2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1860s-Steinway-Grand-Piano/223180804659

This purports to be an offer of an 1865 Steinway for $2,500 (starting bid). The photo checks out for a Large Concert Grand of that year, except the serial number should be stamped in the plate, not the pinblock. The details of the plate, including the 17-note bass section, are the same as the overhead view in the 1881 catalog. The decal is nearly correct -- there should be an underscore between "Patent" and "Grand".

However, I can't believe the price. It is also unlikely that such a museum piece would be in somebody's living room in Rockville, Maryland. Has anybody encountered this before as a scam?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The seller has only positive feedbacks, but only from sellers, not buyers.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by edferris
However, I can't believe the price. It is also unlikely that such a museum piece would be in somebody's living room in Rockville, Maryland. Has anybody encountered this before as a scam?

Parts of Rockville border on Potomac and Bethesda and are rather posh.

Seller says only local pickup. Presumably then, you are local. Why not ask to see it then?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
As you know, condition eventually determines price, except, of course, for those totally unaware. I can't imagine that this would be anything more than a core candidate for a possible rebuild. But would there by any market for a 85-key rebuilt Steinway?

For all we know the seller may have already found out that this piano has little value and is just hoping to get rid of it.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
E
OP Offline
E
It has 88 keys. That's what shows it's a Large instead of Parlor Grand. The photos don't make it look 8 feet 4 inches long. That size may be one reason the general public is not bidding on it. I think the rebuilders here will say even as a carcass it's worth the money.
I'm not in the area, but I can hire a piano tech there to evaluate it. If nobody can say this is a scam, I'll do that and prepare to pony up the moving cost. I kinda like big old Steinways.
And it did occur to me that maybe this instrument was bought by a Washington politician who knew Abe Lincoln and has been moved around the locality ever since.

B
BDB Offline
B
I do not understand why you think this is particularly unusual. Steinways are all over, and there is very little demand for these old ones, so the asking price seems reasonable. I would not buy it if I wanted a working piano for this price, but who knows? Asking prices and selling prices are not the same.

The pictures show 85 keys.

Last edited by BDB; 10/13/18 02:29 PM.

Semipro Tech
P
P
I agree with BDB. It's a real old banger, and there's nothing unusual about finding an S&S in that condition.

There are always loads in that state at the London piano auction - and they fetch next to nothing, if they're even sold at all. Or they're bought dirt cheap and sent to Poland for a rebuild and then sold for exorbitant amounts - yet usually sound horrific, in my opinion.

It's 85 notes.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by edferris
It has 88 keys. [...]

Check again. It only goes up to A7, so only 85 keys; an 88-key piano goes up to C.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
E
OP Offline
E
Fooled me. I thought short keyboards left off A0-B0. So you couldn't play the Brahms Third Sonata on this one.
If instruments this old show up at auctions, I suppose this isn't a bargain. Our local tech bought a 1914 Steinway B with "shredded" soundboard for $6,000; a rebuilder in Northern Indiana starts his prices at $20,000 for carcass instruments not rebuilt. So I thought getting one for $4,000, counting in the move, was pretty good.
Thanks for the advice.

D
D
It's an 85 note Style 1 Steinway. It has an exposed pinblock. Serial numbers from that era were stamped into the wood. It has the old style rocker action, and if it sells for more than $3000, I'd be surprised. No one has bid on it as of yet.

Dan Wilson
World Class Piano Gallery.
Woodstock GA USA!!
(866) 333-0142

Wholesale purchase/sales of used Steinway grand pianos

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission