Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Our December 2018 Piano Newsletter Is Here!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
135 registered members (ando, Arcflash, BarryR, 90125, AnnInMiami, ahinton, baudelairepianist, accordeur, amad23, 31 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? #2771659
10/11/18 09:41 PM
10/11/18 09:41 PM
B
brassplyer Offline OP
brassplyer  Offline OP
B

From the first time you laid eyes on it how long do you estimate it took you to play it at an acceptable performance speed/accuracy? How advanced a player were you when you first tackled it?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? [Re: brassplyer] #2771679
10/11/18 11:49 PM
10/11/18 11:49 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Not to be flippant - although it may appear so - it takes as long as it takes.

There are too many variables to answer that question reasonably, and since everyone will have a different answer what is the purpose of the question?

"first laid eyes on it"? - but had I heard it before? a few times? many times? how familiar was I with it?
"acceptable performance"? - what is "acceptable"? by whose standard? "performance"? public? private? for whom?
"how advanced a player"? - criteria for "advanced" can be all over the map.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? [Re: BruceD] #2771687
10/12/18 12:41 AM
10/12/18 12:41 AM
B
brassplyer Offline OP
brassplyer  Offline OP
B

Originally Posted by BruceD
Not to be flippant - although it may appear so - it takes as long as it takes.

There are too many variables to answer that question reasonably, and since everyone will have a different answer what is the purpose of the question?

"first laid eyes on it"? - but had I heard it before? a few times? many times? how familiar was I with it?
"acceptable performance"? - what is "acceptable"? by whose standard? "performance"? public? private? for whom?
"how advanced a player"? - criteria for "advanced" can be all over the map.

First laid eyes on the printed music with the intent of learning it regardless of how long one has been listening to it.

Whatever is the most accurate answer any who answer it can give. By whose standard - yours. "Acceptable" doesn't have to rival Valentina Lisitsa.

everyone will have a different answer

That's fine - answer with whatever qualifiers you feel are needed.

Last edited by brassplyer; 10/12/18 12:44 AM.
Re: How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? [Re: brassplyer] #2771692
10/12/18 01:15 AM
10/12/18 01:15 AM
New York
Mark_C Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Online Content

New York
I hesitated to say something because of things like what Bruce said, but since you're wondering, and really, it's not an unreasonable question, even if only for curiosity....

I don't remember. ha

Not exactly. But best I remember, I'd say it was about a week -- provided we define "acceptable" loosely.

If we define it stricter, the answer would be never. smile

Which is part of why it's so hard to answer, the rest of it being that everyone is different.

Also, regarding how quickly I sort of learned it, it's important to note that I had heard the piece a gajillion times, and knew very well "how it goes." That makes a big difference. As to what my level was, I guess you'd say 'advanced amateur.' I had worked on many other pieces of comparable and greater difficulty.

Re: How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? [Re: brassplyer] #2771699
10/12/18 01:54 AM
10/12/18 01:54 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
I've never played it as a student, but I've taught it a few times. The students are already advanced, and they took approximately 2 months to learn the notes and play to an acceptable level. One of these students polished the piece for approximately a year and played it at a competition and won first place.

But by "advanced," I mean they have already been playing piano for more than seven years and made tremendous progress. Players who are less than advanced should stay away from it.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? [Re: AZNpiano] #2771747
10/12/18 07:28 AM
10/12/18 07:28 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by AZNpiano
The students are already advanced, and they took approximately 2 months to learn the notes and play to an acceptable level. One of these students polished the piece for approximately a year and played it at a competition and won first place.

I have a question about this. Clearly Movement 3 is very advanced - I see in the McGrath guide, it is marked as a Grade 10 and AGME lists it as a Grade 9. The professionals I've heard on Youtube... example:

...play it a lot better than the self-taught amateurs I've heard on Youtube, including Pizza Dude wink... example:

...or even piano students who could not possibly have been practicing it more than a few months because of their age such as:

Clearly, even as a non-professional, I myself can already hear differences in tempo, smoothness, rubato, dynamics, articulation, etc., between these three examples.

So you said, "play to an acceptable level". What does a piano teacher consider "acceptable" level when an amateur or student plays such an advanced piece that professionals even still make recordings of it? Can you give us your definition of "acceptable" for students and amateurs on such a piece as this? For example, taking as given the first example is of course acceptable, would either of the latter two examples above from students/amateurs be considered acceptable to you? Or did you mean "acceptable" to be a relative term based on the grade level of the student playing it?

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? [Re: AZNpiano] #2771757
10/12/18 07:50 AM
10/12/18 07:50 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I've never played it as a student, but I've taught it a few times.

I assume here you meant that you have played it / do play it now but didn't play it as a student. But it seems like it is possible to teach it without ever having played it oneself for some teachers (0:52):

Perhaps this is a question for the teachers forum, but how can it be possible to teach a difficult piece that one has never played oneself before? Doesn't the act of teaching such a piece even already partially, mentally train oneself on the piece even without laying fingers on the keyboard?

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? [Re: brassplyer] #2771774
10/12/18 08:24 AM
10/12/18 08:24 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
Hi Tyrone
It is a common misconception, but It is not possible, nor needed, for a good teacher to have played the particular advanced music in order to teach it. ... and teach it well. My musical preferences are not those of my teachers, so they have only played about 25% of what I learn, but have no problems teaching all of the repertoire equally well. It is probably more mental work for them, but the lessons are seamless.

Re: How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? [Re: dogperson] #2771789
10/12/18 09:04 AM
10/12/18 09:04 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by dogperson
Hi Tyrone
It is a common misconception, but It is not possible, nor needed, for a good teacher to have played the particular advanced music in order to teach it. ... and teach it well. My musical preferences are not those of my teachers, so they have only played about 25% of what I learn, but have no problems teaching all of the repertoire equally well. It is probably more mental work for them, but the lessons are seamless.
I certainly agree because the teacher is still bringing all their general musical understanding, interpretive ability, familiarity with the composer's other music, ability to solve technical problems, etc. to the table. OTOH I also think that the teacher will bring even more insight into a piece if they have played it.

Re: How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? [Re: brassplyer] #2771864
10/12/18 01:54 PM
10/12/18 01:54 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Let's put it this way: Is it possible for a piano teacher to know EVERY piece in the standard repertoire? Let's take Scarlatti as an example. He wrote over 550 keyboard sonatas. How many people on Earth have actually played all of them? And that is just one composer.

When you teach many advanced students, it is impossible to play everything they play. However, as a teacher you should know how to tackle each piece and figure out solutions to technical and interpretive problems. There are so many "death traps" in Moonlight 3rd movement, I can't imagine any sane person playing it (nicely, musically) until advanced level.

FWIW, I can play the movement, not at a super fast tempo, but sufficiently well to negotiate the difficult spots and overcome the difficult passages. This is one movement that requires precise fingering. There are some spots that have more than one possible fingering, and the student should try different combinations to see which one works best. There's also a spot where students with small hands cannot play the trill as written, so a musical alternative must be sought.

Re: How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? [Re: brassplyer] #2771866
10/12/18 01:55 PM
10/12/18 01:55 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Let's put it this way: Is it possible for a piano teacher to know EVERY piece in the standard repertoire? Let's take Scarlatti as an example. He wrote over 550 keyboard sonatas. How many people on Earth have actually played all of them? And that is just one composer.

When you teach many advanced students, it is impossible to play everything they play. However, as a teacher you should know how to tackle each piece and figure out solutions to technical and interpretive problems. There are so many "death traps" in Moonlight 3rd movement, I can't imagine any sane person playing it (nicely, musically) until advanced level.

FWIW, I can play the movement, not at a super fast tempo, but sufficiently well to negotiate the difficult spots and overcome the difficult passages. This is one movement that requires precise fingering. There are some spots that have more than one possible fingering, and the student should try different combinations to see which one works best. There's also a spot where students with small hands cannot play the trill as written, so a musical alternative must be sought.

Re: How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? [Re: brassplyer] #2772451
10/14/18 04:07 PM
10/14/18 04:07 PM
D
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dolce sfogato  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

it took me a week to play it from memory at speed, it took me years to play the whole sonata, I forget it all the time, but now, when ever I have to prform it, it takes a day or 2.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Re: How long did it take you to work up Moonlight 3rd mvt? [Re: brassplyer] #2772689
10/15/18 10:13 AM
10/15/18 10:13 AM
C
cardguy2.0 Offline
cardguy2.0  Offline
C

I love the little kid! Holy crap. Of course it's pretty ragged, but I can't conceive someone at such a young age playing like this. Yes, yes, child prodigies are nothing special in that there seem to be more and more of them. Still, it's pretty damn amazing. What could he be? 4? I need a drink.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What are scales in "long form?"
by Tyrone Slothrop. 12/16/18 03:51 PM
Any info on SHUTES spinet piano?
by Mystery. 12/16/18 03:13 PM
Clicks, squeaks, and buzzes...
by Wry Guy. 12/16/18 03:07 PM
How do switch Local Control on/off from PC?
by WarrenY. 12/16/18 02:03 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,945
Posts2,771,969
Members91,783
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission