Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Our December 2018 Piano Newsletter Is Here!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
119 registered members (90125, baudelairepianist, Arcflash, anncarley, bennevis, agent8698, AAC127, BeeZee4, AnnInMiami, 28 invisible), 1,907 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gas stove vs. window proximity #2757124
08/09/18 12:20 PM
08/09/18 12:20 PM
Los Angeles, CA
O
OperaMezzo Offline OP
OperaMezzo  Offline OP
O

Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have recently purchased my first new acoustic piano, an upright Schulz Pollmann 132A. It is currently still waiting in the showroom and probably will remain there for a few weeks until the space in which it will live is ready.

I have a very small 1922 bungalow in Los Angeles. I am in the Silverlake area where it can get fairly hot and cold. The walls are not very thick or well insulated. The living room, where the piano will be, has only one interior wall and the portion of that wall that is wide enough for the piano, and not taken up by doorways, is not far from a fake fireplace on the adjacent wall which is where the gas heater is located. I am planning to replace the gas heater with a cast iron, direct vent gas stove. Regency-Hampton H15 is a likely model for the gas stove. Of the two remaining walls, on the first there is a spot between two windows, just big enough for the piano, on the sunniest and hottest side of the house, and on the second wall a spot between french door windows and the front door, slightly wider space, on a wall that is somewhat shaded

The room is about 11x21. The sunniest, hottest wall is the furthest from the heater, the interior wall is the closest to the heater.

I saw another thread here discussing wood stoves and am wondering if a natural gas stove poses the same threat to the piano. The direct vent gas stove does not exchange any air between inside and outside, from what I understand.

How can I choose between daily temperature shifts on an outside wall vs. possible dryness and heat in winter? Humidity control? Heat shield between piano and gas stove? Keep piano on interior wall and move it to Exterior wall in the winter?

I look forward to any input!

B

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2757135
08/09/18 12:42 PM
08/09/18 12:42 PM
Los Angeles, CA
O
OperaMezzo Offline OP
OperaMezzo  Offline OP
O

Los Angeles, CA
Clarification on room size. Room has two parts with different widths. In portion of room where heater and interior wall are the width is 12.5’. So the heater is basically centered on the 12.5 wall, more or less. Interior wall is about 5.5’ from corner of gas stove.

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2757141
08/09/18 12:53 PM
08/09/18 12:53 PM
Nashville, TN
P
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pianolance  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

Nashville, TN
Any heat source including wood stoves, gas heaters, hot air vents, fireplaces, etc can pose a danger to the piano in the form of drying out the wood. If there's no way to avoid close proximity to a heat source then a damp chaser is in order.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2757145
08/09/18 01:05 PM
08/09/18 01:05 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California

Given that the problems are all around the perimeter, the best idea would be to find a way of putting the piano in the middle of the room.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2757162
08/09/18 02:26 PM
08/09/18 02:26 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

London
Opera Mezzo, welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with these gas stoves. Does the metal body of the stove get hot to the touch? (Or if not, how does the heat get out?)

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2757189
08/09/18 04:35 PM
08/09/18 04:35 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
The title of this thread kind of reminds me of a joke I heard many years ago. A guy jumps out of an airplane with a parachute on, pulls the rip-cord and nothing happened; he was in a free-fall headed toward the ground and the parachute didn't open. In a panic he looks down and sees this guy traveling upward toward the stratosphere at a fast pace. The parachutist yells out and asks the guy if he knows anything about parachutes. The upward traveler yells back and says no, do you know anything about lighting a gas stove. smile (I'd never make it as a comedian:-)

Jesting aside, you are dealing with two primary kinds of heat, convection and radiation. Convection heats the air surrounding the objects in the heated space, which in turn heats the objects in the heated space. Radiation heats objects in the path of the radiant waves without heating the space it travels through. If convection is the primary type of heat emitted by the gas stove, having the piano several feet away should be fine. I'd avoid the radiant heat (glows red), if that is what you are dealing with.

Having the piano closer to a window may be better than having it too close to the heater. It would be good if you could strike a balance and try to control the relative humidity in the room where the piano is located.

Good luck, and welcome to Piano World! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: Rickster] #2757227
08/09/18 08:14 PM
08/09/18 08:14 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
1000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Rickster
The title of this thread kind of reminds me of a joke I heard many years ago. A guy jumps out of an airplane with a parachute on, pulls the rip-cord and nothing happened; he was in a free-fall headed toward the ground and the parachute didn't open. In a panic he looks down and sees this guy traveling upward toward the stratosphere at a fast pace. The parachutist yells out and asks the guy if he knows anything about parachutes. The upward traveler yells back and says no, do you know anything about lighting a gas stove. smile (I'd never make it as a comedian:-)

Jesting aside, you are dealing with two primary kinds of heat, convection and radiation. Convection heats the air surrounding the objects in the heated space, which in turn heats the objects in the heated space. Radiation heats objects in the path of the radiant waves without heating the space it travels through. If convection is the primary type of heat emitted by the gas stove, having the piano several feet away should be fine. I'd avoid the radiant heat (glows red), if that is what you are dealing with.

Having the piano closer to a window may be better than having it too close to the heater. It would be good if you could strike a balance and try to control the relative humidity in the room where the piano is located.

Good luck, and welcome to Piano World! smile

Rick

grin ha

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2757286
08/10/18 03:43 AM
08/10/18 03:43 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
The problem with any form of heating is that it raises the temperature without adding humidity so the relative humidity of the air drops and the piano dries out.

The only exception I know is a simple gas stove venting into the room. With these the gas combustion itself produces water vapour which adds to the humidity and as such is much kinder to the piano. I'm planning to get a smallish bottled gas catalytic heater just for the piano room this winter.

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: David-G] #2757421
08/10/18 02:12 PM
08/10/18 02:12 PM
Los Angeles, CA
O
OperaMezzo Offline OP
OperaMezzo  Offline OP
O

Los Angeles, CA
Yes, the stove is cast iron and gets hot. It has a glass face so most heat moves out the front but the body of the stove does hold the heat and radiate it.

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: Rickster] #2757425
08/10/18 02:17 PM
08/10/18 02:17 PM
Los Angeles, CA
O
OperaMezzo Offline OP
OperaMezzo  Offline OP
O

Los Angeles, CA
Good joke. Looks like my chances for survival are slim. smile

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2757429
08/10/18 02:27 PM
08/10/18 02:27 PM
Los Angeles, CA
O
OperaMezzo Offline OP
OperaMezzo  Offline OP
O

Los Angeles, CA

Thank you all for your input so far! I’ve never actually been on a forum like this before and couldn’t navigate well to find your responses. Thinking no one had seen it, I reposted in the Tuning and Technical forum on this site as well. Hope that that is not bad form.

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: gwing] #2757475
08/10/18 04:15 PM
08/10/18 04:15 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by gwing
The only exception I know is a simple gas stove venting into the room. With these the gas combustion itself produces water vapour which adds to the humidity

Venting into the room is prohibited by the building codes here in the States -- because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2757505
08/10/18 06:02 PM
08/10/18 06:02 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

London
Originally Posted by OperaMezzo
Yes, the stove is cast iron and gets hot. It has a glass face so most heat moves out the front but the body of the stove does hold the heat and radiate it.

That is as I feared. You really must not put the piano anywhere near the stove, where the hot body of the stove might warm it through radiative heating. I would put it on one of the "two remaining walls", as far from the stove as possible. You could mitigate the effects of warmth in the sunny corner, or fresh air from the doors, by installing a Dampp Chaser as suggested by Peter.

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2757507
08/10/18 06:04 PM
08/10/18 06:04 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

London
Originally Posted by OperaMezzo

Thank you all for your input so far! I’ve never actually been on a forum like this before and couldn’t navigate well to find your responses. Thinking no one had seen it, I reposted in the Tuning and Technical forum on this site as well. Hope that that is not bad form.

That's fine, don't worry about it! Just remember to check for answers in both forums.

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2763857
09/06/18 09:00 PM
09/06/18 09:00 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
500 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Where did you end up putting your piano .I really like Schultz and polman pianos.

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2772150
10/13/18 01:17 PM
10/13/18 01:17 PM
Los Angeles, CA
O
OperaMezzo Offline OP
OperaMezzo  Offline OP
O

Los Angeles, CA
The piano is finally in it’s new home! There was a long delay while the house was being painted. So happy to have it now! It is on the sunny side of the house between the two windows but far away from the gas stove, or where it will be, not yet installed. I have been checking the inside of window, wall, and piano to feel for any warmth on hottter days. It doesn’t seem to get warm at all. I’m being very carful to keep curtains closed to block direct sunlight. I’ll try to post a pic!

I have posted a new thread to solve the mystery of the extra panels that came with the piano. If anyone has any insights on that I’d love to hear.

Thanks everybody!
B

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2772285
10/14/18 01:37 AM
10/14/18 01:37 AM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
My old Yamaha piano which I sold used to stand with the back of the piano against the outside wall .I had a plastic board cut which I put behind the piano protecting it from any cold or possible dampness from the wall .You could buy a cover for the piano as well or cover with a old quilt or blanket to protect it from the draft from the door or a window. By a cheap digital hygrometer to check the drops in humidity. Congratulations on your new piano.

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2772459
10/14/18 04:48 PM
10/14/18 04:48 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
132A am I right in thinking it is an upright piano ?Do you think you could send a picture ?It would great to see .Extra panels with the piano ?Where did you post this on piano world ? I once played a Shultz and Polman piano at a musical evening .It was a grand .Loved it .Then when looking for a new upright I tried one of thier uprights .,The tone was exquisite .The piano was lovely to look at too .They make the most beautiful cabinets for thier pianos!

Re: Gas stove vs. window proximity [Re: OperaMezzo] #2774642
10/22/18 02:57 PM
10/22/18 02:57 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Opera Mezzo ,
How are you enjoying your new piano ? Is it holding up well .Sometimes new pianos need more frequent tunings and attention. No problem it's just because it is new .If you have time let us know how it is going .Regards .

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thoughts on Casio PX-330 vs. PX-160?
by Arcflash. 12/16/18 05:36 PM
Keyboard and Climate Change?
by malkin. 12/16/18 05:05 PM
What are scales in "long form?"
by Tyrone Slothrop. 12/16/18 03:51 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,947
Posts2,771,996
Members91,783
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission