2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
72 members (Beowulf, Bruce In Philly, Boboulus, BadDude, BeeZee4, BenM, accordeur, CoogerTown, 20/20 Vision, 12 invisible), 542 guests, and 476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Considering a Hamburg Steinway B
Markarian #2760352 08/22/18 05:49 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Markarian
I've always wondered what happens to the piano buyer overseas that's like "No, actually like the sound of the New York ones better," when they talk to a Steinway dealer. Are they up a creek? I suppose if they're rich enough they get flown to NY for selection?

I've seen plenty of people on here in the US who wanted a Hamburg Steinway, but haven't heard much the other way around.

I grew up in Asia. From my own observation, which by no means is authoritative, I think there are several categories of people's awareness worth dissecting:

1. People who are unaware, or simply don't care, what piano(s) is being used in the concerts or recordings they listen to;
2. People who know the brand Steinway; (let's exclude people's awareness of other top-tier brands for simplicity)
3. People who know Steinways come out from two different factories;
4. People who actually know the difference of playing on a NY vs playing on a Hamburg (assuming there is really a categorical difference, which has been debated).

In my experience, numbers of people in each category are 1 > 2 > 3 >> 4.

Also, not everyone is able to buy a new Steinway; rebuilt market is not always healthy in every country. For those who can afford one and want one, probably more of them are in 1 - 3 instead of 4.

It also comes down to availability: even if an aspiring (young) pianist, with (family's, own) financial means, wants to get one, if every Steinway he/she encounters comes from Hamburg, how is he/she going to know what it is like to play on a NY Steinway, let alone to pick one?

To me personally, many recordings I listened to, when young, were by pianists based in Europe (Argerich, Pollini, Ashkenazy, etc.) The tone of presumably Hamburg Steinways, however they were prepped, was the one I was most familiar with. However two pianists' tone stood out big time (very likely due to the pianists then the pianos): Horowitz's, and Fleisher's. There was simply no opportunity to try on a NY Steinway where I grew up.

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Davdoc #2760358 08/22/18 06:06 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Davdoc
I've always wondered what happens to the piano buyer overseas that's like "No, actually like the sound of the New York ones better," when they talk to a Steinway dealer. Are they up a creek? I suppose if they're rich enough they get flown to NY for selection?

I've seen plenty of people on here in the US who wanted a Hamburg Steinway, but haven't heard much the other way around.

I grew up in Asia. From my own observation, which by no means is authoritative, I think there are several categories of people's awareness worth dissecting:

1. People who are unaware, or simply don't care, what piano(s) is being used in the concerts or recordings they listen to;
2. People who know the brand Steinway; (let's exclude people's awareness of other top-tier brands for simplicity)
3. People who know Steinways come out from two different factories;
4. People who actually know the difference of playing on a NY vs playing on a Hamburg (assuming there is really a categorical difference, which has been debated).

In my experience, numbers of people in each category are 1 > 2 > 3 >> 4.

Also, not everyone is able to buy a new Steinway; rebuilt market is not always healthy in every country. For those who can afford one and want one, probably more of them are in 1 - 3 instead of 4.

It also comes down to availability: even if an aspiring (young) pianist, with (family's, own) financial means, wants to get one, if every Steinway he/she encounters comes from Hamburg, how is he/she going to know what it is like to play on a NY Steinway, let alone to pick one?

To me personally, many recordings I listened to, when young, were by pianists based in Europe (Argerich, Pollini, Ashkenazy, etc.) The tone of presumably Hamburg Steinways, however they were prepped, was the one I was most familiar with. However two pianists' tone stood out big time (very likely due to the pianists then the pianos): Horowitz's, and Fleisher's. There was simply no opportunity to try on a NY Steinway where I grew up.

I was definitely going to mention recordings, Horowitz in particular. But as I seem to recall his D was a bit of an outlier in terms of tone and the way it was voiced. Whenever I mention NY vs Hamburg I usually use Rachmaninoff and Gershwin as musicians whose style was honed (at least in large part) on the NY Steinway sound.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Sub 37 | Behringer DeepMind 12 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 | Korg Prologue
James Guo #2760368 08/22/18 07:08 PM
Online Content
Just rarely seen NY Steinways on concert stages around the world. I don’t think it’s a question of availability, because even Yamaha concert grands are seen everywhere and much more preferred than NY Steinways

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
James Guo #2760374 08/22/18 07:51 PM
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Markarian, both gould and horowitz had their steinways modified to suit them, specifically with their actions. gould liked horowitz's personal piano, indicating they had similar preferences. from anecdotes about 'golden age' grands (and our 1919 mason & hamlin with original action confirms the anecdotes), many had lighter and more responsive actions than what became more customary post ww-2. horowitz' 'straight/flattened finger' technique, generally not recommended for average practitioners, might be explained in terms of the lighter actions he favoured.

huaidongxi #2760394 08/22/18 09:23 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by huaidongxi
Markarian, both gould and horowitz had their steinways modified to suit them, specifically with their actions. gould liked horowitz's personal piano, indicating they had similar preferences. from anecdotes about 'golden age' grands (and our 1919 mason & hamlin with original action confirms the anecdotes), many had lighter and more responsive actions than what became more customary post ww-2. horowitz' 'straight/flattened finger' technique, generally not recommended for average practitioners, might be explained in terms of the lighter actions he favoured.

I have heard his action was feather light, I think my tech was telling me about it and had a chance to look at that piano at one point many years ago

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Sub 37 | Behringer DeepMind 12 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 | Korg Prologue
huaidongxi #2760401 08/22/18 09:44 PM
M
M

@huaidongxi,

Yes, you are right -- as only Horowitz could play like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N04Y_9bee4

Note the sigh of relief as he walks off stage!

James Guo #2760625 08/23/18 10:59 PM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
Gould wanted a Steinway that had the sensitivities of a Chickering action. He grew up with a Model 116 Chickering and wore it completely out. When in good order that era Chickering played very fast with superb soft control. Better than Steinway because there was no rubbing friction at the repetition or jack spring like Steinway has. Plus the Chickering was rather low on inertia.

Franz Mohr remarked to me that Horowitz was very reluctant to let him install new hammers when they had become worn. I replied that was because when the hammers got lighter, the inertia became less and this improved control and repetition. Mohr ignored my remark.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
huaidongxi #2760668 08/24/18 07:03 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

1. Lighter does not necessarily mean more responsive.
2. I think Horowitz's flat fingered technique developed long before he had a choice of how light the touch of the pianos he played on would be.

Joseph Fleetwood #2760773 08/24/18 04:59 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by joe80
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh
I wonder if Bösendorfer has an american manufacture, their american 214VC model may have a more singing tone than the clinical tone of an austrian one ha

BTW, Steinway keep saying that 97% of concert pianists choose Steinway. If it's true, I wonder how many % of those Steinways are NY made...

Bösendorfer makes all their pianos at their Wiener Neustadt, Austria factory.

Steve

It was a joke, a good humoured joke from a Hamburg Steinway owner regarding what I had said about some Hamburg Steinway B's I have come across....

Thanks for letting me in on the "joke."

Bösendorfer 170
James Guo #2760969 08/25/18 06:11 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
For me, to take a car analogy, the question of either a used 2014 New York B @ 56 bucks vs. a flame new Hamburg B @ 100 bucks is to compare a used Ford against a new Benz E class....

Sorry to say.

I'd go for the Ford, provided....

...that the matter of "more consistency" in the New York pianos is a matter of "having started 2013 or earlier", and not a matter of "2015 or later"... I actually am not in the mid of the picture WHEN EXACTLY they started the process to make the New York pianos "more consistently" and adapt several Hamburg processes.

So the interesting things are two.

is the new Hamburg B the "normal new one", i.e. to select it from the Rondenbarg plant selection fleet of 8 ... 10 ... 12 new Bs..., or is it a piano which is singular.

If to be chosen in Hamburg, that seems to be a fine chance and a sure bet. There in Hamburg, Rondenbarg, looking around over 10...12 new Bs, You will always find a new Hamburg B that will please you for the rest of your life.

The other interesting thing is the year 2014, related to NYC manufacturing quality.

In the end ... it leads to ONE piano and it's characteristics.

Can you chose between two fine pianos, or between one fine used one and 10...12 fine new ones...

Pls excuse any bad english.

Centennial D Sept 1877

Working on Berceuse op.57
Nocturnes op. 9-1,3 15-1,2,3 27-2 32-1,2
Going Home (Mark Knopfler)
Ed McMorrow, RPT #2760978 08/25/18 07:10 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Franz Mohr remarked to me that Horowitz was very reluctant to let him install new hammers when they had become worn. I replied that was because when the hammers got lighter, the inertia became less and this improved control and repetition. Mohr ignored my remark.

Horowitz always had his way in regards to how the action was regulated on his Steinway D. grin

BerndAB #2760985 08/25/18 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by BerndAB
I'd go for the Ford, provided...that the matter of "more consistency" in the New York pianos is a matter of "having started 2013 or earlier", and not a matter of "2015 or later"... I actually am not in the mid of the picture WHEN EXACTLY they started the process to make the New York pianos "more consistently" and adapt several Hamburg processes.
IMO this is only marginally important. Even if this particular piano falls into the period of greater consistency it could still be less than great. Even if this piano falls into the period of less consistency it could be very good. An experienced tech could help decide about the qualities of this particular instrument.

pianoloverus #2760987 08/25/18 07:35 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
And one that seems less than great could end up being greater with use. That happens, particularly with Steinways.

Semipro Tech
BerndAB #2760993 08/25/18 07:58 PM
Online Content
For me, to take a car analogy, the question of either a used 2014 New York B @ 56 bucks vs. a flame new Hamburg B @ 100 bucks is to compare a used Ford against a new Benz E class....

Quite right!

I'd go for the used Ford too. It's a good car anyway.

And to compare a brand new NY B vs. a brand new Hamburg B is like a new Ford vs. a new Benz E. If you have $, it's not difficult to decide!

Dave Ferris #2761034 08/26/18 12:12 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I'm finding myself being drawn to the more American tone of the older, classic Baldwins and Masons. Might just be a current stage I'm going through. I would feel differently if I were a classical player.

@Dave,

As a classical pianist have always thought the older Baldwins and Masons sounded better than Steinway! thumb

pianoloverus #2761070 08/26/18 06:19 AM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I'd go for the Ford, provided...that the matter of "more consistency" in the New York pianos is a matter of "having started 2013 or earlier", and not a matter of "2015 or later"... I actually am not in the mid of the picture WHEN EXACTLY they started the process to make the New York pianos "more consistently" and adapt several Hamburg processes.
IMO this is only marginally important. Even if this particular piano falls into the period of greater consistency it could still be less than great. Even if this piano falls into the period of less consistency it could be very good. An experienced tech could help decide about the qualities of this particular instrument.

As I said, P-L-US, non-quoted part..., "In the end ... it leads to ONE piano and it's characteristics."
;-)

The question is, to compare two pianos - and potentially make a bad decision... - , or to be able to chose between 10...12.... etc.

Or would you, equipped with the golden ticket of piano lottery, go to Hamburg to select your flame new S&S B HH make, but also take your piano tech with you "for safety purpose"..., anxiously shivering to make no false decision there in the holy selection room...

;-)

Pls excuse any bad english.

Centennial D Sept 1877

Working on Berceuse op.57
Nocturnes op. 9-1,3 15-1,2,3 27-2 32-1,2
Going Home (Mark Knopfler)
BerndAB #2761233 08/27/18 12:37 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

[/quote]

Bernd,

Sorry to say.

I'd go for the Ford, provided....

...that the matter of "more consistency" in the New York pianos is a matter of "having started 2013 or earlier", and not a matter of "2015 or later"... I actually am not in the mid of the picture WHEN EXACTLY they started the process to make the New York pianos "more consistently" and adapt several Hamburg processes.

So the interesting things are two.

is the new Hamburg B the "normal new one", i.e. to select it from the Rondenbarg plant selection fleet of 8 ... 10 ... 12 new Bs..., or is it a piano which is singular.

If to be chosen in Hamburg, that seems to be a fine chance and a sure bet. There in Hamburg, Rondenbarg, looking around over 10...12 new Bs, You will always find a new Hamburg B that will please you for the rest of your life.

The other interesting thing is the year 2014, related to NYC manufacturing quality.

In the end ... it leads to ONE piano and it's characteristics.

Can you chose between two fine pianos, or between one fine used one and 10...12 fine new ones...

Bernd, as I stated before the process to bring Hamburg and New York into more consistency during manufacturing started around 2009-2010. We can safely say the B he is considering is recent enough to benefit from all the new changes (new plate cast, extra layer in case...) if it's over a year newer than mine.

Markarian #2761239 08/27/18 02:56 AM
Online Content

Bernd, as I stated before the process to bring Hamburg and New York into more consistency during manufacturing started around 2009-2010. We can safely say the B he is considering is recent enough to benefit from all the new changes (new plate cast, extra layer in case...) if it's over a year newer than mine.

It will never make NY S&S becomes Hamburg

Last edited by trandinhnamanh; 08/27/18 03:00 AM.

James Guo #2761311 08/27/18 11:23 AM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
Well I must point out that an extra layer of veneer in the case will have no material effect on a piano built like a Steinway. I have had enough experience rebuilding specific models of pianos with differing rim compositions used over their history to feel confident in dispelling sales nonsense like that.

Differences in castings can be profound.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
trandinhnamanh #2761325 08/27/18 12:36 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh

It will never make NY S&S becomes Hamburg

Nor should it ever. There's good reasons the two are different, and like so many things on this forum it comes down to personal taste, where you live, and how rich you are.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Action: Yamaha P-515 vs. Kawai VPC1
by SamG - 05/28/20 02:49 PM
Some interesting opportunities
by BDB - 05/28/20 02:30 PM
New-ish rental Y b2
by Maestro Lennie - 05/28/20 02:17 PM
Mozart sonatas - Barenreiter vs. Wiener
by skern49 - 05/28/20 01:52 PM
Native Instruments 50% off upgrades and updates
by newer player - 05/28/20 01:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,238
Posts2,963,205
Members97,214
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission