2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
69 members (andredatele, brennbaer, Burkey, clothearednincompo, 1957, 36251, 17 invisible), 466 guests, and 485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Modartt releases ANT. PETROF 275 concert grand for Pianoteq
#2767725 09/26/18 08:21 AM
Nor Offline OP
OP Offline
This physically modelled virtual instrument is authorized by PETROF and is available as an instrument pack for Pianoteq 6.

https://www.pianoteq.com/antpetrof

—Nor

KAWAI MP7—KORG TRITON EXTREME—VILABS TRUEKEYS & RAVENSCROFT—AS YAMAHA C7 & KAWAI EX PRO—GARRITAN CFX FULL CONCERT—PIANOTEQ 6 PRO—IVORY II AMERICAN CONCERT D—M-TRACK HUB—YAMAHA HS50—PreSonus HD7—JTS HP 535—NI NOIRE—BIG SWING GRAND—EASTWEST PIANOS GOLD BUNDLE
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: Modartt releases ANT. PETROF 275 concert grand for Pianoteq
Nor #2767735 09/26/18 09:52 AM
G
G
Gotta hand it to them, they really have a faible for the smaller and not so prevalent brands. I really appreciate that about Modartt. The sound is really great in the demos, but the upper registers sound just as thin and 'stingy' as with some of their previous instruments. Gotta say though, they have come a long way. This sounds a lot more believable than just a few years ago. Looking forward to what they come up with next. Even though IMHO they should focus on lesser piano models and try to improve the core modeling engine, but I raised this concern a while ago already and some people argued that the many different models won't detract them from doing that. Anyway, their sale is also nice. Might grab this one with the Steingaber which also sounded neat.

Grazilerimba #2767739 09/26/18 10:25 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
Might grab this one with the Steingaber which also sounded neat.

I keep saying I'm going to get the Steingaber, but never got around to it. Maybe I will now, but i fear that I will get bored with the sounds and just go back to the internal sound of the digital.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
bSharp(C)yclist #2767745 09/26/18 10:52 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

I keep saying I'm going to get the Steingaber, but never got around to it. Maybe I will now, but i fear that I will get bored with the sounds and just go back to the internal sound of the digital.

If you have them set up right, I don't see how anyone would want to go back to the native voices . . . . the variety is tremendous. And now there's the Petrof. . . . better ask Morodienne about that one.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
bSharp(C)yclist #2767746 09/26/18 10:54 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

*Holds breath gasped* :-) What digital piano sound would that be? From a Yamaha, to a Casio and a Roland I've failed to find one that betters Pianoteq (ver 6 - never used it prior) and none offered the level of expression I can get from Pianoteq.

Nor #2767750 09/26/18 11:01 AM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I think the demos of this new instrument are quite interesting. I listened to the Mozart first, and it sounds surprisingly good most of the time, but there were passages that gave away the Pianoteq origins of the sound, especially in the Alberti bass. It's notable that the Mozart has quite a lot of reverb, however. Then I heard the Debussy, which was also fairly reverb-heavy and all about dynamics and interesting sonorities. Sounded very promising; had they finally cracked it? Then I listened to the Bach, which is not masked by nice reverb and interesting harmonic possibilities, and there it was: back to the characteristic Pianoteq 80s midi sound.

It feels like an artificially drawn image that is trying to convince you that it is a photograph. In soft focus and the right lighting conditions you can almost believe it, but then you put your glasses on and turn the lights back on and the artificial nature of it is all too apparent. Still, they're getting closer.

Last edited by karvala; 09/26/18 11:02 AM.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
Nor #2767751 09/26/18 11:06 AM
A
A
Ever since I got Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq has retired. The notes starts pretty convincing, but unfortunately, the sustain is not natural. Once you hear it, you can't un-hear it.

Nor #2767755 09/26/18 11:14 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Perhaps it is an issue on my part in how I have Pianoteq configured, maybe different mic placements would help. I'm quite pleased with the internal sound of the AvantGrand N2 that I have and it's what I use almost all the time. I know, many people say it's an old sound smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Nor #2767860 09/26/18 09:36 PM
F
F
The thing I love about this Ant. Petrof by Pianoteq is its woodiness, for lack of a better word, as if the sound actually traveled through wood. Hope this makes sense.

karvala #2767884 09/27/18 12:58 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by karvala
I think the demos of this new instrument are quite interesting. I listened to the Mozart first, and it sounds surprisingly good most of the time, but there were passages that gave away the Pianoteq origins of the sound, especially in the Alberti bass. It's notable that the Mozart has quite a lot of reverb, however. Then I heard the Debussy, which was also fairly reverb-heavy and all about dynamics and interesting sonorities. Sounded very promising; had they finally cracked it? Then I listened to the Bach, which is not masked by nice reverb and interesting harmonic possibilities, and there it was: back to the characteristic Pianoteq 80s midi sound.

It feels like an artificially drawn image that is trying to convince you that it is a photograph. In soft focus and the right lighting conditions you can almost believe it, but then you put your glasses on and turn the lights back on and the artificial nature of it is all too apparent. Still, they're getting closer.

I wonder how you or I would react to a real acoustic grand; it's only comparisons that enable any of us to get picky. Years ago, you bought a piano, got it home and . . . just played it. End of . . . .the only comparison I had was with that of my music teacher.

"[Linked Image]"
Nor #2767903 09/27/18 04:14 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Just d/l PT6.3; the extra instruments came with that, fortunately. What I have noticed is that a stronger better bass is apparent, and I don't have to fiddle around with vel curves etc. The default flat response is good on it's own. It's good and powerful.

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2767906 09/27/18 04:37 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by peterws
Just d/l PT6.3; the extra instruments came with that, fortunately. What I have noticed is that a stronger better bass is apparent, and I don't have to fiddle around with vel curves etc. The default flat response is good on it's own. It's good and powerful.

Same here (re: download) - the bass is good no doubt but do you find the upper registers a little on the bright side (not since 6.3 since all versions but I've only used it from 6.2)?

I find that if I use a warmer sound preset it compromises the bass sound a little - ideally I'd like a strong bright(ish) bass but a warmer tone on the upper side...do you find the same?

Last edited by jamiecw; 09/27/18 04:38 AM.
peterws #2767910 09/27/18 05:16 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

I wonder how you or I would react to a real acoustic grand; it's only comparisons that enable any of us to get picky. Years ago, you bought a piano, got it home and . . . just played it. End of . . . .the only comparison I had was with that of my music teacher.

+1

peterws #2767927 09/27/18 08:50 AM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K

I must have played on well over a hundred acoustic grands at some point or other, and I played three daily for a number of years. I still play acoustic grands regularly, and I can honestly say I've never had the same experience with an acoustic grand that I have with Pianoteq in terms the sense of artificiality. That's not to say that all acoustic grands are better - in fact, a large proportion of the those I've played on have been pretty bad in one way or another - and in some cases I'd definitely prefer playing on a DP with Pianoteq, but the acoustics have always sounded real.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
jamiecw #2767938 09/27/18 10:37 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jamiecw

Same here (re: download) - the bass is good no doubt but do you find the upper registers a little on the bright side (not since 6.3 since all versions but I've only used it from 6.2)?

I find that if I use a warmer sound preset it compromises the bass sound a little - ideally I'd like a strong bright(ish) bass but a warmer tone on the upper side...do you find the same?

It is bright in the upper registers, and you get a nice ring even where the top notes are, but not on the Bechstein. I imagine fondly that an acoustic Bechstein of that model would display similar characteristics. I wouldn't think Moddart would slip up on this; most modern grands and uprights are a lot brighter, clashier almost, than any digital piano would be; Moddart are concerned more with authenticity, because that's what people who buy into this stuff want, whereas the Digital manufacturers are concerned more with that sweet piano sound which sells to the less (cough cough) discerning. (grin) That's why they all pretty much sound the same.

Last edited by peterws; 09/27/18 10:39 AM.

"[Linked Image]"
Nor #2767951 09/27/18 11:26 AM
M
M
Has anyone noticed that they changed from "True Modelling" to "Data & Modelling Coupling" in the Moddart's logo?
I don't know when it happened shocked

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
Marcos Daniel #2767953 09/27/18 12:01 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel
Has anyone noticed that they changed from "True Modelling" to "Data & Modelling Coupling" in the Moddart's logo?

Interesting. I can't divine what the change means. Do they explain if anything is different in how they produce piano sounds? Or does it just seem like a marketing change?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Marcos Daniel #2767955 09/27/18 12:02 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel

I don`t know how was earlier in Modartt logo, but in Pianoteq logo still standing True modeling. Whatever they found to work more better for closer acoustic piano experience (data/modeling/hybrid, etc) they have my vote.

Last edited by slobajudge; 09/27/18 12:04 PM.
Gombessa #2767963 09/27/18 01:12 PM
S
S
From "True Modeling" "Data & Modelling Coupling"

My explanation: they started off to (try and) model a (virtual) piano without recreating a specific piano (=true modelling). Now they measure specific existing commercial pianos (data) and adapt their modelling until the sound equals (=coupling)...

Nor #2767977 09/27/18 02:21 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Just realised they have an offer of 50% off any piano if buying the Ant.Petrof - I might just buy me a couple of pianos tonight! :-)

Last edited by jamiecw; 09/27/18 02:22 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Relation beetwen woofer inches - piano feet
by Ubu - 12/03/20 09:47 AM
Cleaning up 100 year old ebony finishes
by jkess114 - 12/03/20 08:58 AM
upright piano looks like a grand piano
by Maximillyan - 12/03/20 08:14 AM
VST and Kawai CA99
by Pianuslongus - 12/03/20 07:49 AM
Best Recording For Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 12/03/20 05:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,229
Posts3,029,973
Members99,460
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission