2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
45 registered members (Beemer, Charades, amyram, BeeZee4, Calavera, Brahms4, ChrisGoesPiano, Beowulf, 12 invisible), 234 guests, and 487 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: rickyd123] #2763832 09/06/18 05:51 PM
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rickyd123
I understand all of that. I think what I was asking kind of got lost a little. I wanted some exercises or practice tips that would improve my ability to play without looking at my hands. I know I'll need to look at my hands some. I just want try to lessen it. I feel I need to look at my hands much to much.
Why not just use any pieces you are learning or sight reading? As long as the pieces are at an appropriate level I think that's how most people learn not to look at their hands all the time. If you are concerned about making too many mistakes, you could use some pieces that are slightly below the ones you are currently learning.

Since virtually all pianists, even at the most advanced level, look at their hands some of the time when playing from the score, I think it's also very important to practice the skill of finding your place after looking at your hands.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/06/18 05:56 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: dogperson] #2763833 09/06/18 05:54 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by dogperson
[...]
I’m sure you were taught not to stare at your hands; otherwise, you would not be able to play any music by reading the score. You would need to memorize everything
It is a matter of time and playing a great deal of music.

I recall one person who never got the hang of reading from a score and playing. This person would read one measure, then look down at the hands and play it; read the next measure, then look down at the hands and play it. Even when this person tried to perform a work for an audience, this was how the performance would inevitably turn out.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: BruceD] #2763838 09/06/18 06:30 PM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BruceD
I recall one person who never got the hang of reading from a score and playing. This person would read one measure, then look down at the hands and play it; read the next measure, then look down at the hands and play it. Even when this person tried to perform a work for an audience, this was how the performance would inevitably turn out.

Regards,

Of course !

The way you practice is the way you will learn to play.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used)
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: Moo :)] #2763839 09/06/18 06:38 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Moo :)
I don’t think so.

I think I look at my hands quite a lot.

In any case I think the skill is learning to jump from music to hands and to music without getting lost.

I am not an expert at all.

Is there any piano teachers that can advise?

Watch this eye tracking video.... and the difference between the student and professional musician

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GVvY8KfXXgE

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: rickyd123] #2763858 09/06/18 09:16 PM
Z
Zaphod Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I would actually talk on a more macro level with this.

Play something you know off by heart. Close your eyes. Take it very slowly.

Rinse and repeat. You will gradually learn about the tactile awareness and visualisation. I'm not sure it's something that can be taught that much. It is a very abstract thing.

I would say though that it's the black notes that give you a clue as to where you are. That much we can say, as regards the tactile feel. And it's the tactile feel that it's all about.

Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: dogperson] #2763862 09/06/18 09:36 PM
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Very cool link, dogperson!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: cmb13] #2763872 09/06/18 10:07 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13
Very cool link, dogperson!

Glad you think so.... in the YouTube notes, there are links to other
research, but I haven’t watched them yet

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: rickyd123] #2763881 09/06/18 11:14 PM
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by rickyd123
Once I cover my hands and can't see the keys anymore I completely fall apart trying to play a song I know by heart.

For the first couple of years learning piano I would look at my hands constantly. I had two teachers both of whom said it was ok to look at my hands, but if I stopped looking then the piece I was playing would fall apart. The other thing I believe I was doing wrong was learning every piece by memory and getting away from the score as soon as I could. So one day I just told myself I was no longer going to try to deliberately memorise any new piece and just read the score, only looking at my hands when absolutely necessary. Reading every note has been the only exercise I ever needed. To me there was a cost that it takes me longer to learn pieces, but that is most likely the increasing difficulty as well. While it might be true that when I learn a piece it takes longer than I would like, I believe reading, and being reliant on the score for much longer, I learn a piece at a deeper level. Now three and a half years on I don't need to look at my hands, but if I do that is ok because watching my hands isn't the primary way I learn a piece anymore.

I don't think exercises are the answer, but I second what was previously written regards Bach Inventions. Invention No 1 was probably one of the first that I started with the idea of not looking at my hands. Using the mind to visualise, and the fingers to feel the intervals was at the time revolutionary for me. So the only exercise I would recommend is to learn your intervals and the rest will fall into place (although as always with piano, never overnight).

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: rickyd123] #2763883 09/07/18 12:01 AM
Rob Mullins Offline
I deal with this issue and many others in my teaching studio daily.
Feel free to contact me to quickly resolve these problems.
You can reach me at info@planetmullins.con

Rob Mullins
www.planetmullins.com
Recording Artist and Jazz Piano Instructor
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: rickyd123] #2763886 09/07/18 12:16 AM
N
Nahum Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
N
rickyd123 , how many years do you play the piano? During the years, each of us creates an image of keyboard in the visual memory. There are simply pianists who use this and who do not use it. Try to remember: to avoid step at puddle on a rainy day, do you look directly under your feet, or forward?

Last edited by Nahum; 09/07/18 12:16 AM.
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: rickyd123] #2763895 09/07/18 02:13 AM
marimorimo Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I find this question very interesting, as I am around OP’s level and had the same question—from the very start of my piano studies.

First it was learning how to move just slightly out of the five-finger position. How on earth could I do that without looking at my hands?? (I lost my place on the sheet music easily too). But what seemed impossible seemed totally doable after about a week of practice. Then it was octaves. Same thing. Then it was hands jumping around—that seemed totally out of my range, but before I knew it, I was also doing it with ease. Nowadays I hardly ever look at my hands as my eyes are always glued to the sheet music and in fact have had to train the opposite direction—my teacher has specifically told my to glance at my hands from time to time (certain jumps) in the interest of ensuring accuracy. And in fact staring at my hands all the time disorients me.

The only other physical thing I changed was placing a tall box of tissues to serve as my “music stand” on my digital piano, as the built-in stand was too low (just right above the keys) and made glancing between the sheet music and my hands too easy. In many acoustic pianos the music stand is much higher up and so the distance my eyes/neck have to travel to glance at my hands is longer.

I suspect that after some time muscle memory kicks in and I no longer need to look at my hands. But the funny thing is, that muscle memory is “preserved” somehow and I can directly transfer that skill to other pieces.

Nowadays I’m doing a waltz with pretty big jumps and I still need to look at my hands. I trust that the process I’ve been doing until now will kick in and in time, I’ll be able to play the piece, in tempo, without looking at my hands.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: dogperson] #2763911 09/07/18 06:42 AM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

Originally Posted by dogperson

Watch this eye tracking video.... and the difference between the student and professional musician

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GVvY8KfXXgE

Thank you. That was an interesting video.

Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: rickyd123] #2763912 09/07/18 06:45 AM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think when sight reading or have a new piece I spend most of the time looking at music.

When I know it more, I look more at my hands.

I agree with some of the others and would recommend sight reading practice or more easier pieces is probably the way to develop the skill.

I don’t think playing closed eyes or covering fingers sare necessary.

Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: Moo :)] #2763917 09/07/18 07:57 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Moo :)
I think when sight reading or have a new piece I spend most of the time looking at music.

When I know it more, I look more at my hands.

Concert pianists appear to mostly look at their hands. I am supposing that without a score in front of you, looking at your hands while playing in public is better than gazing off into space all the time or staring at the top of the piano...

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: Rob Mullins] #2763922 09/07/18 08:26 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rob Mullins
I deal with this issue and many others in my teaching studio daily.
Feel free to contact me to quickly resolve these problems.
You can reach me at info@planetmullins.con

Hi Rob
Since this question occurs here regularly, would you kindly consider sharing your thoughts publicly?

Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: rickyd123] #2763924 09/07/18 08:42 AM
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
One frequent mistake that I notice many beginners do, is that they move head up and down too much when reading music, that's why they lose the place is a score so easily. Rickyd123, if you happen to have this problem, try not to move your head much, but rather look at the keyboard and back with your eyes only.

As an exercise I would rather recommend to firstly play memorized pieces or fragments with eyes closed to develop the sense of your hands position relative to the keyboard and the mental visual topography of the keyboard. And only then read the music without looking at the keyboard at all.

Good luck!

Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: rickyd123] #2763976 09/07/18 12:19 PM
Z
zrtf90 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Z
CPE Bach recommended playing scales and arpeggios in the dark to help develop a sense of the keyboard topography. Arpeggios are typically played so fast that looking is purely a confidence thing. Playing memorised pieces with eyes closed is probably similar as the movements have all been practised before.

I have found that learning new pieces by feel alone helped to develop the confidence to play without looking down. Learning a new piece is a slow process anyway so the extra time involved wasn't as noticeable.

This issue is often the major stumbling block in learning to sight-read.

Richard
Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: rickyd123] #2763992 09/07/18 01:16 PM
Z
Zaphod Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Also, use your ears. although it may seem obvious. If you hit a wrong note while not looking at the keyboard, try and imagine how it is wrong, and what you have to do to correct it, and also do that without looking at the keyboard.

Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: rickyd123] #2763993 09/07/18 01:25 PM
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
One more hint here: start with keys, that have large number of sharps or flats (F# maj would be perfect), they are easiest to play without visual control. Blind pianists love them.

Re: I want to learn to look less at the keys while playing .... [Re: rickyd123] #2764086 09/07/18 10:22 PM
D
Dreamingstill Offline
D
Take a look at Stevie Wonder's hands over the keyboard in this example that was posted in the other forum

Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards High-level classical pianist and DP: recordings examples.

His video is half-way down the page. You can see how sometimes he feels the black keys - it's very brief, just a light swift movement of the hand.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Alicia Keys - Moonlight Sonata
by Pathetique1 - 02/25/20 03:09 AM
Int/Midi button on Kawai MP11
by giu - 02/25/20 02:56 AM
New bass strings sound hollow
by Emery Wang - 02/25/20 01:01 AM
About Yamaha cx
by Fer15 - 02/24/20 11:48 PM
grades of pieces
by Kaori Miyamoto - 02/24/20 05:40 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,176
Posts2,929,692
Members96,104
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission