2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Tim, late in the month, I just listened to the first three submissions. Lovely, all of them! They remind me of my mother, who was a huge fan of Broadway, Gershwin and musicals in general. Thanks for the submissions. I hope to get to the next few soon.....

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bill,

Wow! that was a real hot performance. I love Elvis songs but as a Scot I cannot believe that I could sing one without my accent sounding way out of place! Nice piano too. I look forward to hearing more from you. I was a little surprised that September's Piano Bar came to a halt right after I posted "Melancholy". Sorry if I gave everyone a downer!

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
G
G
Beatrice by Sam Rivers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZE6tb-IEHM

I enjoyed the chords in this, found it difficult to sustain lead lines though, I get bored sticking to just chord tones but it means it can meander sometimes in a more traditional tune like this. Think I need to try some more fusion-type tunes.

P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted by Beemer
I was a little surprised that September's Piano Bar came to a halt right after I posted "Melancholy".
That should not be overrated. According to my experience, the Piano Bar is jumping at the beginning of each month but the contributions posted later get less attention. As far as I am concerned, I have simply overlooked your second rendition. I have listened to it now and find it rather good, "melancholy" as can be, payed with a lot of expression. You are certainly not a beginner at all. I did not know this tune before, have not googled it, and don't know how Louis Armstrong played it. I simply like the way you are playing it. The changes between d minor and F major are intriguing, if that is the proper word.

T
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, guys! A few comments on the new submissions:

BillM -- As others have mentioned, you have just a nice "sense of style" with songs like this -- I prefer it, in fact, to Elvis's version; I think the song has a more laid-back, half-humorous quality that you capture very nicely in your rendition. From an acoustic standpoint, I think the piano is miked somewhat too closely relative to the voice -- you might want to experiment with the balance in that regard. But I'll certainly be looking forward to more submissions from you!

GoldmanT -- For me, this was just the embodiment of "quiet jazz", but in a good sense -- I very much like that idiom, and your rendition was very satisfying throughout -- light, airy, gently swinging. Thanks for sharing it!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Beemer, I remember hearing my mother singing “With a Song in My Heart” while hanging the wash out to dry in the WW2 days. Love that song, and what a perfect title! You (and your piano) brought out those harmonies wonderfully. Nice bluesy effect on Melancholy. I too am a devotee of Satchmo, heard him play live many times, always thought he had some kind of special genius for finding creative possibilities in standard harmonies. About my recording, it was done with a Yamaha Clavinova, using Pianoteq.

Bill, well that brings back some memories - driving to the shore for a day of sun and fun, radio blasting, laughing our heads off every time he sang “itching like a man on a fuzzy tree”. You have not lost the touch, excellent singing and playing.

GoldmanT, interesting and beautiful song. A bit of a challenge, harmonically. I thought you navigated the changes well, I enjoyed your laid-back solo.

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson - I loved all three of your submissions, but was particularly drawn to your Gershwin renditions. You have a wonderful understated style which compliments his music nicely. Coincidentally, on my way home from golf this morning they were playing Grainger’s “Fantasy on George Gershwin’s Porgy and Bess” on SiriusXM.

I always look forward to your professional sounding recordings in both the recitals and the Piano Bar. Well done.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jazztpt - Back during my working days we would occasionally get a drink at some of the upscale bars on K Street after work. Invariably there would be a pianist playing soft melancholy songs on a grand piano. You sir, could find work in a non-virtual piano bar. Your original compositions are first rate.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Ahh, Friday morning coffee with the September Bar. I listened to Tim’s and Jazztpt’s offerings. They harken back to a simpler time - well maybe it was more complicated and less romantic than these nostalgic tunes. They remind me of ones my parents probably listened to in their youth. Gorgeous tunes and playing.

Tim, I enjoy your playing and the back stories. I especially enjoyed I Wish It So. Marc Blitzstein is a an unfamiliar composer to me.

Jazztpt, I could listen to you all day long. Beautiful songs and playing.

Thanks for cheering up my Friday morning!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
GoldmanT - Beautifully done! I love the way you brought in the accompanying strings. Sometimes virtual orchestration doesn’t work for me but this is excellent.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beemer - somehow when I saw that this was a Fats Waller tune I was expecting something more rollicking and up tempo. What a lovely and introspective piece. Your playing is spot on.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
#2766955 09/21/18 08:13 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Pianist685 - I don’t remember the movie but the song is a delight. Nicely played.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ed - - This one has a kind of Bossa Nova feel that is quite enjoyable. Your recording balances your piano with the backing track nicely - your excellent virtual combo knows to stay out of your way.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
GoldmanT - Beatrice This one gave me a very laid back start into the weekend. Cool.

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Bill,
Great rendition of All Shook Up. You’re a double threat - triple if you can dance too - and have a wonderful sense of rhythm, style and performance. Love your ending!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
BillM - nice to see and hear you back in the bar, some vocals are definitely a great addition. As usual a very enjoyable vocal and accompaniment, do you still have your Roland? The Baldwin sounds great too. You always inspire me to have a sing , something I dont do so much these days.

GoldmanT - I didn't know this one, seems I must get out more as there are loads of versions on YouTube. What a great tune and you do it justice , great feel and some nice note choices in your solo.

Jazztpt

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not been at the piano for a few months, took up classical guitar instead, which I'm still on with. I was struggling to keep it up tho, got really fed up with it, then got on the piano and felt much better. Its funny how piano always cheers me up.

https://youtu.be/WKcuNKJKVBA

Last edited by LarryShone; 09/27/18 03:53 PM.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission