2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (Emily2Lame, CraiginNZ, DPAfficionado, Eduardo82, chen, Calavera, DrMickey, Anglagard44, 6 invisible), 439 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I bought a new smart phone a few weeks ago and now have stumbled upon ads for a VPN.

I have a good subscription with my provider and use it for mobile within my country and WIFI at home. I rarely if ever use a local or free WIFI, just my provider for mobile.

Thoughts?

Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What would be your use case for a VPN?

Most privately used VPNs are used to hide the origin of the user. In 99% of all cases that's either to circumvent a region lock (for example to access the US Netflix library from Germany) or to hide from copyright owners (when torrenting copyrighted movies or music). Or both.

Is that your use case?

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert
What would be your use case for a VPN?

Most privately used VPNs are used to hide the origin of the user. In 99% of all cases that's either to circumvent a region lock (for example to access the US Netflix library from Germany) or to hide from copyright owners (when torrenting copyrighted movies or music). Or both.

Is that your use case?

There are times when I want to view a video, typically one embedded in a news article, and my region is excluded.

Apart from that, I really have no need.

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
The most important use of VPN for the phone is to safeguard against Man-In-The-Middle attack when you are using free Wi-Fi Hotspots. Anyone in your favorite coffee shop could look like they are working quietly on his laptop when he is in fact intercepting all the Wi-Fi traffic in the coffee shop or shopping center or whatever. This is a real valid use case for VPN on your phone, and I highly recommend you use it if you use Free Wi-Fi ever. If you don't have a VPN service you should NEVER use free Wi-Fi hotspots. Use your phone service provider's data plan instead.

Just think of it this way. Using free Wi-Fi Hotspot is like walking in public completely naked. The VPN service is like putting on clothing when you walk in public.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
So what have you got against walking in public completely naked? smile
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves
Using free Wi-Fi Hotspot is like walking in public completely naked. The VPN service is like putting on clothing when you walk in public.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I would be worried they see my Big Mac.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
The most important use of VPN for the phone is to safeguard against Man-In-The-Middle attack when you are using free Wi-Fi Hotspots. Anyone in your favorite coffee shop could look like they are working quietly on his laptop when he is in fact intercepting all the Wi-Fi traffic in the coffee shop or shopping center or whatever. This is a real valid use case for VPN on your phone, and I highly recommend you use it if you use Free Wi-Fi ever. If you don't have a VPN service you should NEVER use free Wi-Fi hotspots. Use your phone service provider's data plan instead.

Just think of it this way. Using free Wi-Fi Hotspot is like walking in public completely naked. The VPN service is like putting on clothing when you walk in public.

I just can't be shagged worrying about stuff like this. Happens so infrequently I might as well put my effort into worrying about doing a faceplant as I cross the street and getting hit by a bus.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando

I just can't be shagged worrying about stuff like this. Happens so infrequently I might as well put my effort into worrying about doing a faceplant as I cross the street and getting hit by a bus.

+1

Besides, it’s very difficult to create a SSL man in the middle and even if they do so, your browser or applications will either stop it completely due to the rogue certificate or at least warn you. And most non-SSL services are those that I don’t care being intercepted anyway.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Do you need a VPN for your mobile phone? No.

For using a mobile telephone as a telephone, virtually nobody needs a VPN.

When it comes to using a mobile telephone as a portable on-line computer, the situation pretty much remains the same - you/nobody needs a vpn - with the notable difference, exemplified by JoeT's post, being that it becomes a matter of - do you want a vpn?

VPN technology came into existnce as an alternative / work around for organizations that were unable to find a carrier to provide hard-wired "leased line" service between 2 private end points where, in many cases, at least one end point was rural or otherwise remote to the extent of being outside the reach of any common carrier's leased-line services ( AT$T/Verizon/Bell/MCI/Sprint/etc). VPN tech quickly grew into an alternative solution to dial up connectivity for organizations supporting RAS equipment for their team of on-the-road employees.

These days all kinds of reasons are advertised as to why somebody may want a vpn.

- Kawai MP7 w/ MDR7506 phones and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by drewr

These days all kinds of reasons are advertised as to why somebody may want a vpn.

Most of them dodgy...

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Besides, it’s very difficult to create a SSL man in the middle and even if they do so, your browser or applications will either stop it completely due to the rogue certificate or at least warn you. And most non-SSL services are those that I don’t care being intercepted anyway.

Agree with this as to why the naked in public analogy is overblown. https everywhere is being encouraged by more browsers to make the risk even slighter. Just be aware of what may be intercepted on public wifi. Or use a vpn crazy

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by drewr

Most of them dodgy...

And when we say dodgy, we mean potentially:
- mining your browsing behavior
- inserting ads
- not providing an encrypted VPN at all (no kidding, there are VPN apps that do basically nothing)
And it is actually really most of them, because there are so many of them and there are only a few reputable services.

So if you often are on a public wifi you can not trust, your best options are:
1. do not use it, use cellular instead
2. minimize its use and only use services that encrypt themself
3. use a VPN from a reputable service (or a VPN to your home router, if you know how to do that)

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Kind of amazing how so many take an attitude that it’s all good. Read this https://www.techradar.com/news/public-wi-fi-and-why-you-need-a-vpn

There are literally hundreds of articles that cites VPN is a necessity. Like this http://blog.privatewifi.com/harvard-business-review-dont-use-public-wifi-without-a-vpn/

Don’t take my word for it. Read what every security expert says on the subject. If you don’t know how easy it is to hack a phone on an open network you have not looked at the hacking tools lately.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
8 Octaves, just because I play piano does not mean that I am not a security expert, hmm?

"Hacking a phone" is something different than hacking a HTTPS connection. Some would say easier given that a lot of Android phones never get a software update after they have been sold.

Also, please understand that journalists writing about VPNs are not necessary security experts. A lot of that VPN related content are actually ads. As I have written above, there are scenarios whre you're better of with a VPN. But for most people, selecting a trustworthy VPN is like buying a used piano: they have no idea what to look for.

https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/847607986147041284?lang=en

https://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/vpn/

Friends just brought a digital piano for their daughters. They paid 500 EUR for a used Roland stage piano from 2003 attached to a 50 EUR stereo. You can probably imagine, how that sounds. (and its not even the Roland's fault)

Most VPN services are like that (see above, because there are so many of them).

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Excited to find Piano World forums
by SunnyKeys - 04/20/21 01:21 AM
Windows Audio Low Latency Mode in UVI Workstation
by OzarkCDN - 04/20/21 12:30 AM
First jam session tips
by Utkonos - 04/19/21 09:47 PM
Help with old hardware - MusicPad Pro Freehand
by ElmerJFudd - 04/19/21 09:22 PM
New iOS app Pure Piano
by Jonky Ponky - 04/19/21 07:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,404
Posts3,084,304
Members101,246
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission