2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Yes fingers, it is that Bernard. thumb

fingers Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Here is the tour list so far:

1) LJC (+?)*
2) Kenny
3) Bernard
4) pianoloverus
5) Frank B.
6) Reliv4all (4)*
7) Rustyfingers
8) Jim Frazee
9) Pegg (2)*
10) turrin150
11) fingers
12) Sotto Voce

That's 16 definite so far.

Some not so definite:

1) EH Pianist/Laura
2) Vogel 54
3) piano again (2-3)*
4) C7 Player

We can have 20 people for the tour.

fingers

Playing piano at age 2, it was thought that I was some sort of idiot-savant. As it turns out, I'm just an idiot.
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I'd like to attend, too, if space permits.

fingers, do you happen to know if parking is available for visitors to the factory?

fingers Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Sotto Voce,

You are hereby on the list. smile

Parking is very available.

fingers

Playing piano at age 2, it was thought that I was some sort of idiot-savant. As it turns out, I'm just an idiot.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
We're in:

1) LJC (+?)*
2) Kenny
3) Bernard
4) pianoloverus
5) Frank B.
6) Reliv4all (4)*
7) Rustyfingers
8) Jim Frazee
9) Pegg (2)*
10) turrin150
11) fingers
12) Sotto Voce
13) EHpianist
14) Laura
15) Laura's husband
16) EHpianist's husband

How do we get there from the city without a car?

Elena
www.duoscarbo.com

Schnabel's advie to Horowitz: "When a piece gets difficult, make faces."
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Elena
www.duoscarbo.com [/QB][/QUOTE]

I share the question.

Bernard may know, being a local.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by EHpianist:
How do we get there from the city without a car?
It appears to be maybe three-quarters of a mile from the last stop on the N and W subway lines at 31st Street and Ditmars Boulevard in Astoria.

If that walk isn't doable, there probably won't be any yellow cabs cruising that part of Queens—but I know from experience that livery cabs are generally available in most NYC neighborhoods, especially around "end of the line" subway stations. (Technically, it isn't legal for them to pick up people who hail them on the street—they're supposed to be dispatched by radio to folks who've called for them in advance by telephone—but it certainly is standard practice.)

fingers Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
It looks like we have hit the limit of 20 people with the addition of EH Pianist and her 3 guests.

I have no clue about public transportation, but there is no reason I can't find out.

fingers

J
J
"It appears to be maybe three-quarters of a mile from the last stop on the N and W subway lines at 31st Street and Ditmars Boulevard in Astoria. "

Even on a nice day, even early in the morning, even on a workday, I would not be walking around this neighborhood folks.

PianoPerfection
Teacher, performer, technician
Westchester County, NY
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Jim Frazee:
Even on a nice day, even early in the morning, even on a workday, I would not be walking around this neighborhood folks.
In New York City, Astoria is known to be an especially safe neighborhood that has been gentrifying for many, many years. It was already a stable Greek-American community, not a slum. The only potentially problematic thing about the vicinity of the Steinway factory would seem to be the proximity of the entrance to Rikers Island.

The fact is, there doesn't appear to be any alternative public transportation aside from a couple of Queens bus routes that terminate at Rikers. That's not an attractive option.

Jim, you've made me curious if there's something about Astoria that I'm not aware of, and also what transit options you'd suggest. How are you planning to get there? Do you think it would be reasonable for the group to meet at the Ditmars Boulevard station and walk to the factory as a group?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Sotto Voce:
Do you think it would be reasonable for the group to meet at the Ditmars Boulevard station and walk to the factory as a group?
That sounds like an excellent idea to me. At least it would guarantee I wouldn't get lost! laugh

Elena
www.duoscarbo.com

Schnabel's advie to Horowitz: "When a piece gets difficult, make faces."
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
I like the idea of going together.
I'm worried about walking though, especially since it is a walking tour.

I have a foot injury (plantar fasciitis) and am stupid enough to plan a week in NYC.

I'll do my best if we have to walk but maybe a few of us wimps would like to share a taxi from a central location.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jim Frazee:
"It appears to be maybe three-quarters of a mile from the last stop on the N and W subway lines at 31st Street and Ditmars Boulevard in Astoria. "

When I took this tour around 10 years ago, I walked from the subway to the factory and it certainly did not seem like any part of the walk was in anyway dangerous in the slightest. Of course, I can understand why some out of towners might be less comfortable walking from the subway to the factory.

fingers and everyone, I called Steinway NY and here are directions they e-mailed me (They send this out to everyone):

DIRECTIONS TO STEINWAY & SONS

Address: One Steinway Place (38th Street and 19th Avenue), Long Island City, NY 11105

Subway Directions from Manhattan

Take N or W train going uptown to Astoria Queens - Get off at Ditmars Boulevard (last stop).
From there, either walk to 19th Avenue and 38th Street or get a local taxi.
All the drivers know how to get to the Steinway piano factory, but you can say you want to go to: 19th Avenue and 38th Street (trip should cost $5 or $6 dollars).
Whole trip from midtown Manhattan should take about 45 minutes.

Walking Directions from the Ditmars Subway Station

From the Ditmars subway station, continue walking in a northerly direction on 31st Street.
The first intersection you come to is Ditmars Blvd (a.k.a. 22nd Avenue) and 31st Street. Continue walking in a northerly direction on 31st Street until you pass 21st Avenue and arrive at 20th Avenue and 31st Street (31st Street ends at 20th Avenue).
Take a right on 20th Avenue and walk five blocks to 38th Street (there are no 32nd nor 34th Streets). Take a left at 38th Street and walk one block to 19th Avenue. You will then be at the corner of 19th Avenue and 38th Street - Entrance to factory is on 38th Street / 19th Ave..

Driving Directions from Manhattan – 59th Street Bridge

Use 59th Street Bridge lower level, stay in left lane and follow signs for Northern Boulevard.
Bear right and take Northern Boulevard, make a left turn on to Steinway Street, go straight until you reach 19th Avenue. Make a left on to 19th Avenue, go one block, make a right turn on to 38th Street - Entrance to factory is on 38th Street / 19th Avenue.

Driving Directions from Manhattan - Triboro Bridge

Get on the Triboro Bridge going to Queens, after toll, proceed to the right lane.
Get off the very first exit and proceed straight towards the elevated train.
As no left turn is allowed under the train station, drive through the train station then make the very first left at the light.
Make a left again and then a right. (You should be driving directly under train)
Make a right on 20th Avenue, then a left on 38th Street.
Entrance to factory is on 38th Street / 19th Avenue.

Additional parking in Shopping Mall located between 19th and 20th Avenues at 37th Street

[i]For Mapquest directions, our address is:
One Steinway Place, 19th Avenue & 38th Street, Astoria, NY 11105</i>

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by kenny:
I like the idea of going together.

I have a foot injury (plantar fasciitis) and am stupid enough to plan a week in NYC.

I'll do my best if we have to walk but maybe a few of us wimps would like to share a taxi from a central location.
I will be driving in (from Enfield, CT).
Theoretically a 2-1/2 hour drive, although I'm sure I will have to take traffic into account at that time of the morning.

Anyway, I could try to meet up with you somewhere. I have room for 4 people in my car.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Originally posted by Piano World:
Originally posted by kenny:
[b] I like the idea of going together.

I will be driving in (from Enfield, CT).
Theoretically a 2-1/2 hour drive, although I'm sure I will have to take traffic into account at that time of the morning.

Anyway, I could try to meet up with you somewhere. I have room for 4 people in my car. [/b]
Thanks Frank.
I'l PM you.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
Oh, yes, color me there!

-RF
Hmmm.. I thought your screen name sounded familiar!! Nice to see you hangin' out here! thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Looks like I can't make it anyway. I won't be in town until the next day.

I hope you guys have fun!

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
C
C
I wish I could join but NY is too far for a youngster like me, tell me how it is when you guys are done. With details smile . I have a question does Steinway do these tours often? ... Because I don't want to buy their pianos just so I can have a tour haha.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I would love to make it; I'm just not sure yet as that's a week filled with obligations for me. Fingers, if you get to the upper limit of participants, don't worry about me. Otherwise I'll try to let you know closer to the date.

I've been to the factory for a few of their piano sales, so I can attest that it is a safe and not-too-long walk from the subway.

I think it's cool that NYC has a Steinway St. and Steinway Pl. There is even a Steinway St. subway stop, if you want to see the Steinway name in mosaic tile!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission