2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

We're getting a lot of questions here about recent Asian made stencil pianos. We might be able to figure some of them out via Pierce if we could narrow down the makers who have been active in that market. Running the given serial numbers through all the candidate tables in Pierce could eliminate some of the possibilities.

So who are the candidate makers we should consider? Samick, Daewoo/Shojin, Young Chang, who else?

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
this trade site lists the top five manufacturers in the glorious people's republic. with those five companies identified, consumers can determine what brands names are marketed from each. there's also Parsons of course, which probably gets pianos from some of those five manufacturers. do steinway's stencil brands get exempted from the category ?

http://daxueconsulting.com/the-piano-industry-in-china/

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
John, you've been kind, considerate and generous in sharing the information in your Pierce Piano catalog of the various makes and brands. Other here have too, but I've noticed that you have been very active lately in trying to help others who ask questions about various makes and brands of pianos. So, thank you for that; that is what Piano World is all about, or at least should be.

That said, there are so many brands out there it can be quite confusing for consumers, even those who are familiar with pianos to an extent (like me). But I learn something new regarding pianos almost every day, and that is why I enjoy the Piano World forums.

And, you are right, Stencils are even more confusing, it seems. For example, I almost learned the hard way that a DH Baldwin ain't no real Baldwin. smile

So, you do have to be careful...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by Rickster
And, you are right, Stencils are even more confusing, it seems. For example, I almost learned the hard way that a DH Baldwin ain't no real Baldwin. smile

So, you do have to be careful...

Rick

Even before pianos came from Asia, many people learned that Hamiltons, Howards, Monarchs, and other names made by and used by Baldwins were not real Baldwins, particularly the grands.

Semipro Tech
S
S
Pearl River of course do quite a few stencils - although the difference between brands and stencils are sometimes difficult to discern. However, in the UK at least, some models in the PR range can be identical pianos but be named either Bentley, Waldstein, Steinbach or Ritmuller.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Does anyone know where the Gors and Kallmann are made today ?I believe they were made in made as stencels in the UK ,I think by Knight and even South Africa by a German piano maker by the name of Dietman .I think that was the name .I see Gors and Kallmann is still being made today .I don't think by those 2 countries.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Gors and Kallman was a Berlin piano company. the present day pianos with the brand name are built in the glorious people's republik. Roberts pianos (Oxford) has experience in restoring the Berlin-made pianos.

http://www.robertspianos.com/cdetails.php?ID=98&Make=Gors-&-Kallmann-Pianos

the present day pianos

https://shacklefordpianos.com/gors-kallmann-125cm-upright-piano-in-victorian-style/

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you for letting me know .My husband had a Gors and Kallmann when we lived in South Africa for a while .It was not bad, but a stencel made in S.A .My first music teacher had an original German one .By the way we sold the stencel .It has lasted for years .Regards.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/28/18 02:26 AM.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
What about Ramaou pianos, Oh I cannot think how you spell the name .It is sold in France ,named after the composer and theory expert .First name Claude I think .Born in Dijon .Are the pianos stencels or made in France? They seem quite popular .

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
if you mean Rameau pianos, until late in the last millennium they were still being made in la belle france. apparently they marketed pianos in the UK with the famous department store, harrod's. they were making Schimmel clones at one point.

https://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-forums/viewtopic.php?t=4840

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2344015/Rameau.html

Rameau and a couple of other known french piano makers (Gaveau for example) were 'amalgamated' by Pleyel in the last few decades Pleyel existed as a french piano maker. since the pleyel brand has been revived in Indonesia-made pianos (big companies relabelling indonesia-built pianos include Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway, Samick), it's very possible that recent 'rameau' pianos are also built there.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/Resources/Piano-Brands-Profiles/Detail/ArticleId/285/Brand/PLEYEL

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks ! I am on vacation in Paris .We went a piano store and saw a few European pianos and also Kawai pianos.There were at least 2 vertical Ramau pianos and we were told by a lady they were popular .The store also contained used pianos .Some seamed like real bargains in the used piano section .

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Yesterday I went into a music store and there was what looked like a 19th century Heintzman upright piano. It had what looked like a Gothic pattern on the upper front panel .When lifting the keyboard cover , a section opened ,I think behind the music desk .

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Lady Bird< I love Paris. It seems that Piano's are quite a bit cheaper over there.

If you have enough time I suggest you take this walk.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...rte_Rene_Dumont-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

If you have been in New York the highline is based on this. Old elevated train tracks that have been converted into a park.

One more link for you, it takes half a day but a great/ cheap way to see Paris with the Parisiens.

https://www.messynessychic.com/2012/07/06/paris-secret-park-in-the-sky-the-original-high-line/

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Yesterday I went into a music store and there was what looked like a 19th century Heintzman upright piano. It had what looked like a Gothic pattern on the upper front panel .When lifting the keyboard cover , a section opened ,I think behind the music desk .

Sorry went and posted before I finished !
When I played the piano it produced a strange tinny sound and sounded almost like an old piano .The colour of this piano was a strange mauve brown.
Heintzman was a well known Canadian piano. This Victorian style piano was a new stencil piano .Its action was OK I could even play with a teeny bit of expression. It would do very well at a childrens Halloween party .Canadian Halloween is at the end of the month .
By the way I am BACK in Vancouver. SORRY to SPOIL your your JOKE LEARUX .

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Learux
Lady Bird< I love Paris. It seems that Piano's are quite a bit cheaper over there.

If you have been in New York the highline is based on this. Old elevated train tracks that have been converted into a park.

One more link for you, it takes half a day but a great/ cheap way to see Paris with the Parisiens.

https://www.messynessychic.com/2012/07/06/paris-secret-park-in-the-sky-the-original-high-line/

The piano is a music store in Vancouver. We had a great time in Paris went Versailles, saw the Mona Lisa ,the paintings of Van Gogh ,the impressionist paintings ,climbed the towers of Notre Dame etc .The thing I do not do is make unfortunate people a curiosity .There were plenty of refugees and other kinds of sad people in Paris .I also have been to Paris a number of times .So now LEARUX you can go back to your fancy Steinways !

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
No I am not looking for a cheap piano as I have just bought a Sauter 130 .Also I did not go to Paris on the cheap .LEARUX it surprises me .,what kind of mind makes fun of poverty !!!
You answer that not me !

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Learux

The piano is a music store in Vancouver. We had a great time in Paris went Versailles, saw the Mona Lisa ,the paintings of Van Gogh ,the impressionist paintings ,climbed the towers of Notre Dame etc .The thing I do not do is make unfortunate people a curiosity .There were plenty of refugees and other kinds of sad people in Paris .I also have been to Paris a number of times .So now LEARUX you can go back to your fancy Steinways !

The whole point of what I was saying is that I find it very strange that a well respected Canadian piano that gave many families joy should end up as a weird kind of Gothic caricature stencil piano . I am interested in the whole social aspects of the piano and piano playing .Selling it in a Canadian music store is even more weird!

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks ! I am on vacation in Paris .We went a piano store and saw a few European pianos and also Kawai pianos.There were at least 2 vertical Ramau pianos and we were told by a lady they were popular .The store also contained used pianos .Some seamed like real bargains in the used piano section .

Lady Bird, have you been sipping too much wine? I missed the date and was under the impression that you were still on vacation in Paris.

All I did was give you a pointer for a nice thing to do while in Paris. I don't understand the yelling at me nor the reference to "my fancy steinways"

I hope you sleep well and wake up without a hangover, your response was uncalled for.

Learux

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I am sorry if I am wrong ! But you did emphasize looking at cheap pianos in Paris and going to free sights ,looking at where the rich live .The bargains in Paris I was talking about were on used Bechsteins ,Bluthner etc.The only stencels I saw there were Ramau pianos. This whole thread is about the cheaper pianos which some people are proud of as that's all they can afford .
Again Learux I am sorry if I am oversensitive and misunderstood you .At the moment I am having some health concerns and perhaps need to start sipping too much wine ! Especially as I hardly do at all . I see you have a Schimmel grand ,very nice piano .You a Schimmel and me a Sauter upright .,we are both blessed or lucky which ever seems better .

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission