2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Good evening folks,

Kawai Japan has issued a software update for the CS11/CS8 and CA97/CA67 digital pianos.

This v1.10 update addresses bugs related to MIDI functionality, while also fixing the playback of monaural MP3 files, and is recommended for all customers.

The full update changelog is shown below:

v1.10 (September 2018)
– Fixed: Key-off velocity could unintentionally be detected as 0.
– Fixed: Transmitting and receiving MIDI events simultaneously could cause a freeze.
– Fixed: Transmitting MIDI events could fail in some rare cases.
– Fixed: Transmitting Note Off MIDI events of Lower section keyboard (Split mode) would fail if Multi-timbre Mode is set to ON1 or ON2.
– Fixed: Renaming/Deleting a “One Registration” file stored on a USB memory device was not possible.
– Fixed: Monaural MP3 files stored on a USB memory device could not be played back correctly.

The software update and update instructions can be downloaded from the ‘Software Updates’ page of the Kawai Global website at the following URL:

http://www.kawai-global.com/support/updates

CS11/CS8 and CA97/CA67 owners are encouraged to update their instruments to use this latest software version.
We also recommend that users backup any user-created recordings before applying the update.

Note that Kawai software updates are cumulative, i.e. the v1.10 update includes the fixes and improvements provided with all previous versions.

That's all for now - please feel free to post your feedback in this thread.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Offline
Some forum members may recall that the rare "Transmit and receive MIDI simultaneously" bug was actually resolved via a beta firmware update (sent directly to the customers that experienced the issue) a couple of years ago, however for whatever reason, a public firmware was never actually issued. This issue was recently reported by another CAx7 customer, prompting this full public release, which includes a handful of other fixes.

This v1.10 update will likely be the final version released for the CS11/CS8 and CA97/CA67.

Kind regards,
James
x

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I have just been looking through the changelog on the CA67 and if I had known about these software updates I might still be the proud owner of a CA67 as one of the problems I had was addressed in an update in 2015. Even more to the point, the Kawai technical support in the various countries should be aware of them and how to correct. The first thing being how to check the software version. I was told that the bug was a feature of the piano - well yes, but correctable.

I would suggest that all CA owners should check their software version, or better still, just update. Hopefully the fixes will have been properly tested and won't have introduced others!

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
OP Offline
Hello Colin,

Originally Posted by Colin Miles
...one of the problems I had was addressed in an update in 2015.

May I ask which one, please?

Kind regards,
James
x

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Colin,

...one of the problems I had was addressed in an update in 2015.

May I ask which one, please?

Kind regards,
James
x

The VT not storing the adjusted setting.

And may I ask if Kawai are going to inform all dealers to do an update on any pianos they have in store?

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
OP Offline
Hello Colin,

The VT not storing the adjusted setting.

Ah, I see.

And may I ask if Kawai are going to inform all dealers to do an update on any pianos they have in store?

This information has been sent to Kawai subsidiaries and distributors. I'm afraid I cannot guarantee that all dealers will update the floor models and stock, but I know that a good number usually do.

In this case however, the CA97/CA67 were superseded by the CA98/CA78 approximately 12 months ago, so it's unlikely that dealers will still have old stock of these models available. The CS11/CS8 are still current generation models, but there was quite a long period between this v1.10 update and the previous v1.09 release, plus this update mostly fixes somewhat rare MIDI issues that are unlikely to occur in a store, so it's perhaps not absolutely necessary for dealers to update their floor stock. But kudos to those who take the initiative!

Kind regards,
James
x

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Just looking at the CA78/98 files. Tiny - but 2 hours to download and update! If it works first time, Kawai need to address this in future.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
OP Offline
Colin, the file download time will depend on the customer’s internet connection speed. The update time depends on the kind of data that is being updated. Updates to the CA98/CA78 and NV10 touchscreen software do take a while, but are not so common.

Regardless, this topic is not related to the CS11/CS8 and CA97/CA67 software update discussed in this thread.

Kind regards,
James
x

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Colin, the file download time will depend on the customer’s internet connection speed. The update time depends on the kind of data that is being updated. Updates to the CA98/CA78 and NV10 touchscreen software do take a while, but are not so common.

Regardless, this topic is not related to the CS11/CS8 and CA97/CA67 software update discussed in this thread.

Kind regards,
James
x

Understood, Maybe they should alter the wording to 'depending on your internet connection speed'. This is something that is always improving - thankfully.

My local store/dealer has a CA78 which I will probably be helping him update, hence the 'interest'.

Last edited by Colin Miles; 09/19/18 05:32 AM. Reason: corrections

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
M
M

Do you have any more details on this one James? Would this manifest all the time on an affected model or only rarely? Does it affect only certain sounds?
Just wondering whether my CA97 could have been missing key off samples etc. on some of the pianos.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C

Kind regards,
James
x

Understood, Maybe they should alter the wording to 'depending on your internet connection speed'. This is something that is always improving - thankfully.

My local store/dealer has a CA78 which I will probably be helping him update, hence the 'interest'.

Just did an update of my Roland LX7, which I should have done a long time ago, and it only took a few minutes, as indicated in the manual.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
OP Offline
Hello Martin,

Originally Posted by Maartin

Do you have any more details on this one James? Would this manifest all the time on an affected model or only rarely? Does it affect only certain sounds?
Just wondering whether my CA97 could have been missing key off samples etc. on some of the pianos.

I will try to find out for you.

Kind regards,
James
x

OP Offline
Hello Colin,

Just did an update of my Roland LX7, which I should have done a long time ago, and it only took a few minutes, as indicated in the manual.

That’s good to know.

While we’re on the topic, my iPad was updated to iOS12 earlier - the process took around 20 minutes to complete, although I didn’t actually measure it accurately.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Kawai James

v1.10 went great on my CA67. Once I read, use Keys 1 2 3.

Qstn

USB memory things

At one time, there were issues with the larger devices. Has that limitation been raised?

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
OP Offline
Hello Jon,

Originally Posted by McBuster
USB memory things

At one time, there were issues with the larger devices. Has that limitation been raised?

Unless it is specifically mentioned in the changelog, I doubt there have been any changes to \USB memory device handling. For what it's worth, I use a 32GB Sandisk Cruiser Fit here, and have never had any problems with any loading/saving data on Kawai DPs.

Kind regards,
James
x

OP Offline
Hello Maartin,

Originally Posted by Maartin

It seems this issue would occur very rarely, and only with the acoustic piano sounds.

Kind regards,
James
x

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Better late than never, I guess. I'm glad this has been released, and my initial test looks promising. It really shouldn't have taken years to be released, though; that's quite disrespectful towards customers in my view.

Last edited by karvala; 09/20/18 04:38 PM.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
D
D
Hello James,

I tried to update my CS11, but inside the CS11 ZIP file there was a CS8_60 file instead of a CS11 _60 file. So I didn’t update. Is this by mistake?

Daniel

KAWAI CS11 (sold KAWAI CA 97), KAWAI GX2 acoustic grand piano (sold SCHIMMEL acoustic upright)
OP Offline
Hello Daniel, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Yes, it seems there may be a problem with the filenames.
I will double check this point tomorrow, but it’s possible that the incorrect files were zipped and uploaded.

The CS11 will only update itself using the correct file, so there should be no risk/chance of flashing the wrong firmware. However I still recommend waiting for me to clear things up tomorrow.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
James
x

OP Offline
Hello again Daniel,

The update files should be correct now.

If you re-download the CS11_v110.zip file, but find that it still contains the CS8 firmware file, please clear your browser cache and try again.

Thanks again for bringing this matter to my attention.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission