2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 45 46
#2770967 10/10/18 06:14 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
Look what just arrived in my inbox!
Roland LX700 series

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
Just spoke to my dealer who didn't know anything about these, despite the fact that we are just by the main Roland place in Swansea, and the rep had been in a couple of weeks ago. We will find out more.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
Prices quoted at £2111 for the 705, £2903 for the 706 and £3519 for the 708 - a lot more for the polished versions.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
They feature a kind of PHA-50 action with a longer pivot. And judging from the current LX series, the sound of these new DPs should be exceptionally good. It is a pity that Roland has not to followed the artist's impression (check the section "Greater focus, fewer distractions" on Roland's LX700 page) and decided to put the controls on the fallboard. These new models would look amazing if all those knobs were out of sight.

I found a couple of stores in Europe accepting pre-orders for the LX708 (polished) at 4900 EUR, but it is not yet available on the major stores.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Looks interesting, especially the new keyboard with longer pivot points on the upper models. They have probably upgraded the modeling engine too although on some of the demos I still hear that typical clank sound.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Those look nice (and I mean both features and look).

One thing I noticed on the website:
The LX700 series includes two completely different piano models; a classic European grand [...], and an American grand [...].

And right above this description there are two pictures as backgrounds for the sound samples: One from Hamburg and one from New York. Hmmm, guess what piano association they are trying to imply here?! ...

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
Chatting to my dealer and he played me a 20 year model back on the phone and we agreed that if they could reproduce that sound with all the advantages of the dynamic range and action of the LX7/17 models, that would really be a winner. Yes - they now have more that one sound to play with. Knobs can easily be covered by sliding the lid forward. Better than at the side.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
Knobs can easily be covered by sliding the lid forward. Better than at the side.

I don't see any evidence of this on the website. Is there a second lid to slide forward, in addition to the fallboard that lifts up in the traditional fashion (as seen in the vids)?

Oh, and they have a new marketing name for their piano engine:

"PureAcoustic Piano Modeling"

(Probably a good thing, as that will remove the ambiguity with the not-fully-modelled older "super natural" engines.)

Last edited by JoBert; 10/10/18 07:16 AM.

Kawai Novus NV10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
- The Power On feature using the lid is pretty cool.
- So is the rotating volume knob.
- Good looking overall design, nice, simple, elegant. But I agree, I wish we could hide the electronics/buttons.
- The new, longer “Hybrid Grand Keyboard” action sounds exciting.
- PureAcoustic what!
- It comes with a headphone hanger under the keyboard! Nice.
- USB port is in the front? Is that good or bad?
- The extra-wide music rest is much appreciated.
- And it can double as a sound system for streaming music.

Honestly I’m feeling a G.A.S. attack coming on.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
I may be wrong but I think lid operates in the same way as on the LX7/17 range. Looked like it in one of the photos. Can't imagine it will be any different.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
D
D

New Hybrid Grand Keyboard action with a longer key and pivot point

PureAcoustic Piano Modelling - How that differs from supernatural modelling is anyone's guess but definitely no samples

More sophisticated ambience controls aka PureAcoustic Ambience

https://www.roland.com/uk/products/lx700_series/

Still delighted wiyth my LX17 but will definintely give the 708 a whirl.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Looks interesting, especially the new keyboard with longer pivot points on the upper models. They have probably upgraded the modeling engine too although on some of the demos I still hear that typical clank sound.

Yeah, has SuperNatural Piano modelling become PureAcoustic Piano Modeling.
Why can't they be like Pianoteq and give their modelling simple version numbers so we can keep track of the evolution progression,, sigh.

The question is, will this represent an astounding SuperEvolutionary GiantLeap step-forward (TM) that will give my SuperDextrous-ClarityFocused piano technique the ExpressoDynamic Feel it requires and also, will it provide my SurroundSound ears with the the spatial-surround-AmazoAcoustic HarmonoEnvelopment they deserve?

Last edited by Doug M.; 10/10/18 08:00 AM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
- interesting that the LX705 uses the PHA-50 while the LX706/708 uses the “Hybrid Grand Keyboard”.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Pivot point is indeed the new front in the key action war.

Looks like Roland is following Kawai and Yamaha with longer pivots as well as staggered pivot distances for white and black keys.

It's a good time to be in the market for a digital piano.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
In the past people used to buy pretty good upright pianos at the price of a LX17 and those uprights would last for a lifetime. Now with digital pianos it's about only a few years and you have to replace it. Of course, you can keep it for much longer but I would personally feel bad about not having the longer pivot keys, the better modeling, sound system, ambiance simulation. And that makes me wonder if that slow progress is in any way intentional or it's just the way digital piano technology is evolving - excruciatingly slow.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I may be wrong but I think lid operates in the same way as on the LX7/17 range. Looked like it in one of the photos. Can't imagine it will be any different.

I'm genuinely interested in how this works. First of all, the LX17 and the LX700s have a "traditional" fallboard compared to the sliding lid of the LX7 (at least that's how it looks in the pictures), so the two will certainly have to function differently.
So how does this work with the LX17/LX700s fallboard? Is there an additional lid to cover the buttons? Or do you pull the open fallboard forwards a bit (the whole fallboard or only the base? i.e. is it then more slanted)? Any LX17 owners here who know this?

Kawai Novus NV10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In a practical sense, USB on front along with headphone hanger are nice. After all, these consoles are based on an upright footprint. As such, it is likely many users will place the rear near or up against a wall. This is how my 508 is set up. Hanger nestled underneath keybed front left near the headphone output and mini audio input jacks, USB ports front right. I can plugNplay both without getting up off bench .....but do not forget to de-install hanger before transport. I did and now have 2 screws firmly holding a hangerless hanger base in place😩

For me this new release confirms that totally modeled V1 may have been positioned as generic GPs & APs based on no particular makes but V2 has transitioned further away from that notion.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
In the past people used to buy pretty good upright pianos at the price of a LX17 and those uprights would last for a lifetime. Now with digital pianos it's about only a few years and you have to replace it. Of course, you can keep it for much longer but I would personally feel bad about not having the longer pivot keys, the better modeling, sound system, ambiance simulation. And that makes me wonder if that slow progress is in any way intentional or it's just the way digital piano technology is evolving - excruciatingly slow.

Agreed, this is just excruciatingly annoying. For VST they can come up whenever they want, at least the price is ok. But for the digital actions, they can't keep changing it every 6 months. This is incredibly crazy, in this case profit is slowing progress. Real progress means having the chance to use VST in a digital piano without a laptop, having the chance to play with an action as good as a grand piano knowing that is going to stay the same for ever, having a chance to buy piano kits and replace faulty components by yourself, or having the chance to buy a laptop custom made only for VST.

Last edited by pold; 10/10/18 10:37 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
...Now with digital pianos it's about only a few years and you have to replace it. Of course, you can keep it for much longer but I would personally feel bad about not having the ........

During late fall 15’ I was deciding on the first purchase of new DP, had looked hard at HP508 but eventually determined too rich for my beginner’s blood and went with ES7. A year later, when furst experiencing the flaky key contact/sensor/rubber thingies phenom, I decided to purchase a second/backup DP, looked at 508 again and to my surprise kearned I could get the 508 for about $2500 below msrp because the new LX7/17s had been announced. By the time it was delivered and setup by Christmas, I was further surprised that the graphical App (v1) was not fully functional and that Roland had released V2 App AND dropped support of the App on the 508.....in less than 12 months 508 had gone from being near the top of the line if Roland’s state of the art DP technology to no support ..... just saying I have a different perspective on the speed of how these things progress😊

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JoBert

I'm genuinely interested in how this works. First of all, the LX17 and the LX700s have a "traditional" fallboard compared to the sliding lid of the LX7 (at least that's how it looks in the pictures), so the two will certainly have to function differently.
So how does this work with the LX17/LX700s fallboard? Is there an additional lid to cover the buttons? Or do you pull the open fallboard forwards a bit (the whole fallboard or only the base? i.e. is it then more slanted)? Any LX17 owners here who know this?

The LX7 has a sliding lid, similar to the CA97/98 models. If the lid is fully pushed back the controls are exposed. But if the lid is kept on an intermediate position it will indeed conceal the control panel.

The LX17 does not use a sliding lid but a hinged lid. But, AFAIK, there is no way to conceal the control panel. Can any LX17 owner confirm this?

Now, there a couple of animations here
https://www.roland.com/global/products/lx700_series/ showing the lid on the 708 being opened. It uses a hinged lid similar to the LX17. If it is possible to hide the panel then Roland managed to fit some kind of cover below the hinge and above the protruding knobs. Anyway, none of available images or videos shows a concealed panel on the 708, not even on the "fewer distractions" section... the exception is the artist's drawing of the 708 that seems to have the panel hidden. Maybe the 705 and 706 use a sliding lid that can cover the panel. Hopefully, the same feature is somehow available on the 708 as well...

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission