Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
63 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, Ankee, atamgp, Animisha, barbaram, aphexdisklavier, 36251, andrea monza, AndyP, beeboss, 9 invisible), 1,321 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
"offending notes" in Pianoteq #2768351
09/29/18 10:25 AM
09/29/18 10:25 AM
G
Grazilerimba Offline OP
Grazilerimba  Offline OP
G

I have come to get used a little bit more to Pianoteq's sound (6.2), even though I still prefer sampled pianos. But playing around a bit with some of the presets, I can now finally see why people praise it for its playability. The expression I can put into it is really nice.

I have a strange issue though. Some notes will always sound off or bad. The higest A (the third white key from the right) will most often produce a harsh sound that hurts my ears when I listen to it in my headphones. The uppermost five or six or so key have this kind of quality to it, but that particular A Key really hurts in my ears, like a sting. This is the case throughout many of the presets. Most notably in the Steinway D, for example in the "Classical Recording BA" preset. The Steinway B doesn't hurt as much.

Switching the sound to Binaural alleviates it a lot, but then the sound is also very different.

Does anyone have the same experience, and perhaps a suggestion about what to do about this? I was thinking, perhaps it's a problem with my sound system, but other piano VSTs don't hurt when I play that A key.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: "offending notes" in Pianoteq [Re: Grazilerimba] #2768391
09/29/18 02:17 PM
09/29/18 02:17 PM
S
stamkorg Offline
stamkorg  Offline
S

Yes me too, but not the same note.
The B5 sounds harsh to me.
It seems this is very personal.
There are some solutions that can help:
1. Use the EQ to slightly cut the specific frequency of this note
2. Slightly decrease the volume or detune the annoying notes (possible with the standard and pro version, not sure with the stage)
3. With the pro version there is a lot of parameters to tweak note by note to improve that.

Despite of this, Pianoteq still remains my favorite vst piano for all its the other advantages.

Re: "offending notes" in Pianoteq [Re: stamkorg] #2768392
09/29/18 02:21 PM
09/29/18 02:21 PM
S
stamkorg Offline
stamkorg  Offline
S

Also, try the Bluthner, it sounds much more soft on the High register

Re: "offending notes" in Pianoteq [Re: Grazilerimba] #2768402
09/29/18 02:55 PM
09/29/18 02:55 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
There we go again! Moddart's tryin' their very best to replicate a real piano with dodgy sounding notes and there are complaints, I've noticed these myself; it's a welcome, refreshing change from the clinical digital sound (88 note tuning? Why bother) which seems to be in vogue with the makers at least . . .De-tuning will even up things a little for you and sound even more authentic to boot.
What's not to like?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: "offending notes" in Pianoteq [Re: Grazilerimba] #2768447
09/29/18 07:40 PM
09/29/18 07:40 PM
Atlanta, GA
J
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jake Jackson  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Atlanta, GA
Could the problem be with your keyboard? The sensors are worn on those notes, or it just wasn't calibrated correctly? Have you tried switching it out with another MIDI keyboard? Seems very odd that it is always the same notes that offend.

Re: "offending notes" in Pianoteq [Re: Grazilerimba] #2768574
09/30/18 12:48 PM
09/30/18 12:48 PM
G
Grazilerimba Offline OP
Grazilerimba  Offline OP
G

Hello,
just to be clear, this is not exactly a complaint thread... I think I have voiced my opinion on Pianoteq's sound here before, I personally prefer sampled pianos and rather dislike PIanoteq's sound which sounds artificial to me, but what I mean is that I can now finally appreciate Pianoteq's playability, and that lead to me spending more time with it, and that made me discover this note.

I don't mean that it just stands out or is harsh - several sampled VSTs have harsh notes that stand out, but none of them actually hurt my ears in the headphones. They're just louder and annoying. That one A key in Pianoteq actually hurts my ears, leading me to avoid playing it or trying to play it quieter. So much that, if I play for a bit and hit that key repeatedly, my ears keep hurting for a while after I am finished playing. That's what lead me to the suspicion that this could be caused by my sound system, but then - no other sampled VST does this.

One annoyance in Pianoteq which doesn't hurt my ears is that a couple of specific bass notes, I think it was one of the Cs, sound very metallic, as if they have a tin can sound quality to it. I read a couple of forum posts on here in which people complained about that as well, and someone suggested to make a change to the string length. I laughed at that, but then tried it myself, and in my disbelief, it actually changed the sound and made the metallic sound a lot weaker. Ivory II American Concert D has one such note, leading me to believe that for whatever reason, some Steinways might have one or several notes that have this kind of quality to them. But my point is, this didn't hurt my ears. Only my soul and my wallet crazy

The Bluethner has the same issue as the Steinway. The only thing that actually helped was to switch over to Binaural, that alleviated it a lot, but then it also sounds drastically different.

Re: Jake Jackson, I think this has nothing to do with my Keyboard. It's not just about a note velocity that's too high, but rather about notes having a certain quality to them that hurts my ears. This would also happen if I create a midi file inside my DAW without using my keyboard.

I'll try stamkorg's suggestions. I thought what he suggested was only possible with the Pro version which I don't own. I believe that the individual note volume is not possible to change with Standard. But I'll look. Despite its sound I'm actually looking forward to spending more time with Pianoteq now, if I can find a solution for this. Thank you

Last edited by Grazilerimba; 09/30/18 12:55 PM.
Re: "offending notes" in Pianoteq [Re: Grazilerimba] #2768583
09/30/18 01:47 PM
09/30/18 01:47 PM
Zurich
S
Smaug Offline
Smaug  Offline
S

Zurich
If you can't alter the piano not-by-note and are using Pianoteq inside a DAW, just apply a notch eq filter to reduce the offending frequency band.

Update: sorry just saw this has been suggested already.

Last edited by Smaug; 09/30/18 01:48 PM.
Re: "offending notes" in Pianoteq [Re: Grazilerimba] #2768696
10/01/18 03:56 AM
10/01/18 03:56 AM
B
Beakybird Offline
500 Post Club Member
Beakybird  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

You can change individual volume of notes in standard. Right click volume? If not, read manual.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
Re: "offending notes" in Pianoteq [Re: Beakybird] #2768752
10/01/18 09:28 AM
10/01/18 09:28 AM
G
Grazilerimba Offline OP
Grazilerimba  Offline OP
G

Originally Posted by Beakybird
You can change individual volume of notes in standard. Right click volume? If not, read manual.

Nice! I had no idea you could do this, but it worked. I was able to reduce the volume of the offending notes, and while they are not quieter, they don't sting in my ear anymore.
It looks like this is a Pro feature. In the FAQ it says:

"Is there a trial version of Pianoteq Pro?
The Pianoteq trial version is for evaluation of both Pianoteq Standard and Pianoteq Pro. In particular, volume and detune are editable note per note to demonstrate the possibilities of the Pro version."

So is this note per note editing just a demo functionality and will go away after 20 minutes or something? I'll see as I play the instrument more.

And thank you Smaug, I could indeed use an EQ inside a DAW. I don't have much knowledge about using these plugins but I'll start learning it.

Re: "offending notes" in Pianoteq [Re: Grazilerimba] #2768793
10/01/18 12:30 PM
10/01/18 12:30 PM
S
stamkorg Offline
stamkorg  Offline
S

Originally Posted by Grazilerimba

So is this note per note editing just a demo functionality and will go away after 20 minutes or something? I'll see as I play the instrument more.

Volume and Detune are the only 2 parameters that can be edited note by note in the Standard version.

To edit the other parameters note by note, the pro version is required

Re: "offending notes" in Pianoteq [Re: stamkorg] #2769013
10/02/18 09:19 AM
10/02/18 09:19 AM
G
Grazilerimba Offline OP
Grazilerimba  Offline OP
G

Originally Posted by stamkorg
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba

Volume and Detune are the only 2 parameters that can be edited note by note in the Standard version.

To edit the other parameters note by note, the pro version is required

Thank you for clearing this up. Gotta say, the Note Edit Function looks very advanced. Reminds me of the edit window in the VSL Vienna Imperial and CFX pianos.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Careless Whisper - easy question
by XxKeldecknightxX. 10/23/19 03:32 AM
EV ZXA1 - Ruggedness Testing
by Charles Cohen. 10/23/19 03:08 AM
2011 Yamaha GC2
by inna_denver. 10/22/19 11:17 PM
Has anybody used Schaum series?
by Mils. 10/22/19 10:41 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,687
Posts2,882,380
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission