2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 398 of 452 1 2 396 397 398 399 400 451 452
Originally Posted by monkeeys
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys

Monkeeys, I know you are in the Carolinas somewhere. Be safe next week. Looks like Florence is coming for a visit.

Thank you GidgetKeys, Im in the upstate of SC and keeping a close watch on the weather. Im admittedly afraid of storms s.ince a rough time about 10 yrs back. I’m just hoping this thing stays offshore as I’m sure all of our east coast members are.

I'm in Central PA but headed to Cape May, NJ (southern tip) for next two weeks - latest NWS forecast this morning shows Florence headed most likely somewhere near or just a bit north of the North/South Carolina border, but there is still time for are other possible computer generated paths to take hold...stay safe.

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Handyman

Monkeeys, I know you are in the Carolinas somewhere. Be safe next week. Looks like Florence is coming for a visit.

Thank you GidgetKeys, Im in the upstate of SC and keeping a close watch on the weather. Im admittedly afraid of storms s.ince a rough time about 10 yrs back. I’m just hoping this thing stays offshore as I’m sure all of our east coast members are.

I'm in Central PA but headed to Cape May, NJ (southern tip) for next two weeks - latest NWS forecast this morning shows Florence headed most likely somewhere near or just a bit north of the North/South Carolina border, but there is still time for are other possible computer generated paths to take hold...stay safe.

This thing is big Handyman. Some models are showing heavy rains into PA. Be careful traveling.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
F
F
I have now started on Laura. Might be a little more difficult for me since I am not very familiar with the song.

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
R
R
Hey all, thoughts on Alfred Piano Course Express vs Adult All-in-One? Thanks!

Novice Private Piano Teacher

BA Music, Biology Minor

Yamaha G3, Yamaha P-515
Originally Posted by Finfan
I have now started on Laura. Might be a little more difficult for me since I am not very familiar with the song.

Finfan - this is the beautiful title tune from the 1944 movie - here is one live vocal version:

Laura

Also search for "Laura Piano Alfred" on YouTube for versions from the Method, including an extended tutorial...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
F
F
Thanks Handyman! I've been listening to the Johnny Mathis version and Tiny Mozarts rendition of the Alfred's score. Still new tunes are always slow for me. I'll probably spend 5 to 6 weeks learning this one.

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I’ve been just reviewing and polishing lessons from the book this past week and look to do the same this week as well. It’s more review In both the Faber and Alfred’s 2 starting pages so that’s the lesson plan. I hope you all are well.

Ryan, I only have experience with the All In One course but I’m surprised that you haven’t got an answer.

Alesis Coda Pro
P
P
Slow (but I suppose steady) progress.

I sometimes play so well when I practice..then seem to completely derail when I play at my lesson. I get frustrated making mistakes...which turns into a vicious cycle of me cursing and starting over laugh Of course I came home and seemed to play just fine eek

Thankfully, my teacher is very easy-going.

Getting into "F Major" in Alfred's...Little Brown Jug looks like it might be a challenge. Not too much more to go in book 1!

Working on a version of "Sunny" as well.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pathguy

I sometimes play so well when I practice..then seem to completely derail when I play at my lesson. I get frustrated making mistakes...which turns into a vicious cycle of me cursing and starting over laugh Of course I came home and seemed to play just fine eek

I love being a beginner, don’t you?

Alesis Coda Pro
P
P

I love being a beginner, don’t you?

Always!!

P
P

Thankfully, my teacher is very easy-going.

A common affliction it seems. Just had my 11th lesson and I am getting better in this respect.

Progman
Baldwin Console
Long Live ELP
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I’m happy for your progress progman.

Alesis Coda Pro
C
C
I’m up to playing When The Saints Go Marching in (melody on both the right and left hands). I made the mistake of trying to learn the F chord on the right hand as soon as was introduced for the left hand by just mirroring the fingering, and reaching with finger 5, only to later find out that for the right hand the fingering is actually different (leaving finger 1 in place and sliding everything else over). Didn’t take too long to relearn the chord their recommended way, but I’ll be careful to try to avoid making assumptions again.

In Fundamental Keys, I finished book 1, and have moved onto the original book. I was able to review the beginning material pretty quickly, and am working on the first couple of classical pieces now, which is exciting. I find it’s been quite nice to work through both in parallel, as they seem to have different strengths, and introduce things at a different pace. They both do a good job with having melodies played with either hand. AIO introduces hands together playing much sooner, and some chords, while FK has yet to introduce chords at all. However, I think FK’s pieces have been a bit more challenging melodically and rhythmically. The biggest difference is that AIO has been in C position the whole time so far, while FK has had hands start in different positions constantly (but still remaining in position for the whole piece), which I think may be helping with my ability to better read notes. I also set up some flash cards (in anki) for note reading, and identitying keys on the piano, which I think are helping.

P
P
great progress, Coatimundi!!

I'm about set to tackle "Little Brown Jug". I have the feeling it may be problematic, as this is the first F major song, so I have to remember that the b is flat.

I had the darndest time with the first few bars of the G blues scale. I had to play VERRRRRRY slowly with my metronome in order to get it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm curious about this Alfred's course. Are there any examples of early pieces? The videos I've seen seem quite advanced!

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
P
P
Originally Posted by Coatimundi
I’m up to playing When The Saints Go Marching....In Fundamental Keys, I finished book 1, ...

Good stuff Coat - my teacher highlighted the right hand F chord thing - you will get used to it in no time. I have dappled with Fundamental Keys and agree with your comments. I'm a bit ahead of you working on getting consistent with eighth notes. Are you counting out loud, using a metronome?

Progman
Baldwin Console
Long Live ELP
Originally Posted by LarryShone
I'm curious about this Alfred's course. Are there any examples of early pieces? The videos I've seen seem quite advanced!

Look on YouTube for Let's Play Piano Methods and find the playlist for this specific book. He goes through every piece in depth and there is a Play with Me segment at the end of each video.

That should help you. He has many other method books as well.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryShone

Look on YouTube for Let's Play Piano Methods and find the playlist for this specific book. He goes through every piece in depth and there is a Play with Me segment at the end of each video.

That should help you. He has many other method books as well.

Thanks, I will have a look.

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I see book one is very basic, the videos start from page 12 and is very basic, an introduction to the keyboard (earlier videos are unavailable but I wouldn't need them anyway) , I can skip those.

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
tinymozarts on YouTube also has a set of videos for this method book, and many others.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeW-cELRAmSl9fQyFwa9BIpeSHzlxuSYM

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Page 398 of 452 1 2 396 397 398 399 400 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission