Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
131 registered members (agent8698, AnnInMiami, ajames, amad23, bobrunyan, brendon, anotherscott, 90125, Bobby Badd, 30 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wrote a piano piece. Looking for constructive feedback... #2766572
09/19/18 11:36 PM
09/19/18 11:36 PM
O
OscoBosco Offline OP
OscoBosco  Offline OP
O

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Wrote a piano piece. Looking for constructive feedback... [Re: OscoBosco] #2766653
09/20/18 10:52 AM
09/20/18 10:52 AM
Laguna Niguel, CA
fabrizio Offline
fabrizio  Offline

Laguna Niguel, CA
Very nice music, performance and video Oscar. Kudos to you!

Fabrizio Ferrari, Violinist & Music Composer
Virtual Sheet Music, Inc. - Classical Sheet Music Downloads®
http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com
Re: Wrote a piano piece. Looking for constructive feedback... [Re: OscoBosco] #2766680
09/20/18 12:39 PM
09/20/18 12:39 PM
E
EMusic Offline
EMusic  Offline
E

Very complex piece, composed and performed really well. Congratulations!

Re: Wrote a piano piece. Looking for constructive feedback... [Re: fabrizio] #2766711
09/20/18 03:33 PM
09/20/18 03:33 PM
O
OscoBosco Offline OP
OscoBosco  Offline OP
O

Thank you so much wink

Re: Wrote a piano piece. Looking for constructive feedback... [Re: OscoBosco] #2766781
09/20/18 11:33 PM
09/20/18 11:33 PM
X
xSense Offline
xSense  Offline
X

Hello man , It's a complex work from a techinic approach.The score help alot for that.
You used alot alot of harmonic languages for variations , it's like a variation from a harmonic perpective.

For me at least that create an harmonic unbalance , the form tho is fine but there is too much harmony ... It's like a travel of the history of the european harmony .

Can you talk about your thinking?

Re: Wrote a piano piece. Looking for constructive feedback... [Re: xSense] #2766782
09/20/18 11:48 PM
09/20/18 11:48 PM
O
OscoBosco Offline OP
OscoBosco  Offline OP
O

I think you captured the essence of my musical imagination. I love the disjointedness and the almost mechanical vs romantic feel of the music. My ultimate goal is for everything to jump at the right time constantly shifting the same melodic motif in different frames - like quickly swiping through a picture album on your phone of a person who's constantly presented in a different setting. It is very different but I find that it allows for very interesting development while still maintaining unification. When I was younger I did write music more "traditionally" without all the jumps. But I find this a lot more interesting. I would advise you to listen again and find the subtle complements the different transformations give each other. Thanks so much for listening smile

Re: Wrote a piano piece. Looking for constructive feedback... [Re: OscoBosco] #2767324
09/24/18 08:45 AM
09/24/18 08:45 AM
Urbandale, Iowa
S
Steve Chandler Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Steve Chandler  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Urbandale, Iowa
Hi Oscar,
I've listened to this piece a few times trying to discern what it is that makes it so I don't appreciate it. You play very well and this piece is certainly not easy. I hear your various themes and their variations and I don't care. The piece starts dense and only relents that density a few times. I think I agree with xSense about too much harmony and yet I tend toward rich harmony in my own work (feel free to check out my soundcloud page, address in my sig). You mention swiping through a picture album, don't you ever linger on a picture and bring up memories associated with the subject in that picture? I think I would find that far more interesting than trying to depict in music the act of swiping through a photo album. I don't enjoy the process of trying to find that one important picture in an album with hundreds of photos, but I do enjoy viewing that picture when I find it. Rather than make your music like a travelogue, make it about those important memories and life lessons. I realize you're only seventeen, but you didn't get as skilled at piano as you obviously are without learning a few lessons along the way. Good luck!

Re: Wrote a piano piece. Looking for constructive feedback... [Re: Steve Chandler] #2767406
09/24/18 03:34 PM
09/24/18 03:34 PM
O
OscoBosco Offline OP
OscoBosco  Offline OP
O

Thank you so much! smile

Re: Wrote a piano piece. Looking for constructive feedback... [Re: OscoBosco] #2771079
10/10/18 01:46 PM
10/10/18 01:46 PM
Istanbul
I
IosPlayer Online blank
IosPlayer  Online Blank
I

Istanbul
Well, when you ask for criticism, Oscar, you tend to get it. You are a young man and talented. As such you are entitled to 1/ have the same types of experiences we all have as young artists, 2/ think you have a handle on something people are just going to love and 3/believe you have already had major musical epiphanies. Welcome to the club!

I thought and felt all of the above comments posted above including your own. It is interesting as a young person you are enthralled with the super fast edit. I will not get into the sociological ramifications of this mind numbing trend, but let me say that ADD, ADHD, Asperger's Syndrome and autism are all on the rise in our culture. Life goes by on the fast edit, Oscar. You will discover that, too. There is not really a need for more of it in serious artistic expression, IMO, unless it is simply commentary on the state of things.

The best advice I can give you is find a teacher who will not cripple your originality ( it is in there somewhere, but not in the music you posted). When you do first touch on it, protect and nurture it. People will not necessarily like it or you, but it is who you are ultimately. Do not go with the crowd, they are always behind the leaders. Better to be criticized for being an original than for being derivative. Of course this will make your artistic road more satisfying and more difficult. Check out the Talk Classical forum to understand my meaning first hand. Rigid, rule bound and dominating personalities abound. If that appeals to you go for it. If you have an iconoclastic spirit look out. The world you are entering as a "serious" composer is harsh.

These are just my opinions, of course, but I am 70, an original jazz pianist and love music. You can hear my jazz at newartistsrecords.com (search Michael Levy and use Safari for free listening) or listen to the two Synthonies I have posted on this forum. They are totally improvised pieces. Good luck and don't take any opinions to heart ( except this one:) People can hurt you badly in this business and their motives are not always the purest. I do find the posters here very generous, fair and supportive. It is a wonderful forum. Good luck!

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070
1915 Steinway B

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Should I glue this hammer shank? Or just replace it.
by Mason Jones. 12/12/18 01:44 PM
Mapes Stainless vs. Paulello Nickel Plated Iron.
by Craig Hair. 12/12/18 01:10 PM
Rach3 Arrangement
by nappy. 12/12/18 12:08 PM
*NEW* Jazz Piano: Pieces of the Puzzle w/Dave Frank
by Dfrankjazz. 12/12/18 10:44 AM
Aspen Pittman designs Spacestation XL
by Hr.. 12/12/18 05:17 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,858
Posts2,770,475
Members91,739
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission