2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
The Privia PX-750 has passable on-board speakers but it would be great to have better ones. Anyone have enough electronics know-how to advise on how to run better speakers externally? Warranty not a consideration in my case.

Last edited by brassplyer; 10/11/18 09:09 AM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by brassplyer
The Privia PX-750 has passable on-board speakers but it would be great to have better ones. Anyone have enough electronics know-how to advise on how to run better speakers externally? Warranty not a consideration in my case.

Is this (speaker upgrade) predominantly for you to listen to as a player or for performing to others?

If it was for you predominantly then perhaps look at studio monitors, if it was for performance you are likely going to need an amplifier...(haven't had the need for an amplifier myself - only studio monitors),

Last edited by jamiecw; 10/11/18 09:36 AM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Does the PX-750 have output jacks? Up until last week, I was playing on a Casio PX-830, and I used a pair of decent computer speakers with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Genius-SP-HF1800A-Three-way-Hi-Fi-Speakers/dp/B0041Q9PZ0/

It was just as simple as plugging them into one of the headphone jacks. They sounded quite nice, I thought - definitely an improvement. This particular pair looks out of production, but there are new versions of that same type from that company, and really, I suspect anything like that would do.

After that, you're probably looking at a more serious instrument amp or PA. Either way, it'd just be a matter of using the outputs for the headphones or the lines out. If the 750 doesn't have those, then I don't know ...

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
Does the PX-750 have output jacks? Up until last week, I was playing on a Casio PX-830, and I used a pair of decent computer speakers with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Genius-SP-HF1800A-Three-way-Hi-Fi-Speakers/dp/B0041Q9PZ0/

It was just as simple as plugging them into one of the headphone jacks.

I don't think it *is* that simple - I know that the components have to match electronically as far as watts and ohms. As I understand it if you overwork the headphone jacks the associated electronics can burn out eventually, unless they're actually made for doing that.

I'm thinking you have to go digging into the electronics of the unit to reconfigure things

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
The weakest part of inexpensive DP's is their amps and loudspeakers.

You'll be shocked at how much better the PX-750 will sound with larger speakers and more-powerful amps. That was my experience with the PX-350, when I hooked it up to a Yamaha Stagepas system (300 watts, two 8" two-way speakers). Suddenly, it had decent bass! And it had "acoustic piano" volume, and improved tone quality.

The downside is that you'll hear problems with the sound generator that you didn't know it had.<g>

If you want to know for sure, rent some speakers from a local music store. A pair of small "powered PA speakers" (there are numerous choices) -- I'd pick speakers 8" woofers -- will do fine. ""Powered monitors" will also be OK.

The PX-750 doesn't have "Line Out" jacks, so you'll use one of the "Phone" jacks. You'll need a "stereo splitter cable", to get both the Left and Right channels from a single Phone jack. Any music store will have what you need.

It's possible to mix Left and Right channels (the Left carries more of the bass, the Right carries more of the treble) into a single (monophonic) signal, and use one loudspeaker. That loses the "stereo effect", and upsets some people. I found it acceptable, and one ZXA1 speaker was all I could afford.

Have fun --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
B
OP Offline
B
Okay, I located the owner's manual online, according to that you should be able to go from the headphone jack to the "Aux" jack of an amp and drive speakers connected to that. That's what I tried but not getting good results. Might be a failure of the particular amp I'm trying - it's old and has been sitting around a while.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by brassplyer
Okay, I located the owner's manual online, according to that you should be able to go from the headphone jack to the "Aux" jack of an amp and drive speakers connected to that. That's what I tried but not getting good results. Might be a failure of the particular amp I'm trying - it's old and has been sitting around a while.

Headphones out from a DP straight to speakers seldom provides good results (unless your amp is knackered or the amp is mainly for guitar use). The usual solution is to run the setup via an audio interface but now costs start to rise.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
There are quite a few bookshelf speaker setups that have inputs specifically designed to take signals from headphone out jacks (from mp3 players, CD players, etc. - and so much like the Privia headphone out jack), so I still think that's your best bet - just make sure to look up the manuals and see if that's what they are designed to do. FWIW, and in my completely anecdotal experience (which is worth exactly what it sounds like ... ), I got a really nice sound and used it for years without problems. YMMV, etc.

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
T
T
Some people dont like them, but I got a Roland 350 keyboard amp. My PX-350 sounds great through it.

B
OP Offline
B
Okay, got the speakers hooked up to a budget receiver/amp from Best Buy - it works! The previous failure apparently was due to the other amp being dysfunctional.

I have the speakers on folding tables behind the piano facing up like on an Avant Grand for more piano-like ambient sound coming from behind the keyboard, not aimed right at you like the onboard speakers. Really opens up the sound. Still experimenting with spacing and orientation for the best sound.

However after trying a number of digital pianos at Sam Ash where I got a new splitter cable, this Casio's built-in speakers sound better than any of the models they had. A bunch of them had the speakers hidden inside the cabinet somewhere, seems really dumb - made the sound tinny and muted. There was no way to raise the lid, that's just the way they're built.

Last edited by brassplyer; 10/12/18 11:16 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission