Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
73 registered members (Animisha, Antihero, AlphaBravoCharlie, Adypiano, Ankee, atamgp, aphexdisklavier, 36251, andrea monza, AndyP, 13 invisible), 1,123 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 488 of 505 1 2 486 487 488 489 490 504 505
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2770261
10/07/18 12:22 PM
10/07/18 12:22 PM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Online content

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Online Content

2000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
I have not posted here in a while, but today I have an AOTW worth celebrating. I did two Advanced Performance Workshops this weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. These are get togethers of my teacher's grade 8 and deploma level students to play for each other and critique.I played the pieces I will play in my upcoming Grade 8 exam. On Saturday I played my Beethoven 1.2 Sonata in F Minor and Bach Gigue from French Suite V. Both went very well, and I received good positive feedback. However, my hands were trembling all the way through the Beethoven. The last time I played this piece in performance was the EPP in Germany and it did not go well. This time it was virtually error free! That was a big confidence booster. I played again on Sunday to a different group, and played the Beethoven again, as well as Astor's Adriana. The feedback was very positive, and I was calm- no shakiness. My teacher commented that the Beethoven sounded confident and it would have passed the exam (three weeks away eek) All in all a very confidence building weekend!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS] #2770265
10/07/18 12:26 PM
10/07/18 12:26 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by SwissMS
I have not posted here in a while, but today I have an AOTW worth celebrating. I did two Advanced Performance Workshops this weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. These are get togethers of my teacher's grade 8 and deploma level students to play for each other and critique.I played the pieces I will play in my upcoming Grade 8 exam. On Saturday I played my Beethoven 1.2 Sonata in F Minor and Bach Gigue from French Suite V. Both went very well, and I received good positive feedback. However, my hands were trembling all the way through the Beethoven. The last time I played this piece in performance was the EPP in Germany and it did not go well. This time it was virtually error free! That was a big confidence booster. I played again on Sunday to a different group, and played the Beethoven again, as well as Astor's Adriana. The feedback was very positive, and I was calm- no shakiness. My teacher commented that the Beethoven sounded confident and it would have passed the exam (three weeks away eek) All in all a very confidence building weekend!

Very good news. Good luck in three weeks! thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS] #2770276
10/07/18 01:00 PM
10/07/18 01:00 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
Good for you, SwissMS! It sounds like you are well prepared to share your beautiful music with appreciative listeners!

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: LarryShone] #2770277
10/07/18 01:01 PM
10/07/18 01:01 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline

Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
Good job Larry! I'm still working on the first few exercises in my Czerny book; there is so much to learn from them!

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2771924
10/12/18 05:59 PM
10/12/18 05:59 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline

Quebec city, QC
It's been like 2 months that I'm less motivated, that I don't practice very much. I often go to my piano, play / practice for like 15 minutes, then quit without having achieved anything.

I had a lesson yesterday. I was a little bit ashamed by my lack of practice, so progress, in the past weeks.
Anyhow, my teacher was very generous of his time, extending the lesson by 30 minutes (1h15 normally, so 1h45 yesterday), because he will be out of town the next 3 weeks, so I won't have lessons. I was even more embarrassed that I haven't practice more.

He gave me some tips on how I should practice. So, today, I've started my practice with that in mind, instead of my usual... lack of method recently. I've refrained to let me disturb by the computer and practiced for 1h30, in an intelligent way. For once in many weeks, I feel like I've done something meaningful with my time at the piano. It is so relieving to feel this again!

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2771963
10/12/18 08:01 PM
10/12/18 08:01 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by CadenzaVvi
It's been like 2 months that I'm less motivated, that I don't practice very much. I often go to my piano, play / practice for like 15 minutes, then quit without having achieved anything.

I had a lesson yesterday. I was a little bit ashamed by my lack of practice, so progress, in the past weeks.
Anyhow, my teacher was very generous of his time, extending the lesson by 30 minutes (1h15 normally, so 1h45 yesterday), because he will be out of town the next 3 weeks, so I won't have lessons. I was even more embarrassed that I haven't practice more.

He gave me some tips on how I should practice. So, today, I've started my practice with that in mind, instead of my usual... lack of method recently. I've refrained to let me disturb by the computer and practiced for 1h30, in an intelligent way. For once in many weeks, I feel like I've done something meaningful with my time at the piano. It is so relieving to feel this again!

Way to go Jouishy!

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2772130
10/13/18 01:01 PM
10/13/18 01:01 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline

Progman  Offline

P

Southeast USA
Originally Posted by CadenzaVvi

Glad you found a hook back in! You are quite talented for only a couple years along - Good Luck!

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2772249
10/13/18 09:54 PM
10/13/18 09:54 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline

Quebec city, QC
Thanks to you two.

I've had a good progress over the past 2,5 years, but I have to continue practicing to keep improving! smile

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2772505
10/14/18 09:06 PM
10/14/18 09:06 PM
LA County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LA County, California
Glad you're back, CadenzaVVi (Jouishy).

My achievement was surviving another recital, haha. I don't know why I torture myself and sign up. So much stress.

One thing that bugs me is that because I'm nervous, I feel like there is less blood flow to my hands, and therefore not as nimble.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2772508
10/14/18 09:17 PM
10/14/18 09:17 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

My achievement was surviving another recital, haha. I don't know why I torture myself and sign up. So much stress.

One thing that bugs me is that because I'm nervous, I feel like there is less blood flow to my hands, and therefore not as nimble.

I have to remind myself to take deep breathes- before I begin to play, and also throughout the piece. Helps to oxygenate the body. 😊

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2772509
10/14/18 09:22 PM
10/14/18 09:22 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

My achievement is participating in my first ABF recital and submitting my piece exactly 8 months to the day after I started my pianistic journey. This forum (and CadenzaVvi's progress videos on youtube grin) have kept me motivated. Thanks all! smile

BTW, I got last minute cold feet and thought I started my piece too late to be able polish it, and my teacher powered through (by strategically ignoring wink ) my reluctance, dragging foot, and hints that I wasn't going to make it. (Thanks Teach! thumb)

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: dogperson] #2772513
10/14/18 09:35 PM
10/14/18 09:35 PM
LA County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LA County, California
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

I have to remind myself to take deep breathes- before I begin to play, and also throughout the piece. Helps to oxygenate the body. 😊

Maybe next time they will let me play with an oxygen tank and mask laugh

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2772533
10/14/18 10:41 PM
10/14/18 10:41 PM
LA County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LA County, California
PS - The recital I referred to was the one at the music school I take lessons at, not the Slavic recital here smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2772620
10/15/18 06:33 AM
10/15/18 06:33 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline

Silver Level
cmb13  Offline

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Amazing! You should be proud! Did you post it?

I have yet to do an actual live recital but my teacher is encouraging me to participate in the one here at the university (it’s for the local students, mostly kids, not the college students). He suggested the Nocturne I’m working on and the Liszt I finished months ago, with more polishing and memorization. I’m not so sure. It would be a lot of effort and stress.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2772649
10/15/18 08:52 AM
10/15/18 08:52 AM
LA County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LA County, California
If there is something to post, I will. But I don't think the school had any video cameras rolling, at least I didn't see any. I think all they were doing was taking pictures. There will be another concert in January and then in June of next year they will have something at the Samueli Theatre of Segerstrom Center for the Arts. The event at Segerstrom is costly though, not sure if I want to spend that much for stress, but it is a nice venue. I'm guessing they will do video there.

In yesterday's time block, I was the only adult and played at the very end, so it was even more stressful sitting and waiting for my turn. It was fun watching the kids though. This one kid, maybe 5 or 6, just banged on the drum maybe 8 times. But he was so super excited and smiling the entire time. Probably the best performance smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2772992
10/16/18 11:01 AM
10/16/18 11:01 AM
L
Lihp Offline
Lihp  Offline
L

Very small achievement compared to most here. However, I have been struggling a lot with a simple piece in "It's never too late to play piano" by Pam Wedgwood called Rock On!

It features a steady staccato rhythm of quarter notes (made up of fifths, with jumps every bar) in the left hand, and the rhythm of a mix of whole down to 8th notes in the right. I was struggling to maintain the steady rhythm in my left while it varies in my right.

However, my brain did that strange thing, where one day you can't do it. The next day it's all clicked into place.

It's quite astonishing what rest a nights sleep can do for your muscle memory and learning.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: barbaram] #2774522
10/22/18 08:38 AM
10/22/18 08:38 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
This thread continues to be one of the best features of the ABF. It is always my go-to read whenever opening PW.... whether you are a thread vet or newbie, there is no better place to document, celebrate, and learn from our individual piano adventures. Thanks to each of you for sharing, and congrats on each of your AOTWs big and small.

After being pretty inactive here all year I finally have a real live AOTW... like Casinitaly's recent EPP performance, it is probably my AOTYear too.

I have wanted to play Debussy's Claire de Lune since my self taught rookie year in 2009. Indeed, I finally sought out a teacher after bogging down with Hugh Sung's CDL tutorial on pw at the end of that year. So, I was pretty excited last January when my teacher finally said it was time for me to have a crack at it.

So, I have worked on it all year, at times doubting it would ever come together even though I had all the notes down after several months. But slowly it started to sound like music...in parts.. Since I'm only practicing about an hour daily it wasn't clear to me it would ever sound any good to a listener, however. That changed about a month ago when my wife started making unsolicited compliments on it and my teacher started saying it was coming together. Then at this week's lesson she told me there isn't much more she can help with. She actually said it sounds "professional" and that I had taken it way further than she expected and way further than any other piece I've worked on. She wants me to record it for an ABF recital, which I will probably do at some point.

Needless to say, all of this has put quite a smile on my face! It makes it twice as nice having someone like all of you share my excitement with. Thanks for being here to everyone.

Jim

Last edited by JimF; 10/22/18 08:39 AM.

Consolation No.2 E maj, F.Liszt
Nocturne C# minor, FChopin
Clair de Lune, C.Debussy

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2774527
10/22/18 08:55 AM
10/22/18 08:55 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Hi Jim
Congrats! Wow. This is quite an achievement that should put a permanent jog in your steo 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2774536
10/22/18 09:40 AM
10/22/18 09:40 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline

Silver Level
cmb13  Offline

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Amazing, Jim! When are you going to perform it live? S FL isn't that big, I could probably make a trip smile.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2774539
10/22/18 09:46 AM
10/22/18 09:46 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline

Silver Level
cmb13  Offline

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
I have a couple AOTW's -

I finally began working on minor scales. Started with Amin, Emin, Bmin, and Dmin. I wrote out sheets on them on Musescore, and I'm playing all three. They're coming along nicely. Better than my broken chord practice, I'd say.

I have also finally started to work on reading / sight reading. My teacher gave me some beginner books of music (1 -2 page easy versions of pop songs), and I find this more difficult than I had imagined. But then I picked up some advanced pieces (eg intermediate classical pieces that have arpeggiated bass lines) that I am more used to, and these are strangely easier. I guess it's what I've become accustomed to playing.

Finally, at my teacher's request, I am trying to memorize some of my repertoire. I have Bach's Prelude in C, most of Liszt's Consolation in Db, and most of the Chopin Nocturne in C#min memorized.

A lot of work this week. smile Labor of Love!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Page 488 of 505 1 2 486 487 488 489 490 504 505

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Careless Whisper - easy question
by XxKeldecknightxX. 10/23/19 03:32 AM
EV ZXA1 - Ruggedness Testing
by Charles Cohen. 10/23/19 03:08 AM
2011 Yamaha GC2
by inna_denver. 10/22/19 11:17 PM
Has anybody used Schaum series?
by Mils. 10/22/19 10:41 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,687
Posts2,882,382
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission