Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
85 registered members (Bett, accordeur, Alex873, ando, beet31425, Beowulf, AaronSF, 15 invisible), 1,421 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: EssBrace] #2711381
02/04/18 07:14 AM
02/04/18 07:14 AM
T
titowsky Offline
titowsky  Offline
T

Originally Posted by EssBrace
Originally Posted by Osho
Yes, this issue is unique to NU1X and how it's upright action and sensors are designed.

Osho

The issue is noted by Yamaha in the user manuals of their NU1(X) and their silent pianos and, presumably, their transacoustic pianos too. So all their electronic pianos with real upright actions.

Yes, I confirm this... also on the B2 manual is written "This is not a fault. The structure of the Silent PianoTM causes this to occur in some cases."
It is just strange for me that my B2 does not have the issue (and if it does not come out from my test-pieces, I am quite sure it is not there at all)
That is why I believe the technology is somehow different, and not just depending on the specific piano you can play.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: titowsky] #2711401
02/04/18 09:05 AM
02/04/18 09:05 AM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by titowsky
It is just strange for me that my B2 does not have the issue (and if it does not come out from my test-pieces, I am quite sure it is not there at all)
That is why I believe the technology is somehow different, and not just depending on the specific piano you can play.

I imagine if there are unit-to-unit differences it is more likely due to the calibration of the key sensors. I think there's a way for the owner to calibrate the sensors...do some research because it's been mentioned on here before now.

Roland RD-1000 | Nord Piano 3 | Dexibell Vivo P7
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2715960
02/20/18 04:57 PM
02/20/18 04:57 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
C
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

Sofia, Bulgaria
I was at our Yamaha dealer today. Mostly a fruitless visit since I wanted to test CLP-685/675 but neither was available. There was a 645 though and out of frustration I just played it a lot. As a matter of fact I came to like how heavy it feels! My first reaction of course was: meh. But in 20 minutes it started feeling great and very expressive.

Anyway, there was a NU1 but it was not plugged into electricity and they told me it won’t be for the time being which is BS. Anyway, I tried playing very fast and quiet trills (well that was what I imagined with no sound) and I was able to jam the action multiple times. Which happens on my upright too. And possibly on almost every upright. So basically the problem indeed lies inherently in the upright action, which BTW feels fantastic otherwise! So whether that would produce a silent note on a real upright or sudden loud note, it is indeed an inevitable result of the upright action and one better tries to avoid that at all rather than expecting anything else. As to why would one want an upright action in a digital is another question.

I couldn’t jam the Yamaha C-something grand nearby, nor the 645. IMHO one should either go for pure digital action or real grand action. NU-models are weird animals that are probably good as practice machines but not for anything else. IMHO of course smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/20/18 05:11 PM.

Soundcloud Profile - solo piano compositions, arrangements, reharms
Currently: Kawai ES7 -> Garritan CFX
Previously: Kawai MP6, Kawai CA63, Roland RD-700SX, Roland FP-5, Yamaha P90, Korg SP-200, Casio CDP-100
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2715969
02/20/18 05:18 PM
02/20/18 05:18 PM
E
Egorbopol Offline OP
Egorbopol  Offline OP
E

Cybergene,

I definitely think if they could change in code to have the jammed key play no note, instead of a louder note that would have solved my problem.

I'm very happy to have that Nu1x out of my home, and am very happy to have the N1 in it's place. I've really been enjoying the N1, and play it for hours each night. My only gripe is the sound sample with the N1 isn't great while playing with headphones. I believe I'm going to have to attach my laptop soon and mess around with some VST's.

Anyone have any documentation anywhere on the web on best way to go about that?

Last edited by Egorbopol; 02/20/18 05:20 PM.
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2715991
02/20/18 06:37 PM
02/20/18 06:37 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by Egorbopol

I definitely think if they could change in code to have the jammed key play no note, instead of a louder note that would have solved my problem.

They probably can do something, but because the system essentially guesses the hammer position based on key position, doing so may introduce other unintended consequences (e.g., false positives resulting in silent notes, where an acoustic upright would actually play). I think it's fair to describe as reaching the limits of an imperfect system. You'd have to create a detailed model of an upright action based on past and present key velocities, and that model would also have to hold for variations in individual key tolerances, build, and regulation. At the end of the day, it sounds a lot easier just to bite the bullet and put a hammer sensor in so you don't have to do any fancy guesswork.

Again, for me the NU1 is quite fine to play on, and I either don't run into the problem much in regular playing, or I've adjusted to it just as I have to silent notes from a jammed acoustic action.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: CyberGene] #2717312
02/26/18 08:00 AM
02/26/18 08:00 AM
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M

Originally Posted by CyberGene
Anyway, there was a NU1 but it was not plugged into electricity and they told me it won’t be for the time being which is BS. Anyway, I tried playing very fast and quiet trills (well that was what I imagined with no sound) and I was able to jam the action multiple times. Which happens on my upright too. And possibly on almost every upright. So basically the problem indeed lies inherently in the upright action, which BTW feels fantastic otherwise! So whether that would produce a silent note on a real upright or sudden loud note, it is indeed an inevitable result of the upright action and one better tries to avoid that at all rather than expecting anything else. As to why would one want an upright action in a digital is another question.

I'm a bit confused by this - I play to a reasonable standard, and have played a lot of different grand/upright pianos, but I've never been able to 'jam' an upright action in the way that you mention.

My understanding of piano actions is not great, but I think that the main difference between upright and grand actions is that gravity/the repeat mechanism of a grand piano allows a faster note repeat.

So on an upright piano, I don't expect to be able to play trills, for example, as fast as on a grand piano. Other than this, I've never had any problems with the action of an upright piano.

The issue with the NU1 feels different.

There is the problem that when you try to trill fast, you can 'beat' the mechanism, with the keys going down faster, and the sensors recording this as a loud note, even though the hammer has been by-passed. (This is presumably also what happens in an acoustic upright, but in this case, the hammer being by-passed results in the string not being struck, and there being no sound.)

However, the main problem with the NU1 is that in 'normal' playing (i.e. without fast repetition) pressing the keys can occasionally still result in the hammers being by-passed, resulting in a sudden lightening of the key, and a loud sound being produced.

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2724811
03/28/18 06:59 AM
03/28/18 06:59 AM
T
TimPenn Offline
TimPenn  Offline
T

Just to add my 2 pennies worth. I was not aware of this problem when I first tried the NU1, and didn't notice it - but I was only playing for fun in a store and not really looking to find the problem. I became aware of the problem from this thread and was recently seriously looking to buy an NU1X (much better engine than the NU1) - and so tried to reproduce it. Sure enough I could quite easily reproduce this sudden loudness effect quite easily by repeating a note of trilling. And once I knew how to reproduce it, I started getting the "effect" quite often - even in normal playing. And paritculalry when trying to play softly.

Everyone else has written the reasons for this -- ie blocking and not having hammer sensors -- and that sounds pretty reasonable to me.

However - I think that the real problem is that the effect is just so counter-intuitive. One person wrote that with blocking you would get no sound or a reduced sound -- and that is the case -- done it many times on old worn out uprights.

Of course - no such problem on the N1 / N2 / N3 / N3x models - just wish they'd now release an N1x and N2x. There have been other problems reported on the actions of the N1 - N3 -- but I've never managed to get that to happen -- easily enough found if you google. I'm playing an N1 regularly now -- and my one criticism is that sound is really completely cold and sterile frown - compared to say the KAWAI CS10/11 or a real piano).

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: TimPenn] #2724816
03/28/18 07:29 AM
03/28/18 07:29 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
Originally Posted by TimPenn

Everyone else has written the reasons for this -- ie blocking and not having hammer sensors -- and that sounds pretty reasonable to me.

What is 'blocking'?

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: toddy] #2724821
03/28/18 08:26 AM
03/28/18 08:26 AM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by toddy
Originally Posted by TimPenn

What is 'blocking'?

When you play the same key again so quickly that the hammer has not yet fallen back to re-engage with the action so there is no sense of resistance or weight behind the subsequent key presses. So the action 'blocks'. A bit like an old mechanical typewriter if you press one letter before the other has fallen back into place.

All uprights do it. All Yamaha silents have the occasional loud key issue, as does the NU1(X) because they sense key velocity, not hammer velocity.

I still don't see it as an issue personally and it wouldn't affect my decision as to whether to buy one of these affected Yamahas but others seem to mind about it.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2724824
03/28/18 08:35 AM
03/28/18 08:35 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
Thanks essbrace smile The physical action of blocking should not be a great problem, although I'd prefer it not to happen. But with an outcome of an incorrect loud note sounding - that would be off-putting.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2745236
06/18/18 04:54 AM
06/18/18 04:54 AM
M
mik pointe Offline
mik pointe  Offline
M

I'm glad I read this thread! Thank you all for exploring.
For me, a half hour in the store, it was difficult to even get this problem to happen on purpose but I was able to manage it a few times but was intentionally trying. I ended up getting a CLP 635 and the binaural headphone sampling (combined with high quality open headphones) is amazing. I still think the NU1X has the very best headphone amp/sound of all N1, N2, though I didn't try the N3.
The action is really much more convincing than any imitation.

Last edited by mik pointe; 06/18/18 04:56 AM.
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2745241
06/18/18 05:42 AM
06/18/18 05:42 AM
Germany
T
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline
T

Germany
I like the NU1X too but i find it difficult to play in the upper area of the keys and also on uprights in general.

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2747414
06/27/18 08:46 AM
06/27/18 08:46 AM
F
fferro09 Offline
fferro09  Offline
F

For those of you who wanted to return yours but denied a refund, please let me know if you'd be interested selling it? I've been looking for an NU1 but all the dealers ask way too much for it.

Last edited by fferro09; 06/27/18 08:52 AM.
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2764648
09/11/18 02:43 AM
09/11/18 02:43 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
Colin Miles  Offline
C

South Wales
Yesterday I visited the local dealer and he sat down at the NU1X and asked me to listen as he thought there was a problem. I immediately said spiking before he started playing and he said yes. I had first noticed this on this unit a couple of months ago but the dealer has only just realised there is a problem. In addition one of the notes is a bit 'proud' and on further investigation I found one key a bit heavy and another a bit loose. So it clearly needs regulation/calibration. Whether that will cure the spiking problem is debatable - you didn't need to play fast to invoke it. Also found the dynamic range somewhat lacking so maybe a dud unit altogether, A CA78 in the shop was much better.

I agree about using an algorithm to solve it. I first encountered this sort of thing back in the 60's on a ICT1202 - not solved. Later on a little control unit (paper tape) which I programmed to solve the problem. Then still later on a Univac main frame and a ZX81! Recently applied the same kind of logic to my weather station to remove the odd spikes. So it can be done though a bit fiddly.

The dealer is going to contact Yamaha so it will be interesting to see what response he gets.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2764657
09/11/18 03:47 AM
09/11/18 03:47 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
So, I've had my NU1X for a week now--and bought it in spite of knowing about this issue. I sat down and just loved the feel and the sound (though I'm a relative beginner and used to a Roland FP-30). I did not re-create the issue at the dealer, but of course I have been able to re-create it at home.

Besides that annoyance, I really do love this piano. I suppose there is a tradeoff with everything. For me: I need to be able to use headphones. Is this just the price one has to pay to not get a "real" acoustic? It would be nice to hear if Yamaha plans on doing anything about it.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: pathguy] #2764713
09/11/18 09:08 AM
09/11/18 09:08 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
Colin Miles  Offline
C

South Wales
Originally Posted by pathguy
So, I've had my NU1X for a week now--and bought it in spite of knowing about this issue. I sat down and just loved the feel and the sound (though I'm a relative beginner and used to a Roland FP-30). I did not re-create the issue at the dealer, but of course I have been able to re-create it at home.

Besides that annoyance, I really do love this piano. I suppose there is a tradeoff with everything. For me: I need to be able to use headphones. Is this just the price one has to pay to not get a "real" acoustic? It would be nice to hear if Yamaha plans on doing anything about it.

No, it isn't the price to pay as there are plenty of other perfectly good DP's out there. In your case I would go back to the dealer and try that one out. And if it is spike-free ask for that instead of the one you have.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Colin Miles] #2764730
09/11/18 10:18 AM
09/11/18 10:18 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by Colin Miles

No, it isn't the price to pay as there are plenty of other perfectly good DP's out there. In your case I would go back to the dealer and try that one out. And if it is spike-free ask for that instead of the one you have.

A complicated issue. From what I know, there aren't any "spike free" NU1s, at least not that I've encountered. It's a design issue centered around the fact that the velocity sensor is only attached to the key and not the free-flying hammer. There may definitely be regulation issues that cause it to occur more frequently or prominently on some units than others, but it's a characteristic interest to the NI1/NU1X design.

IMO the question is whether you notice it, and whether it detracts from your own experience.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Colin Miles] #2764770
09/11/18 02:20 PM
09/11/18 02:20 PM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY

The one I have is the one I played at the dealer. They only order one at a time, and prefer to have them played a bit to make sure they are working properly. Great for me: Nothing to open since they just delivered the piano and bench wink

It doesn't bother me too much; just is a little distracting. Overall, I really enjoy it.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: pathguy] #2764791
09/11/18 04:53 PM
09/11/18 04:53 PM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
Colin Miles  Offline
C

South Wales

The one I have is the one I played at the dealer. They only order one at a time, and prefer to have them played a bit to make sure they are working properly. Great for me: Nothing to open since they just delivered the piano and bench wink

It doesn't bother me too much; just is a little distracting. Overall, I really enjoy it.

Sounds like it may be a developing fault. But perhaps it will get better - who knows!

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Colin Miles] #2764888
09/12/18 03:40 AM
09/12/18 03:40 AM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK

[quote=Colin Miles]
I think we’ve agreed to disagree on this before. I contend there are not plenty of other perfectly good DPs out there <with a realistic piano action>. The AGs of course, the Kawai NV10 with hardly encouraging feedback on PW, the Casio GP series with less than stellar feel. None of the regular top of the range DPs have that real piano action feel. Sure some of them might actually play and feel better, but that’s another topic. It all depends what you’re after.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: spanishbuddha] #2764902
09/12/18 05:56 AM
09/12/18 05:56 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
Colin Miles  Offline
C

South Wales
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
[quote=Colin Miles]

I think we’ve agreed to disagree on this before. I contend there are not plenty of other perfectly good DPs out there <with a realistic piano action>. The AGs of course, the Kawai NV10 with hardly encouraging feedback on PW, the Casio GP series with less than stellar feel. None of the regular top of the range DPs have that real piano action feel. Sure some of them might actually play and feel better, but that’s another topic. It all depends what you’re after.

I don't think I am alone in disagreeing with you. And I am not really sure what you mean by a realistic piano action. But apart from that it doesn't help the OP with his problem. I am hoping that this either disappears or doesn't worsen and that he can somehow ignore it.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2764929
09/12/18 08:36 AM
09/12/18 08:36 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
I contend there are not plenty of other perfectly good DPs out there <with a realistic piano action>. ...........None of the regular top of the range DPs have that real piano action feel.

There's something I don't quite understand in this assertion. What exactly is 'that real piano action feel'? Because there is a big difference between one acoustic piano manufacturer's mechanism and another. And between a new action and an aging one. Not to mention the jump from the feel of an upright to a grand piano action. The better (not even necessarily 'best') actions of good DPs are, I'd say, well within those limits, closer to the concert grand ideal than outlying 'non-ideal' actions, even though they (the non-ideal) be authentic acoustic actions of one sort of another.

What impediments, in terms of key action, are they that make DP actions unacceptable? What are you prevented from learning or performing that you can do on an acoustic?

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: toddy] #2764941
09/12/18 09:37 AM
09/12/18 09:37 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
I contend there are not plenty of other perfectly good DPs out there <with a realistic piano action>. ...........None of the regular top of the range DPs have that real piano action feel.

There's something I don't quite understand in this assertion. What exactly is 'that real piano action feel'? Because there is a big difference between one acoustic piano manufacturer's mechanism and another. And between a new action and an aging one. Not to mention the jump from the feel of an upright to a grand piano action.

Huh?

Didn't you just assert the exact opposite in the other thread (the "PHA-4, PHA-50, GF, GFII, GFC, NWX, GH, GranTouch, AvantGrand" thread). I quote you from there:
"a 'typical grand piano action' is some sort of objective measure."

And now here you are saying that "there's a big difference between one acoustic ... and another". How can there be a "big difference", if at the same time there's also a "typical action" that is an objective measure?

confused

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: toddy] #2764972
09/12/18 12:34 PM
09/12/18 12:34 PM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK

There's something I don't quite understand in this assertion. What exactly is 'that real piano action feel'? Because there is a big difference between one acoustic piano manufacturer's mechanism and another. And between a new action and an aging one. Not to mention the jump from the feel of an upright to a grand piano action. The better (not even necessarily 'best') actions of good DPs are, I'd say, well within those limits, closer to the concert grand ideal than outlying 'non-ideal' actions, even though they (the non-ideal) be authentic acoustic actions of one sort of another.

What impediments, in terms of key action, are they that make DP actions unacceptable? What are you prevented from learning or performing that you can do on an acoustic?

As expounded in that other thread there are indeed wide variations in feel across DPs and acoustics, so all I can offer is a personal view as a generalisation, which no doubt can be countered by picking on specifics. My view is that most non-hybrid high end DP actions are too good, too smooth really, despite the addition of a friction point to falsely simulate escapement, to be useful for preparation of a performance on an acoustic, where the control and production of the tone is often the subjective judgement on how well the performance has been executed. Obviously there are degrees here (twinkle twinkle or Liszt) and many people won’t be concerned by this at all, and that’s just fine. I’m not criticising DP actions, they have their place, for DPs which are getting closer to being like acoustics, more so for the listener, (and that topic frequently recurs on this board) but not yet so much so for the performer. As an aside, my current favourite is the FP90

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: JoBert] #2764993
09/12/18 01:31 PM
09/12/18 01:31 PM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by JoBert

There's something I don't quite understand in this assertion. What exactly is 'that real piano action feel'? Because there is a big difference between one acoustic piano manufacturer's mechanism and another. And between a new action and an aging one. Not to mention the jump from the feel of an upright to a grand piano action.

Huh?

Didn't you just assert the exact opposite in the other thread (the "PHA-4, PHA-50, GF, GFII, GFC, NWX, GH, GranTouch, AvantGrand" thread). I quote you from there:

And now here you are saying that "there's a big difference between one acoustic ... and another". How can there be a "big difference", if at the same time there's also a "typical action" that is an objective measure?

confused

Yes, I just came from the other thread and I feel there is some inconsistency. Quite un-toddy-like!

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: JoBert] #2764994
09/12/18 01:39 PM
09/12/18 01:39 PM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
Originally Posted by JoBert

Huh?

And now here you are saying that "there's a big difference between one acoustic ... and another". How can there be a "big difference", if at the same time there's also a "typical action" that is an objective measure.

In one post I said that a grand piano action is often (though need not necessarily be) an objective measure in judging a DPs action. In the other post I said there is a range of acoustic piano actions, in terms of response and how they feel.

I think both are true - demonstrably true. And I don't think one obviates the other. What I was pointing out in one post is that there is a range of acceptable and established grand piano actions, and that DPs do a good job of imitating an acoustic action within that range.

This does not infer there is one and only one single standard - there is however a variety within a range in terms of weight, inertia and other factors which pianists feel comfortable with.

Beyond that, without acoustic-mechanical constraints, there may well be more efficient or pleasing actions possible which are not dependent at all on the acoustic piano action. It may eventually take over the acoustic actions of today - but that wasn't what I was talking about in either post.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: EssBrace] #2764995
09/12/18 01:41 PM
09/12/18 01:41 PM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal

Yes, I just came from the other thread and I feel there is some inconsistency. Quite un-toddy-like!

Essbrace, that is an immensely kind word. I'm quite overcome with emotion.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: toddy] #2765000
09/12/18 01:55 PM
09/12/18 01:55 PM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom

Essbrace, that is an immensely kind word. I'm quite overcome with emotion.

Understandable! I have more kind words whenever you should require them.

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2765007
09/12/18 02:37 PM
09/12/18 02:37 PM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
smile

Re: Yamaha NU1X defect [Re: Egorbopol] #2769447
10/03/18 10:54 PM
10/03/18 10:54 PM
H
Haruki Offline
Haruki  Offline
H

As many of you, I was also considering buying an NU1X, but since I heard of this “defect” I’m reconsidering it. The problem is that I don’t know if there are other alternatives comparable to the NU1X (in the same price range). For me, I already have the impression that this is the best digital piano you can get for that price, in terms of piano key action and sound.

Which other digital (hybrid) pianos could you recommend me to look as a replacement of the NU1X in the same price range?

Thanks!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The first timbre evaluation App in the world!
by Luoswave. 11/17/18 11:25 PM
Curriculum of techniques for various levels?
by cathryn999. 11/17/18 10:25 PM
Ever heard of Yamaha SCLP-5450??
by Sean L. 11/17/18 09:39 PM
Disobedient pinkies & lazy thumbs
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/17/18 08:06 PM
Modulation
by Alex873. 11/17/18 07:26 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,392
Posts2,762,089
Members91,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission