2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
61 members (bobrunyan, c++, chih-wei, chipsneeze, accordeur, Chrispy, 36251, 17 invisible), 422 guests, and 470 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Modartt releases ANT. PETROF 275 concert grand for Pianoteq
peterws #2768309 09/29/18 05:44 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have indeed stayed with it. For about eight years.
Originally Posted by peterws
These things take time; stay with it, play with it.
I've tried every demo release of Pianoteq since version 2. That version was intensely horrible, and version 3 was almost as bad. Versions 4+ are better, but still they all sound fake.

I know what it is so sit in front of a proper acoustic piano, and yet the sound of Pianoteq is that of a piano that is set "somewhere else". It's not here. It's in another room. It just doesn't have presence. (And that's just for the lowest four octaves. The upper three have an even less satisfying tinkling tone that I find abhorrent.)

I wish Modartt would stop building model after model (Steinway, Steingraeber, Petrof, Bechstein, Grotrian, etc.) and instead focus on making just one of them ... just one ... sound like a piano.

Perhaps the problem derives from my dislike of the modern pop piano sound? A piano that "cuts through the mix" does not interest me. I'm only interested in the sound of solo piano performance. Authenticity is no never mind for many forms of modern music. But it matters a lot to me.

Elsewhere on this board, when discussing sampled VSTs, there are fussy discussions over the lack of proper half-pedaling, the tech-derived dropouts and clicks, the inadequate dynamics, and on and on. These things are important. But they are mere flaws in an otherwise almost-real sampled piano sound. They are minor crystalline inclusions in an otherwise flawless diamond. Whereas Pianoteq is a piece of broken glass pretending to be a gemstone.

It just doesn't work for me.

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Nor #2768324 09/29/18 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by Smaug
A couple of years ago, as a side project, I built my own modelled piano. I read the latest literature, implemented the equations and built a simple AudioUnits plugin of Mac. It was not a pretty sound, but it was a start and gave me more of an understanding of what's required. The main thing I learnt was that the string attack and sustain waves can be well modelled, but what is difficult to capture is the interaction with the soundboard. The most realistic-sounding models were those that took an impulse response of a piano soundboard (literally by hitting the bridge with a hammer!) and convolved that with what was being generated by the purely physically modelled string equations. I would consider this a data/modelling coupling. Maybe Modart needs to do similarly. Just speculation...

I'm thinking I should put what I have on GitHub and turn this into a community project. It would be great to have an open-source physical piano model.

A good idea! So you can collect ideas from people from different fields of knowledge and from different points of the world!

Smaug #2768327 09/29/18 07:24 AM
P
Online Content
P

I'm thinking I should put what I have on GitHub and turn this into a community project. It would be great to have an open-source physical piano model.

Bring it on. We also need a Linux distro dedicated only to Piano vst. So you turn on the laptop and the piano is ready to play without waiting for any boot up.

Smaug #2768329 09/29/18 07:28 AM
Nor Offline OP
OP Offline
A couple of years ago, as a side project, I built my own modelled piano. I read the latest literature, implemented the equations and built a simple AudioUnits plugin of Mac. It was not a pretty sound, but it was a start and gave me more of an understanding of what's required. The main thing I learnt was that the string attack and sustain waves can be well modelled, but what is difficult to capture is the interaction with the soundboard. The most realistic-sounding models were those that took an impulse response of a piano soundboard (literally by hitting the bridge with a hammer!) and convolved that with what was being generated by the purely physically modelled string equations. I would consider this a data/modelling coupling. Maybe Modart needs to do similarly. Just speculation...

Great idea! why not!

—Nor

KAWAI MP7—KORG TRITON EXTREME—VILABS TRUEKEYS & RAVENSCROFT—AS YAMAHA C7 & KAWAI EX PRO—GARRITAN CFX FULL CONCERT—PIANOTEQ 6 PRO—IVORY II AMERICAN CONCERT D—M-TRACK HUB—YAMAHA HS50—PreSonus HD7—JTS HP 535—NI NOIRE—BIG SWING GRAND—EASTWEST PIANOS GOLD BUNDLE
MacMacMac #2768378 09/29/18 11:35 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A couple of years ago, as a side project, I built my own modelled piano. ...I'm thinking I should put what I have on GitHub and turn this into a community project. It would be great to have an open-source physical piano model.

Impressive project! It would be nice to drop it on GitHub. I think it would be fun to play and to learn from. With some luck, a few experts might drop in and help bring this to the next level.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I wish Modartt would stop building model after model (Steinway, Steingraeber, Petrof, Bechstein, Grotrian, etc.) and instead focus on making just one of them ... just one ... sound like a piano.

Agreed.

Maybe the PianoTeq "engine" is near practical limits. Maybe PianoTeq don't have another "engine" in the pipeline. Maybe marketing figured that releasing more "piano models" boosts revenues a lot more than releasing a refined version of the "engine."

newer player #2768387 09/29/18 12:41 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by newer player
A couple of years ago, as a side project, I built my own modelled piano. ...I'm thinking I should put what I have on GitHub and turn this into a community project. It would be great to have an open-source physical piano model.

Impressive project! It would be nice to drop it on GitHub. I think it would be fun to play and to learn from. With some luck, a few experts might drop in and help bring this to the next level.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Agreed.

Maybe the PianoTeq "engine" is near practical limits. Maybe PianoTeq don't have another "engine" in the pipeline. Maybe marketing figured that releasing more "piano models" boosts revenues a lot more than releasing a refined version of the "engine."

Hmm...Despite I love Pianoteq I partially agree, I am not crazy for new piano every couple of months compare to like was before at the half way to new version and that make some questions. But I dont like to make some arbitrary statements. Maybe its true what you say, maybe not. Time will tell. In the meantime we can all enjoy in piano we like the most. Every bird to own nest. Pianoteq is still my first choice for serious practicing on digital piano.

Last edited by slobajudge; 09/29/18 12:46 PM.
Nor #2768467 09/29/18 09:41 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Chopin's Nocturne op 27 no.2 vs. op.72 no.1
by RhaegarTargaryen - 11/30/20 03:51 PM
back after 34 years
by JerryLouis - 11/30/20 02:44 PM
Roland FP-30 Bluetooth Connectivity Issue
by Yaboku - 11/30/20 01:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,171
Posts3,029,031
Members99,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission