2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
16. Riddler (Ed) - Darn That Dream Your play reminds me so much of language. The natural inflections we apply to our words are always present in your performances. This is not a genre of music that I seek out, but, I always enjoy listening to you play it. Very well done!

17. JoBert - Sonata 25 (Opus 79) - 2nd Movement - Andante Listening to you, I feel like I know what Beethoven wanted me to hear. This is a wonderful piece of music and I really enjoyed your performance.

18. Tubbie0075 - La Colombe (the Dove) Well done. I was very impressed with the ways you made out the voices, especially the fluttering sounds.

25. sinophilia - Last Chance Blues You got so much right here, the languid tempo, the phrasing, and dynamics were all superb. Great choice and very nice performance.

26. Sandalholme - Prelude Op28 No15 (Erard 1849 piano) Most Chopin does not appeal to me, but this one is always enjoyable. Don't worry about your overspray, your play was still pleasurable and a nice listen.

27. Snejana - Hummingbird Memories In my first listen, I was struck by the tempo perfect descending broken chords, and my ear wanted something more to break it up into nice, smaller expressions. Maybe some pauses or dynamic variations. But, then, it occurred to me that the piece was titled “Hummingbird”, which seems to tie your hands somewhat. I'd like to hear this played without reference to the Hummingbird suggestion, with whatever phrasing and dynamics you could use to get a more expressive sound. That said, I think you still played this very well.

34. GoldmanT - Sebastian's Place I appreciate your ability to improvise, as, I am painfully aware of my own inability, so far. I look forward to the day that I can play a chord and make other sounds congruent with it.

35. Piano2138 - Witches and Wizards Well, it was fun listening, as well. You immediately conjured up images of Lerch from the Addams Family playing at his harpsichord. I'm glad you found time to put this one together. I'll be getting into the RCM materials very soon.

36. MeganR - Aria Bist du Bei Mir BWV 508 This was nice. I liked the left hand-right hand balance you maintained. I though the detached note playing in the left was very important to the piece. Well done!

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
P
P
So thankful for everyone's comments about my first submission to the recital! Someone asked if I'm a pathologist: I am. In fact, I have to recertify my boards sometime this week, so I won't have a lot of time to listen to everything--but I will very soon. Sounds like I will hear a lot of great things! thumb

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
25. sinophilia - Last Chance Blues

This was really nice. I enjoy Mier's work. Well done!

28. Monica K. - Elements

This fabulous! I might have try it some day smile

43. SwissMS/Doris - French Suite V - Gigue

Well played, I enjoyed watching and listening. Good luck on your exam smile I just start learning BWV 999. Will take quite some time to reach the recommended speed!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pathguy
So thankful for everyone's comments about my first submission to the recital! Someone asked if I'm a pathologist: I am. In fact, I have to recertify my boards sometime this week, so I won't have a lot of time to listen to everything--but I will very soon. Sounds like I will hear a lot of great things! thumb

Good luck on the board recert, pathguy!

Never ends!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
42. Keselo - Bed-Time Story thanks for the description. Like the ending with bells fading.

44. PianogrlNW - Sonata in B minor, K. 87 enjoyed it. Like the atmosphere created by using the minor scale .

48. Mr Super Hunky - All By Myself /Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 the fluency, the musicality, the arrangement and the recording quality, I just loved the whole package, also thanks for the intro. Hope one day I'll be able to learn it.

49. peterws - Far Away this is great! Felt like I was sitting in a concert hall.

50. PikaPianist - Scene Romantique Op. 101, No. 5 this was gorgeous! Both the piece itself and your performance.

52. Ralphiano (Ralph) - Prelude nice performance. Can't think of any critics this time due to my limited experience, but glad to see that you enjoyed the participation and making progress.

54. cmb13 - Craig - Well Tempered Clavier Prelude in C one of my fav pieces. Your performance was very fluent for 3 take only!

P
P
Originally Posted by cmb13
Originally Posted by pathguy

Good luck on the board recert, pathguy!

Never ends!

Ugg! I know---hopefully this will be the last time for an actual exam.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
43. SwissMS/Doris - French Suite V - Gigue That was impressive! Your video was instructive regarding relaxation in the wrists and arms. I hope the tempo you need for your exam comes to you.

44. PianogrlNW - Sonata in B minor, K. 87 Some very nice playing of what seems to me a very complex piece. I liked it enough to cause me to listen to some other renditions on YouTube. It seems there are a million artistic choices that must be made. Yours kept me interested and pleased throughout.

45. mel_lem (Melanie) - Etude No. 7 This was a lot of fun, really enjoyable! Well done!

53. Schinl / Schin Loong - "Chopin" from Schumann's Carnaval I didn't hear any of the buzzing you spoke of. I was so pleased to hear some Schumann that I liked. Up to this point, I had not been impressed with his music. But, yours, along with another in this recital have shown me two pieces that I really enjoy. And, your play was very nice.

54. cmb13 - Craig - Well Tempered Clavier Prelude in C Your last minute change of heart, and the spontaneity it brought was just fine. You played it well, the fact thay you can identify things that could have been better doesn't mean much. I'm glad you joined in at the last moment. Well done!

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Ralph, and others for listening and for the nice comments. This was a piece I've played so many times over the past year that it didn't require prep. One of my "repertoire" pieces; I'm trying develop more that I can just play at any time. Then maybe I'll feel like a pianist!

Let's all keep growing together!!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Last batch of the nonclassical pieces:

45. mel_lem (Melanie) - Etude No. 7: The word that came to mind while I was listening to this was “jaunty”. Usually I think of etudes as relatively joyless meanderings. This piece was anything BUT joyless, and I thought you played it well. Very catchy!

46. jotur/Cathy Turner - The Easy Winners: It’s so good to see you back in the recitals, Cathy! Yours is another catchy piece. It seems aptly named; there’s a relaxing, easy feel to the pace and rhythm of your playing. If memory serves me correctly, this is the longest piece you’ve submitted to the recitals—to have it all memorized is impressive!

47. SleepyBear - Powder Snow: I can hear the longing and poignancy of unrequited love in this piece. The “etude-like” hard part at 3:14 was worth waiting for… I loved the arpeggios. Very nice playing! The recording itself sounded pretty echo-y and twangy; maybe put a Zoom H2 on your Christmas list? 😉

48. Mr Super Hunky - All By Myself /Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18: This might have been my most-anticipated piece in the recital. 😊 You did not disappoint; your arrangement took a blend of hard-core classical music, modern day pop, along with a healthy dash of super-hunky flare, and the end result was pure listening pleasure. I’m really impressed at how smoothly and naturally all those ornamentations/embellishments flew from your fingers.

49. peterws - Far Away: I always enjoy listening to your compositions, Peter. This one is one of your best yet; it’s got an energetic, jazzy vibe on top of a smooth new age base. It reminded me a lot of the music by another Peter (Peter Kater), actually. Good stuff!

51. Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Tangerine: I would’ve been impressed to hear you played this off sheet music, but to hear that you *also* created this arrangement by ear, well: wow I wasn’t a big fan of the “bum-bum-bum” ending—it came across as abrupt, and I wish the piece were longer!—but the rest of it was fantastic.

Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
45. mel_lem (Melanie) - Etude No. 7 That was so good! A total toe tapper and head bobber, loved it1

46. jotur/Cathy Turner - The Easy Winners This sounds so hard, great job with it, glad you've decided to play what you love.

47. SleepyBear - Powder Snow Was not familiar with this composer or this piece, loved the drama after the first parts.

48. Mr Super Hunky - All By Myself /Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 So impressed at this wonderful version of the song/piece. Really enjoyed your fabulous playing.

49. peterws - Far Away Loved this composition - your performance was rich, just lovely.

50. PikaPianist - Scene Romantique Op. 101, No. 5 Sigh, what a beautiful piece, your playing is exquisite.

51. Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Tangerine I'm always impressed by those who can play by ear - my dad was one such. Really enjoyed.

52. Ralphiano (Ralph) - Prelude I certainly heard no brutishness here, very nice, clean sound. Can't wait to hear your next piece on your new piano!

53. Schinl / Schin Loong - "Chopin" from Schumann's Carnaval Beautiful, loved this piece.

54. cmb13 - Craig - Well Tempered Clavier Prelude in C Well done, enjoyed this somewhat faster tempo.

55. dddaaannn - Mignon, op. 68, no. 35 One of the (many) Schumann pieces on my favorites list, you played it beautifully.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Busy weekend, but now I can listen to more of the inspiring variety in this recital!

34. GoldmanT - Sebastian's Place
Marvelous evocation of one of my favorite movies (the original, of course). I think I see Pris....

35. Piano2138 - Witches and Wizards
Short but fun—I wanted more!

36. MeganR - Aria Bist du Bei Mir BWV 508
Majestic. I get why you love to play this, and you play it beautifully.

37. Piano_primo_1 - Elegy
Beautiful melody, played with feeling. I’m not a fan of artificial strings, but they seemed to fit here.

38. Balezin Dmitry - Valse d'Amelie
The melody comes through very sweetly; dynamics are good. Very impressive for less than 2 years!

39. Jouishy - Sonata in C major - K545 1st movement
You are doing great! I admire both your ambition and your execution. The sonata sounds wonderful.

40. Serge88 - The Entertainer
Played very stylishly, at a charming sauntering pace.

41. joangolfing - Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman"
Very clever pieces!

42. Keselo - Bed-Time Story
A charming piece; I liked both your playing and your analytical description. Now I have to go find the sheet music....!

Beautiful playing on a beautiful piano! Good luck with your exam; it sounds like you are well on your way.

44. PianogrlNW - Sonata in B minor, K. 87
I think I will end my evening by listening to this wonderful music over and over. A graceful end for a day with beautiful blue sky — goodbye to wildfire smoke, at least for a few days!

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
S
S
31. EdmondRhapsody - Mission Impossible Theme
That was fun! Really nice job!

32. tjbron (Tom) - Nocturne in F sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2 l
Very lovely treatment of a somewhat lesser known Chopin Nocturne. Great work!

33. noobpianist90 - Sonatina in C Major - Op. 36 No. 3
I have nothing but positive things to say about your performance here. Your good technique is definitely the exception rather than the rule for a self learner. Really fine job!

Your playing was fine. But I’m sorry, I just couldn’t get into this improvisation. It wasn’t the dissonance; rather I just failed to hear any structure or much of a pattern here to hold my interest.

Nice little etude. It’s good that you’re continuing, despite your not having played much recently. Continuity is the key—don’t stop playing!

Good job, Megan! It sounded pretty darned smooth to me! So I wasn’t able to detect where that “trouble spot” (that you’ve had in the past) was.

37. Piano_primo_1 - Elegy
Sounded pleasant enough. My only reservation was that, in my opinion, the beautiful piano melody was muddied by doubling it with the cheesy synth string accompaniment. Piano alone would have sounded clearer and more profound.

I think you did a really nice job with this piece, although I can’t say I was familiar with it previously. But it seems obvious from your playing that you have a feel for it. Well done!

I think you did a wonderful job with this deceptively difficult piece—especially given how long you’ve been playing. Your playing was very even and a pleasure to listen to. Could the tempo be brought up a bit? Sure, but you’ll get there eventually. Keep up the great work!

I don’t especially enjoy ragtime, but I do know it’s not easy to play. And I think you played this very well.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks so much to all of you who have welcomed me back and commented on my piece -

peterws - "almost there" - and it's a little closer now that I've taken some time off from it and let it settle in! Whew!

Monica K - it's probably a little longer than my others because it's a little slower :\ laugh

Riddler - pssst, bro - you left off Einaudi <snort>

Thanks again - I'm feeling a little more upbeat than I did before the recital.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Now I’ve heard everything! Well, in Recital 51 anyway.

45. mel_lem (Melanie) - Etude No. 7
Spritely, fun sounding piece! Great choice, great performance!

46. jotur/Cathy Turner - The Easy Winners
Thank you for sharing this wonderful music! It feels as if you have done most of the hard work already and this is quickly going to get better and better and then it will be stupendous!

47. SleepyBear - Powder Snow
Interesting piece! You played it with great style and commitment. (I agree that the recording didn’t do justice to the sound of your piano, or if it did, maybe the piano needs some attention?)

48. Mr Super Hunky - All By Myself /Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18
Really beautiful sound. I am in awe of your improvisation. I, too, want to know if you were grinning during the glissandos! (Glissandi?)

49. peterws - Far Away
Love those surprising little dissonances! An amazing composition or improvisation.

50. PikaPianist - Scene Romantique Op. 101, No. 5
Beautiful playing of this Sibelius piece that is new to me; thanks for this!

51. Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Tangerine
Wonderful! I think I remember this melody from a television advertisement about fifty years ago. “Why don’t you/ be a Sego girl ....”

52. Ralphiano (Ralph) - Prelude
Good job setting down the power tools to play this lovely piece with such finesse!

53. Schinl / Schin Loong - "Chopin" from Schumann's Carnaval
Sensitive and elegant playing, beautiful sound; I love this!

54. cmb13 - Craig - Well Tempered Clavier Prelude in C
Nice pace that brings out some of the ripples of sound that I like in this piece.

55. dddaaannn - Mignon, op. 68, no. 35
Love this piece; it is on my “aspirations” list. You played it very nicely. A good end to Recital no. 51!

I will try to show up with something for no. 52!

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
S
S
When I first began taking piano lessons, I remember seeing this piece in an Alfred book and thought, “Oh. ‘Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star’. How hard can this be?” Wrong! I remember struggling to play all 12 of the variations evenly and fluidly. To this day, I have no idea what this piece was/is doing in a beginner’s book.
As for your performance of a few more of these variations, Joan, I think you’re doing a really good job! Keep it up!

I’m impressed with how well you played this, especially given how long you’ve been playing. And personally I think the balance between your two hands was perfect. Well done!

This is a tough piece—but then, it IS Bach after all. And I think you’re doing great with it! If you’re open to a suggestion as to how you might polish this piece further, here’s one: this is a gigue, which of course should be performed in the style of a dance. To achieve that, think about how you can get more of a playful lilt to the piece via your articulation in accord with its compound 12/8 time signature. But you’re already well on your way in your learning the tougher aspects of this piece, most notably the counterpoint. So, really nice work, Doris!

I think your performance was just lovely! I know that there are those purists out there who would say that the damper pedal should be used only sparingly or not at all with Baroque music. But I happen to think that your more generous use of the pedal was absolutely the perfect amount for this piece. Very impressive work!

Wow! Very cute little piece. And your performance sounded flawless. Great job!

I’m not really a fan of ragtime. But I do understand the technical challenges it imposes. And while you’re still getting this piece together (as evidenced by the hesitations here and there), I think you’re doing a really good job with it! Keep at it!

I’m afraid that your piano sounds like it hasn’t been tuned in years. There are others here who commented on your recording technique, but there simply is no technique out there that can compensate for a piano this out of tune. That being said, I think your skill is quite evident, and the piece is a very nice one. Really fine job with your playing! I hope you’ll showcase it in the future with a better cared for piano.

I was a pop music fan for years before I took an interest in classical music. So I was actually shocked when I first heard the second movement from Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 and instantly recognized the source for Eric Carmen’s “All By Myself” melody. I was likewise shocked to hear the source for Carmen’s “Never Gonna Fall In Love Again” in the third movement of Rachmaninoff’s Second Symphony. Carmen was clearly a big “Rach ‘N Roller”.

As for your improvisational approach here, it was interesting. Nice job.

49. peterws - Far Away
I enjoyed your work here, Peter. I especially like your opening chords, which definitely drew me in. But I was a little surprised by your switching to a blues scale a little ways into the piece.

Not a huge Sibelius fan, and I myself found this composition not to be especially engaging. But your performance of it was, as always, quite lovely. Great job!

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I'm really behind on the listening. It's been a very hectic month for me. I hope to get time to listen this weekend. However, in the meantime...

Originally Posted by Balezin Dmitry
Very light touch and vivid playing! I liked the sound of this classical piece. Very confident playing. I can easily imagine you play this in a concert hall.
Thank you. The confidence mainly comes from unreasonably amounts of repeated practice grin

Originally Posted by Sam S
Incredibly smooth and elegant!
Thank you.

Originally Posted by schinl
I used to play this piece, but upon hearing yours I realized I've been playing it way too clunky and heavy! You made it sound so delicate and sweet, and such a pleasure to listen to.
Well, the tricky part is to ensure that the accompaniment in the left hand is subdued and the melody of the right hand is more pronounced, irrespective of the dynamics indicated on the sheet. Although if the melody switches to the left hand, it should be brought out accordingly.

Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Beautiful playing with good technique, tempo, dynamics and phrasing. I thought it was flawless performance. Bravo!
Thank you.

Originally Posted by cmb13
Nicely played, great job. Those sonantinas a relentless! Takes a lot of concentration. Great playing.
Thank you. Indeed, it does take a lot of concentration for long pieces, even if they're not technically very challenging. It's difficult to imagine professionals playing hours and hours of virtuoso music.

Originally Posted by peterws
Played like a pro. Very fluent; nothing more can I say. Sometimes on here, I hear something I really want play . . . . Your piano sparkles, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the VPC-1. Quite fancy one . . . .
Thank you. The VPC-1, yes I'm very happy with it for the keyboard action. The pedal is quite disappointing though.

Originally Posted by Qwerty53
The whole thing sounded wonderful. I especially appreciated the contemplative pace of the adagio.
Thank you. I too liked the contemplative pacing. It feels a lot more soothing to me.

Originally Posted by Ralphiano
Really super, loved your light touch, very lively and convincing.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by MeganR
Really super, loved your light touch, very lively and convincing.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by piano_primo_1
Excellent playing and recording. Enjoyed the piece and how well it was done.e.g. tempo exact, dynamics were steady and clarity of sound!
Thank you. Though I must say, the clarity has more to do with the Pianoteq settings than my playing grin

Originally Posted by SwissMS
I love this happy sonatina. It is probably my favorite from op. 36. You do a lovely job with it. Your articulation is crisp and clear, and you runs sound effortless. Great playing.
This is one of my favourites as well. I also like No. 4 a lot. Also, let me assure you, the runs only sound effortless. They took a lot of effort before they sounded that way grin

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Wow, another long piece, lol. I really like Clementi, he's underrated I think. Very well played.
Thank you. I think the majority of the people who play Clementi pieces only play the Op. 36 No. 1 and don't really look into his other pieces before moving on to Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin. I like his music a lot. It doesn't take as much effort to play as the aforementioned composers, but still sounds really nice.

Originally Posted by SMA55
I have nothing but positive things to say about your performance here. Your good technique is definitely the exception rather than the rule for a self learner. Really fine job!
Thank you.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thank you, peterws, MeganR, RalphL, SwissMS, SMA55, Ralphiano for your appreciative comments. Glad you enjoyed it. Amazing Peter that 2 Erards were for sale in what I think is a small place. Have you come across Ax's peformance of Chopin's 2 concerti and other works on a (real) 1846 Erard? Worth listening to. SMA55, yes, Pianoteq divides people but it is improving all the time. My preference is software which is most like an acoustic to play. I can live with the sound, which after all is better than any acoustic I could afford.

S
S
Thank you everyone for donating time to listen to my piece: Powder Snow. It's definitely unique and beautiful, but I've noticed that a general consensus of people strongly dislike my recording method. During the recital, I was torn on recording methods because it was either that way of recording, or recording in a piano software MIDI in Fruity Loops DAW that would sound like an electronic-y piano.

This was my first Piano World recital ever, and maybe this issue was covered in the past, so any clarification from anyone would be cool.

At first I was all for the computerized recording method because I knew my piano was out of tune (it hasn't been tuned in a decade) and recording it through IPhone is even worse, but then I noticed that Piano World strongly suggests that you do a live performance on your piece for the spirit of live, unedited playing. If I decided to record on the MIDI software using a DAW, how could anyone truly know if I edited it or not? They would just have to trust my word that I played the whole thing live on my own, when really I could've done 100 retakes in 1 section of the song and edit it together without disclosing that information. If someone accused me of editing the performance, how could I prove or disprove their claim when MIDI/Fruity Loops is pretty much made for editing?

In light of that reasoning, my only way of capturing a "Proof of live" performance was with the lower quality IPhone stuff.

In spite of all this, I purchased Pianoteq 6 and it sounds amazing. I plan to use that for the next recital if there is one.

I feel like my recording and piano did a strong disservice to Powder Snow that may have skewed peoples' judgments on how good this piece is, so I'll put a link to the official performance of it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMvMlIcdLKw

S
S
Originally Posted by SleepyBear
Thank you everyone for donating time to listen to my piece: Powder Snow. It's definitely unique and beautiful, but I've noticed that a general consensus of people strongly dislike my recording method. During the recital, I was torn on recording methods because it was either that way of recording, or recording in a piano software MIDI in Fruity Loops DAW that would sound like an electronic-y piano.

This was my first Piano World recital ever, and maybe this issue was covered in the past, so any clarification from anyone would be cool.

At first I was all for the computerized recording method because I knew my piano was out of tune (it hasn't been tuned in a decade) and recording it through IPhone is even worse, but then I noticed that Piano World strongly suggests that you do a live performance on your piece for the spirit of live, unedited playing. If I decided to record on the MIDI software using a DAW, how could anyone truly know if I edited it or not? They would just have to trust my word that I played the whole thing live on my own, when really I could've done 100 retakes in 1 section of the song and edit it together without disclosing that information. If someone accused me of editing the performance, how could I prove or disprove their claim when MIDI/Fruity Loops is pretty much made for editing?

In light of that reasoning, my only way of capturing a "Proof of live" performance was with the lower quality IPhone stuff.

In spite of all this, I purchased Pianoteq 6 and it sounds amazing. I plan to use that for the next recital if there is one.

I feel like my recording and piano did a strong disservice to Powder Snow that may have skewed peoples' judgments on how good this piece is, so I'll put a link to the official performance of it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMvMlIcdLKw

This subject has come up in past recitals. Digital recording is perfectly acceptable here. Participants are encouraged to submit live, unedited performances. But there are no police here. So, if someone chooses to edit their recording, who’s going to care? The only person who should care is the person who submitted the edited recording, because they themself will know that they are trying to push it off as a live recording. Period. Occasionally people have submitted stitched together or otherwise edited recordings and have revealed this in their notes. I think that kind of disclosure is a good thing. But this recital is not a competition, and there are no prizes. So people are free to do as their consciences dictate.

I often don't have much to say, but I like to just put a little line so you know I've listened to you and enjoyed it, even though I don't have constructive feedback to give. smile

I also want to thanks everyone who left comments on my interpretation! You really cheered me up as I'm a little bit disappointed with myself (I sometimes listen back to it enjoying it, and at other times, I'm very critical). But I guess it is not so bad considering my experience, and that I will be able to get better over time and manage something better with that piece (and others).
This is very encouraging to get your feedback.

20. Ralph L. - A thousand years
Nice. Calm. Very enjoyable.

21. Handyman - North American Medley: America, the Beautiful and O Canada
I don’t have much to comment, but it was nice to listen to. smile

22. akc42 / Alan Chandler - J.S Bach Invention No 8
Conservative tempo, but it is fluid. I think you shared a previous version on the forum and I see a great improvement. It was very clean (except a little stubble, but it doesn’t ruin the ensemble at all!).

23. Tootles - Beauty and the Beast
Ah! Disney songs were almost all I was playing younger. It reminds me a lot of memories. Nicely done.

24. LisztAddict - Elegie Op 3 NO 1
Oh! I didn’t know that piece. It doesn’t look easy, but it doesn’t sound so hard either. Maybe I could try it one day. There are nice dynamics and mood in this. Really liked it!

25. sinophilia - Last Chance Blues
It was smooth and enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

26. Sandalholme - Prelude Op28 No15 (Erard 1849 piano)
Nice piano sound.

27. Snejana - Hummingbird Memories
It is simple, yet, I love the sound of your piece. Thanks for sharing.

28. Monica K. - Elements
I’ve learnt on the forum about Enaudi. Still haven’t check it out, but I like the samples I get from the recital. There is a nice mood in your piece. Definitely liking it!

29. Greywullf - Lyric Pieces
Grieg. Definitely a composer I want to dive in at some point (too many nice pieces out there!). Love it!

30. fishandchips - Invention 11 in G minor BWV 782
An invention we hear less often. It seemed well mastered, and inventions can be very tricky. We can hear very well the two voices. The only thing I disliked a little bit was the ornaments, that sounded a little bit harsh (I don’t know how to really describe it). Overall, it was really nice!

31. EdmondRhapsody - Mission Impossible Theme
Quite a change of pace from the previous submissions, ahah! Nicely done.

32. tjbron (Tom) - Nocturne in F sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2
I’m in love with Chopin’s nocturnes! That was a very nice interpretation.

33. noobpianist90 - Sonatina in C Major - Op. 36 No. 3
Your interpretation made me smile. It is very light and joyful. This is hard to make classical-era music sound so light. Wonderful ornaments. You really don’t deserve your nickname! laugh

Interesting sound. I would definitely see that piece in the soundtrack of an old movie. laugh

The title of the piece fits it entirely. Nice interpretation.

Very nicely done!

37. Piano_primo_1 – Elegy
I was very surprised to hear to different sounds. Nice arrangement and nicely played.

A now very classic piece, but always cute. Your interpretation doesn’t demerit from the other we can hear everywhere, which is something to be proud of, when speaking of pieces we hear often. smile

That would be me!

My first teacher made practice that piece. And gosh is it hard! In this simplified version, it should be more manageable. But still, ragtime is sometime overlooked, but it is far from easy. This was nicely done!

That’s a nice work in progress and I’m sure you’ll get them to where you want in the coming months. smile

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

43. SwissMS/Doris - French Suite V – Gigue
I can feel it is not perfect, but it is a nice work in progress. You should definetely have something nice to present at your exam in november! There’s a lot of work that is already done and the most of it is done. Some minor improvements in the months to come and you’ll be good to go! laugh

Nicely played! Thanks for sharing.

I really love the mood of the piece. It brings smile on my face. Really nice playing. Thanks!

Nice and catchy. Thanks for sharing.

Putting apart the bad sound of the recording (I’m not sure if it is because of the iphone or the piano itself), it was nicely done.

Love it!
I remember listening to the concerto once and telling my teacher “I know that part, but I don’t where I heard it!” and he told me to go listen to Céline Dion, ahah!

49. peterws - Far Away
I really enjoyed your playing. Thanks for sharing.

Really nice piece. Thanks for sharing.

51. Yamaha G3 & P-80 – Tangerine
Really enjoyed listening to you. Thanks for sharing.

52. Ralphiano (Ralph) – Prelude
Never heard of that composer! You did a great job with the piece. I really enjoyed it.

53. Schinl / Schin Loong - "Chopin" from Schumann's Carnaval
Very good imo. Loved it!

54. cmb13 - Craig - Well Tempered Clavier Prelude in C
It is a very cute piece. A little bit fast for my taste, but it is a personal preference. wink

55. dddaaannn - Mignon, op. 68, no. 35
Didn’t know that piece. Very lovely!

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission