2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Dear All,
It's been a while since I recorded this difficult sonata -it is difficult to play; difficult to memorise; and difficult to listen to :)) In this recording it is still a work in progress. Although currently I play it quite differently, still I wanted to share this wonderful sonata. I hope you like it, thank you.
Can.

"Schubert's music brings tears to our eyes, without any questioning of the soul: this is how stark and real is the way that the music strikes us."
Adorno
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Beyond beautiful.
I'd have trouble saying it's not perfect. grin

Performances like this are what tell me that it's a good thing I didn't go into music. ha

While theoretically I can imagine that I might be able to learn and play Chopin and Liszt etudes (theoretically, theoretically!) ha on the best day of my life I wouldn't come close to playing a single phrase of this as well as you do. From the very first measures of the piece, we can tell what's in store.

The reason I rushed to listen was that I've never heard it (except when I've looked through it myself). Nobody I've known has ever worked on it, and I've never heard it on a concert program.

There are a couple of places in the first movement that echo Scarlatti to me: 1:38 and 2:06. There aren't any other places in Schubert where I've ever had such an impression.

I wouldn't say that the piece is "difficult to listen to :)) " but I know what you mean.
But, not any more so than any of Schubert's other large sonatas.

......well, if nobody else says anything, you'll just have to take my word for it. ha

(And you can.)

Folks, this is extraordinary.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, CanCakmur! Well, this is a brand new piece for me! As the first movement progressed, I couldn't help but think that here is a piece that would have occurred had Haydn and Mozart gotten together and pooled their respective strengths at the keyboard and fashioned "the best of both worlds". As the subsequent movements evolved, it morphed more and more into the uniquely Schubertian perspective, but IMO still retained the understated, elegant restraint of the Classical world. Since you had mentioned it, I'd be curious to know what your present perspective is regarding this mid-period work, and how that is different from your performance here.

"...this wonderful sonata." Yes. Yes, it is. Thanks for sharing this!

C
OP Offline
C
Dear Friends
You are absolutely wonderful. Thank you very much.
What I changed is more HOW I play, and not very much the idea. I try to get a more precise sound. It worked better at last, in the 4th time I played it last month! One doesn’t realise how bloody tricky this sonata is until it goes on stage. I would take D 960 every day in terms of comfortable playing. I think that is the reason why people don’t attempt this often enough. Otherwise the audience responds wonderfully to it. It does speak to them.

All in all, isn’t it amazing what a 19 year old Schubert could create? It is not just a bunch of ingenious parts like it is very often with prodigies, but it is a meaningful and coherent whole. And the Menuetto is...

I am very happy to have made some positive advertisement for the sonata and thank you VERY much for listening and writing so kindly

"Schubert's music brings tears to our eyes, without any questioning of the soul: this is how stark and real is the way that the music strikes us."
Adorno
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wow, just WOW! whome wow

[Linked Image]
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
It's always a pleasure to listen to you play Can, and it's been fun listening to you develop over the last 8(?) years. Your playing is really quite remarkable and gives evidence of the work you put into it. Thanks for sharing!

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you Damon, it's been 13 years now! For me, it is always like sharing a performance with family smile

Adorno
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
it's a privilege for the listener to hear you play, maestro. thank you for sharing your art. the differences in what Schubert attempts in textures in D 568 compared to D 960 is indeed striking, and maybe the directness of the very late work is part of its wide appeal. quite enjoyed your competition performance of Beethoven op. 101, and would love hearing one of your performances live. best wishes and namaste.

https://crosseyedpianist.com/2017/09/10/scottish-international-piano-competition-winner-announced/

R
R
This is a wonderful performance. Lyrical and the interpretation is communicated fluently and not in any way as "forced", or didactic. There is so much to commend about this kind of playing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission