Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
129 registered members (AndrewJCW, AlphaBravoCharlie, Ankee, atamgp, Apoll0, anotherscott, Antihero, 8ude, Abdol, 31 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? #2760527
08/23/18 01:15 PM
08/23/18 01:15 PM
Udachny, North-East Siberia
P
PianoStartsAt33 Offline OP
PianoStartsAt33  Offline OP
P

Questions like "Can adult beginner become pianist?" or "Can adult beginner reach pro level" etc. periodically apear on the forum, followed by various answer that are usually just someone's toughts and speculations.
Nevertheless, we have, probably, the biggest database of adult beginners in the world:) So, one fact can be discovered here: what's the most difficult piece adult beginner (forum member, most likely) ever played?
P.S.: "Adult beginner" for me is a person who started after 18 and never touched piano before.

"No succes of failure matters when it's about true vocation". Nicolás Gómez Dávila
“The goal of music is to help people live”. Francis Bebey

Roland LX-706, Korg D1

YoutubeChannel
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2760537
08/23/18 02:25 PM
08/23/18 02:25 PM
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Scotland
For me it was when I played John Cage's 4'33".

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: Beemer] #2760539
08/23/18 02:32 PM
08/23/18 02:32 PM
Near Yosemite, California
MeganR Offline
Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Near Yosemite, California
Originally Posted by Beemer

Ian

ha

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2760540
08/23/18 02:33 PM
08/23/18 02:33 PM
Warsaw, Poland
Qazsedcft Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Warsaw, Poland
Just "played" or "played well"? How well? Herein lies the problem...

[Linked Image]
Working on:
Mozart Sonata in G major, K. 283
Moszkowski Etude op. 91 no. 18
Chopin Nocturne in C-sharp minor, op. posth.
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: Beemer] #2760545
08/23/18 02:48 PM
08/23/18 02:48 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida

Ian

lol - I gotta teach that one to my wife -

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: Qazsedcft] #2760546
08/23/18 02:56 PM
08/23/18 02:56 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline

Quebec city, QC
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft

Exactly what I was thinking.

The hardest piece I tried to play was Rachmaninoff prelude in C sharp minor. And it was clearly so much above my level that the result was not very convincing.

But I'm sure there are adult beginners here that have a lot of experience and that can play really hard pieces convincingly. But they are no more beginners, so it goes against your question... So I don't see how we can really answer.

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: cmb13] #2760550
08/23/18 03:01 PM
08/23/18 03:01 PM
USA
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
8 Octaves  Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

1000 Post Club Member

USA
Originally Posted by cmb13

Ian

lol - I gotta teach that one to my wife -

Have you seen the music for it? I challenge anyone to play this piece without using any metronome or timing device as a crutch. You need to perform it by sight-reading the music. After you finish (sight-reading the rests) if it wasn't 4'33", then you did not respect the intention of the composer and failed. Now try it again at the right tempo!

(I think even Cage cheated and used a watch when he performed it.)

Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2760575
08/23/18 04:24 PM
08/23/18 04:24 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33
Questions like "Can adult beginner become pianist?" or "Can adult beginner reach pro level" etc. periodically apear on the forum, followed by various answer that are usually just someone's toughts and speculations.
Nevertheless, we have, probably, the biggest database of adult beginners in the world:) So, one fact can be discovered here: what's the most difficult piece adult beginner (forum member, most likely) ever played?
P.S.: "Adult beginner" for me is a person who started after 18 and never touched piano before.

To me the question doesn't make any sense. If, by your definition, an adult beginner is someone who started playing the piano at 18 but if s/he has now been playing for several years - if not a few decades - s/he may well be into very advanced repertoire. So, the most difficult piece may be a piece that comes after years of practice and study, perhaps even after performances and competitions.

I really don't see the point of the question as it was formulated.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2760577
08/23/18 04:27 PM
08/23/18 04:27 PM
P
P

Originally Posted by Jouishy
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft

Exactly what I was thinking.

The hardest piece I tried to play was Rachmaninoff prelude in C sharp minor. And it was clearly so much above my level that the result was not very convincing.

But I'm sure there are adult beginners here that have a lot of experience and that can play really hard pieces convincingly. But they are no more beginners, so it goes against your question... So I don't see how we can really answer.

100% true:)
I should write "those who started as adults", because that is what I really meant)) Those who began when were adults already:) No matter how much time ago. May be here is some one who started at the age of 20, and know he/she is 60 and keeps on playing and practicing - it's interesting to know what level can "adult-starter" reach in 40 years"))

"No succes of failure matters when it's about true vocation". Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Roland LX-706, Korg D1

YoutubeChannel
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: BruceD] #2760578
08/23/18 04:31 PM
08/23/18 04:31 PM
P
P

Originally Posted by BruceD

To me the question doesn't make any sense. If, by your definition, an adult beginner is someone who started playing the piano at 18 but if s/he has now been playing for several years - if not a few decades - s/he may well be into very advanced repertoire.

Sorry for wrong-formulated question:(

Yeah. I just wanted a couple of example of the most advanced repertoir from the "adult-starters".

Roland LX-706, Korg D1

YoutubeChannel
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2760582
08/23/18 04:41 PM
08/23/18 04:41 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Well, I started nearly 5 years ago and played Debussy's Prelude VIII, Liszt's Consolation in Db. Not sure how well, and not sure these are of the difficulty level you are searching for. There are others on here who have played Chopin's Ballades, and other more advanced pieces. I would think someone starting even at 30 or 40 playing for 10 to 20 years can accomplish quite a lot given time , and more importantly, motivation.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2760595
08/23/18 06:31 PM
08/23/18 06:31 PM
H
Hotstrings Offline
Hotstrings  Offline
H

Mia and Sebastian’s Theme.I started piano at 72. 73 now . One year, 50 private weekly lessons and 4-6 hrs practice every day. Almost finished through page 3. Bought the full version cause first two sample pages looked doable. Way above my level but still love it. And yes, Ryan Gossling did learn what you saw him play in La La Land in 3 months.

Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: Hotstrings] #2760604
08/23/18 07:40 PM
08/23/18 07:40 PM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
Originally Posted by Hotstrings
Mia and Sebastian’s Theme.I started piano at 72. 73 now . One year, 50 private weekly lessons and 4-6 hrs practice every day. Almost finished through page 3. Bought the full version cause first two sample pages looked doable. Way above my level but still love it. And yes, Ryan Gossling did learn what you saw him play in La La Land in 3 months.

That’s great commitment and practice discipline Hotstrings.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2760623
08/23/18 10:40 PM
08/23/18 10:40 PM
CA, USA
E
EdmondRhapsody Offline
EdmondRhapsody  Offline
E

CA, USA
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33

I always thought "Adult beginner" here means adult amateur piano players? If there is a "start playing after 18" requirement, a lot of people here, including myself, are not qualified.

Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2760630
08/23/18 11:44 PM
08/23/18 11:44 PM
Texas, USA
Teddy J Offline
Teddy J  Offline

Texas, USA
Six months self-taught, Chopin's Ballade no. 1 in G Minor. I want to play professionally. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life.

Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: Hotstrings] #2760665
08/24/18 06:39 AM
08/24/18 06:39 AM
P
P

Originally Posted by Hotstrings

This is an episode from popular russian movie: https://youtu.be/lmR7MQHv5-o?t=4s
The actor studied piano for several years and was an amateur pianist able to play this Chopin's etude himself, But what we see on the screen is his fingers moving, but not his sound. Professional pianist from Moscow conservatory was asked to play for this episode and her sound we hear in the movie. Professional pianist sound + actor's hands moving. The same was done with Tom Hulce in "Amadeus", as I know. WIth Adrien Brody in "The Pianist". And many other piano episodes with actors in various movies. Of course, it seems great to non-musicians that a person plays dificult pieces after a couple of months of piano studying. But such a "playing" can only make real professional smile (or laugh:)).

Roland LX-706, Korg D1

YoutubeChannel
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2760667
08/24/18 06:57 AM
08/24/18 06:57 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
When it comes to Classical music,, there is always the perception if you don't start before age 10, you can still play to a high level and become a teacher but probably won't be on stage as a performer. Unless you are a composer yourself you can be playing your own music.

Once learned to play mvt. 1 from the Bach Italian Concerto in F. Practiced it for a few weeks. Played it at a Christmas gathering and came out to around 4m. My parents tried to get me into piano at age 5 but gave up after a few lessons. Didn't touch a keyboard until my mid-30s. I played violin with my high school band and had some idea the type of music I'd play. Didn't find the polyphonic music of Bach with similar overlapping too challenging. Also played a piano transcription of the Toccata & Fugue in D minor and the Little Fugue in G minor without the organ bass part. Tend to stay away from music that require a lot of big hand jumps like some Chopin nocturnes.

Music that one person finds difficult may not be too challenging for another.

Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2760671
08/24/18 07:37 AM
08/24/18 07:37 AM
England
Lillith Offline
Lillith  Offline

England
I'd guess starting at 18, if you have talent, and work hard, the sky's the limit!

However, what about those of us oldies who start after age 65? What can we aspire to? smile

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?
Roland FP30 in white
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: Lillith] #2760702
08/24/18 10:36 AM
08/24/18 10:36 AM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
Originally Posted by Lillith

However, what about those of us oldies who start after age 65? What can we aspire to? smile

That’s the way I understood the question.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: What is the most difficult piece adult beginner ever played? [Re: Lillith] #2760823
08/24/18 11:42 PM
08/24/18 11:42 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by Lillith
I'd guess starting at 18, if you have talent, and work hard, the sky's the limit!

When you get to your retirement age, most people would take up art or music as a hobby with no expectation of performing anywhere. There are people who may be active in their church and play a few hymns on Sunday. And then there are seniors who learned a few old tunes and perform in front of other seniors in old age homes.

Personally I'm always aware the dilemma of being an adult and a beginner. When I was younger, my parents got me into a few piano lessons but got nowhere (assumed the lack of talent) and quit. Restarting in my 30s didn't seem like a big deal and have been playing for the past 10 years. When you get older people don't automatically assume you are starting as a beginner because at your age you would have taken piano lessons for a few years already. Even in the beginning I'd learn a few songs from a beginner's book with easy song arrangements and at the same time push myself to play a few short pieces out of Bach English or French Suites to get myself up to the intermediate level.

The other day met a man playing a public piano at the local YMCA. Not sure his age (probably retired in his 60s) Don't think he was preparing to perform anywhere, just playing for his own interest. His sight reading is very good. Although he had a bit of difficulty playing a few Chopin nocturnes but got to the end. He played a few other pieces including Mozart Turkish Rondo and a few piano arrangements of pop songs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Maybe I’m not too old but I STINK!
by Mils. 10/22/19 02:25 PM
Good budget microphone for piano recording
by Ankee. 10/22/19 02:21 PM
Yamaha's are considered bright..... why?
by U3piano. 10/22/19 12:01 PM
Notation question
by pianoloverus. 10/22/19 11:52 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,668
Posts2,882,043
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission