2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
lindula Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello, my 12 year old daughter is finishing Alfred's Premier Piano Course Lessons 1 - 6. She also did each lesson's Theory, Performance, and Technique. She has been taking lessons for 6 years. Can anyone suggest another curriculum for intermediate to advanced students? My daughter enjoys classical, hymns and inspirational music pieces.

Thanks,
Joe

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Joe,
Usually students who have worked their way up and out of method books are ready to play real repertoire, and the pieces are chosen by students and teacher together.
Does she have a teacher? (Or if you're the teacher, do you feel you have a good enough grasp of the piano repertoire to guide her in her choices?)

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
L
lindula Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Heather,

Hello and thank you very much for answering my post. I am not her teacher but I want to help her reach the stars so to speak. I like the idea of using a course book and the goals of getting to the end and starting another book. I'm a little worried that the rate of progress she has achieved will slow without a course book (curriculum). I really need to speak to her teacher about my concerns. I thought if I found a possible course I could mentioned it to her teacher. I guess I need help finding a list of repertoire to start working on but I need to find what is my goal.

Comments?
Thanks,
Joe

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I think the title of this thread is a little misleading, but you cleared it up in the original post.

Alfred Premier book 6 transitions beautifully to Kuhlau Op. 55 Sonatinas and Diabelli Op. 168 Sonatinas. The easier pieces in Schumann's Album for the Young are appropriate, as are most of the Burgmuller Op. 100 studies.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
L
lindula Offline OP
OP Offline
L
AZNpiano,

Thank you very much for your comments and the suggested pieces. I have just ordered them from the web.

Joe

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I think it's best to talk to the teacher before ordering any music. Discuss your daughter's goals and yours with the teacher and see what she recommends. If things have been going well, trust her. If not, you may want to look for a teacher who is more on your page. But I would not waste money on books at this point. If she's a knowledgable teacher, she will know what to do and will be able to give you the details on what to buy.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
Consult with the teacher, encourage her, and stay out of the way!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lindula
AZNpiano,

Thank you very much for your comments and the suggested pieces. I have just ordered them from the web.

Joe

You're welcome. However, do talk to the teacher and communicate. The teacher should recommend the repertoire.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Joe, at that point, it's really up to the teacher's expertise to be choosing supplementary material as there is a vast array to choose from. I often was asked to purchase books in which I played literally one piece from. Most of them were pieces that I could use for my exams as well, so generally I had at least one piece from each major musical period, and maybe a fun book of popular or holiday music as well. It's very different from a method book where you go through pieces in stepwise fashion.

~piano teacher in training~
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by hello my name is
Hi Joe, at that point, it's really up to the teacher's expertise to be choosing supplementary material as there is a vast array to choose from. I often was asked to purchase books in which I played literally one piece from. Most of them were pieces that I could use for my exams as well, so generally I had at least one piece from each major musical period, and maybe a fun book of popular or holiday music as well. It's very different from a method book where you go through pieces in stepwise fashion.
Yes, this is the teacher's job. It might be time for a transfer to another teacher. Some teachers spend almost all their time with students who never finish Level 6, and almost don't know what to do with the student who does. I'm not intending this to be a judgement on a teacher in this situation. Perhaps he/she has done an excellent job laying solid foundations.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by musicpassion
Originally Posted by hello my name is
Yes, this is the teacher's job. It might be time for a transfer to another teacher. Some teachers spend almost all their time with students who never finish Level 6, and almost don't know what to do with the student who does. I'm not intending this to be a judgement on a teacher in this situation. Perhaps he/she has done an excellent job laying solid foundations.

I don't think there is anything in the original post that indicates the teacher is not capable of knowing what to do, and we have no idea what this has been parental behavior through grades one through six. The only information information is that we have a parent that does not rely on the teacher But no idea why not.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Joe,
Usually teachers retain a structured approach while teaching repertoire pieces too. The structure just comes from the teacher rather than from the curriculum itself. Certain things will be assigned for the student to do, and the student will (or should) clearly understand the assignments for the practice week, and then at the next lesson teacher builds on what was accomplished, takes the student farther and gives new assignments.
If you are concerned that the teacher has a lack of structure, you can raise those concerns privately with the teacher, but you shouldn't think that structure can only come from a fixed curriculum.
Eventually a less structured approach will be appropriate, but not for (most) 12-year-olds smile
cheers, Heather

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hreichgott
Hi Joe,
Usually teachers retain a structured approach while teaching repertoire pieces too. The structure just comes from the teacher rather than from the curriculum itself. Certain things will be assigned for the student to do, and the student will (or should) clearly understand the assignments for the practice week, and then at the next lesson teacher builds on what was accomplished, takes the student farther and gives new assignments.
If you are concerned that the teacher has a lack of structure, you can raise those concerns privately with the teacher, but you shouldn't think that structure can only come from a fixed curriculum.
Eventually a less structured approach will be appropriate, but not for (most) 12-year-olds smile
cheers, Heather

+1

~piano teacher in training~
L
lindula Offline OP
OP Offline
L
AZNpiano,

Hello, we have finished Burgmuller Op. 100, and will be starting the Diabelli Op. 168 Sonatinas, can you recommend any others?

Thanks,
Joe

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Again, you really should run this idea by the teacher first. I think that's what all the other posters are trying to say.

Bartok's For Children, Book 2 is very nice.

You can even suggest the Pedal Preludes by Samuil Maykapar.

Or the Op. 51 Variations by Kabalevsky

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission