Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
112 registered members (AssociateX, Beemer, accordeur, ALEXANDER DYKER, Beowulf, bennevis, Beans47, 27 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sales Confusion #2765478
09/14/18 12:13 PM
09/14/18 12:13 PM
C
choi_mama Offline OP
choi_mama  Offline OP
C

I recently ventured into the looking for an upright piano after several years of using a Casio digital. I have been saving for quite some time and hovering over this site for information. My goal is to find my piano by Christmas – despite reading up as much as I could on this site (tx- pianoworld), I left two of my three visits more confused than enlightened (one store- was very busy and I will head back next week to try their Kawais). As my own savings are complimented by family, I want to make sure I find the piano that will be the right one for me and my family.

The first store I visited is close to me. It has several used instruments and carries also Hailun pianos. The salesperson let me wander and play several instruments but once I disclosed to her that I was looking at Yamaha uprights, she opened the front covers of one of the pianos and got into explaining the differences of the Hailun piano. I took detailed notes but even after perusing this site, the Hailun webpage and google search to check on the truthfulness of what she told me, I am left to wonder. So here are my notes/questions on the Hailun upright (and the claims on Yamaha by this salesperson): What is a full perimeter plate? She said Hailun has it but Yamaha does not. She also claimed that Hailun’s plate is heavier and makes a better sound? Is that true? She also said that Hailun pianos are sturdier built and that they export the same instruments worldwide vs. Yamaha has to make for every market different pianos in order for them to be stable (She had a Yamaha in her shop and claimed that it was originally made for Japan). So is Yamaha’s plate really lighter? Do they make different pianos for each country? She also said that the Hailun upright has a duplex system and claimed that usually only grands have duplex and not uprights, and that it was important for the sound. So my question, does the Hailun upright have duplex and what does it do/ is it important to the sound? She also mentioned that Hailun has the longest warranty in the industry and it is transerable (and Yamaha’s is not) and that I could exchange the instrument if I did not like it. There were several other points that she mentioned that I did not jot down well enough.

All in all, the visit was nice but I left not sure if all these things are true or what they mean. My next stop, was the local Yamaha dealer. They had no used pianos but the store I visited had also Sauter and Hoffman pianos from Germany. There, another saleslady approached me pretty much right after entering the store. She too asked me what I had been considering and I told her that I had played and seen a Hailun and was intend to try a Kawai piano. She said that Yamaha has been around for 100 years and that the brand is much stronger (she compared it to Samsung…) and that Hailun is not a trusted brandname. She said that the Hailun is very pricey for the quality that Hailun has. And that the resale value of Hailun will be low. She offered me a silent piano to consider. She also said that before the 10 years are over they will trade up the Yamaha at the full value that I buy it for. And that is important to buy from their store which has been in business for 50 years (I do not know how long the Hailun store has been in business). She offered also 3 free tunings (at value of CAD 135 plus GST). She said that Hailun has metal keyrest that interferes with the sound and that all high quality pianos have only wooden keyrests. Only Chinese pianos make use of a metal keyrest. She also said that some parts in the Hailun piano are made of plastic? In the course of the conversation, the lady showed me actually a laminated chart in her sales folder on Hailun with 15 points to watch out for when buying Hailun which were things that customers had come and complained to her about Hailun. She mentioned, that Hailun has a three-layer soundboard- it is not a one-piece solid piece of soundboard – and that would be a problem when selling it in the future? I just don’t know enough to assess that claim– but Yamaha is, at least here in Canada, very well known. She also said that the value of the piano goes down when such a soundboard is used. She also mentioned that Chinese pianos have a bad reputation in the market and are not know for quality which I found from reading here on pianoworld is not necessarily the common opinion, and I wrote it off as her sales pitch. The Yamaha saleslady did not open the piano front as at the Hailun dealer but the store had a larger selection. Unfortunately, I did not get to play the piano that much as I was running out of time.

I will head back to the stores this weekend and try to spend more time playing the pianos rather than talking to the salespeople (including a Kawai which is on my list). If anyone has any input on my questions or can provide some perspective what the important points to consider are, what should I discard ….. will let you know how my visit to Kawai goes.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2765498
09/14/18 02:06 PM
09/14/18 02:06 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
From my experience a Yahama u1 is probably a better buy than a Hailun .I have tried the Hailun but was not much impressed by the tone .I would not buy a used Yahama piano especially made forJapan .These pianos are often worn out by over use in schools and institutions in Japan .They say that they are refirbished whatever that means ?I know they are heavily painted with polyester and so they all LOOK great ,but often have tuning problems or unequal action .You are safer with a regular Yamaha u1 or u3 made for North America .If your budget extends to being able to buy a real German piano you could try the Sauter piano.Kawai also make great pianos so you could look at that as well. Enjoy!

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2765539
09/14/18 04:56 PM
09/14/18 04:56 PM
J
joe80 Offline
2000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Oh it sounds like you've been caught in the crossfire between two dealers with competing products and so they don't have anything good to say about each other.

First of all I'll cut to the chase.

Yamaha make great pianos. They are not by any stretch of the imagination cheap, but they are high quality. They have great tone, they are reliable and they are trusted by institutions worldwide.

Hailun make great pianos. They are not quite as well-known as Yamaha. They sound different to Yamaha. Some prefer it, others don't. In this country a Feurich piano (Hailun's brand here) costs about half the price of the equivalent Japanese Yamaha. I prefer the sound and touch of the Yamaha, but that's personal. I think the Yamaha is more refined.

For you, upgrading from a digital piano, both makes are good, both are reliable, and both will last for years.

All this stuff about "Yamaha do this but Hailun don't" and "Hailun do this but Yamaha don't" is all stuff we've all heard before between competing brands. It happens at the top end too (Fazioli are good pianos but they're no Steinway, say Steinway. Steinways are OK but they're not as high quality as Fazioli, says the Fazioli dealer....).

If you like the Hailun, and are happy with it, don't pay more for the Yamaha. If you love the Yamaha and you're happy to pay for it, buy it. Either way you won't really lose.

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2765551
09/14/18 05:35 PM
09/14/18 05:35 PM
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Atlanta, GA
Oh boy. I could go point by point to clarify features/benefits of the various pianos, but it's secondary to the most important part, playing and listening.

The sales person for the Hailun presented features and benefits of the models in comparison. Some were understood and some were not, but it sounds like the presentation was kept positive.

The sales person representing the Yamaha glossed over any direct comparisons and instead used Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt to attack a competitor rather than highlighting their product. That approach can be effective in swaying a customer, but it is the opposite of helpful.

Considering how many pianos, parts & components Yamaha makes in China, how many of their instruments include laminate soundboards, there is a disconnect in what Yamaha does and what the store's salesperson was saying.

Directly comparing a Yamaha U1 to Hailun HU-1P is an interesting comparison of designs and construction. Hailun's innovations are not cost saving design changes, but do bolster the piano's performance and durability. The full perimeter plate is a good thing, but not more important than the overall performance. On that price level of piano, Hailun's surface tension or modern laminate soundboard is a good thing, but not more important than the overall performance. The fact that the Hailun has only solid or laminate wood in it, while the Yamaha U1 uses MDF for non-structural panels is a plus for Hailun, but not a game changer by itself.

You might do well to find an unbiased pianist to help you shop and keep the sales staff at arms length until you form some basic opinions about the performance.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2765552
09/14/18 05:36 PM
09/14/18 05:36 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
Another thing do not think a longer warranty means a better quality piano .Its often the opposite!

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2765579
09/14/18 08:14 PM
09/14/18 08:14 PM
Chicago Suburban
M
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member
MarkL  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Chicago Suburban
I just went through buying an acoustic piano after having a digital for years. I went to the piano stores and told them I planned to move around the store and play different pianos for a few hours every saturday when I had time, and after a month or so I'd make a decision. They pretty much left me alone then. And after about 6 weeks I bought a piano. I'd focus totally on how the piano feels and sounds to you, and forget all the other stuff. Any name brand is made well enough to serve your needs. You could also try going to your local community college or university and ask if they'll let you try their pianos. Our local community college has a few dozen pianos that I was able to try.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2765590
09/14/18 09:58 PM
09/14/18 09:58 PM
Arkansas
S
supersport Offline
500 Post Club Member
supersport  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Arkansas
Hi,

Check out a K-400 if they have one at the Kawai store as the music desk and fallboard look very nice and it is the K-300 it seems inside.

David

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2765592
09/14/18 10:22 PM
09/14/18 10:22 PM
P
Pneuma Offline
Pneuma  Offline
P

I was in your position 2 years ago. I think the consensus on this forum is that Hailun has been in the market long enough to prove its quality. You don't need to worry that a Hailun piano will break down with regular practices. Yamaha and Kawai are of course long standing and well established. They are all quality pianos especially if you buy new.

Whatever the sales persons told you, it all comes down to tone and touch. Find one that you like the tone and touch the most and you can afford. Or like someone suggested, find a trusted and experienced pianist to shop with you.

If you are worried about resale value, then the reality is Yamaha > Kawai > any Chinese brands. In case you have not read the Piano Buyer, please read it first: https://www.pianobuyer.com/

Last edited by Pneuma; 09/14/18 10:23 PM.
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: MarkL] #2765601
09/15/18 01:15 AM
09/15/18 01:15 AM
Kuwait
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Kuwait
Originally Posted by MarkL
I just went through buying an acoustic piano after having a digital for years. I went to the piano stores and told them I planned to move around the store and play different pianos for a few hours every saturday when I had time, and after a month or so I'd make a decision. They pretty much left me alone then. And after about 6 weeks I bought a piano. I'd focus totally on how the piano feels and sounds to you, and forget all the other stuff. Any name brand is made well enough to serve your needs. You could also try going to your local community college or university and ask if they'll let you try their pianos. Our local community college has a few dozen pianos that I was able to try.

A little anecdote.

I have two friends who are brothers and retail locksmiths. I was once in their shop when one of them showed me a particular part of a UPVC door locking system. He told me that the manufacturer guarantees to replace the part, free of charge, should it fail in use. I said that that showed confidence in their product. His reply has stayed with me:

"No. They are such total **** that without that guarantee, nobody would use them".

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2765784
09/15/18 10:20 PM
09/15/18 10:20 PM
Toronto, Ontario
P
Peter K. Mose Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peter K. Mose  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P

Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Oh boy. I could go point by point to clarify features/benefits of the various pianos, but it's secondary to the most important part, playing and listening.

The sales person for the Hailun presented features and benefits of the models in comparison. Some were understood and some were not, but it sounds like the presentation was kept positive.

I love Sam's "Oh boy" opening, because that was in my head also. But this hardly sounds like a positive Hailun sales presentation to me, instead an adolescent damning of rival Yamaha. At least, that is what I would take away as a piano shopper. No wonder first-time poster Choi (welcome!) is confused, and looks forward to avoiding sales staff in the future. I'd be the same.

If I were that Hailun salesperson, I would simply say, "Please sit down and play your heart out on these Hailuns. Or let me play a few of them for you. Then by all means try some Yamahas, since they are clearly also fine instruments. Come back to our store as many times as you wish. We are very proud of these instruments, and trust that they sell themselves. I'm happy to spout technical specs, or snow you with Hailun marketing lines, because that is what piano salespeople often do. But I'd prefer that you just make yourself at home, and let me know if you have any questions."

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2766525
09/19/18 06:14 PM
09/19/18 06:14 PM
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Atlanta, GA
I'll speak a little more in this thread because there is more than a little bit of dismissive language being used. There are differences in the models that contribute to the value. There are differences in the presentations even with the modest details from the OP. There is a difference in the warranty and guarantee.

I'd like to quickly state that in my dealings with Yamaha, I've always found their company staff to be very professional and careful to promote their products, not undermine competition. This is not true of all companies nor sales staff at the dealer level. We ain't perfect.

Hailun does use a full perimeter plate in the popular HU-1P and HU-5P models as well as some of the less common 52" models. It is heavier. It's purpose is to be a completely rigid structure in the corner of the upright frame where most plates stop. In fact, on the lower-priced Hailun model 121, it has a more typical plate that does not extend to the lower corners of the piano.

Extra rigidity in the frame contributes to increased dynamic range, tuning stability, and overall longevity especially in less-than-ideal environments.

Hailun uprights have modern laminate soundboards (all spruce with solid spruce core). The clear benefit is greater resistance to environmental variations over a solid spruce. *While the highest quality solid spruce boards offer performance benefit (tone, color, dynamic range), the mid-grade solid spruce soundboards that are found in any mass produced upright DO NOT offer any of these performance benefits over the equivalent modern laminate soundboard. In an ideal environment, the soundboard on the Hailun and Yamaha upright will perform comparably. In a less than ideal environment, the advantage goes to the Hailun soundboard.

Yamaha's warranty is 10 years. Hailun's is 15 years + transferable. Hailun also offers "Dream Assurance" guarantee, separate from the warranty.

I will state that for several years now, Yamaha's model U1 has probably the highest resale value of any piano brand and model, but that same resale % is far less for other models from the brand. The B-series, M-series, etc. have resale values that are comparable to many less famous competitors. And while the U3 has long-term resale value that is well above average, the initial depreciation is steep as are other competitors in the first 5-8 years. The transferable warranty on the Hailun helps resale value by lasting beyond the initial depreciation.

I mentioned before that in the Hailun HU-1P and HU-5P, there is no MDF or fiberboard. The hardware used inside the piano is higher grade. They use agraffes in the bass and other upgraded string terminations in the tenor and treble. The keybed is cast aluminum instead of laminate. The strings are nickel plated for additional resistance to corrosion. These are upgrades, not marketing fluff, and these are not the only differences.

I would support the idea that the Hailun salesperson was trying to relate this information while the competitor was attacking with "fake news". It's always tempting to leave high ground to join the scrum. The result is a piano of greater musical potential at a competitive cost. This is the essence of competition. Yamaha was once the hunter and faced so many cheap shots, and now they are the hunted.

Improved features should equate to a tangible improvement in performance, and the dealer prep is the last opportunity to show each instrument in it's best light. That is when your senses, your personal preferences should be allowed to take over. Both are good, very viable choices.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2766614
09/20/18 07:24 AM
09/20/18 07:24 AM
Australia
UnderConstruction Offline
UnderConstruction  Offline

Australia
Thought I might chime in here with my two cents as an x-Yamaha grand owner who switched to a Feurich grand (Hailun made) piano. I know these are grands and not uprights, but hey, we're talking manufacturers now right? smile

Short of it is that I am constantly amazed by the sound and touch of my Feurich 218. I travel a lot for work, and every time I get back home and lay my fingers on the keys to play a few notes, my ears thank me for buying the instrument, and my brain thanks me for not over paying. I often doubt myself as to whether this is just me fooling myself into thinking that I made the right choice, since I grew up with a Yamaha grand as well. So to test that, I occasionally go into a shop and play a Yamaha CX series grand, and so far, I am still really happy with the choice I made.

While I get that this is not exactly the same as comparing uprights, what is the same is that it really comes down to how you like the sound and the touch like others have suggested already. I am planning to keep my Feurich (after going through several digitals, then to a Yamaha grand, then now the Feurich) for the long term, so I really wasn't fussed about resale, as resale value in the piano industry is mostly based on the general public's perception of a brand. From what I hear, Hailun is quickly making its mark among pianists and technicians in recent years, and I can understand why, they are well built pianos. I also know that the very reputable Cunningham Pianos are partnering with Hailun in their own line up of Cunningham Grands.

Besides brand, and quality, the other thing that would be important to me if I were buying an upright would be the speed of repetition. Depending on what you play, for me speed of repetition of a piano is very important. I know that the Yamahas / Kawai's all use the same design that they have used for many many years, and on uprights, this generally means not particularly fast repetition. Yes, you can regulate them to have faster repetition, but it takes a lot of work to keep it that way. I actually currently own a Kawai upright K-300 (I know... a bit much smile ), and while I think its a fantastic sounding upright (but sounds very different to the Feurich), the repetition is just not quite there. Feurich uprights has some modern design which allows it to repeat virtually as fast as grand pianos, I tried this out myself and it really does work. What I am not sure about is whether this repetition mechanism is actually in the Hailun uprights?

All the technical stuff from the Hailun dealer is probably true, but duplex scaling doesn't necessarily make a piano sound better, some of the world's most beautiful sounding Boesendorfers doesn't have duplex scale. Duplex scale is just a way of creating and emphasizing certain overtones and building that into the design of the piano, but pianos without duplex scale will also produce overtones. My Feurich 218 in fact has "triplex scale" on certain registers, but I actually disliked the overtone of a certain section so much that I muted it because it sounded more like noise to me. The thing about heavier plates (the whole wet cast vs vacuum molded) has some truth to it, but mostly because wet cast plates generally needs to be thicker than vacuum molded plates, and when you have thicker plates, they tend to vibrate less freely with the sound the piano is producing, which allows the designer to have better control over the tonal qualities of the piano. If you are interested in the technical side of the piano, there is a good article to read about technical talk in piano sales, which is here.

End of the day, I'd say you'll have to find the balance between the three important things:
- Sound;
- Touch;
- Price;

I'd ignore the sales pitch (which sounds like you have been fed by both the Hailun dealer and also the Yamaha lady, and I probably would have been put off by the negative sales pitch of the Yamaha dealer) and sales pressure. I am pretty sure modern day new pianos made by Yamaha, Kawai and Hailun are all of solid quality, so would just ignore the technical talk, just play, listen, feel, play, listen, feel and repeat. Enjoy the buying journey, the piano will always be there, you only get to spend this money once.

My two cents.

Last edited by UnderConstruction; 09/20/18 07:26 AM.

Still deciding whether I am playing for fun or playing to improve... leaning towards fun :-)
2017 Feurich 218
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2766640
09/20/18 10:24 AM
09/20/18 10:24 AM
Wisconsin, USA
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lakeviewsteve  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Wisconsin, USA
Yes go back to more stores and write all about each one and your thoughts on each piano. Thank you.

Bösendorfer 170
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: Lady Bird] #2766657
09/20/18 11:21 AM
09/20/18 11:21 AM
The Heart of Screenland
K
KurtZ Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KurtZ  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

The Heart of Screenland
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Another thing do not think a longer warranty means a better quality piano .Its often the opposite!

As someone who has been in electronics repair for close on to 30 some years, this is frequently true. Not always but frequently. Why? Well, in electronics, repair is cheaper than QC. Since we're on pianos, I'll point out a shining exception. Kawai has a long and transferable warranty and they make excellent high quality products that they stand behind both in electronics and pianos.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2766700
09/20/18 02:35 PM
09/20/18 02:35 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
Don,t know where the Choi mama has gone !

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2767412
09/24/18 04:02 PM
09/24/18 04:02 PM
C
choi_mama Offline OP
choi_mama  Offline OP
C

Thank you all for your input. I did have the chance to go back the previous and this last weekend to play some more instruments. I was also in a better position and researched the brands in more detail online. In my first round, I tried to take written notes but I even forgot to jot down the models they were showing me. These last visits were a little more structured…

So the previous week, I visited the Kawai dealership. The visit was very pleasant and the store was very, very nice and impressive. I got to play also a Bosendorfer grand piano (200?) which was are real treat. I then settled on trying out a Kawai 500. I also took my notes from my previous two visits and shared the statements by the other stores to get his take. He told me right from the beginning that Kawai builds pianos in Japan and also entry level instruments in Indonesia. And so does Yamaha. He seemed not surpised when I told him that the Yamaha store has a laminated “concern” sheet for Hailun and said that they also have one for Kawai “complaints”. The visit to the Kawai dealer was very pleasant. There was no pressure and I felt I could ask open questions and they were not defensive- even when I mentioned another brand.

The Kawai 500 has a lush sound and was very different from two Yamaha’s I tried out this last Saturday. I went back to another Yamaha store (part of the same chain) and tried a Yamaha P22 and a U1. To my ear the Yamaha sound is much brighter.

I appreciate also the input from Sam Bennett (I just sent you a pm) and underscore. All pianos look pretty much the same. For me it is worthwhile to understand what the real differences are between brands (if there is really any). I also found that there is definitely a difference in how stores approach selling them. The Hailun sales experience was the most nuts’n bolts approach which I actually really liked. It was a little confusing at the beginning for me but the most informational visit about piano building details. The Yamaha approach was mostly about Yamaha is Yamaha (long standing company,…) and little in actual product information. The Kawai salesman and store experience seemed the most relaxed and open.

I also saw a used Schimmel upright that I really liked – my goal is to make my limited money buy the best I can get…and for that I will revisit the pianos with a family friend who plays semi-professionally as I do want a second opinion by someone who plays much better than me, and can arrive at a better decision.

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2767422
09/24/18 04:51 PM
09/24/18 04:51 PM
J
Jack Knuckle Offline
Jack Knuckle  Offline
J

I share your pain having been looking for a piano for over a year before finding my dream. I visited quite a number of showrooms (and ended up buying from a private vendor on a well known auction website but that's another story).

Yes it can seem very confusing when people try to bamboozle you with facts about why one piano is better or worse than another. I mean, how can Yamaha be any good if their cheaper range are built in Indonesia and contain MDF? And why would a cheap brand like Hailun try to upsell themselves by not using MDF, or having a heavier plate?

If you have a budget in mind and time to kill but aren't sure how to spend it then visit as many pianos as you can, new and second hand to get the feel and sound of different brands and different sizes within the same brand. No two pianos are identical and whilst a piano can be adjusted somewhat to your taste, it's better to start with something that feels just right rather than buy something way off and attempt to explain to a technician how you want it adjusting to.

Hailun may be Chinese, but they make pianos for Bechstein (under the ZImmerman label), Feurich and various other celebrated companies contract them to build pianos for them too, implying a degree of confidence in the product. Indeed they sell in Europe under the brand name Hailun too, one of very few Chinese companies to sell outside China under a Chinese name which tells you something. I suspect the lady in the Yamaha showroom, had she been working there thirty years ago, would have said the same of Yamaha ("they are built in Japan, how can you expect a far Eastern factory to build to the same standards as the US or Germany".)

Finally, have you considered a grand piano? Not wishing to confuse, and they take up a lot more space of course, but the feel is different and many would say slightly improved above a good upright. Budget may not permit something half decent (I'd be looking at budgeting GB£10k+ for getting into really good but still relatively affordable territory. I nearly went for a new Feurich, but ended up buying, for the same price, a 120 year old rebuilt Bechstein V (with restring and rebuilt action so effectively a new piano in an old case). If on a tight budget it's still possible but you have to be prepared to shop around a lot.

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2767449
09/24/18 08:18 PM
09/24/18 08:18 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
As far as I know a new U1 is as good as it ever was .It might have a bright tone that's just taste ,but it's a workhorse .In 15 years you will still have the same piano.The Hailun is the new kid on the block .As for Kawai you can rely them to last like Yamaha ,20,30,and even 40 years years with tuning and occasional regulation .When I played the K300 and k500 never liked it .I preferred the Boston but was worried if they still had problems in maintaining thier tuning .I know Kawai make really great grand pianos .Maybe You have found your brand and Hailun is for you .Who knows it may last as long as a U1 .Yes Japan is one of the country's like Germany and USA who have been making successful pianos a long time !

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2767451
09/24/18 08:29 PM
09/24/18 08:29 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
I thought I would mention I am not involved in the piano sales industry at all .I have just told my experiences because I recently went through the same process as you in buying a new piano .

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/24/18 08:30 PM.
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: Lady Bird] #2767469
09/24/18 10:59 PM
09/24/18 10:59 PM
S
Sander2009 Offline
Sander2009  Offline
S

Oh yes you are... by the sound of it you work for Tom Lee... Lady bird, and you certainly don't sound like a lady. it's clear as day light. We are not stupid my friend. I have been down this road and forum. Hiding yourself and fishing in the dark. Trying to promote one model and your knowledge is impeccable of all pianos in the market. At the same time you are going against Hailun just because you like the sharp sound of Yamaha that hurts ears more!! it's like saying Steak is better than chicken because you personally like the taste of chicken! It's clear to me that you are promoting U1!! lol... A piano will be better in quality based on parts not just your own personal taste!! Perhaps you guys have an over stock on U1... lol so funny. I can't stop laughing while reading your replies.

Last edited by Sander2009; 09/24/18 11:08 PM.
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2767477
09/25/18 01:34 AM
09/25/18 01:34 AM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
Have you a bitter taste in your mouth or just plain bitter ? Ready to project your paranoid delusions ? You can look after your chinese piano wires and plywood sound boards from now on your own.I believe this whole thread a set up by Hailun .A waist of lumber as far as I am concerned. What a joke !!! Oh my ,an employee for TOM LEE ? Ha ,Ha Ha.

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: Lady Bird] #2767501
09/25/18 05:30 AM
09/25/18 05:30 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
I
Have you a bitter taste in your mouth or just plain bitter ? Ready to project your paranoid delusions ? You can look after your chinese piano wires and plywood sound boards from now on your own.I believe this whole thread a set up by Hailun .A waist of lumber as far as I am concerned. What a joke !!! Oh my ,an employee for TOM LEE ? Ha ,Ha Ha.

Maybe you should do some reading about Hailun pianos, not just from owners and dealers but from those that evaluate piano quality so you will have more of a current, informed opinion

You can start here:

https://www.pianobuyer.com/Resources/Piano-Brands-Profiles/Detail/ArticleId/74/Brand/HAILUN

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2767508
09/25/18 06:51 AM
09/25/18 06:51 AM
North Tx
D
dhull100 Offline
Platinum Subscriber
dhull100  Offline
Platinum Subscriber
D

North Tx
Also consider that you are buying the dealer (for any warranty issues) along with the piano. I'm not saying that should trump the piano at all, but that is something to consider.

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: Lady Bird] #2767516
09/25/18 07:23 AM
09/25/18 07:23 AM
P
Piano90X Offline
Piano90X  Offline
P

I believe this whole thread a set up by Hailun.

I wasn't going to say anything, but that's what I was thinking as well.

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: Piano90X] #2767536
09/25/18 09:00 AM
09/25/18 09:00 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
Originally Posted by Piano90X
I believe this whole thread a set up by Hailun.

I wasn't going to say anything, but that's what I was thinking as well.

Can’t a new member ask for help without the conspiracy theorists coming out of the bushes???? For Pete’s sake, just don’t reply rather than risk running off someone new.

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2767545
09/25/18 10:26 AM
09/25/18 10:26 AM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
This is a waist of time! Just because you reccomend U1 you get called a liar ,a secret employer for a mega dealer.I must say talk about conspiracy theorists !when It is just common knowledge that the U1 is the most reffered to upright around ! Being a music teacher I am typical in recomending Yamaha U1 .So why the vicious attack out of the blue by someone called Sander2009 . It was the dealer above who sells Hailun who said they had plywood soundboards .What I do not understand is ,where Hailun raises raises it's STRANGE HEAD there is often trouble on this forum .A few months ago the FIGHT between the Hailun distruiber and a number of dealers was sick ! It ended up with people calling each other criminals .So go figure !?! That's right I remember it was about the 30%price raise ? I was in the middle of the process of buying a new piano .Hailun just wants to be up there next to Kawai and Yahama s Japanese made pianos.,well sorry but it is not !!!!!

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2767554
09/25/18 11:05 AM
09/25/18 11:05 AM
Danville, California
F
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Furtwangler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F

Danville, California
[Linked Image]

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: Lady Bird] #2767559
09/25/18 11:31 AM
09/25/18 11:31 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
It was the dealer above who sells Hailun who said they had plywood soundboards .

Specifically, the "dealer above" stated.....

"Hailun uprights have modern laminate soundboards (all spruce with solid spruce core). The clear benefit is greater resistance to environmental variations over a solid spruce. *While the highest quality solid spruce boards offer performance benefit (tone, color, dynamic range), the mid-grade solid spruce soundboards that are found in any mass produced upright DO NOT offer any of these performance benefits over the equivalent modern laminate soundboard. In an ideal environment, the soundboard on the Hailun and Yamaha upright will perform comparably. In a less than ideal environment, the advantage goes to the Hailun soundboard."

Doesn't appear to be the same "plywood" I purchase at my local home improvement store. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2767568
09/25/18 12:04 PM
09/25/18 12:04 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
The op can decide ! Are you a secret agent from my home improvement store who eats steak ?

Re: Sales Confusion [Re: choi_mama] #2767569
09/25/18 12:10 PM
09/25/18 12:10 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
Really !steak and chicken so overated !!!!!!?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Yamaha P-515 arrived
by lorez. 11/16/18 08:01 AM
Acoustic piano purchass
by Islanderguy. 11/16/18 06:22 AM
Jazz and hearing loss
by Beans47. 11/16/18 05:55 AM
Georgia on My Mind - Jazz Piano Cover
by BB666. 11/16/18 02:50 AM
1890s Chickering
by Retsacnal. 11/16/18 12:41 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,359
Posts2,761,662
Members91,495
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission