2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2765430 09/14/18 10:25 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I'm not sure if I can put my problem clearly because I'm technical very ignorant but here goes. For the type of romantic pop light classic I play I prefer a very mellow sound. Neither my DGX 620 or my F P 30 give me quite what I want, but the classic and stereo mellow sound on my Casio 220 come closest, but the sustain on the Casio is hopeless. I don't want to spend a lot of money on pianoteq or similiar vst partly because our exchange rate is now about 15 to 1.I have downloaded some of the free plugins but when I try to open them I get a message saying I am trying to do something which I cannot follow . It says something about needing a .dll file. I spoke to a tech who knows nothing about digital pianos or music and he said I needed a program on which the vst could work.Can anyone help me to step by step sort this out? By the way Jonkyplonky I have just seen your post on the Salamander which is one I have not tried but maybe you could advise me on this.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
If the Cássio has midi sockets (all the keyboards apart from children's toys that I've come across from 1986 onwards do) then you can simply play your best keyboard, with a cable plugged into its midi out, linked to the Casio's midi in, and the sounds you want will play on the Casio.....this was the original and most basic reason for having midi in the first place.

That is by far the quickest, easiest and cheapest solution: all you need is a midi cable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...f-9496-229032eee41c&pf_rd_i=11973431

Otherwise, you need a host in which a player can work. Some VST themselves are hosts as well as players (Pianoteq, for example) and others are platforms for hundreds of their own and other third party instruments (Kontakt, for example). They can work as standalone players without a DAW (digital audio workstation)

But a good overall host and virtual system will allow you to do everything: a DAW like Reaper is free to download and demo: https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Toddy for your quick reply. All my instruments only have a USB socket which I use for midi with a standard printer cable, but none of them have the USB socket which the computer has, but are you saying that if I could run a cable from my FP to my Casio I would get the sound of the Roland on my Casio?.I have Reaper on my desktop which I sometimes use but how would I get one of the free plug ins to work in Reaper?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Jack. First, midi sockets: if your keyboards don't have those, that means you can't do what I was suggesting: you'd need extra conversion equipment and it's just not worth the trouble. (Great pity that piano makers have recently stopped putting midi ports on their instruments: makes things much more complicated and causes noise problems etc).

So if you've got reaper, just download Pianoteq demo, it's free, and Native Instruments Kontakt Player - I think it's free, and it supports some pianos, though many others only work with the expensive Kontakt 5 (or now 6) platform.

DLL s are the software devices that allow VST instruments to work within a larger platform. Usually, they are located in the Steinberg file in Program Files and Reaper finds the automatically.......if you're lucky smile. Good luck!

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Use a USB printer cable.
The end with square cross-section (the printer end) plugs into the piano.
The end with the "usual" rectangular cross-section plugs into the PC.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jack Gately
how would I get one of the free plug ins to work in Reaper?

* note - some VST instruments require a host program - e.g. Reaper, while other VSTs give you the option to run them in stand-alone mode - for example Pianoteq or Lounge Lizard.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You lack some precision : which software ? Which error ?

Most virtual pianos comes in two format : a VST plugin (a DLL which follows Steinberg API), and a standalone (an exe file ready to launch).

-

About Salamander, you need to load it in Sforzando which is free too, but I don’t remember if it comes in standalone mode.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 09/14/18 12:23 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Frédéric L

About Salamander, you need to load it in Sforzando which is free too, but I don’t remember if it comes in standalone mode.

It works as a standalone, yes. And also, of course as a VST - it downloads with a dll file which works in Reaper.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission