Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
94 registered members (AssociateX, ArchLivingIt, 15shoes, 90125, A Guy, AnnInMiami, accordeur, AndyP, 24 invisible), 1,190 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Comparison between Yamaha CLP-695GP and Yamaha N series? #2770367
10/07/18 06:15 PM
10/07/18 06:15 PM
Sweden
F
Finurliig Offline OP
Finurliig  Offline OP
F

Sweden
I recently decided to buy a really good digital piano for myself.
I did an awful lot of research: I dived headfirst into endless youtube reviews, I studied the specs on a number of pianos, and ended up choosing beteween Yamaha´s Avant Grand N1/N2 and their new CLP-695GP.
I had the opportunity to play both these instruments in the local store and make a direct comparison between the two.

1) The action:
*I really liked the action on the N1: it's pretty hard to beat, since the piano actually contains all the mechanical components of an acoustic grand.
*The action in the CLP-695GP, on the other hand, is called "grand touch". It's not a hybrid piano like the N1, but the keys have counterweights to give the action a lighter touch, among other things. It doesnt beat the N1, but it is nevertheless a very pleasant action compared to Yamaha's other digital pianos, and in terms of playability, it's not far behind the N1. I doubt that most casual players would even notice the subtle difference. Someone aspiring to be a concert pianist might notice, though.

2) The sound quality
This is where the CLP-695GP won. When I made a direct comparison, there was no doubt whatsoever that the the newer set of samplings of the CLP held a higher quality. The sound of the N1 felt thin and slightly synthetic in a direct comparison.
The N1 came out in 2009, and hasn't received any updates at all in almost ten years time and is IMHO beginning to show its age: it sounded pretty much like a medium-priced digital piano from around 2008-2010.
The CLP-695 on the other hand, hit the stores in May 2018 here in Europe.
The CLP has - as far as I can tell - both higher quality sampling sets and a considerably more impressive speaker system. The two concert grand samplings: Bösendorfer and Yamaha CFX, are the best I've heard in any digital piano.

3) The form factor
Here we have a tight race between the two: both pianos are very beautiful. The N1 offers a more minimalistic and clean design, perfect if you have less space available. The CLP-695GP looks... well, beautiful.

It was a pretty tight race between these two: i concluded that the N1 had a better action, but the CLP-695GP offered better sound, and an action I could probably get along nicely with anyway, so in the end I went with the CLP. Good choice, bad choice? I appreciate comments & opinions!

All in all: the digital pianos have become really good. They cant mimic the real thing fully just yet, but the are getting very, very close to the original.

P.S. English is not my first language: I apologize for possible errors.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/G7C3Pxc42od6S1s47[/img]

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/TCdYqVUPyqZP5Tbf6[/img]

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/TwkMnjEsff7NgZFB9[/img]

Last edited by Finurliig; 10/07/18 06:24 PM.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Comparison between Yamaha CLP-695GP and Yamaha N series? [Re: Finurliig] #2770388
10/07/18 08:14 PM
10/07/18 08:14 PM
B
Beowulf Online content
Beowulf  Online Content
B

It's surprising to find someone who actually praised the Bösendorfer sampling in the Clavinova. Most reviews I've read about it tend to be negative.

Yamaha Clavinova CLP-645 | Garritan CFX Concert Grand
Re: Comparison between Yamaha CLP-695GP and Yamaha N series? [Re: Finurliig] #2770398
10/07/18 09:13 PM
10/07/18 09:13 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
Finurliig, welcome to the forum, thank you for sharing your shopping experiences, and congrats on your new piano - it looks great.

Am I correct in thinking that you did not play-test the Avantgrand N3X?
This model features the same keyboard action as the N1/N2, while also using the superior sound engine of the latest Clavinova models. The N1/N2 are certainly due an update - perhaps this will happen before the end of the year?

Kind regards,
James
x

ps.Your English is excellent! wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: Comparison between Yamaha CLP-695GP and Yamaha N series? [Re: Finurliig] #2770426
10/07/18 11:29 PM
10/07/18 11:29 PM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Offline
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
I'd also point out that the CLP-685 is pretty much exactly the same as the CLP-695GP except for the form factor (there is a very marketing buzzwordy speaker enclosure thing they added, but otherwise the specs are identical). I've played both (and own the 685) and wouldn't spend the extra on the 695.

That said, I'm hoping that Yamaha brings out an "N1X" (not the recently updated upright, I want the grand action in the N1) in the very near future that will have the hybrid action with the new sound engine. If it does, I would trade in my 685 immediately. The keyboard is really quite amazing, however I just can't deal with the 10(?) year old sound engine and didn't want to have a computer hanging off my piano in the living room for running a VST.

Currently learning: Beethoven "Easy" Sonata Op 49 No 2, JS Bach WTC Prelude No 2 in C minor, Grieg Lyric Pieces Book 1
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: Comparison between Yamaha CLP-695GP and Yamaha N series? [Re: Kawai James] #2770467
10/08/18 05:07 AM
10/08/18 05:07 AM
Sweden
F
Finurliig Offline OP
Finurliig  Offline OP
F

Sweden
No I didn't. The N3X wasn't available in the store. it would have been interesting to try it though.

I also considered an acoustic grand with Yamahas "silent" technology, but I ruled that option out because I live in a condo and would like to avoid any friction with the neighbours. It had to be digital.

The thing is: if I were to put up the kind of money that Yamaha wants for the N3X, I think I would have preferred to purchase an acoustic grand anyway: as pretty as these digital pianos are, they are still not "the real thing".
I also think the N3X seems to be heavily overpriced: can someone explain why on earth they are asking 2,5 times the price of the N1, when the tech inside is quite similar?

Re: Comparison between Yamaha CLP-695GP and Yamaha N series? [Re: Finurliig] #2770472
10/08/18 05:43 AM
10/08/18 05:43 AM
Germany
T
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline
T

Germany
Because there is no competition in this price range.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Comparison between Yamaha CLP-695GP and Yamaha N series? [Re: Tyr] #2770479
10/08/18 06:52 AM
10/08/18 06:52 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by Tyr
Because there is no competition in this price range.

And of course the N3X has the newer sound engine from last year, not the one from 9+ years ago like the N1. That should take care of 0.5 (or so) of that 2.5 factor. wink

Re: Comparison between Yamaha CLP-695GP and Yamaha N series? [Re: Beowulf] #2770604
10/08/18 02:05 PM
10/08/18 02:05 PM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
500 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
500 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by Beowulf
It's surprising to find someone who actually praised the Bösendorfer sampling in the Clavinova. Most reviews I've read about it tend to be negative.

I listened to these samples through quality headphones and I would not say they are so bad, for many pieces (especially classical) I would prefer them over Yamaha's CFX, I just think they are not what we would expect from Bösendorfer samples made by Yamaha. The expectations were too high.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the best sampled VST for classical piano?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 01/16/19 10:30 PM
Is Vassar College really as good as it looks in music?
by Forest_Hills_Daddy. 01/16/19 09:48 PM
Piano Music on i_heart_radio
by Handyman. 01/16/19 04:54 PM
How do you upload mp3 files?
by Vilhelm Moqvist. 01/16/19 04:17 PM
DGX-660 And Recording Vocal Track
by ndmuscutt. 01/16/19 03:56 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,612
Posts2,782,582
Members92,127
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission