for each other" and that would be the end of it.

This seems to apply to this situation.

I would write the parents a formal "we are not right for each other" dismissal as soon as possible and try not to spend any more of your life dealing with it.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
SchroedersCat, the customer has violated boundary issues. Why you are not a mother is a personal choice and it could also be related to health issues which is none of the customer's business. I certainly would not feel bad or take any type of blame. Sounds like you have been bullied. I am not a piano teacher, I have been a psychiatric nurse and have taught nursing school as an adjunct professor. Today I coordinate academic programs and am on the hospital's ethics committee. Truly, I am not surprised at anything anyone does, I have seen it all. I am sure others who are in healthcare would agree.

It is hard to have a response when you are in the situation. when I have a situation at work, by best friend has a psych nurse background and I consult her before responding if I can. When you are involved in the situation is hard to be objective, because emotions get involved.

Thinking of a response, especially if you want out. I always say follow your intuition. I am so glad you told me your son is a prodigy, I am not versed in teaching this type of child and could not do justice. Because of my own limitation in this area, I will have to decline teaching your child, I would not want my inexperience to impact his future progression. Not to say that any of this is true, it is a graceful way to get out of a situation. I have pulled out of bad mentoring situations at work by saying, clearly I am not meeting your needs because of my lack of experience.

Hope this helps. I have been a piano student now for 5 years, I am sure your job is not easy, I certainly respect what piano teachers do. If I had not taken as a child, I would probably not have pursued this as an older adult. Now I can't wait until I get time to practice.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Dare I say it, you could be brutally honest.

Tell them to back off or you won't teach the kid. You'll be doing yourself, the kid, and possibly them a favour in the long run. Either way you win.

Just tell them that when you teach, it's either only you or nothing. You will not accept teaching advice from anyone. Draw clear lines in the sand. You are perfectly entitled to do this provided you don't come off as being rude.

When you mix parents, arrogance, ignorance, and the desire to live vicariously through their kid, it's never good for anyone involved.

The ironic thing here is that even though you're the one without the kids, it's obviously them that have no clue how to bring up kids. Sounds like you know a lot more than they do.

These types of parents are such a grotesque stereotype. Is there a factory where they churn them out or something?

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I would end it by referring them to another teacher. I'll PM about the mother stuff.

As for the other two points, if people ask for a fun piece, give them a fun piece. In this case, I would have given Eleanor Rigby. No piece will be the Mecca they're hoping for, but they need to go through the process of learning that. Then I'd continue my own plans after that. You seem to have selected well with the Arabesque, but I'd even go to easier music. Many piano teachers give kids music that is too hard for them. Maybe one piece that stretches them is alright, but most pieces can be at their level or one level lower.

And when it comes to requests to be first on the program, I would allow it if it's before the printing of the programs. I let people go as they please because I don't believe in holding people. What is really gained by long recitals? Everybody out by 50 minutes is a good goal, and some sooner.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
In the beginning we all have to learn our scales and do technical exercises besides playing a few repertoire pieces. Liking music is a personal thing. A lot of parents get their kids enrolled into music as an academic exercise. A number of people in my family including myself took music lessons but hardly anybody can say they really like playing piano or the learning experience. In my adult years I got back into playing and enjoy playing almost every day of the week.

You are the teacher and tries to do things in a professional way. When somebody comments on your private life, it's stepping over the line. Your job is to teach piano as best you can. The least you should be getting an apology from the father and the mother.

There are parents who assume kids have a tendency to dislike music initially. But when you get them to practice piano or violin up to a certain level they will like it. I came across 1 case a kid got enrolled in the Yamaha program for piano. 1 of the parents was supposed to accompany the child for each lesson. The mother went to the lessons and noticed that she seemed to be practicing more than her 9 year-old kid. Coming from a non-musical family, the parents knew the child wasn't interested after a year and never forced him to continue with piano. In this case I don't know if changing teacher would do anything to increase his interest in music or piano playing.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You can tell the parents to find a "more capable" teacher. Don't refer any names. Just say good-bye.

Don't put up with the drama.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by SchroedersCat
I’ve been teaching a boy since he was just shy of 5 years old and we’re about to hit our 5th anniversary. He’s a fine student. He’s always prepared, does the work, advances well, plays challenging pieces at the recitals. He’s nearly done with PA 2B (we’d be further along, but they take him out of lessons for 4 months each year to travel) and at the last recital played the Clementi Sonatina. That’s a bit of a gap, right? Well, his Tiger Dad is an accomplished pianist and that’s where the real work happens. Dad makes sure that boy plays perfectly. I teach the child the concepts, Dad grooms him into a showpony.

The child hates it. He’s told me to my face: “I don’t like piano, I don’t like playing, but I’ll keep doing it because my dad wants me to”. This was after he finished the Clementi back in May. But I've known for years that his heart isn't in it. He's a good boy who does what he's told, so he makes good progress. I was satisfied with that even if there was a certain joylessness to the process.

I backed off this semester by giving him The Wild Horseman/Schumann and L’Arabesque/Burgmuller. Still fits dad’s requirements of Classical rep, but shorter and easier to tackle.

In the meantime, this whole time, all 5 years, the musically uneducated mother, who brings the boy to lessons, has been saying all kinds of things to me. Some snide comments about my lack of children (I am a woman of childbearing age but am not a mother) that I ignored. Requests to change the programs to put her child first so they wouldn’t have to stay for the whole event...I also ignored that. And of course, that I needed to give the boy “fun music”. I needed to make the lessons more fun, be more fun, all fun all the time!
And I ignored that too. I use the same highly varied coursework for all the students, which lots of options for recital pieces that come from all kinds of sources, and no one else is complaining about the music being unsatisfying.

But this last time, the mother was just so insistent that I “make the music fun”. I was fed up. So I sent an email to her and the husband explaining that the problem was the child didn’t enjoy piano and it wouldn’t matter what I assigned, he just doesn’t like playing piano.

Well. That resulted in the father telling me that his son a musical prodigy with perfect pitch (no….no he’s not) and a star athlete (huh? His allergies are so severe he wheezes just sitting at the piano), and how all his other teachers adore him, and how the problem is me BECAUSE I’M NOT A MOTHER. And then proceeded to tell me what boys need.

I was very upset by the father’s email, furious really, but decided to take the blame for everything and tell them I’d completely understand if they wanted to find a better teacher, since I clearly didn’t make them happy. But really, I just wanted them gone immediately. I offered to refund their payment for the month.

But no….they backpedaled, said their son told them how much he liked me, and playing piano, and how much he liked the pieces I gave him (????WHAT????) and that they were staying with me. That kid can’t tell his own parents the truth, he’s so scared of disappointing them.

Because they had just paid for the month, I wrote back and said, ok, we’ll continue the lessons, but if the boy loves piano and his pieces so much, then why is the wife constantly telling me I need to make it more fun?

They didn’t respond. But just sent the boy to his next lesson, never coming to the door to talk to me.

Ultimately, these parents think I have some kind of professional deficit because I’m not a mother, and I don’t want them in my studio because of that. It’s insulting….nay….it’s insanity. I just can’t even wrap my head around this logic. I was polite in my email where I suggested they move on to a new teacher, but now I need to make it a firm stance.

What would be the best way of telling them to leave? I don’t want back and forth, I don’t want a debate. I just want them gone. They are in the same school as about half my other students, so keeping a reasonable level of peace and professionalism is important. My plan is to wait until the final lesson of the month (through which they are paid), pretend everything is cool up until then, and then send them a dismissal notice.

Thank you for reading yet another one of my parent-teacher meltdown posts. I should update my other post about the twin girls and their insane father.

There are so many problems in this relationship that it can't work.

If you started with this boy before age 5 and he's now almost 10, either you do not have a relationship of trust with him, and he's not telling you what he really wants, or he is afraid of his father. When I start with children I find out what music they like, so by the time I have them for 5 years we know where we are heading.

Does HE know what he likes? Does he like anything at all? You need to find out. But then, even if you find music he likes, the father may attack you for "teaching the wrong music".

You can choose to hang in there if you really like the boy, but be prepared for ongoing abuse from the crazy parents.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Assuming you're right about his dis-interest in piano playing:

why do you want to teach the boy ? Do you want to help him out?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
What an unfortunate situation! The parents probably think they are giving you helpful advice rather than being abusive, but clearly things can't continue like this. I think you need to be firm and tell them that the last lesson will be at the end of the month, rather than waiting until then. Say that you are giving them time to find another teacher.

Private piano teacher
B. Mus., M.Mus. (piano performance & pedagogy).
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm not a piano teacher, but I am a human. They sound horrible. I encourage you to remove yourself from that situation as quickly as possible in whatever way you prefer.

Learner
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
In the Chinese community, I often hear insensitive remarks like this made. In this community, making such remarks is a cultural thing, unfortunately, usually not ill-intentioned, but insensitive and rarely appreciated by those outside the community.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
From what you've written, it seems to me the parents are abusive. They abuse their son by forcing him to do something he hates, and now they are abusing YOU, because you are not performing according to their authoritarian ideas of how you should be teaching their son.

They have also insulted you personally, calling into account your worth as a human being, because you are not a Mother! I am so sorry that you "...decided to take the blame..." and told them words to the effect that the boy needed a better teacher.

If Dad is an accomplished pianist, let HIM teach his own kid. Clearly only HE can meet his own demands.

As to the unfortunate son, let us hope that things don't progress to the point they did with a student of mine who also HATED taking piano lessons and was forced to do it by his parents. That boy tried killing himself at about age 12 - fortunately, unsuccessfully. It took me a while to fire this family, but it is done now. I will not participate in child abuse, and they were abusing him.

Finally, may I suggest that when someone questions your validity as a teacher, and perhaps, as a human being, because you have not produced a child, they have crossed a line which, at least in my opinion, frees you from any need to "be nice". In similar circumstances, the VERY NEXT words out of my mouth, and they would be on the phone, or face to face - no texts or emails - would be: "It is unfortunate that you feel this way. Your words give me no choice. I am terminating lessons effective immediately. Please LEAVE my studio". And, if they paid you for anything in advance, add: "I will send you a check for what is left of your pre-payment minus a cancellation fee by certified mail".

You don't have to put up with this garbage, so doh't.

Best wishes to you.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Seeker
From what you've written, it seems to me the parents are abusive. They abuse their son by forcing him to do something he hates, and now they are abusing YOU, because you are not performing according to their authoritarian ideas of how you should be teaching their son.

They have also insulted you personally, calling into account your worth as a human being, because you are not a Mother! I am so sorry that you "...decided to take the blame..." and told them words to the effect that the boy needed a better teacher.

If Dad is an accomplished pianist, let HIM teach his own kid. Clearly only HE can meet his own demands.

As to the unfortunate son, let us hope that things don't progress to the point they did with a student of mine who also HATED taking piano lessons and was forced to do it by his parents. That boy tried killing himself at about age 12 - fortunately, unsuccessfully. It took me a while to fire this family, but it is done now. I will not participate in child abuse, and they were abusing him.

Finally, may I suggest that when someone questions your validity as a teacher, and perhaps, as a human being, because you have not produced a child, they have crossed a line which, at least in my opinion, frees you from any need to "be nice". In similar circumstances, the VERY NEXT words out of my mouth, and they would be on the phone, or face to face - no texts or emails - would be: "It is unfortunate that you feel this way. Your words give me no choice. I am terminating lessons effective immediately. Please LEAVE my studio". And, if they paid you for anything in advance, add: "I will send you a check for what is left of your pre-payment minus a cancellation fee by certified mail".

You don't have to put up with this garbage, so doh't.

Best wishes to you.

thumb thumb

What this family is doing is egotistical and WRONG on so many levels: to the son
and to the teacher. Life is too short and too valuable to tolerate

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
In the Chinese community, I often hear insensitive remarks like this made. In this community, making such remarks is a cultural thing, unfortunately, usually not ill-intentioned, but insensitive and rarely appreciated by those outside the community.

I disagree. It is not a "cultural" thing. Some individuals choose to act that way.

I've encountered similar people, but I don't associate with them, nor do I wish to work for them.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
What awful people! Seeker provides excellent advice. I would not worry about a graceful way to end the relationship. I would definitely tell this family at the last lesson that it is not a good fit. End of story. You've been more than graceful and professional.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I disagree. It is not a "cultural" thing. Some individuals choose to act that way.

I've encountered similar people, but I don't associate with them, nor do I wish to work for them.

Sounds like you've been around a better class of people than I have! smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Gary D.

You can choose to hang in there if you really like the boy, but be prepared for ongoing abuse from the crazy parents.

I agree with Gary (as usual), except that my guess is that these abusive parents will now leave you alone for awhile. My advice is to keep this boy until Christmas (or next June) and then part ways with the family. If you just walk away now, that youngster will feel like he has been fired. Not nice for him, and he hasn't done anything wrong. He probably needs you more than you realize.

You simply need to ignore his parents. Or pull rank on them at every turn.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 10/16/18 02:15 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As someone who comes from aforementioned community, I would say such comments are definitely an individual's choice but I feel they also are more tolerated by that society than they are in American culture. What I mean is, probably no one has ever said to those parents that those kind of comments specifically are rude to say.

~piano teacher in training~
S
OP Offline
S
I really appreciate everyone's words, I feel validated in my reactions which is a relief.

And I was going to stick to my original plan until I read what Peter K. Mose had to say.

The boy may not like lessons, and we truly have no rapport-he does not speak to me, and my attempts at engaging him leave me feeling like I'm playing to a very cold room-but he's also just a child and I can tell he's the determined sort. Not a quitter. We've begun his recital pieces and it's going the way it always goes...solidly, though unmusically.

Now I'm not sure if keeping up this charade will only serve to provide more misery in the kid's life by having to continue with piano practice, or if he would be more upset at not following through on the recital. I'll see him today and and do my best to evaluate. I would be willing to keep him through the December recital then let the parents know then and there that we need to part ways.

As to why I've kept them this long...I'll be completely honest: it's because they pay me on time. No hassle, just cash. Considering some of the headache clients I have (whose children are wonderful students, so I put up with it) it's nice having a few clients you can count on to pay you on time. Look where my greed got me...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission