Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
112 registered members (amyram, 36251, Antihero, 1pianolover, anotherscott, 604Rakuda, Bett, akc42, 26 invisible), 1,696 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: Beemer] #2763484
09/04/18 09:52 PM
09/04/18 09:52 PM
Lincoln, NE
T
That Guy Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
That Guy  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
T

Lincoln, NE
I too am a beta user and have updated but where do I find the change you mentioned? Also have you been able to open the beta app in an additional Android device. I have it working on my phone but on also installing it on my Android tablet, despite Playstore saying "you are a beta user' the app on my tablet is not a beta version.

You can see the change under General Settings. As far as the beta version on your tablet is concerned, you might try uninstalling it and then install the beta version which you should see in the "Beta" heading when you go to "My apps & games". Hope that helps!

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, NE
www.thattuningguy.com
(ad 800)
PTG Journals
PTG Journal
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2763507
09/05/18 04:16 AM
09/05/18 04:16 AM
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Scotland
Scott,
Latest beta update just came through for me on my phone so I now see the inharmonicity variation. Uninstalled from the tablet installation and installed the beta from Playstore. Although the installation confirmed I am a beta tester the app installs as 'free' not a paid version. There is an upgrade button but I guess this would cause me to pay twice.

Not a real problem as I was only wanting to install on my tablet to see if it had a better mic.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: David Boyce] #2763509
09/05/18 04:24 AM
09/05/18 04:24 AM
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Scotland
Originally Posted by David Boyce
Does anyone use an external microphone with their smartphone or tablet, for better frequency pickup?

Hello David,
I investigated this and found that neither my LG phone or Samsung Gaalaxy tablet could use an external mic except if the app was a dedicated digital audio recording app. So even if the device had the capability Anthony Wiley would need to rewrite his software.
I have Neumann KM184 professional condenser mics that I use for recording piano and it would have been interesting to see if they improved EPT ' response to the top notes.
I tried using an Android emulator app that runs in Windows so that I could use my Audient iD44 usb interface with the mic but EPT opens and runs as if in treakle.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2763557
09/05/18 12:10 PM
09/05/18 12:10 PM
Scotland
D
David Boyce Offline
Gold Subscriber
David Boyce  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
D

Scotland
Thanks for that response, Ian. I had noted comments in online forums about problems with various devices not recognising external mics for video recording. I bought a little cable to match the three-segment mic jack plug to the four-segment sockets on my phone and tablet, but haven't yet tried it out, so we shall see how it goes.

Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764016
09/07/18 03:47 PM
09/07/18 03:47 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
I'm not sure if this has been addressed already, but you can run EPT on a Windows PC using an emulator. I use the BlueStacks emulator. It is free, and is blindingly fast for high end games and runs EPT perfectly. This should open up the opportunity for other non-android users to give it a try.

BlueStacks System Requirements
1.4GB HDD space should be vacant.
2.A minimum of 2GB RAM should be available.
3.Internet connectivity.
4.A graphics card to enhance the user experience.

Download it here: https://bluestacksguides.com/bluestacks-download/#info

Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: prout] #2764085
09/07/18 10:59 PM
09/07/18 10:59 PM
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Scotland
Prout,
Strange, I have a high end desktop, a Gforce 1060 graphics card, 32GB memory ,. M2 ssd, 320mbs internet. Bluestacks takes ages to load and EPT beta does not run smoothly.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764155
09/08/18 11:28 AM
09/08/18 11:28 AM
Scherbakov Alex Offline
Scherbakov Alex  Offline

I tried using an external microphone. It plugs into my headphone jack and is defined as a headset microphone. Different phone models may have features in the contacts of the microphone connection. It needs to be specified for a specific model or experiment. Microphone Panasonic WM-61A.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

It differs linearity in the amplitude-frequency response. When you look at the spectrogram from this microphone, you can notice that it can not respond to certain events occurring in the phone. For example, it can fade a little at a certain frequency. With one phone there was a background, when I removed my hand from the sensor of the screen. With the current model this is not. Fonis can also be powered or cellular. I do not know how, but the spectrogram sometimes showed a squeak or buzz at some frequencies. Therefore, when used with a tuner, it is desirable to turn on the airplane mode. Most likely, good phone models (not the cheapest ones) will not have any problems.
   About the use of a microphone - I did not find any special differences between the external microphone and the built-in microphone. The differences are so minimal that they will hardly affect the quality of the setting. Another point may be the location of the microphone. At frequencies of the upper range, the wavelength is not so great, if you catch a standing wave in the room or the body of the instrument, that is, the probability that the microphone will be in the node of the wave. Then some overtone phone will not be able to hear. The output is just to move the phone a few centimeters to the side.

Pleasant update - I continue to use and test!

Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: Scherbakov Alex] #2764158
09/08/18 11:33 AM
09/08/18 11:33 AM
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Scotland
Originally Posted by Scherbakov Alex
I tried using an external microphone. It plugs into my headphone jack and is defined as a headset microphone. Different phone models may have features in the contacts of the microphone connection. It needs to be specified for a specific model or experiment. Microphone Panasonic WM-61A.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

It differs linearity in the amplitude-frequency response. When you look at the spectrogram from this microphone, you can notice that it can not respond to certain events occurring in the phone. For example, it can fade a little at a certain frequency. With one phone there was a background, when I removed my hand from the sensor of the screen. With the current model this is not. Fonis can also be powered or cellular. I do not know how, but the spectrogram sometimes showed a squeak or buzz at some frequencies. Therefore, when used with a tuner, it is desirable to turn on the airplane mode. Most likely, good phone models (not the cheapest ones) will not have any problems.
   About the use of a microphone - I did not find any special differences between the external microphone and the built-in microphone. The differences are so minimal that they will hardly affect the quality of the setting. Another point may be the location of the microphone. At frequencies of the upper range, the wavelength is not so great, if you catch a standing wave in the room or the body of the instrument, that is, the probability that the microphone will be in the node of the wave. Then some overtone phone will not be able to hear. The output is just to move the phone a few centimeters to the side.

Pleasant update - I continue to use and test!

I assume that as with my phone and tablet you too cannot disable AGC?
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764159
09/08/18 11:37 AM
09/08/18 11:37 AM
Scherbakov Alex Offline
Scherbakov Alex  Offline

Beemer, AGC-?

Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764167
09/08/18 12:03 PM
09/08/18 12:03 PM
Scotland
D
David Boyce Offline
Gold Subscriber
David Boyce  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
D

Scotland
Automatic Gain Control: AGC

Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764181
09/08/18 01:28 PM
09/08/18 01:28 PM
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Scotland
From wikipedia:
A potential disadvantage of AGC is that when recording something like music with quiet and loud passages such as classical music, the AGC will tend to make the quiet passages louder and the loud passages quieter, compressing the dynamic range; the result can be a reduced musical quality if the signal is not re-expanded when playing, as in a companding system.

also from wikipedia:

In its simplest form, a limiter can consist of a pair of back-to-back clamp diodes, which simply shunt excess signal amplitude to ground when the diode conduction threshold is exceeded. This approach will simply clip off the top of large signals, leading to high levels of distortion

end quotes

The above is why I would prefer to switch off AGC when EPT is aquiring sound.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764359
09/09/18 02:16 PM
09/09/18 02:16 PM
Scherbakov Alex Offline
Scherbakov Alex  Offline

I noticed how the tuner's spectrum is updated. It is updated approximately twice per second. But a little different is observed in the program of the Spectroid for android:

Here the spectrum is updated in different ways at different frequencies. Lower-rare, high-often. Noticeably how the clarity of frequency mapping improves. In the settings of the Spectroid, this is called "decimations".
Does it make sense to do something similar in the Easy tuner? Maybe it can add tenaciousness, accuracy, sensitivity, performance? Maybe for each note you need your own zones, in which the frequency of the spectrum zone update would correlate with the frequency of overtones?
Just like the idea ..

Last edited by Scherbakov Alex; 09/09/18 02:20 PM.
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764383
09/09/18 05:06 PM
09/09/18 05:06 PM
Scotland
D
David Boyce Offline
Gold Subscriber
David Boyce  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
D

Scotland
Ian, I recall a comment on radio that Classic FM (a UK classical music station, folks) is much more compressed than the BBC's Radio 3 (also classical, folks), because it is reckoned that Classic FM is listened to more while driving, and the 'heavier' Radio 3 more in the home. Compressing the dynamic range more, suits the station better to an in-car listening experience, whereas BBC Radio 3 is higher-fidelity.

Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: David Boyce] #2764392
09/09/18 06:44 PM
09/09/18 06:44 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
2000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

London
Ian, I recall a comment on radio that Classic FM (a UK classical music station, folks) is much more compressed than the BBC's Radio 3 (also classical, folks), because it is reckoned that Classic FM is listened to more while driving, and the 'heavier' Radio 3 more in the home. Compressing the dynamic range more, suits the station better to an in-car listening experience, whereas BBC Radio 3 is higher-fidelity.

Radio 3 on the internet is very high quality with little compression. On FM, Radio 3 is considerably compressed (hence lower dynamic range), though probably not as compressed as Classic FM.

Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764396
09/09/18 07:02 PM
09/09/18 07:02 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
2000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

London

Radio 3 on the internet is very high quality with little compression. On FM, Radio 3 is considerably compressed (hence lower dynamic range and lower fidlelity), though probably not as compressed as Classic FM.

Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764470
09/10/18 08:28 AM
09/10/18 08:28 AM
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Scotland
David and David-G,

I think your mentioning compression is off topic with regard to AGC. AGC is a gain boosting facility that compensates for the recording gain being set too low. My concern is the uncertainty of the response speed of the agc both on it's increase and decrease. Might some partials be unnecessarily attenuated or even accentuated.

Also off topic but one that is dear to my heart is radio broadcast. We are fortunate that the BBC and UK government has backed off from dropping FM broadcasts. Forcing us in the UK to listen to DAB broadcasts which can be as low as 60 Kbps mono with MP-2 codec. I see no sign of DAB+ being broadcast by the BBC despite radios now being available in the UK. In 2017 the BBC broadcast the Proms using Radio 3 Concert Sound with FLAC codec but I failed to find out if this was repeated this year.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764828
09/11/18 09:14 PM
09/11/18 09:14 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

I need help navigating the purchase/upgrade to EPT "Plus". I tried the demo version and was impressed. However, my efforts to now upgrade have been unsuccessful, and, I do not understand the reasons why. Bear in mind that I hate smartphones and the whole Googleverse, but, use it grudgingly, as it slowly takes over the world and becomes the only way to live.

The downloading of the trial/demo version went very quickly and smoothly several days ago. Here is my best description of what happens when I try to upgrade to "Plus":

My very first effort appeared to be successful, giving me a confirmation of the purchase. I thought this odd because at no point was I asked to provide a payment method. I think I was only asked to sign in to my google account. However, immediately after this "transaction" I found that the download did not occur and that I was still presented with the option to upgrade to "Plus", as if I was not yet a "Plus" customer. I do not remember all the details well, as, I was not on alert that something was amiss until this point in time.

Subsequent efforts to upgrade have gone roughly as follows:

From EPT on my cellphone screen, I tap the menu pulldown in the upper left, and then tap the "Upgrade" button at the bottom of the pull down menu. This results in a screen that asks me to "Choose an account". As options, it offers up my Gmail account and the choice to "Add account".

I tap the button for my email and "ok".

It then goes to a screen that says "Oops! There was a problem with your purchase. Try again later!"

If I go back to the pull down menu from the upper left corner of EPT and start over, I get the message: "Error purchasing: Value <!DOCTYPE of type java.lang.String cannot be converted to JSONObject"

Do any of you understand what all this stuff means? And, do you have advise as to what I need to do to upgrade to "Plus"?

The sequence of failure above has repeated itself faithfully both early this afternoon, and again, late this evening.

Thank you for your help.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764839
09/11/18 10:13 PM
09/11/18 10:13 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

I just discovered, before shutting the computer down for the evening, that I received a receipt for a $20 payment to EPT via PayPal in my email about the same time that I was attempting to upgrade. So, I checked my EPT for the upgrade. But, my EPT has not been upgraded to "Plus".

I have no clue as to what's going on. I am sending copies of these messages to the "Contact" address at the EPT website, but, understand that the problem could be with the Google-Ralph relationship, in addition to the possibility of an EPT problem.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764840
09/11/18 10:16 PM
09/11/18 10:16 PM
Lincoln, NE
T
That Guy Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
That Guy  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
T

Lincoln, NE
Ralph - A couple things to try. 1. Uninstall EPT and then install it again. 2. Power down your device and start it up again. (You could also uninstall, power down & up, then install EPT.) By the way, if you have a problem with ANY Android app these two steps are the first things to do.

Question: Do you have a payment method (credit card) registered with Google? If not, you won't be able to purchase anything. It certainly is curious that initially you got a conformation but the paid version didn't show up.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, NE
www.thattuningguy.com
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner [Re: That Guy] #2764842
09/11/18 10:20 PM
09/11/18 10:20 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Thanks, That Guy.

Apparently we posted at the same time. I have updated information that appears in the post immediately preceding yours.

I will try the uninstall/power down, and report back.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nice legs!
by Retsacnal. 10/18/19 07:15 PM
New to the Piano
by StuartM. 10/18/19 06:14 PM
From digital to real strings piano
by ng80092a. 10/18/19 05:49 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,597
Posts2,880,750
Members94,706
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission