Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
124 registered members (7uturu, anotherscott, AaronSF, bananya, 36251, Birdgolf, Brahms4, 31 invisible), 1,648 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why no Mason Hamlin presence in Europe? [Re: bennevis] #2770577
10/08/18 01:23 PM
10/08/18 01:23 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by dogperson
Bennevis
Do you really.need to win this? I believe any of us who would be shopping for a piano in London would make a personal decision about the quality and price or take someone more experienced to evaluate

Who's talking about "winning"?

I know what I know. If I was a piano dealer in the UK, I'd be more than a little annoyed at what a newcomer to PW is saying - especially considering his previous posts (read them, as you obviously haven't).

BTW, there's at least one UK showroom owner who is a PW member, and he's probably reading this.

There you go again..., I have read his prior posts
And the piano dealer can read. as well, and decide how to reply (or not)

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Why no Mason Hamlin presence in Europe? [Re: precise] #2770578
10/08/18 01:28 PM
10/08/18 01:28 PM
UK, EU
P
precise Offline OP
precise  Offline OP
P

UK, EU
bennevis - everyone here (except you) has been extremely helpful and courteous.

I believe I have acted in the same manner.

Kindly qualify why you think any of my previous posts show something negative, which is what you are implying by telling people to read them 'especially considering his previous posts (read them, as you obviously haven't)'

You are clearly too emotionally involved in this to be objective. Why is that?

Re: Why no Mason Hamlin presence in Europe? [Re: precise] #2770579
10/08/18 01:29 PM
10/08/18 01:29 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by precise
Bennevis,
You've clearly got a real attitude problem: doubts, accusations, defensiveness, sarcasm

Look, I have stated my opinion - I believe I am entitled to do so - and I've qualified my opinion. You've made snarky little remarks about my opinion from the get go.

........pipe down with your childish moaning.

Thank you! grin

Now I know for certain.....,,,,

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Why no Mason Hamlin presence in Europe? [Re: precise] #2770581
10/08/18 01:33 PM
10/08/18 01:33 PM
UK, EU
P
precise Offline OP
precise  Offline OP
P

UK, EU
Yes dear, of course you do. Of course you do.
#paranoid

Re: Why no Mason Hamlin presence in Europe? [Re: precise] #2770586
10/08/18 01:46 PM
10/08/18 01:46 PM
UK, EU
P
precise Offline OP
precise  Offline OP
P

UK, EU
Skjalg - yes, indeed, all of those costs. All understandable and reasonable.

I was more worrying about the import duty that the UK would slap on the piano as soon as it hit the UK border.

I just used an online duty calculator to work it out - based on buying a piano in the US for $100,000 (hypothetically)

Total amount of TAX payable as duty to the UK, for bringing this into the UK: £19,081.54. Which is pretty steep frown

Hum...

Re: Why no Mason Hamlin presence in Europe? [Re: precise] #2770590
10/08/18 02:18 PM
10/08/18 02:18 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
I think you really need an MH piano .Juse do it if you can ? Come over to the US choose the one you want .Perhaps you could go over back to the UK with the piano .You really seem to need to have the piano and be able to hear this warm comforting tone .It may even be good for your health .Perhaps you will say that this is not rational .Well I can tell you HUMAN BEINGS are NOT really rational creatures .You just have to look at the life of some the most brilliant interlectual people even though they spend thier time always trying to do the most rational thing thier lives end up becoming more of an irrational mix .But as long as we do not hurt other people sometimes we need to do that SOMETHING that will bring us joy !

Re: Why no Mason Hamlin presence in Europe? [Re: backto_study_piano] #2770706
10/08/18 10:20 PM
10/08/18 10:20 PM
CT
wolfgangmeister Offline
wolfgangmeister  Offline

CT
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
Originally Posted by precise
Thanks for all the great replies!

Re the 'American' sound vs European - I'm sure loads has already been written about that in the forum. But, to my mind, MH has a rich and warm sound. I always associate the American sound with NY S&S - and that's something I don't like at all. MH is a far nicer sound, IMO. ...

The M&Hs I experienced were 6-7 yrs ago, I believe all had wooden actions. After playing a couple of Hamburg Steinways (B, D and I think S) which were rich and warm, the M&Hs were brash and loud in comparison - particularly the BB. The first time I played it, I liked the action, but it deteriorated quite quickly. I went to play it 4 times over 6 months - the last time, there were several sticky notes and some which didn't play a clean sound, and some notes were appreciably!! And I'd been told that the tech had prepared it the day before for my visit (2½ hr drive). That day I'd played 2 different 2nd hand D Hamburgs - the comparison was profound.

The smaller AA was a nice sound, but the action was never really pleasant, despite the technician re-adjusting it a few times.

A for price, my Grotrian Concerto, 7'4" is much nicer tone, better action, is 5" longer than a BB M&H, and was $10k cheaper.

It could have been that they weren't well prepared. Possibly if it had been well voiced it might have been better.

On the plus side, the M&Hs have a "limited lifetime warranty". My Grotrian only had 5 years.

The newer action might solve some of those problems I encountered.

precise -
There is some great advice about M&H instruments in this thread (e.g. from Carey, pianoloverus, oldMH, huaidongxi, New Englander, Steve Chandler, DDobs, Lady Bird and Rich Galassini), especially about trying many different M&H's, just like one would try out many different Hamburg Steinways or Grotrians. As with all fine makes, I'm always taken aback when I see or hear over-generalized comments about playing one particular instrument (e.g. a Burgett-era BB was loud & brash --> therefore all new BB's are loud & brash... and then forming an inference that all other instruments in either that model or from that manufacturer may be similar. I have personally had a different experience, from selecting my own BB from amongst three very different instruments at the factory back in 2015, and also getting a chance to compare properly voiced and tone-regulated M&H B, AA and BB's next to similarly sized Grotrian's up on the 6th floor of the Haverhill, MA factory showroom during the PianoWorld tour visit last year. Both are very fine, but very different makes & scale designs... but I still love my M&H. Relative to price - in the U.S., the M&H's models are significantly less expensive than the equivalently sized Grotrians and NY Steinways.

Along with many others here on PW, I find that a properly regulated WNG action to be a joy to play, similar to a well-maintained Renner action. In addition, my M&H BB w/ WNG action is standing up well to a lot of practicing and use in a highly variable New England climate. As always, it helps to have an excellent tech, who continues to bring the best out of my new M&H instrument, and my older Yamaha C3 as well.

A couple of weeks ago, I sat down for a few minutes and recorded the famous Chopin Nocturne, Op.9 No.2. It's a piece that I thought might make for a nice example of the M&H BB's lyrically rich and warm qualities. So I sat down without warming up and recorded the piece in the few available minutes I had. It's not my best performance, but I think the instrument's sound speaks for itself:

YouTube Recording: Chopin: Nocturne in Eb, Op.9, No.2 (Mason & Hamlin BB) - Jason Solomonides, pianist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTE-RFpMs-Y

SoundCloud Recording: Chopin: Nocturne in Eb, Op.9, No.2 (Mason & Hamlin BB) - Jason Solomonides, pianist
https://soundcloud.com/jason-solomonides/chopin-nocturne-op-9-no-2-in-eb-mason-hamlin-bb

I also recently recorded single-takes of the beautiful Gluck-Sgambati 'Melody' (from "Orfeo ed Euridice") on both my instruments for my tech at his request (after his visit in mid-September). I rather like how both are sounding now, and the M&H BB is quite a better instrument today vs. when I first bought it. And although not perfect, my older Yamaha C3 w/ WNG CF shafts & Abel hammers has come a long way too... If you are interested to take a listen to either or both, here's a link to the recordings:

YouTube Recordings: Gluck-Sgambati Melody in Dm (Mason & Hamlin BB and Yamaha C3 w/ WNG) - Jason Solomonides, pianist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOK8__iJaRc

SoundCloud Recordings:
Gluck-Sgambati Melody in Dm (Mason & Hamlin BB) - Jason Solomonides, pianist
https://soundcloud.com/jason-solomo...ason-hamlin-bb-jason-solomonides-pianist
Gluck-Sgambati Melody in Dm (Yamaha C3 w/ WNG) - Jason Solomonides, pianist
https://soundcloud.com/jason-solomo...n-dm-yamaha-c3-jason-solomonides-pianist

Hope this is helpful,

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Re: Why no Mason Hamlin presence in Europe? [Re: precise] #2770876
10/09/18 05:48 PM
10/09/18 05:48 PM
UK, EU
P
precise Offline OP
precise  Offline OP
P

UK, EU
Jason - thanks so much. Really helpful and interesting to have your input here. Your BB sounds incredibly smooth, clear and expressive - and lovely playing from you!
You're right - so many (pianos in general) suffer from being poorly set up - as I noted in earlier posts in this same thread, much to the chagrin of one individual! But, truth is, there's no point in trying a quality instrument if it's set up badly - it has no way of being shown off at its best.

I've played several M&H pianos in the US - varied in character, for sure, but all of them oozed quality, and they were very consistent instruments, with lovely actions. Am contemplating import duties, UGH frown

Thanks again!

Re: Why no Mason Hamlin presence in Europe? [Re: precise] #2770936
10/09/18 11:35 PM
10/09/18 11:35 PM
J
John305 Online content
John305  Online Content
J

precise, would import duties be significantly less if buying used? If so, you might consider a lightly used M&H. This could in theory save a considerable sum from the new retail price as well as far less on the import duty, if buying used is assessed at a lower rate. Just a thought, as I have no idea how important duties work.

Last edited by John305; 10/09/18 11:38 PM.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: Why no Mason Hamlin presence in Europe? [Re: precise] #2770949
10/10/18 01:43 AM
10/10/18 01:43 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
Mason Hamlins were once to be imported years ago by a German tech located in Nuremberg. Things did not go too well and the fellow explained this because of 'name recognition' in Europe. As well as the abundance of other quality German made pianos on market. Both he and me however, agreed that a well prepped Mason BB is certainly in a class of its own and would by itself not have to worry too much about German competition. It's really a different type of tone altogether. Provided of course, you like the beefy, 'typical' American sound of a big U.S. made piano.The other problem is and will always be "size". Which in Europe is tough enough for even much smaller grands. Thinking that sums it up. Thank you
Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 10/10/18 01:47 AM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
USA Edition for CVP Clavinovas Worth Installing ?
by jfinkler. 06/20/19 02:53 PM
Best digital piano in the ~$1000 price range?
by bananya. 06/20/19 02:47 PM
Breakdown of a Practice Session
by Groove On. 06/20/19 01:43 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,625
Posts2,840,214
Members93,664
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission