Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
90 registered members (ando, Alex Hutor, Byrneand, Bett, BethRH, 28 invisible), 1,252 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: SMA55] #2760598
08/23/18 06:42 PM
08/23/18 06:42 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by SMA55
15. Ted Jones - Improvisation
I can certainly appreciate the skill you have at improvising, as well as your technical ability. But I must be honest and say that pure improvisation sounds and feels to me like aimless meandering with little to no apparent motive or organization. In my view, music with a stream of consciousness approach alone is a lazy man’s means to composition/performance, in that little planning or thought is required to do it. In that sense, perhaps a better term for it would be “stream of unconsciousness composing/performance”. The music that results is indulgent, lacks a framework or context, and like an animal without a skeleton, it can’t support much weight and just sort of limply crumbles to the ground. Furthermore, by its very nature, it never pushes the improviser to perform or compose beyond one’s present technical ability—because one can only play what one can already play, as it were. But don’t misconstrue what I’m saying. It’s not that I think improvisation is without merit; I think applied judiciously within a framework, it allows a composition to be adaptable to the moment, to be a living and breathing entity. And the classical tradition’s body of work, with our modern emphasis on precise and authentic recitation of it, largely lacks these attributes, and as a result may well eventually go the route of the dinosaur. But from what you’ve indicated, Ted, you yourself love your own approach at improvisation, and it gives you pleasure. So it really matters little what I or anyone else thinks.

Thank you for taking considerable time and thought to explain your view on free improvisation as an art form. In person or elsewhere within forums we could have a mutually enlightening discussion concerning the issues you raise, but the recital thread is probably not the right place. I cannot align with much of what you say, but there is only one point I take the trouble to remark upon briefly. I played much orthodox, difficult music in my youth and wrote and played a huge poultice of similarly structured piano music over the following three or four decades. I can assure you there is nothing lazy about the work I have put into my free improvisation over the last decade. Compared to what went before, I have never worked so hard at anything musical in my life. But thanks again, I far prefer honest responses to my playing.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760603
08/23/18 07:14 PM
08/23/18 07:14 PM
Calgary, Canada
Ralph L. Offline
Ralph L.  Offline

Calgary, Canada
33. noobpianist90 - Sonatina in C Major - Op. 36 No. 3 to me, it's flawless, the fluency, Rhythmic, etc...how did you manage to record such a long piece with no mistake? I can see myself swearing at minute 7 that I made another mistake and need to re-do:)

34. GoldmanT - Sebastian's Place is this the sound of e-piano? So mysterious, very cool. Could be good for thriller movie

35. Piano2138 - Witches and Wizards very vivid. When I listened to this, I could picture the Witches.

36. MeganR - Aria Bist du Bei Mir BWV 508 calm and steady piece. Well done.

37. Piano_primo_1 - Elegy definitely yay!! downloaded to My phone.

38. Balezin Dmitry - Valse d'Amelie
Pretty fluent esp at such a high tempo.

Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760626
08/23/18 11:08 PM
08/23/18 11:08 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Florida
45. mel_lem (Melanie) - Etude No. 7
Melanie, well done, especially the unison section. My teacher is always telling me to play jazz solo lines in unison. I always say uh huh. I'm sure you see why. Well done.

46. jotur/Cathy Turner - The Easy Winners
Cathy, yes, three cheers for the comeback! It's really great to see you here again. I was just thinking that there are two composers who are always welcome on piano world, namely, Chopin and Joplin. (The op-in guys). Your playing does not sound at all wimpy. Well done!

47. SleepyBear - Powder Snow
Sleepybear, wow, I see what you mean about drawing you in with an easy beginning, then building up to an ending that is much harder. Very dramatic. Sounds difficult but also enjoyable to listen to. Well done.

48. Mr Super Hunky - All By Myself /Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18
Wow, very intense, very dramatic, very satisfying. Romanticism in spades. By the way there was another great song taken from Rach2 called Full Moon and Empty Arms. Erroll Garner used to play it and I loved it. This one is terrific too. Well done.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Keselo] #2760656
08/24/18 04:46 AM
08/24/18 04:46 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Keselo

15. Ted Jones - Improvisation – I love the temperament that your improvisation has. At times, it seems keen to gently take you with it, but then a sudden jerk drags you to this new idea. I absolutely loved it.

Thanks for listening and I am pleased you enjoyed it. My music is clearly not for everyone but as long as a few continue to like it I shall post the odd fragment in the recitals.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760660
08/24/18 05:53 AM
08/24/18 05:53 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
01. Jason Lenthe – Spanish Dance No. 4 (Albeniz) Thanks for sharing this discovery. This dance is really beautiful and pleasant to listen to, and it sounds as if it is fun to play. Maybe I will try it myself.

02. SMA55 – Prelude and Fugue C minor (Bach) A technically brilliant performance I enjoyed very much. Though I am not at all a Bach expert and did not look at the sheet music, I had the impression that the high notes in the prelude sticked out a little to much, and some of them could be a little bit longer. But maybe I am completely wrong since I do not know that much about Bach’s music.

20. Ralph L. – A thousand years from “Twilight” This is a very impressive rendition for somebody who plays the piano for only 18 months. Fantastically played! A very tender and touching tune. Thanks for sharing.

28. Monika K. – Elements (Einaudi) One of Einaudi’s great merits is the fact that his music brought so many people back to playing the piano, and that cannot be underestimated. Most of his pieces are feasible for amateurs, pleasing and modern but not vanguardistic. I am not an Einaudi lover but I must admit that his music has some certain something I cannot explain. Those who say his music is boring make it too easy on themselves. One should not be too quick with a judgement.

36. MeganR – Aria “Bist du bei mir” (Stoelzel) I first thought this piece was by Bach, but no. Your Everett spinet sounds good and you are mastering this piece very well. I think your recording is perfect. I wonder what you think your recording “should be” or “should sound like”. You cannot do it much better without renting a professional recording studio with a concert grand.

42. Keselo – Bed time story (Khachaturian) I like it when people play pieces by “less” famous composers. Sure, Khachaturian is one of the greats but still not that often performed. You did a very good job after only 1 year and 7 months.

43. SwissMs – Gigue from Bach’s French Suite Gigues (or Jiggs) are usually quite a challenge because of their tempo, but you are mastering this piece quite well. I agree with your idea to still bring the tempo up as long as that is feasible, but I already liked your rendition as is.

52. Ralphiano – Prelude (Tansman) This is a very nice, short prelude. Well played. Without being familiar with Tansman’s works, I wonder if it would sound even better with some more pedal.

Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760663
08/24/18 06:18 AM
08/24/18 06:18 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Prelude & Fugue in C Minor BWV 847

22. akc42 / Alan Chandler - J.S Bach Invention No 8

30. fishandchips - Invention 11 in G minor BWV 782

43. SwissMS/Doris - French Suite V - Gigue

Bach works - all very well played, and it must be enjoyable and satisfying for the pianist to study and play these - I respect and admire your efforts - but I have not yet learned to share your enthusiasm for the Baroque master's compositions - I think I'll have to make a concerted effort over an extended period to adjustment my attitude about this music, and discover his genius, maybe through extended, forced listening...

Last edited by Handyman; 08/24/18 06:19 AM.

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760707
08/24/18 11:30 AM
08/24/18 11:30 AM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Offline

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol

21. Handyman - North American Medley: America, the Beautiful and O Canada I love the this patriotic medley. You did a nice job of joining them together. Very nice presentation.

22. akc42 / Alan Chandler - J.S Bach Invention No 8 I really like this cheerful invention. You have a nice steady tempo and good balance between the voices. I like the crisp detached articulation on the quavers and good legato on the semiquavers.

23. Tootles - Beauty and the Beast I love this song. You brought out the melody well! You have really come a long way in a short time!

24. LisztAddict - Elegie Op 3 NO 1 Lovely sensitive playing on this gorgeous piece. I love your well projected melody and subdued accompaniment. You really bring a lot of emotion to the piece, and you phrase it beautifully. I have not heard this piece before, but it is definitely on my bucket list now.

25. sinophilia - Last Chance Blues I love Martha Mier’s music. The music is accessible, but you learn something from every piece! You did a great job with this, capturing its languid nature quite well. I would never have suspeced there was a wrong note! Nice job!

26. Sandalholme - Prelude Op28 No15 (Erard 1849 piano) I love this piece and played it in the last recital. I really like your take on it. I like your use of the dynamic range in the stormy section.

27. Snejana - Hummingbird Memories This is a very interesting composition. I can hear the flitting of the hummingbrids.

28. Monica K. - Elements This is another Einaudi piece that has a sense of seeking solace in a troubled world. You bring out that characteristic very well in you playing, taking the listener along on the journey. Beautifully played.

29. Greywullf - Lyric Pieces I have always loved Arietta. The split arpeggios in this piece take some work, but you played them flawlessly. Nice chordal work in Wachterlied. I am less familiar with the third piece, but the Norwegian folk character comes through clearly. Nice playing!

30. fishandchips - Invention 11 in G minor BWV 782 Very nice balance between the voices, and very good, steady rhythms. This is great work for such a short time at the piano!

31. EdmondRhapsody - Mission Impossible Theme That was really fun! I can see why your left hand would get tired. Nicely done!

32. tjbron (Tom) - Nocturne in F sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2 This is a lovely nocturne, not often heard. You did a beautiful job with it. You give it a lot of emotion.

33. noobpianist90 - Sonatina in C Major - Op. 36 No. 3 I love this happy sonatina. It is probably my favorite from op. 36. You do a lovely job with it. Your articulation is crisp and clear, and you runs sound effortless. Great playing.

34. GoldmanT - Sebastian's Place Nice improvisation! It has a surreal character, great for a SiFi movie!

35. Piano2138 - Witches and Wizards This sound like a fun piece to play. You gave it the sense of mystery appropriate to the title!

36. MeganR - Aria Bist du Bei Mir BWV 508 You captured the baroque feel of this piece. It sounds like a stately dance. I like you balance between the hands, and the detached base.

37. Piano_primo_1 - Elegy This does sound like a cello piece. I like how you develop the dynamics through the piece. Nicely done.

38. Balezin Dmitry - Valse d'Amelie Great job for such a short time at the piano. You use the dynamic range well, and bring great expression to the piece.

39. Jouishy - Sonata in C major - K545 1st movement You have a nice touch for Mozart. Your articulation is crisp and clear. Although this is named Sonata facile – it is not that easy! For the length you have been playing, this is truly excellent work!

40. Serge88 - The Entertainer Loved it! This is such a fun piece. I like how well you projected the melody over the accompaniment.

41. joangolfing - Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman" I like the contrast in these variations. You have a great start on them. You have nice articulation, and good control.

Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760748
08/24/18 02:04 PM
08/24/18 02:04 PM
Russia
B
Balezin Dmitry Offline
Balezin Dmitry  Offline
B

Russia
I must thank all of you guys that listened to my rendition of "Valse d'Amelie". I really appriciate your comment and glad that you liked my playing (though not perfect in many respects). Will continue my piano journey (as I call it) and try to present you some good music in the future. Take care,

I just can't live without some music in my life
Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760774
08/24/18 05:03 PM
08/24/18 05:03 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
35 Piano2138

Wonderful effort here! A most pleasant 33 seconds . . . . more next time, we hope?

36 MeganR

I liked your piece. Brings back memories from my time at the organ in a country church. Bach wrote such nice stuff; I dare say some play only that. Nice job, Megan, Lovely rich sounding piano, too.

37 Piano Primo 1

Great opening on those strong bass notes. If I may, might I suggest leaving the strings alone? Kinda spoils your work's purity. You have Pianoteq sounding so good. Now, what is it you're using? This might cost me . . . . Well done, man!

38 Balezin Dmitry

Lovely playing; you done darned well, man. There'll be no stopping you now, it's all there.

39 Juishy

Your recording was good. Sounded lovely to me; I like the tune, the way you play it, the sound of your piano. . . . .just keep enjoying this.

40 Serge88

I think everyone'd doing Pianoteq! K2? Sounded wonderfully bright, cheerful, easy to listen to, Well done.

41 Joangolfing

So much music here I'm unfamiliar with. This is pleasant, evocative of the age it was written in; those variations are interesting and not all that easy. Spotted the "Ba ba black sheep" one at the end . . . Good work!

42 Keselo

Another new-to-me song. Your recording was good. They can always be better for all of us; you sounded well on that nice shiny piano. Be happy with this!

43 SwissMS

I always admire those who take things further. I did French suite 5 no1. The others mostly looked too hard. This is; it's got to be rewarding to get your fingers and head around this. Lovely work.

44 pianogrlNW

Lovely recording; your piano's tuned to perfection. The Scarlatti is wonderful; I love the music that was around then, and fortunately still is. One can drift off into the stratosphere listening to this. Wonderful.

45 Mel lem

Sounds a treat; very well played with great expression and plenty of ooomph!

Great stuff, guys!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760818
08/24/18 10:29 PM
08/24/18 10:29 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Florida
49. peterws - Far Away
Peter, beautiful harmonies and melodies, and an occasional bluesy phrase, played with feeling. What more could we ask? Well done!

50. PikaPianist - Scene Romantique Op. 101, No. 5
Pika, what a gorgeous piece of music! Thanks for introducing us to it. I've always been a big Sibelius fan but never heard this one before. Your playing was exquisite. Well done!

51. Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Tangerine
Mike, I’ve always liked this song. Neat tango effect! Well done.

53. Schinl / Schin Loong - "Chopin" from Schumann's Carnaval
Shinl, absolutely wonderful! I don't think I've heard it before. So lyrical, such gorgeous harmonic changes. I loved it!

54. cmb13 - Craig - Well Tempered Clavier Prelude in C
Craig, wonderful playing on a timeless favorite.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760832
08/25/18 02:12 AM
08/25/18 02:12 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
Once again, a wonderful Recital, and one which will always have a very special meaning for me. Participating in Recital 51 proved to be a most difficult promise to keep, but I’m truly glad that I managed.

I’m so grateful to you all for listening, and for your many kind, thoughtful and comforting comments. Your support has helped more than I can ever say.

I won’t respond individually on submissions this time, but without exception your efforts were inspiring and beautiful.

I’m finding time for my piano again - I missed it so much - but it’s bitter-sweet and rather lonely without my Number One Fan. 2hearts

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LIV

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760864
08/25/18 07:54 AM
08/25/18 07:54 AM
Near Yosemite, California
MeganR Offline

Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline

Silver Subscriber

Near Yosemite, California
37. Piano_primo_1 - Elegy I like what you did with the melody, loved the orchestration also!

38. Balezin Dmitry - Valse d'Amelie Very nicely played, this piece sounds pretty difficult for not quite 2 years at the piano, really enjoyed.

39. Jouishy - Sonata in C major - K545 1st movement This really sounded so good, very nice touch and well articulated.

40. Serge88 - The Entertainer Perfect tempo! Left hand perfectly balanced and a great singing right hand.

41. joangolfing - Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman" These variations *do* sound like fun to play, great job with them.

42. Keselo - Bed-Time Story I do love a good waltz! Also loved your description of the piece while I was listening.

43. SwissMS/Doris - French Suite V - Gigue This was great, your piano sounds wonderful and I just love Bach smile

44. PianogrlNW - Sonata in B minor, K. 87 And I also just love Scarlatti, you played this so beautifully with such a sensitive touch. Sorry you're dealing with wildfire smoke, we've just gotten through a nasty bit around here with the Ferguson Fire where we spent a good two plus weeks not being able to go outdoors.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760893
08/25/18 10:55 AM
08/25/18 10:55 AM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
31. EdmondRhapsody - Mission Impossible Theme

This was fun to listen to. Were the sweat wrist bands worn on purpose for this? smile

32. tjbron (Tom) - Nocturne in F sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2

I don't think I heard this before. Seems Chopin has a lot of nocturnes. Very nice!

33. noobpianist90 - Sonatina in C Major - Op. 36 No. 3

Wow, another long piece, lol. I really like Clementi, he's underrated I think. Very well played.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760915
08/25/18 01:37 PM
08/25/18 01:37 PM
Maine
Peyton Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Maine
2. sma55- Well done!! I really got into it. You play it in a very confident, commanding way.

3. bsharpcycilst- beautifully played. I worked on this a while back and for some reason forgot about it. Now I'll have to dig it up again after your wonderful, moving rendition.

"Nothing moves...where would it go?"
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2760949
08/25/18 04:45 PM
08/25/18 04:45 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
31. EdmondRhapsody - Mission Impossible Theme

This was fun to listen to. Were the sweat wrist bands worn on purpose for this? smile

Lol... I was wondering the same thing! laugh

Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2760955
08/25/18 05:20 PM
08/25/18 05:20 PM
Jason Lenthe Offline
Jason Lenthe  Offline

40. Serge88 - The Entertainer This one is always a crowd pleaser and very well played here. Good job!

41. joangolfing - Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman" I really like these variations. So beautifully and cleverly composed and they come across nicely in this recording.

42. Keselo - Bed-Time Story Well played! Very tasteful use of dynamics and pedaling.

43. SwissMS/Doris - French Suite V - Gigue Great piece! It's very upbeat and brilliant. I just listened to it 3 times and I'm not bored yet. Really very well played!

44. PianogrlNW - Sonata in B minor, K. 87 That's really quite a sophisticated piece and flawlessly played!

45. mel_lem (Melanie) - Etude No. 7 That was awesome! Really great performance! I want to learn it myself now.

46. jotur/Cathy Turner - The Easy Winners Good job! Getting to learn a Joplin piece by heart is no small feat. I've been working on one for a few months myself

47. SleepyBear - Powder Snow This is a very interesting piece and you played it very well. I enjoyed listening to it a lot.

48. Mr Super Hunky - All By Myself /Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 Really well done! I can definitely hear the original concerto in there. I thought the glissandos were a very nice touch and tastefully done.

49. peterws - Far Away That's nice blend of modern ideas, well composed and well played. Very nice listening.

50. PikaPianist - Scene Romantique Op. 101, No. 5 That really is a nice gem you found there and you played it phenomenally!

51. Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Tangerine Great playing! Very impressive to learn a piece like that by ear.

52. Ralphiano (Ralph) - Prelude Great performance! You did an especially good job with the left hand melody in the middle section keeping the legato smooth.

53. Schinl / Schin Loong - "Chopin" from Schumann's Carnaval That's sounds really great especially for only a couple of weeks practice. Very nice piece!

54. cmb13 - Craig - Well Tempered Clavier Prelude in C Good job! The smoothing will come with time and practice. You did an especially good job with the ending which was very elegant.

55. dddaaannn - Mignon, op. 68, no. 35 Well done! Very sweetly played.

Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2761084
08/26/18 07:44 AM
08/26/18 07:44 AM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S

21. Handyman - North American Medley: America, the Beautiful and O Canada
Nice little medley with pleasant arrangements. Good job. And I was entertained by your written notes, as well.

22. akc42 / Alan Chandler - J.S Bach Invention No 8
Bach’s Inventions are not easy, and I think you did very well with this one!

23. Tootles - Beauty and the Beast
You had indicated that you desire no technical feedback. To be perfectly honest, I’m not entirely sure what does and what does not constitute technical feedback. So I’ll err on the side of wishing not to snub you, were I to say nothing about your performance. Especially since I think you’re doing spectacularly for someone who hasn’t even been playing piano for a year! And your performance was quite pleasant to listen to. I believe you have a nice touch and a good feel for the instrument. Keep up the good work!

24. LisztAddict - Elegie Op 3 NO 1
Wow! That was just lovely. Can’t think of another word to say.

25. sinophilia - Last Chance Blues
A few years back, I played around with a couple of books from Martha Mier’s “Jazz, Rags, and Blues” series, too. They were fun. And I think you do a nice job with this one, certainly capturing that lazy blues feel.

26. Sandalholme - Prelude Op28 No15 (Erard 1849 piano)
Excellent performance! I really enjoyed your playing. But I have to say I’m not a fan of any of Pianoteq’s modeling, and this 1849 Erard is no exception.

27. Snejana - Hummingbird Memories
Nicely performed, and I think that you made the bit of music that’s here in this composition sound pleasant. I say “bit of music”, because the composition sounds to me like little more than an arpeggiated accompaniment that’s seeking a melody. But that’s on the composer’s side. You yourself did well!

28. Monica K. - Elements
I think you did a really nice job with this piece, Monica. As with other minimalist compositions, I feel that this one would work well as an unimposing soundtrack to a movie (and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s already been used in this capacity). Good work!

29. Greywullf - Lyric Pieces
Very nice! I think you captured the essence of Grieg in all three of these. My favorite of the three is Arietta.

30. fishandchips - Invention 11 in G minor BWV 782
Excellent! You played this nearly flawlessly. Very impressive, given the relatively short amount of time you say you’ve been playing.

Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2761100
08/26/18 09:24 AM
08/26/18 09:24 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
50. PikaPianist - Scene Romantique Op. 101, No. 5

This is profoundly captivating - both the lovely music and your seemingly "effortless" (after years of nose-to-the-grindstone practice) performance...

Bravo! One of the best in this Recital (and I almost forgot to watch/listen!)

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2761137
08/26/18 01:17 PM
08/26/18 01:17 PM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Offline

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
42. Keselo - Bed-Time Story This tells a very interesting story. I like you nice legato right hand and crisp staccato chords in the left. Nicely done.

44. PianogrlNW - Sonata in B minor, K. 87 I love this sonata. I really like the way you have phrased it! The melody sings clearly over the the other voices. Beautifully done!

45. mel_lem (Melanie) - Etude No. 7 What a fun piece! You really had my toe tapping. You rhythm is very steady, and you have the boogie woogie beat working well!

46. jotur/Cathy Turner - The Easy Winners Beautiful relaxed ragtime. It sounds like a lazy trip down the river. Well played.

47. SleepyBear - Powder Snow This is quite an interesting piece with a lot of contrast. Nice playing!

48. Mr Super Hunky - All By Myself /Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 This is a beautiful improvisation, very rich and full. I like how you phrase the piece, giving breathing space. Wonderful playing.

49. peterws - Far Away Lovely composition! You have a true gift for creativity at the piano!

50. PikaPianist - Scene Romantique Op. 101, No. 5 This is a very interesting piece, and you played it beautifully! I love the expression that you bring to the piece.

51. Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Tangerine Nice rich sound, with a singing melody over the rich accompaniment. Well played!

52. Ralphiano (Ralph) - Prelude Congratulations on your new grand, and have fun building your studio. This piece is new to me, but it is very nice. I like how you sing the melody, in both the right and then left hands.

53. Schinl / Schin Loong - "Chopin" from Schumann's Carnaval This is an amazing job for only two weeks with the piece. Beautifully played.

54. cmb13 - Craig - Well Tempered Clavier Prelude in C I like your tempo. I often hear this played too slowly, and it loses its energy. You gave it good drive, and nice phrasing.

55. dddaaannn - Mignon, op. 68, no. 35 You have lovely expression in your playing. This is a beautiful piece, and you do it justice!

Re: Recital 51 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2761168
08/26/18 03:58 PM
08/26/18 03:58 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
46 Jotur

That's a lengthy complicated piece! Just as well you like this stuff. I think most of us do, too. These things take a long time to accomplish. You're nearly there now. Good work.

47 Sleepy Bear

A Chinese feel to it, probably because your piano is deliciously out of tune! Interesting nonetheless and very nicely played with a great melody in the left hand.

48 Mr Super Hunky

Good melody and structure. A sad song, and I remember the tune from the 70's, was it? This is super with loads of force, anguish that conveys well through this. Good job!

50 Pika Pianist

So much stuff I'd not heard before! Where d'ya all get it from? A particularly pleasant sound here, this tune is impressive. Lovely.

51 Yamaha G3 and P80

An oldie; tango I think. I guess it doesn't have to be a tango, but you do a great job here with that shorty!

52 Ralphiano

That was a very decent short piece. I wish you luck with your project. May your hammer be always heavy, and your nails never run out . . . .Nice job, man!

53 Schinni

Love Schumann. Very moonlighty and relaxing, for a summer night. Only it's getting cold right now. Great playing, soulful sound.

54 cmb13

You can play this fast or slow, it still sounds great. Good sound, and pleasant playing. Very good!

55 dddaaannn

I saw you counting in; neat! The piano sounds fine. Another nice Schumann offering for us. Thank you. And nice playing!

That's it guys. 'Till next time . . . . .'bye for now! Thanks for the ride, it was great!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dealing with Frustration
by RmntcPianoLvr. 07/20/19 09:39 PM
Beethoven Sonata Op. 101 - trills
by Orange Soda King. 07/20/19 06:04 PM
What software can show this?
by EDV. 07/20/19 04:40 PM
Pianoworld.com is free at 30k feet
by Gombessa. 07/20/19 03:11 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,098
Posts2,850,216
Members93,934
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission