2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2762702 09/02/18 08:48 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Are there any known reviewer of digital pianos that doesn't work for a manufacturer or a music-store?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yes.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
A
A
You can find the most useful reviews in forums and sometimes on reddit. Just have a search around in these forums and also some others. Are there particular make/models which you are looking for?

Kawai CA78 | Kawai ES110 | Kawai Upright | Alexander Herrmann Upright (Sold) | Korg SP170 (Sold) | JBL LSR305 // Pianoteq Stage // CFX Lite |
https://leadingtaxaccountants.com.au/

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
PianoManChuck on YouTube used to be "just a regular guy" (gigging musician) reviewing digital pianos.

He's now selling some brands too as a one man business I believe. That doesn't necessarily mean that he has suddenly become biased. Especially as he's selling many brands and not just one.

C
OP Offline
C
I'm primarily looking for the usual suspects within the $0-$2000 slab range.

Are there people who do regular reviews? Whos channel/site you would always visit before making a purchase?

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
There's also Tim Praskins:

https://azpianonews.blogspot.com

The problem is, he sells pianos, so he may be biased by:

. . . What he sells, and doesn't sell, and
. . . what his profit margin is.

As a source for information (as opposed to opinions), he's pretty good.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

The problem is, he sells pianos, so he may be biased by:

. . . What he sells, and doesn't sell, and
. . . what his profit margin is.

As a source for information (as opposed to opinions), he's pretty good.

Does he lay out all the shortcomings of the products he comments on?

C
OP Offline
C
Would those of you who've used the Kawai VPC1 say the following vid by Smart Classical Piano is credible? He does say this instrument is as good as you're gonna get which is quite inspiring, but if it has shortcomings beyond its functionality it would be nice to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewjZG2KmHs

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Clueless999

. . . .

"Missing features" -- something you'd expect to find, and it's not there -- he catches those.

But subtle subjective stuff -- too-short sustain, inadequate resonance -- sometimes it's mentioned, sometimes it's not.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
IMO, the only reviews I need are the ones I conduct myself, in the store with fingers on the keyboard.
Do any other reviews matter to you? Not to me they don't.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

. . . .

"Missing features" -- something you'd expect to find, and it's not there -- he catches those.

But subtle subjective stuff -- too-short sustain, inadequate resonance -- sometimes it's mentioned, sometimes it's not.

I would always worry that negative reviews, particularly from high profile reviewers, is going to attract legal attention. I suspect that is why I find on-line reviews of almost anything only good for fact research. Where negative reviews exist, such as customer reviews on amazon - mostly it is difficult to really draw conclusions since there are others with opposite opinions.

[Linked Image]

I don't think that bad reviews are squelched by negative legal consequences.

Instead I think that positive reviews are touted for positive commercial outcomes. That is, web sites are powered by advertising revenue. And positive reviews attract advertisers.

For that reason I pay no heed to reviews. They're meant to influence me.

But I don't need such influences. I prefer to be influenced by "reviews" conducted by my own fingers and ears.

akc42 #2763075 09/03/18 10:54 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by akc42

. . . .

I would always worry that negative reviews, particularly from high profile reviewers, is going to attract legal attention. I suspect that is why I find on-line reviews of almost anything only good for fact research. Where negative reviews exist, such as customer reviews on amazon - mostly it is difficult to really draw conclusions since there are others with opposite opinions.

Around these parts, negative reviews tend to rile the ire of a given brand’s camp followers.... it may take a while but if you have doubts, do the due, spend some time in the archives here, RAFOFY.

3Macs advice is the soundest.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
drewr #2763093 09/03/18 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by drewr
do the due

ha! thought that was a soft drink!? good one! cool

pianomanchucky can definitely show bias.
he did a vid on a new product, and promoted it on a forum.....along with touting he can offer it at a low price, without having played it yet.

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Clueless: Just wondering if you have made a decision on a digital piano yet ?

Have you made a purchase ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
B
B

The problem is

...the writing and presentation style is like it's from the 90s or something... crazy

T
T
I've found pianobuyer.com very helpful, but they don't review a large number of digital pianos. Other than that, reading forums like this one helps quite a bit, especially as there aren't many shops in my area which stock those in which I'm interested.

I've also found some YouTube channels--retailer related and otherwise--and even seller websites to be quite useful, particularly when they play the instrument(s) and allow the listener to hear them, including comparisons. I've found PianoManChuck's videos quite helpful, as well as a UK music store's (Bonner's, I think). Of course you have to consider recording technique, YouTube compression, your playback, etc., but it helps when something isn't available to try.

Tim P #2763783 09/06/18 04:41 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tim P
I've found pianobuyer.com very helpful, but they don't review a large number of digital pianos. Other than that, reading forums like this one helps quite a bit, especially as there aren't many shops in my area which stock those in which I'm interested.

Sure, PianoBuyer operates with a small staff which limits how many reviews we can do. For that matter, trying to select independent reviewers for each issue can be tricky and time-consuming, when I'm not writing reviews myself. The most recent hardware review we've done is of a newer Dexibell model (there's some video content accompanying this review) and we have a Pianoteq review in the pipeline which will likely feature a new virtual piano that hasn't been released yet. That's probably a month out (or so).

If you have specific suggestions for gear you want reviewed, we're happy to hear from you, so long as you understand that we might release 4-6 in-depth digital reviews per year. Also, the comments section of our online reviews has been live for some time; Larry Fine and I do read your comments.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
C
OP Offline
C
I've decided to go for an entry level piano. I've been looking at reviews from many of the ones proposed here and found a lot of useful info. Thanks smile

T
T
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Originally Posted by Tim P

Sure, PianoBuyer operates with a small staff which limits how many reviews we can do. For that matter, trying to select independent reviewers for each issue can be tricky and time-consuming, when I'm not writing reviews myself. The most recent hardware review we've done is of a newer Dexibell model (there's some video content accompanying this review) and we have a Pianoteq review in the pipeline which will likely feature a new virtual piano that hasn't been released yet. That's probably a month out (or so).

If you have specific suggestions for gear you want reviewed, we're happy to hear from you, so long as you understand that we might release 4-6 in-depth digital reviews per year. Also, the comments section of our online reviews has been live for some time; Larry Fine and I do read your comments.

Thanks for the response. I didn't mean not reviewing a large number of digital pianos as a criticism but rather noted it so the asker doesn't expect an exhaustive set. I've been very impressed with the reviews in the publication I've read, as well as some of the YouTube videos. I am curious why the Roland FP-90 didn't make it into the latest issue's Staff Picks given how I read the review, and I'll watch to see if the Dexibell makes the list in the next edition.

As for additional suggestions, I have a general one that isn't very practical, given what it would take to test. I'd like to know how a digital piano fares after a few months or more of daily practice by a serious student and above. That may be information best gleaned from forum and owners' experience, however. Finally, thanks for all the work and information you provide, and I'm looking forward to the Fall issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission