2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2770818 10/09/18 12:45 PM
johan d Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

P
P
As both scales share the same notes, it is probably an exercise that helps you change between the major and minor key by using different roots / tonal centers (Bb and Cm) over the chord changes. Maybe you can create that subtle difference in your playing.

I love Jamey and everything he has done for jazz education but I don't think his improv method is the best.

He focusses on scales only and not how to construct melodies.

An analogy would be trying to learn a new language by just studying the alphabet. There is no consideration given to forming words and how to use those words.

Here's the basic concept:

1. Play chord tones on strong beats (1 and 3 in 4/4 time) with an emphasis on using guide tones, 3 and 7 of the chord of the moment.

2. Extend lines from these notes using scale passages (stepwise motion) and arpeggios (skipping motion).

3. Thread your line at chord changes by using approach patterns. Approach patterns are 2-4 note melodic cells that serve to resolve your line to the chord of the moment.

There is a lot more to it than that but having the concept in your head will help dramatically.

Please watch my free lesson demonstrating this concept using Hank Mobley's solo over rhythm changes.

http://bit.ly/2Nlajvc

Please write with any questions.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
johan d Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, but no awnser to my question. Should the C-dorian scale fit over the Bb Major track? It might be, but my ears says no. Why is it written in the book?

Last edited by johan d; 10/09/18 02:20 PM.
N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by JazzPianoOnline
I love Jamey and everything he has done for jazz education but I don't think his improv method is the best.

He focusses on scales only and not how to construct melodies.

Once upon a time I analyzed minute by minute his video "Anyone can Improvise", and found that there is a sharp jump between explanations and playing of chord scales , and improvisation itself ;incomprehensible to a beginner (20:51 ) .

Last edited by Nahum; 10/09/18 03:59 PM.
johan d Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Nahum, that is a clear awsner to my question.

G
G
Bb major and C Dorian are the same notes, just from a different perspective, so yes they both fit over that track, one with Bb as 'home' and one with C as 'home'. If your ear doesn't think C Dorian fits then you either just don't like that slightly minor suspended sound it gives over Bb major chords or you need to listen to more jazz to train your ear up a bit more. Given that you initially couldn't hear the chord change in that track it's probably a bit of the latter.

johan d Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GoldmanT
Bb major and C Dorian are the same notes, just from a different perspective, so yes they both fit over that track, one with Bb as 'home' and one with C as 'home'. If your ear doesn't think C Dorian fits then you either just don't like that slightly minor suspended sound it gives over Bb major chords or you need to listen to more jazz to train your ear up a bit more. Given that you initially couldn't hear the chord change in that track it's probably a bit of the latter.

Many Thanks. I do indeed find C- over the Bb Major less appealing. Ear training is for life, i supose :-)

Last edited by johan d; 10/10/18 02:20 AM.
G
G
If you're just playing the whole scale up and down then it might not sound so great.

If you try something like C Eb D G Eb G Bb that kind of balances between the chord tones (Bb D F A) and the extensions/suspensions (C Eb G).

I've not listened to the backing track in detail but when the bass moves to F the backing may well be playing a C minor chord. If so the chord tones then become C Eb G Bb and the extensions/suspensions become D F A. So just mix it up and see what works.

C-/F is quite an esoteric chord for a beginner to work with, because the F isn't a chord tone of the C minor chord, but just go with it for now. smile

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission