Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
72 registered members (Chernobieff Piano, anotherscott, anamnesis, AWilley, Agent88, 19 invisible), 1,383 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Insecurities with expressive playing #2765156
09/13/18 09:43 AM
09/13/18 09:43 AM
Twin cities MN US
pianosuzemn Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
pianosuzemn  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
Twin cities MN US
Hello. I am an advanced beginner-to-intermediate level player (RCM 7-ish) but I am so insecure at my lessons and also even just while practicing at home. Last week my teacher--who is excellent but not good at picking up on my emotions--said that one of my pieces was "dry as dust" and that I need to put more into it with dynamics, phrasing, ritardando, rubato, etc. Then she showed me how she would play it. I completely understand what she's saying and I think I know HOW to do it but I'm so insecure about performing or even practicing with feeling and expression. Somewhere along the way I have picked up a message that only "real" pianists get to play with expression and that I'm not good enough to be doing this. It's almost like an imposter syndrome and that I'm sorry of just faking it. Like I think someone will laugh at me if I play anything with dynamics or expressiveness. I think I have to just force myself to do it and it will get easier but it's really taking a toll. It's hit a nerve---like I am just not good at it and who do I think I am that I can go around playing with emotion...I know this forum is not a therapy session but this whole thing has just come up and thrown me for a loop. I don't think my teacher will understand any of what I'm saying. She's very practical and straight forward, without good skills in connecting with other people's emotions. Has anyone else dealt with this type of insecurity and how?
Thank you!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765158
09/13/18 09:59 AM
09/13/18 09:59 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B
I've definitely experienced something similar.
A tip from my teacher was to try really exaggerating it - use all the tools and use them far in excess of what I thought I should. That helped me to lose my self consciousness about it, because I wasn't taking myself seriously doing it and thus didn't have the fear of sounding a bit ridiculous.
Then he worked with me to ratchet it back down to a sensible level. He pointed out that while some of what I was doing *was* very exaggerated and needed to be toned down a good bit, other aspects really weren't very OTT at all.
I'd say I still err on the side of boring (and I am teacher-less right now which doesn't help), but I find doing something like this helps.

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765167
09/13/18 10:43 AM
09/13/18 10:43 AM
L
Learux Offline
Learux  Offline
L
I would start with easier pieces and practice dynamics and articulation. My experience with harder pieces, the brain is hanging in there trying to just play the notes correctly. Very little CPU power left for making it sound pretty.

Try Burgmuller Op:100 25 easy and Progressive studies.

Mostly one page pieces that you cam learn very quick and practice playing pretty on.

Have fun

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765172
09/13/18 11:04 AM
09/13/18 11:04 AM
Pacific Northwest
P
PianogrlNW Online content
500 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P
Pacific Northwest
Does your teacher provide you with the skills to be able to play more expressively? Does she teach phrasing, articulation, dynamics, and hand and arm movement? Or does she simply play the piece you are working on her way and ask you to imitate it? If she doesn’t provide you with the skills to play expressively then you are pretty much on your own to try and figure it out.

Maybe you can think about playing in terms of interpretation rather than with emotion. That way your playing is not about you but about the piece of music. Think about what the mood and character of the piece is and how to capture that quality in your playing.

It is hard to tell from your post what level you are playing at and how much technique you should have at this point. You say you are an advanced beginner - intermediate pianist which is not what RCM 7 is. That is more of a late intermediate level starting to work on early advanced repertoire.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765191
09/13/18 11:57 AM
09/13/18 11:57 AM
Twin cities MN US
pianosuzemn Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
pianosuzemn  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
Twin cities MN US
Thank you so much! I will try all of the suggestions so far. It's possible that I am selling myself short again by saying that I am advanced beginner--early intermediate. I am playing from the Celebration Series book 7 without difficulty (except for the expressiveness). I love Bach and am working on the French Suites and a few of the WTC book 1 preludes and fugues but the fugues are really really hard for me. But I love them so I keep at it!

My teacher doesn't do a great job of helping me to learn the HOW of the expressiveness. I do love the idea of thinking about it as expression rather than emotion. That will help. And I'll try the burgmuller pieces and I'll also try to over exaggerate to try to break through the self consciousness.
Thanks again everyone!

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765202
09/13/18 12:18 PM
09/13/18 12:18 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Florida
Play some easier music where expressiveness is essential and record yourself. It does need to be classical but something expressive. Listen critically to determine the expressiveness you need. Take detailed notes such as ‘measure three, the melody and accompaniment are not balanced. The melody needs to be more prominent.’

Do you have the technique to make the needed changes you hear? If not, take the recording and your notes to your teacher for instruction

As suggested to you last fall, recording yourself in an invaluable tool.

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765220
09/13/18 01:09 PM
09/13/18 01:09 PM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
500 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Moscow, Russia
Bach is not about expressiveness. You need to play more of romantic music to boost your expressiveness, or, even better, play some modern tunes that are highly emotional and that touch your soul most deeply.

Concerning psychological aspect (I'm not sure that it's a good place to give this piece of advice, and you may ignore it, of course), but it may be that you need to play a couple of times after a glass of wine or two. Just to let it go. wink

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765226
09/13/18 01:24 PM
09/13/18 01:24 PM
S
schinl Offline
schinl  Offline
S
Try recording yourself for sure, not just audio but video, too. My teacher made us record ourselves and it was a shock seeing and hearing myself 'in action' for the first time. In my head I thought I was gushing forth emotion (ha!) but on video, only 30% came through. I find one has to really exaggerate.

Also try listening to different recordings of the piece you're playing. It really helps to hear how professionals interpret the same music you're playing, and you'll find there are so many ways of expressing the music.

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765231
09/13/18 01:34 PM
09/13/18 01:34 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Midwest USA
I don't think you want to go the wine route crazy, but do consider using exaggeration as suggested by barbaram. Give yourself permission to exaggerate (envision Bugs Bunny at the keys) and let it go. You will probably want to do this without an audience, because it will sound and feel strange at first. But--this is key--you will get used to feeling and hearing more dynamics and expression coming from yourself. After a while it will feel and sound natural. You can always dial it back if necessary.

It's not enough to just say play with more expression. Your teacher should be pointing out physical movements that result in more (or less) volume, and how to bring out the melody (usually the top voice) while shading the other voices.

Pianosuzem, you are not alone in your feelings of "faking it." It has taken me a long time to internalize the notion that playing with what sometimes looks like exaggerated motions is not flamboyance (usually not; it does happen) but part and parcel of how pianists execute and control motions that result in expressive playing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765235
09/13/18 01:44 PM
09/13/18 01:44 PM
R
Richrf Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richrf  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
My heartfelt advice would be to get rid of your teacher, practice on your own, expressing yourself as you wish. All you need to do is relax, feel comfortable the music, and let your body express your feelings. Ber own navigator in life. It's a great skill in itself to develop.

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765251
09/13/18 02:27 PM
09/13/18 02:27 PM
Wisconsin, USA
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lakeviewsteve  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Wisconsin, USA
In my experience the expressiveness comes more natural if you are using your entire body to play the piano instead of just your hands. Your arms and hands should really feel weightless and when striking a key you should be using your entire shoulders and arms and not just hands / fingers. Have you watched some of the great pianists on You Tube? Irina Lankova does this very well. She also has a great series on You Tube explaining how she plays the piano including the issue you describe. Don't despair just keep telling yourself it isn't impossible! Best wishes to you / Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCkuCVK2Pg&list=RD_VCkuCVK2Pg&start_radio=1

Bösendorfer 170
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: schinl] #2765256
09/13/18 02:42 PM
09/13/18 02:42 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J
Reseda, California
Originally Posted by schinl
Try recording yourself for sure, not just audio but video, too. My teacher made us record ourselves and it was a shock seeing and hearing myself 'in action' for the first time. In my head I thought I was gushing forth emotion (ha!) but on video, only 30% came through. I find one has to really exaggerate.

Also try listening to different recordings of the piece you're playing. It really helps to hear how professionals interpret the same music you're playing, and you'll find there are so many ways of expressing the music.

+1. Listen to what good players do with it, then record yourself and listen.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765261
09/13/18 03:18 PM
09/13/18 03:18 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B
Originally Posted by pianosuzemn
I completely understand what she's saying and I think I know HOW to do it but I'm so insecure about performing or even practicing with feeling and expression. Somewhere along the way I have picked up a message that only "real" pianists get to play with expression and that I'm not good enough to be doing this. It's almost like an imposter syndrome and that I'm sorry of just faking it. Like I think someone will laugh at me if I play anything with dynamics or expressiveness.

It sounds like you know what to do to bring expression into your playing, but you are inhibited.

I used to be like that when I was a student in my first few years - I was very self-conscious and hated to 'stick out from the crowd', and was a shrinking violet even though my (first) teacher used to play advanced pieces with a huge range of dynamics and expression for me after every lesson, to show me what the piano could do if I kept practicing. But she was an expert, and I was just a beginner......

It wasn't until I got into playing pop tunes by ear (about three years into lessons, when I had acquired good aural skills) and then with scant regard for what the original singer(s) actually did (after all, I wasn't playing from any sheet music.....) that I felt able to 'let go' and just throw what I felt like into what I played. When I started doing that with my practicing when by myself, my playing became freer and more expressive, though I still felt inhibited when playing in front of my teacher. But not so when I teamed up with a violinist friend, and we let rip with classical pieces that we were sight-reading (very badly), as well as pop songs that we were improvising on.

I learnt that I didn't have to feel what it was that I was trying to project in my playing: I didn't have to feel sad just because the music was sad (like Chopin's Funeral March), or angry if the music was angry, as long as I conveyed it in my playing. Like an actor. Faking it. That's where having a wide range of technical skills came in: voicing, a wide range of articulation and dynamics, a wide range of speed without losing momentum and concentration when playing slowly, or control when playing fast (though it's fun to give the impression of being on the verge of losing control by accelerating slightly towards the climax in rapid passages...... wink - a trick that you can hear from quite a few virtuosi).

These days, I'm too old to care what people think of me when I play, even though I still occasionally suffer from periodic attacks of performance anxiety (which has never left me even after years of performing experience). I just want them to enjoy the music as much as I do, so I actually tend to exaggerate the 'expression' (playing the loud bits louder, the soft bits softer, the slow bits slower, the fast bits faster, the accents and sfz more marked etc) compared to when I'm playing the same pieces for myself at home. Not deliberately - I just 'let myself go', and let the presence of the audience 'inspire' me to give more of myself.

The last thing I want is to give the impression that the music I'm playing is boring because my playing of it is boring...... wink

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765272
09/13/18 04:19 PM
09/13/18 04:19 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
I think a lot of piano repertoire has built in inhibitions against expressive playing, especially from the early era like baroque and classical. Since a lot of piano training repertoire comes from that era, I suspect those inhibitions naturally get transmitted to, or reinforced in, the piano students.

I recently started playing some arias from Opera, transcribed for piano. This might be a good addition to your piano experience, as:

1. The songs are about love, loss, betrayal, longing, and other very strong human emotional experiences, and, by their nature, invite the pianist to express those through playing;

2. There are many, many, recordings of the world's best singers performing them on YouTube, where you can hear how the best interpret the pieces;

3. For my tastes (I am male), those sung by sopranos have an amazing pulling power over me, I absolutely love melody being sung in the register of a soprano's voice, and the piano is an ideal instrument for this.

My very first experience with arias transcribed for piano was a wonderfully entertaining video created by fellow ABFer Amaruk, who created this from an aria from the Marriage of Figaro Sull aria from Marraige of Figaro[/u]. Once I heard this, I was hooked. I am currently working on this piece for an upcoming ABF recital.

There are a lot of operatic piano arrangements available from major publishers, as well as from highly qualified pianists who write their own transcriptions and post their performances and sheet music offerings on YouTube.

Some examples:

Ekaterina Donchenko, [u][u]YouTube[/u]

YouTuber lucamadeus lucamadeus on YouTube

[u][u]Thalberg transcriptions of Opera classics for free on IMSLP[/u][/u], several of which are performed by YouTuber Tobia Sing here [u]Tobias Sing playing Opera transcriptions for piano[/u]

My current source and undertaking is the following book: [u]Most Beautiful Opera Melodies[/u]. I have been playing mostly RCM Level 2 and 3 materials, and the songs in this book are just a bit of a stretch for me.

Most of the sources mentioned above are of a higher difficulty level, perhaps more appropriate for you.

In any event, it is possible that you will benefit in your pursuit of more emotive playing by taking on pieces that invite, even require, greater expressiveness.

Good luck to you. smile

edit: I am sorry that the links above are not underscored. It seems the forum posting function is messed up right now.

Last edited by Ralphiano; 09/13/18 04:29 PM.

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765279
09/13/18 04:32 PM
09/13/18 04:32 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
My edit function expired before I could add this.

If you are shy about expressive playing, play expressive music just for yourself, by yourself, and with yourself. Don't share with teacher or anybody else unless and until you feel comfortable doing so.

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765314
09/13/18 06:51 PM
09/13/18 06:51 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
*sigh* Salt Lake City
Having grown up with older siblings, I learned early and well how to be ashamed of anything expressive. Those lessons persist.

Having power is not nearly as important as what you choose to do with it.
– Roald Dahl

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765335
09/13/18 09:00 PM
09/13/18 09:00 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
Florida
It might help to not think of a section as expressive but as some notes need to be louder and some softer. Play the louder parts louder and the softer parts softer. Then learn to gradually increase or decrease the volume as the piece crescendos or decrescendos.

You don’t have to feel emotional about a piece to play it expressively, it’s like how some notes play longer and some shorter, it’s just a quality that needs to be learned.

And yes, of the teachers I have had, only one focused on this extensively, and he helped my playing immensely. He plays beautifully and part of that is due to his expressiveness. The scraps I learned from him were invaluable. Sorry to report he moved away as he is doing a PhD program in piano. Some teachers focus on this aspect of playing, others are oblivious to it, and anywhere in between.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Consolidating My Repertoire
Mozart K545
Chopin Sonata 20, Posthumous, in C-Sharp Minor
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765339
09/13/18 09:14 PM
09/13/18 09:14 PM
Z
Zaphod Online sad
Zaphod  Online Sad
Z
I think in a nutshell that if you're insecure about portraying a certain expression at a certain point, maybe you should ask yourself whether this expression is genuine, or whether it's an expression you feel you ought to do, rather than want to do.

I used to have this as well when I played violin when I was young. "But I don't WANT to play this bit like that" - and so it would kind of feel a bit forced.

Stick to what you want to do, and I'll wager it'll come more naturally.

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765405
09/14/18 08:34 AM
09/14/18 08:34 AM
Sweden
G
ghosthand Offline
ghosthand  Offline
G
Sweden
Oooh yes, I wonder if we all haven't been there ... except, maybe, the very young kids who play with uncensored enthusiasm and make the whole audience go wooah and awww because there is another little progidy.

I came home from a piano summer school in England some weeks ago, where I had the most fantastic teacher. William Westney, author of "The Perfect Wrong Note" - he was in the faculty this year, and as I really love that book, I asked to get him as my teacher and he turned out to be even better than his book. I started by playing something by Mozart which I really had worked hard with, and he said "I don't have to teach you about the musical interpretation because you already have it. But I guess you are not sure what will happen when you sit down at the piano". He was absolutely right, I am one of those millions of pianists who practice diligently at home, but still it is like I am not in total command when I sit down to play. Not to mention the horror when I am to play on a piano I don't know yet, in a situation I am not used to. (That is, everything that is not alone at home ...)
And then my "clumsyphobia" which another good teacher said I suffered from. I am allergic to "insensitive playing", so I try to play sooo very delicate, careful, emotional ... and yup, when I am not totally accustomed to the piano, it usually ends with me playing "ghost notes" (pressing the keys without getting any sound). The fact that I have a digital at home makes it all worse, of course. But I must have a digital right now, there is no other option.

So the ordination I got was to play more bravely, daring to add maximum power in my playing without fear, even if the notes say "pp". Because he said that if I learn to play in DIFFERENT ways, I would become far more flexible. This is for practice purposes only, mind you. You must allow yourself to get loose, completely, when you practice. Dismount the piece. Try different expressions. Stop whereever you want, start wherever you want, try different tempi. A common trick to get evenness in a fast combination is, as everybody already knows, to play it in different rhythms - dotted, that is. When you have done that for a while, you will discover that you can ALSO play totally evenly. You are "in command" of the rhythm.

Another thing has already been mentioned by others, like exaggerating. If you were an actor, you would use your whole body and you voice as your instruments. That is why actors do very physical exercises during their training, often hilariously exaggerated, like crying hysterically and rolling on the floor. They must learn to control their "instrument" fully, even if they are to play a stiff queen sitting on a throne. So must you.

So when you are alone and nobody is watching, dare to exaggerate. Leave the piano, stand on the floor and "play" your piece (phrase, bar) with your whole body. SING! Personally I hate to sing, but if that is needed to get a better result, then okay. If nobody is listening ... Otherwise I can also imagine an opera singer, a real diva, performing my piano piece like an aria with full emotion. I can hear her voice in my head. I can also conduct the piece like a conductor would do, I wave my arms, make faces, sort of squeezing out the juice of this piece even if it is just a silly bagatelle. I usually pretend a lot - I pretend this opera singer, I pretend a whole symphony orchestra, a colourful parade, a vaudeville show, everything that can bring this silly bagatelle to life.

Ok, don't worry, this is NOT what you are going to show your teacher or any audience, like you were Jerry Lee Lewis on stereoids. It could be slightly disturbing and it is probably not in your nature... You can perform with a stone face like Horowitz if you like, that is good once you have learned the piece and can keep the emotions inside of you. But I can assure you that even if you feel really awkward in the beginning, you will get used to it, and when you discover how vivid your playing gets, you will love it.

If you feel so ridiculous that you start laughing at yourself - good. Nothing makes you feel better than a good laugh, and I promise that it will make you a better pianist too. And again, you do it alone in your home, where you are safe. When I am not alone, I sneak into the bathroom and make my silly performance in front of the mirror, although silently. This method has given me plenty of insights, I often have to stop and try new ideas on phrasing and expression. And it is great fun! If you play Bach, that is good, that is a challenge. For example, the famous BWV846 prelude in C major - when I "perform" it, I imagine the lower notes as a giant church organ pipe, I put my arms out like I am embracing it, I open my mouth like a bass singer and I can almost feel these deep tones hissing through me, like I was that organ pipe, and then I imagine the upper tones almost like a bird's voice - everything illustrated with gestures and faces. Then I may choose the "delicate" and "controlled" interpretation anyway in the end, but at least I have explored the possibilities fully, with my whole body.

So go ahead, get up from the piano and perfooooorm your piece instead of trying to control your fingers even more. The more you try to control, the less control you will end up with, ironically.

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765406
09/14/18 08:48 AM
09/14/18 08:48 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Florida
Ghosthand
I. too, am a huge fan of Westney’s book, and am quite jealous you had him for a teacher. Kudos to you on what you learned, and one of the truly outstanding posts on PW 👏🏻 We should all bookmark this one

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: Richrf] #2765409
09/14/18 08:58 AM
09/14/18 08:58 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content
Originally Posted by Richrf
My heartfelt advice would be to get rid of your teacher, practice on your own, expressing yourself as you wish. All you need to do is relax, feel comfortable the music, and let your body express your feelings. Ber own navigator in life. It's a great skill in itself to develop.

Do you think Irina Gorin didn't have a teacher? Or that her student's are better off quitting and going on their own? Because I see you posting a number of videos from a piano teacher. Or is it that adults are different than children and adults should just not have teachers and go on their own? Or is it that no other teacher including the OP's would favorably compare with Irina Gorin so therefore there is no point in having a teacher? LOL

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2765415
09/14/18 09:24 AM
09/14/18 09:24 AM
R
Richrf Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richrf  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Do you think Irina Gorin didn't have a teacher? Or that her student's are better off quitting and going on their own? Because I see you posting a number of videos from a piano teacher. Or is it that adults are different than children and adults should just not have teachers and go on their own? Or is it that no other teacher including the OP's would favorably compare with Irina Gorin so therefore there is no point in having a teacher? LOL

Learning to navigate ones own path is a skill worth having, possibly even more so than piano playing. Everyone is their own best teacher.

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765427
09/14/18 10:19 AM
09/14/18 10:19 AM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline
Canada
Learning to navigate ones own path is a skill worth having, possibly even more so than piano playing. Everyone is their own best teacher.

In partnership with a good teacher that is part of the equation.

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: keystring] #2765487
09/14/18 01:58 PM
09/14/18 01:58 PM
R
Richrf Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richrf  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by keystring

In partnership with a good teacher that is part of the equation.

No, when I say by oneself, i mean exactly that. Self-reliance is a valuable skill in many ways. For one thing it teaches that you don't need a teacher, it is optional. Pretty much handles the insecurities issues in life.

Last edited by Richrf; 09/14/18 02:00 PM.
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: Richrf] #2765492
09/14/18 02:17 PM
09/14/18 02:17 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

No, when I say by oneself, i mean exactly that. Self-reliance is a valuable skill in many ways. For one thing it teaches that you don't need a teacher, it is optional..

I agree, you don't need a teacher for anything, not even to read & write.

So, why are you learning from teachers?

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765521
09/14/18 05:04 PM
09/14/18 05:04 PM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Orange County, California
If you are watching videos of others playing and teaching piano, then aren't you learning from someone else, and not teaching yourself??

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765526
09/14/18 05:18 PM
09/14/18 05:18 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Florida
C’mon, guys. There is an old southern US saying: ‘don’t beat a dead horse’. Isn’t that what we’re doing here? Everyone who has been on this forum for 24 hours knows that Rich does not believe in piano teachers, dven though he chooses YouTube teacher-based learning. nothing will change his mind.

Maybe it’s time to stop beating the horse....

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765549
09/14/18 06:29 PM
09/14/18 06:29 PM
Twin cities MN US
pianosuzemn Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
pianosuzemn  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
Twin cities MN US
Once again, thank you to everybody! I have started reading the book by Westney on my kindle, and I ordered the Inner Game of Music. And I am feeling SO much better about this whole issue. I have tried some exaggerated playing, and it's actually OK to do on my own. I am determined to just bite the bullet and do it for my teacher next week as well. It's just good to know that others have experienced something similar. With respect to videotaping or recording myself, I know I should get back to that.
Thanks again, everyone!

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: pianosuzemn] #2765564
09/14/18 07:25 PM
09/14/18 07:25 PM
Z
Zaphod Online sad
Zaphod  Online Sad
Z
Originally Posted by bennevis

I agree, you don't need a teacher for anything, not even to read & write.

I nevah had a teechar wen i lernd to rite and it nevah did mee anee hahm.

Re: Insecurities with expressive playing [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2765569
09/14/18 07:40 PM
09/14/18 07:40 PM
R
Richrf Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richrf  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
If you are watching videos of others playing and teaching piano, then aren't you learning from someone else, and not teaching yourself??

There is a qualitative difference between someone learning and someobe being taught what they should do. It's a big difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
In the market for an upright (just starting)
by Sabin76. 09/23/18 10:14 PM
Yamaha P125 vs P115 ???
by Pianoworldstage. 09/23/18 09:58 PM
Buzzing sound and strange white repair on soundboard
by Swedishnerd. 09/23/18 06:01 PM
Galaxy Vintage D - still has pedaling issues?
by clavichords. 09/23/18 05:10 PM
Roland D-05 startup patch
by EVC2017. 09/23/18 04:19 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,456
Posts2,747,404
Members91,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission