2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
First D1 price I've seen so far in US: $629.99. It will probably average out at $599 in a couple months. IMO I think this is a very good deal considering its sounds, gig simplicity, and mostly Korg's RH3 action same in the Grandstage and Kronos.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1413228-REG/korg_d1_digital_stage_piano_with.html

The description says it has "1/4" / 6.3 mm damper pedal input (half-pedaling supported)" and the site separately lists a $49 'professional' half-pedaling pedal as an accessory. So it seems possible the included pedal - as we see with Roland's lower-priced offerings - is a plastic sustain-brick and you need to pay more for a better pedal.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Yes, very few stage pianos come with a 1/2 damper pedal. But many accept one. They have to keep the price point somehow. And if you think about it if all of Korg's offerings came with one, they would eat into the sales of the pedal. Its not that expensive to add one.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
$600 for an RH3 action keyboard is pretty darned sweet, I have to say. I spent some time on an SV1 back a couple of years ago and generally liked it.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Originally Posted by Kbeaumont
Yes, very few stage pianos come with a 1/2 damper pedal. But many accept one. They have to keep the price point somehow.

Well, Kawai figured out for their least expensive DPs when no one else did, then. smile

at 35 lbs. probably the best combination of price and weight for what some consider a high end action!?
have not had the opportunity to try the rh3 action yet myself.

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
First D1 price I've seen so far in US: $629.99. It will probably average out at $599 in a couple months. IMO I think this is a very good deal considering its sounds, gig simplicity, and mostly Korg's RH3 action same in the Grandstage and Kronos.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your post, however I don't believe the D1 uses the same sounds as the Grandstage or Kronos.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your post, however I don't believe the D1 uses the same sounds as the Grandstage or Kronos.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hi James, I only meant "RH3 action". I'm not sure what Korg is using for the piano engine on the D1. Could be the same piano default as Kronos and Grandstage?? ... IDK. I was just pointing out that it was a decent price for Korg's high-end action and ease of use if gigging it. Also, the demo sounds seemed very good - all at a good price. BUT let me be clear that my opinion is purely based on specs, price, and Youtube demos. I haven't seen or touched a D1, but I have touched RH3 action many times and like it. However, I should know better before posting opinions without demoing an actual D1.

The reason I think I like the D1 is somewhat personal taste as it slightly reminds me of the discontinued Yamaha CP33. I've mentioned in previous post that I loved the CP33 because of its simplicity, sound, workhorse design, and just fun to play. I guess I'm thinking that Korg might have have acknowledged that classic board when designing the D1 and made it even better perhaps. Again, I need to play it before I comment on it any further.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 06/06/18 09:54 PM. Reason: typos
Thank you for the clarification Marko.

I largely agree with your post, especially about the fondly-remembered CP33. However, I disagree that anyone necessarily needs to play an instrument before being allowed to comment about it. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I would advise anyone considering the D1 to play it first, or at least get it from somewhere that has a good returns policy. I would say that about any digital piano of course.

Firstly, I would seriously doubt the sound engine has any connection with the Kronos or Grandstage.

A better guess is that it is related to the G1 (which I have) and/or C1 (which I've never played but which I imagine to be a somewhat cut-down version of the G1). The G1 is their flagship home piano, with supposedly new (and more) piano sounds. Whilst to me it makes sense that the D1 is related to G1 I would sincerely hope that is not the case for those interested in the D1.....

Most of the basic piano tones on the G1 are nice. There are three variations each of three distinctly different pianos (German, Austrian, Japanese). I think C1 has German and Japanese but omits the Austrian. I don't know how Korg are describing the D1's pianos.

I really like the RH3 action; it's the best feature of the G1. It's not in Kawai's league, or even Roland PHA-50, but it is very nice nonetheless.

Sounds:

The 'Austrian Grand' sounds very nice indeed but plays a little too boldly at low velocities; you just can't play it quietly enough in my opinion.

The 'Japanese Grand' is, for me anyway, just not a sound that I would ever use. Frankly I think that Korg's idea of a Japanese Grand is just plain awful; thin and unpleasant. If you are expecting a fat, ballsy, musical Yamaha sound then you are going to be seriously disappointed.

The 'German Grand' is the best, most versatile, sound on the Korg, in my opinion.

However, I think ALL the Korg's pianos have a serious dynamics problem. To explain: I think there are about four velocity layers in the piano sounds. No blending or interpolation that I can make out. And the mezzo forte layer (for want of a better term) is the issue. There is no tonal or even perceptible volume change at this layer. You can play it and try to inject some dynamics but it is completely static until you play a tad harder and trigger the top layer sample and then all the pianos transition instantly into the high velocity sample layer in a very jarring way. Listening does not reveal this characteristic, only playing will do that and then it becomes very clear to the player that the piano does not have a linear response to what you, the player, is doing. For me that is the basic purpose of a piano and the Korg fails.

Cards on the table: for me any Korg that has the same sound engine and/or velocity map of the G1 is borderline unplayable. There. Blunt as that may seem, I've said it. Approach these Korgs with caution.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

The reason I think I like the D1 is somewhat personal taste as it slightly reminds me of the discontinued Yamaha CP33. I've mentioned in previous post that I loved the CP33 because of its simplicity, sound, workhorse design, and just fun to play.

That's how I feel about the RH3 and GH and Ivory-Feel actions. They're not the best out there, but are strong, time-tested dp actions that play fine, and imo you can do a lot worse than be "stuck with” any one of these, especially in the budget class.

ESS, have you played the SV1? I don't recall it having limited dynamics/velocity matters as you describe (so it may have a different engine than the G1). But I did sit down at an old Kurzweil CUP2 a few times and quickly noticed exactly what you were talking about, especially in the pp-p transition: immediate, jarring, and just takes you out of the moment.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Gombessa
ESS, have you played the SV1? I don't recall it having limited dynamics/velocity matters as you describe (so it may have a different engine than the G1). But I did sit down at an old Kurzweil CUP2 a few times and quickly noticed exactly what you were talking about, especially in the pp-p transition: immediate, jarring, and just takes you out of the moment.

It's heartbreaking on the G1 because in other respects it's a decent thing. I bought mine sight unseen direct from Korg at a substantial discount because it was very slightly damaged on the 'lid' (for want of a better word). I took a chance and it hasn't paid off. I've asked friends if their kids want to take up piano and, if so, I'd just give it away to them. No takers yet - so it languishes under my bed, lying right next to my RD-1000.

I have briefly played the SV1 quite some time ago. I don't remember jarring sample layer switching but I do remember very short sustain and uneven key spacings but they were at regular intervals along the keyboard - something I'd noticed on lots of Korgs. Aesthetically that would bug me badly so I moved on. I've glanced at Korgs more recently and they seem to have sorted to key spacing issue. And they released another 'sound pack' for the SV1, didn't they? I think that addressed shortcomings in the piano sounds, most specifically the decay.

P
P
My review on the Korg D1:

PianoManChuck's Korg D1 Review

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
L
L
Hi guys, I don’t post comments but keep up with relevant postings and more of a follower of what’s up with piano vst technology but as every couple of years I have to upgrade the slab.
Bought the D1 two months ago and it’s my first time with a Korg and I go way back when the Rhodes suitcase was for years my workhorse and have tried many other slabs through the changes of this world of portability and technology. In the past 20 years I have only had one Yamaha and have stayed with Casio and had three starting with the 100 right when Radio Shack was selling it and I still have it and it’s brand new in condition. Have kept my vst setup with a 350. My experience has been more than satisfying concerning touch but wanted a new experience since the Korg overall through the years have made changes. My points are 1. It is portable but a few pounds heavier for what it is not having 2. speakers, well I don’ need them in comparing low volume output as with Casio. Not good for rehearsing when your surrounded with musicians that are deaf. Surely I’ll have to haul a speaker but I can avoid complaints of not being heard. 3. Carrying case is another subject. Hard or soft, heavy or light, keep in mind plastic cracks and the Korg D1 has thick mdf and this is a plus for protection for any accidental turn around a door. 4 Piano 1 has a wider and deeper sound than Poano 2 which is brighter and going out stereo with two speakers is good enough. One of the electric piano sounds has an incredible phase bouncing left and right. The Other sounds onboard are just the most common one found for use in different styles as with any other keyboard brand. My main issue here is as with the majority of musicians in a band or orchestra that they don’t have a clue between any of the differences in sound quality of any brand or the quality of a piano vst. They do not aurally discriminate that I’m using a good sounding piano. So for me with this new Korg I’ll set up, play the gig, pack up and done with the gig. And horrray, my fellow musicians heard a piano. The D1 is a fast solution for getting the job done. For my own satisfaction at home I’ll enjoy my vst station setup and sorry for my musician friends that do not know how a good piano should sound.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Keyboard Magazine just did a brief review of D1:

https://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/review-korg-d1-digital-piano

P
P
Is Kawai action RHIII (MP7SE, ES8, CN25, CN35, CN27, CN37) the same as Korg action RHIII? Does anybody know?

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by PWTim
Is Kawai action RHIII (MP7SE, ES8, CN25, CN35, CN27, CN37) the same as Korg action RHIII? Does anybody know?

No, they are completely unrelated.

P
P
Thanks.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The pricing is extremely tempting - I just saw it for 510 euros (+50e for a half-pedal). If I ever have to move and go for a cheaper/more portable setup for a short/medium-term living situation in a different city, this will be a top contender for a VST usage.

C
C
Hi first post ..It will be a likely purchase for me . Forward thinking .. . With the D1 would the Keybed be the same as high end but the electronics be nutured? Opens up the possibility of modders or upgradeable components?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by CamH
With the D1 would the Keybed be the same as high end but the electronics be nutured?
Yes, with the caveat that Korg's high end action is not as sophisticated as some other brands' high end actions.
Originally Posted by CamH
Opens up the possibility of modders or upgradeable components?

For all intents and purposes, the only way to upgrade it is to use it to drive a VST (computer) piano (which can be done with any MIDI keyboard). If that's your plan, then just find the action you like best within your budget.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission