2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert

Just spent a week getting rained on in the Lake District and arrived today on the coast of Wales, for another week and a bit (probably also to get rained on, mainly).

You picked the wrong time. School holidays always generate rain. In fact, you're lucky. We've had it so hot for weeks; doesn't sit easy with us (old) Brits. I live around the corner from both these localities. Don't miss the little steam trains in Wales. There are loads of 'em. . . and there's a pub past Rhyll on the coast road, just after the metal bridge which serves excellent food.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
37. Piano_primo_1 - Elegy This is a nice piece. I'd love to hear it without the strings, though. Hopefully, you can gain back some of your time in the near future and spend more on your music.

38. Balezin Dmitry - Valse d'Amelie Your self assessment is very accurate. At just over a year of playing, you are doing well. For me, being able to sing the melody in my head while playing is very helpful to manipulating the dynamics and phrasing. It's a nice tune that will get better as you do. Well done!

39. Jouishy - Sonata in C major - K545 1st movement You have covered a lot of ground in just 2.5 years. Well done! It sounded like you were frequently on the edge of your ability in terms of tempo. Perhaps slowing, or playing slower pieces, might help get to the levels of musicality and interpretation you desire.

46. jotur/Cathy Turner - The Easy Winners I commend you. You took 7 months to memorize something that would take me 7 years! It's a light hearted, comfortable piece. I bet your nursing home audiences would love to hear this one. And, here's to hoping your comeback is successful.

47. SleepyBear - Powder Snow (to do) Your piano did not do you justice. Is there hope of getting your piano better tuned? It seems clear your ability is masked by the sound of the piano. It seems you played it well.

48. Mr Super Hunky - All By Myself /Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 I am always impressed by improvisation. It requires such complete knowledge of the instrument's topography, and of the key being played, along with ideation that is way beyond my own ability. I hope to get there. Well done! Tell the truth, did you grin at the glissandos?

55. dddaaannn - Mignon, op. 68, no. 35 Everything about this is good! It is a lovely piece I had not heard before. And, I think you played it very well. I really enjoyed listening. So far, my exposure to Schumann has been the simplest pieces from his children's albums, and they are too sing-songy for my tastes. But, this is very nice, gives me hope that I will find Schumann material that I enjoy. Well done!
BTW, I was unable to get the mp3 version on the ABF recital player to play, so, I listened to the video.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
21. Handyman - North American Medley: America, the Beautiful and O Canada Loved your recording, the arrangement, the tone and the ascending end.
Also thanks for the kind comments on O Canada. The more I played O canada on piano, the more I liked it. I thought it was just me, glad to know others also liked it as a piece of music rather than just a national anthem.

22. akc42 / Alan Chandler - J.S Bach Invention No 8 fluent, welcome back to piano.

23. Tootles - Beauty and the Beast I felt it was very nicely done, esp that u had less than than a year. Both timing and musicality are good.

25. sinophilia - Last Chance Blues didn't notice the mistake at the end, probably because jazz scales are all new to me. But I hear what you say. Sometimes a mistake happens at the end of an otherwise perfect recording, it makes me upset too:)

26. Sandalholme - Prelude Op28 No15 (Erard 1849 piano) enjoyed listening, very expressive.

28. Monica K. - Elements not an easy piece, the dynamic, the tempo, but you did it! I enjoyed it a lot! Definitely a thumb up on your YouTube! !

30. fishandchips - Invention 11 in G minor BWV 782 impressive for less than 2 yrs, it's a very fluent performace especially at high tempo!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Continuing with the non-classical pieces:

20. Ralph L. - A thousand years: I’ve never seen any of the Twilight movies, but this was such a pretty melody I looked the song up, and the lyrics were beautiful. I liked how you arranged it a lot (starting off with block chords and then an arpeggiated left hand); it’s more interesting, musically, to me than some of the other solo piano versions I saw on YouTube.

21. Handyman - North American Medley: America, the Beautiful and O Canada: I quite like the idea of a North American medley! (Should you expand and throw Mexico into the mix…?) The two songs work well together, and I liked your transition between the two pieces. I also liked how you ended the medley with a reprise of the “America, the Beautiful” theme.

23. Tootles - Beauty and the Beast: Don’t feel bad about the shaky hands when you performed this live… pretty much anybody who has ever played piano in front of other people (including me) has even worse train wreck stories to tell. crazy I’m impressed by the difficulty level you’re playing, considering how few months you have on the bench. Nice job on a pretty song!

25. sinophilia - Last Chance Blues: I really like Martha Mier’s arrangements—I have a book of her romantic/new age pieces. Hearing this makes me want to buy her blues book. You give this piece precisely the air of relaxation that it deserves, and I wouldn’t have known there was a wrong note at the end if you hadn’t told us. (p.s. I also enjoyed seeing how turning pages of sheet music on a table works in real life! grin )

27. Snejana - Hummingbird Memories: At the risk of sounding like a cult member, if you like contemporary composers who use a lot repeated patterns, check out Einaudi’s music. 😊 This particular piece, actually, reminds me even more of Alessandra Celletti’s music, particularly “The Golden Fly” series. Your playing did indeed bring to mind the graceful darting about of a hummingbird back and forth around a feeder.

31. EdmondRhapsody - Mission Impossible Theme: Oh I loved the energy you played this piece with! I’m guessing it was as much fun to play as it was to watch you play it… my hat’s off to you for maintaining that bass pattern at such a fast tempo.

34. GoldmanT - Sebastian's Place: Blade Runner is one of my favorite sci fi movies, and the soundtrack is outstanding, so I had high expectations for your improv… and you lived up to it. I enjoyed the dreamy and spacy feel you gave to your playing. Very nice!

35. Piano2138 - Witches and Wizards: I’m glad you were able to make this recording and participate! I had never heard of Christine Donkin before, so had to look her up. This etude sounded fairly challenging to play, almost Bach-like. I just wish it had been longer!

38. Balezin Dmitry - Valse d'Amelie: Oh, Yann Tiersen is always breaking my heart, what with his composing absolutely beautiful pieces that SOUND like they are doable only to be wicked hard. laugh “Valse d’Amelie” is one such wicked hard piece (I’ve started on it numerous times only to give up in despair), and I thought you did an excellent job on it.

40. Serge88 - The Entertainer: “The Entertainer” is probably the “Moonlight Sonata” of rag—the piece everybody is familiar with, which can make tackling it a nerve-wracking experience. You play this with a nice relaxed, easy feel. Well done!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
31. EdmondRhapsody - Mission Impossible Theme
Edmond, yeah that was the real thing. Fun to listen to, very compelling. Well done

37. Piano_primo_1 - Elegy
Love that Melody! Nice orchestration work. Well done.

38. Balezin Dmitry - Valse d'Amelie
Well done. Very Musical. Your left-hand work is very impressive.

39. Jouishy - Sonata in C major - K545 1st movement
Wonderfully expressive and musical. I truly enjoyed it.

40. Serge88 - The Entertainer
Nice job. Joplin is always a treat to listen to. You have the ragtime feel down pat.

43. SwissMS/Doris - French Suite V - Gigue
Wow, Doris, that was awesome. The left-hand part itself seems extremely challenging. I enjoyed every part of it.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
23. Tootles - Beauty and the Beast
Lovely sound from your piano. Well done!

24. LisztAddict - Elegie Op 3 NO 1
Gentle, moody beginning and then the piece unfolds so beautifully.

25. sinophilia - Last Chance Blues
Great choice of material, very well played! I became a fan of Mier during my first few months of lessons, when Book 1 let me do a lot with a little (skill and talent). I appreciated your account of the tribulations of recording! BTW your ending sounds just right.

26. Sandalholme - Prelude Op28 No15 (Erard 1849 piano)
Beautiful job with the raindrops, and it sounds just right on your piano. I wish some of those errant raindrops would come my way to clear some of the smoke from our skies!

27. Snejana - Hummingbird Memories
I enjoyed your playing, and I admired how you adapted the score.

28. Monica K. - Elements
More Einaudi! I am beginning to understand how addictive this music could be to play. I liked your phrase “asymptote of my ability”: I’ve been there too! Approaching but never quite reaching….

29. Greywullf - Lyric Pieces
I really enjoyed the Grieg, especially Arietta. It sounds lovely on your piano.

30. fishandchips - Invention 11 in G minor BWV 782
Very impressive for 1.75 years of playing! It sounds beautiful.

31. EdmondRhapsody - Mission Impossible Theme
Great fun! It takes me back to the first season, and that self-immolating tape player! You played with great verve!

32. tjbron (Tom) - Nocturne in F sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2
Beautiful work with the Chopin. He draws so much grace out of sadness. Thank you.

33. noobpianist90 - Sonatina in C Major - Op. 36 No. 3
The whole thing sounded wonderful. I especially appreciated the contemplative pace of the adagio.

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

04. Jerzyk19 - Prelude Op.28 No.20 in C Minor That was very nice! Well done.

05. Mosotti - First Steps I liked this a lot. It's a pretty melody. And, you played it well. And, thanks for exposing another source of nice music. I'm going to explore his website and see about more of his music. Good performance!

06. wouter79 - L'avalanche, Op.45 No. 2 Very enjoyable. It sounded pretty difficult from start to finish, unrelenting in its demand on the pianist. I think you handled this well..

13. pathguy - Peace When I first ventured into chords, I had great difficulty (still do) getting all fingers to sound at the same moment. You seem to have little problem with it. This is good progress for just 7 months at it. Well done!

14. Sam S - Piano Sonata k332 1st mvt Do I remember correctly that you were worried about your ability to memorize when you first started back to school? It seems you have pretty well put those worries behind you. This was a massive undertaking. And, you play was so enjoyable! Very well done!

15. Ted Jones - Improvisation Improvisation is beyond me. But, one day.... I admire those who can just sit down and make music.

22. akc42 / Alan Chandler - J.S Bach Invention No 8 It sounds like you have this going pretty evenly at this speed. Nice playing.

23. Tootles - Beauty and the Beast You are off to a nice start. This was a very steady performance.

24. LisztAddict - Elegie Op 3 NO 1 It is hard to imagine a Forte beginning to this piece. I think you got this one right. I think the P or PP left hand parts just preceding the rousing ending must have been difficult. I enjoyed your performance a lot.

31. EdmondRhapsody - Mission Impossible Theme It was hard to suppress the grin. You seemed to be having such fun. Nice job!

32. tjbron (Tom) - Nocturne in F sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2 A little mysterious, a little melancholic, and a little happy. What a composition. And, you played it nicely.

33. noobpianist90 - Sonatina in C Major - Op. 36 No. 3 Clementi sonatinas are always welcome around my ear. You played with a very steady pulse. It's a happy piece and you played it that way. Nice performance.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
28. Monica K. - Elements Really nicely played! I really like the use of dynamics to make the big build up and release. On listening a second time, I get the feeling this piece is much more challenging technically than I may have first suspected.

29. Greywullf - Lyric Pieces That's a nice set of pieces and very well played.

30. fishandchips - Invention 11 in G minor BWV 782 Nicely done! Your technique was very clean, confident, and smooth.

31. EdmondRhapsody - Mission Impossible Theme Great energy and drama in that piece. You did a great job keeping that left hand rhythm steady to keep the energy going throughout.

32. tjbron (Tom) - Nocturne in F sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2 That seems like a piece with several complex layers, but it was easy and pleasant to listen to. I enjoyed all 8 minutes.

33. noobpianist90 - Sonatina in C Major - Op. 36 No. 3 Nice job! Really clean performance. A joy to listen to.

34. GoldmanT - Sebastian's Place The dissonance in this piece is not overly harsh to my ears. I like the bizarre sound. It stimulates the imagination. I enjoyed listening to this piece.

35. Piano2138 - Witches and Wizards Believe it not, this was the recital piece I was looking forward to hearing the most. I think it was because I heard it once before and remembered the title. I think you played it well and conveyed that overall mysterious feeling.

36. MeganR - Aria Bist du Bei Mir BWV 508 That was a majestically beautiful rendition!

37. Piano_primo_1 - Elegy Nice elegantly played piece!

38. Balezin Dmitry - Valse d'Amelie That seems like a pretty technically challenging piece, but you played it well and I enjoyed it.

39. Jouishy - Sonata in C major - K545 1st movement Sometimes this sonata is called "facile" or "easy" but don't fall for it. It's not actually very easy. RCM has it at grade 8. I think you have a lot to be proud of here!

Originally Posted by cmb13
50. PikaPianist - Scene Romantique Op. 101, No. 5 Absolute perfection. Such awesome dynamic range, nice melody. I also like the lighting - how do you achieve that? If I try to film in dinner light it just blurs. Are you using very high end video recording equipment?

Thank you. I don't have fancy equipment at the moment. Just using my iPhone 8 to record the video.

"Without music, life would Bb."

Piano: Estonia L210 (2018)
VST: VI Labs Ravenscroft
My channel: www.youtube.com/c/MXChan
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by SMA55
06. wouter79 - L'avalanche, Op.45 No. 2
A piece like this definitely would challenge one’s ability to play evenly. I think you’re doing really good work on it. Keep it up!

I'm happy to hear that it sounds good , I must make some progress in the evenness department smile

Originally Posted by Qwerty53

I’ve been lurking. I almost got a recording prepared to submit. It would be my first. Maybe next time! Meanwhile, I want to express my appreciation for all those who take the time to share their music.

06. wouter79 - L'avalanche, Op.45 No. 2
Heller is new to me; need to find more. Well played! (A Grotrian! Were your mIcrophones in very close?)

Welcome, thanks for commenting and hopefully we'll hear you next time smile
Thanks for your comments. It's a Grotrian 189, which is an older model from Grotrian. They replaced it with the Grotrian 192. And that one is a bit too loud for my small appartment.
No the mics are not close at all. IMHO close mic'ing is more for jazz stuff. Classical needs a tiny bit of room reverb with it (and the pianst should use that to shape the music). The mic is about a meter outside the piano (full open lid). I use a jecklin disk , DPA4060 mics and EMU0404 ADC.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PikaPianist

Thank you. I don't have fancy equipment at the moment. Just using my iPhone 8 to record the video.

Really? My iPhone 7+ doesn't get video like that. How about the lighting - is it dark except for a piano light?

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
48. Mr Super Hunky - All By Myself /Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18

I was expecting this - I listened twice - I was surprise and delighted anyway...

Awesome conception - awesome performance - awesome talent...

It would be awesome if you continued to bring your awesomeness here every Recital...

Now we know what the Super in Super Hunky refers to...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
11. UnderConstruction - Beethoven Sonata Op2 No1 - Movement 1

Fantastic setup and playing. Love the piano. I thought the recording was great.

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Theme from "Limelight"

Never knew that about Chaplin. Thanks for the introduction, well played.

13. pathguy - Peace

Not to familiar with Winston. Nicely played!

14. Sam S - Piano Sonata k332 1st mvt

Well done, fantastic! Now that's a real recital piece, and not an exercise in video/audio composition. I enjoyed listening and watching.

20. Ralph L. - A thousand years

Nicely played Ralph. It's a pretty piece.

21. Handyman - North American Medley: America, the Beautiful and O Canada

Nice breakfast, well done wink Thanks for playing something different!

22. akc42 / Alan Chandler - J.S Bach Invention No 8

Enjoyed the invention, tricky one to play fast smile

30. fishandchips - Invention 11 in G minor BWV 782

Nice invention, I like the minor ones smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
26. Sandalholme - Prelude Op28 No15 (Erard 1849 piano) A lovely rendition, I think not too many raindrops went "rogue". smile

27. Snejana - Hummingbird Memories Loved how you made those few little adjustments to make it your own. Definitely evocative of hummers.

28. Monica K. - Elements Really liked this, great dynamics.

29. Greywullf - Lyric Pieces These pieces were so well played, very expressive.

30. fishandchips - Invention 11 in G minor BWV 782 Very impressed that you played this so well after less than 2 years!

31. EdmondRhapsody - Mission Impossible Theme I smiled when this started, I loved that show! Great job with this theme song.

32. tjbron (Tom) - Nocturne in F sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2 Very beautiful piece, your playing was evocative and exressive.

33. noobpianist90 - Sonatina in C Major - Op. 36 No. 3 Really super, loved your light touch, very lively and convincing.

34. GoldmanT - Sebastian's Place Cool! Found myself pleasantly "lost in the mist", but sure enjoyed the journey.

35. Piano2138 - Witches and Wizards A fun piece indeed, well done!

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

[b]21. Handyman - North American Medley: America, the Beautiful and O Canada

Nice breakfast, well done wink Thanks for playing something different!

You're welcome bSharp - but It was actually lunch, or more specifically, brunch - and yes, it was well done - both the eggs and bacon...and "playing something different" is what one does when one does not have the requisite skills and technique to perform - gasp! - Classical music (although both pieces I played are kind of "classical", in their own unique way, if only based on their longevity...)

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
2nd half of recitals submits--
Thanks for comments left on my suborbital. There were many Impressive pieces this
recital.. unitl next one!
29. Greywullf - Lyric Pieces melodic easy listening enjoyed th acoustic piano sound , good recording!. Loved the chordal motifs of the second and third movements. …. Anyway, enjoyed the listen .

30. fishandchips - Invention 11 in G minor BWV 782 impressive playing and super acoustic piano sound.

31. EdmondRhapsody - Mission Impossible Theme Wheew, dig the sound and playing! Enjoyed the piece and great recording!)

32. tjbron (Tom) - Nocturne in F sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2 A super good classical and beautiful piece to play; one of pieces that evoke the mixture of dark and light emotions…. in other words, I liked the piece and playing. Enjoyed the acoustic piano sound and great recording!

33. noobpianist90 - Sonatina in C Major - Op. 36 No. 3 Excellent playing and recording. Enjoyed the piece and how well it was done.e.g. tempo exact, dynamics were steady and clarity of sound!

34. GoldmanT - Sebastian's Place wow, abstract- wind chime like, Enojyed the listen – nice piano [kawai]by the way.

35. Piano2138 - Witches and Wizards fun kinda piece ,well played , enjoyed the listen. –different and short!

36. MeganR - Aria Bist du Bei Mir BWV 508 Bach music , well played. Nice acoustic sound…. Steady tempo executed! Enjoyed the listen . I know when I play Bach [this may not be for everybody,] but it helps me to listen to other renditions on YouTube that are very well played, although many of them differ, but it helps with the timing and dynamics, touch etc. Anyway Like this a lot.

37. Piano_primo_1 - Elegy ME…Well,, YAY!

38. Balezin Dmitry - Valse d'Amelie Impressive ,excellent playing…. executed perfectly! I enjoyed listening …Bravo!!!

39. Jouishy - Sonata in C major - K545 1st movement Really fine playing, actually exquisite touch and dynamics… Enjoyed the listening … Super piano sound and recording!

40. Serge88 - The Entertainer Nice sound and recording well played , enjoyed the listen …[one thing, the dynamics seemed too even, rather than emphasizing the movement of the piece!]

41. joangolfing - Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman" Well done considering that I know this is a very difficult piece[s]. Increasing the tempo would help but that only makes it harder to play. Enjoyed the listen and well done!!!!)

42. Keselo - Bed-Time Story Super dynamics and touch , enjoyed the listen , good recording technique.

43. SwissMS/Doris - French Suite V - Gigue Impressive, really executed well. Nice and definite clean clear touch! When I began piano, 8 or so years ago a librarian at my local library mentioned she did not play piano but has a Bosendorfer, I looked at her blankly, [wasn’t familiar with brands eight years ago] to which she just sighed and walked away!
The point is.. Impressive piano also!

44. PianogrlNW - Sonata in B minor, K. 87 Beautiful piece and well played! Enjoyed the listen !

45. mel_lem (Melanie) - Etude No. 7Way keeeewl! I like this … “just “chillin” when I should be” kind of feeling it evokes. Great piano sound and recording!

46. jotur/Cathy Turner - The Easy Winners I know this is challenge to play just right but you did quite well , enjoyed the listen.. Congrats on the new piano ….

47. SleepyBear - Powder Snow well it almost sounds as Debussy’s " Claire de lune" in he beginning. Well played, but heavy chorused sound throughout…., well done; but maybe the recording technique is not appropriate to the acoustics of the piano or room.

48. Mr Super Hunky - All By Myself /Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 Impressive, great piano sound and playing! Moving, emotive dynamics, this is really super piano playing , you must have four hands  ! Enjoyed the listen!

49. peterws - Far Away Beautiful piece and super piano playing touch tempo and dynamics… Enjoyed the listen !

50. PikaPianist - Scene Romantique Op. 101, No. 5 Impressive video and piano playing! Enjoyed this piece … Great Sound touch and touch.

51. Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Tangerine Enjoyed the listen good piano playing and recording !

52. Ralphiano (Ralph) - Prelude Well played, nice piano too! Enjoyed the listen. This piece is very short and I’m not familiar with it, [seems like strings acc. might “fill it in” some. [[ Hey wait …I do that!}]] Anyway, enjoyed the listen and thumbs up with the studio project.!

53. Schinl / Schin Loong - "Chopin" from Schumann's Carnaval beautiful delicately played piece. Enjoyed the listen , well recorded and great sound to this!

54. cmb13 - Craig - Well Tempered Clavier Prelude in C Nice even tempo and playing ,; thing about this piece is that you can make it sound as dramtic or even as you’d want with dynamics and touch, once it learnt.!

55. dddaaannn - Mignon, op. 68, no. 35 Hmmm nice melodic and somber playing… enjoyed this to round off the recital .. Thanks and enjoyed the relaxing listen !

S
S
11. UnderConstruction - Beethoven Sonata Op2 No1 - Movement 1
I think you did great with this piece! A little unevenness here and there, but this is not at all an easy piece! Well done!

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Theme from "Limelight"
I didn’t know that Chaplin wrote his own music. And I’m not familiar with this piece, but your performance was quite lovely. Great job!

13. pathguy - Peace
I recognize these chords from this piece (no pun intended) on Winston’s album, “December”. Brings back some nice memories, too. I think you’re doing fantastic for someone who’s only been playing 7 months! I hope you’ll keep it up and learn this whole piece.

14. Sam S - Piano Sonata k332 1st mvt
Very well done, Sam! If this is you playing the piece cold at a recital, I’d love to hear it once you’ve warmed up. Because I was impressed at how well you played this. I understand 100% the difficulty of playing at a recital comprised of lots of pianists. In addition to my hating having my fingers get cold and stiff from the waiting, I personally cannot stand having all of that time to begin doubting myself, no matter how secure I felt going into the recital. Again, great job, Sam!

15. Ted Jones - Improvisation
I can certainly appreciate the skill you have at improvising, as well as your technical ability. But I must be honest and say that pure improvisation sounds and feels to me like aimless meandering with little to no apparent motive or organization. In my view, music with a stream of consciousness approach alone is a lazy man’s means to composition/performance, in that little planning or thought is required to do it. In that sense, perhaps a better term for it would be “stream of unconsciousness composing/performance”. The music that results is indulgent, lacks a framework or context, and like an animal without a skeleton, it can’t support much weight and just sort of limply crumbles to the ground. Furthermore, by its very nature, it never pushes the improviser to perform or compose beyond one’s present technical ability—because one can only play what one can already play, as it were. But don’t misconstrue what I’m saying. It’s not that I think improvisation is without merit; I think applied judiciously within a framework, it allows a composition to be adaptable to the moment, to be a living and breathing entity. And the classical tradition’s body of work, with our modern emphasis on precise and authentic recitation of it, largely lacks these attributes, and as a result may well eventually go the route of the dinosaur. But from what you’ve indicated, Ted, you yourself love your own approach at improvisation, and it gives you pleasure. So it really matters little what I or anyone else thinks.

16. Riddler (Ed) - Darn That Dream
I love this piece and your rendition of it, Ed! As always your playing is so very warm and sentimental. Excellent!

17. JoBert - Sonata 25 (Opus 79) - 2nd Movement - Andante
Restrained and a bit somber, listening to this piece and your excellent performance of it was a great way to wake up this morning. Well done!

18. Tubbie0075 - La Colombe (the Dove)
I’m not much of a fan of Messiaen’s compositions, as I don’t find them especially accessible. But I can certainly appreciate your performance of this one and agree 100% with your examiner’s comments that you provided. Very good work!

19. zsolpyW - Oblivion
I think this is a very worthy effort of quite a romantic composition. But I’ve heard this piece arranged for strings, and I have to be honest and say that I think it works better that way. Did you say that you got your arrangement for piano from vkgoeswild? In any case, you did a really good job with what you were given!

20. Ralph L. - A thousand years
You’re doing a really good job for someone who’s only been playing 18 months. But I must comment on your technique: your left hand appears very awkward in position and is playing with what appears to be a lot of tension. This may eventually cause you injury or at the very least limit your abilities, and it may prove to be a difficult habit to correct later after it has become ingrained. If you are not already taking lessons from a competent teacher, I highly recommend it.

K
K
13. pathguy - Peace – Beautiful piece, I can see why you want to play it so badly. You played it very well for a beginner of 7 months!

14. Sam S - Piano Sonata k332 1st mvt – Mozart’s music seems so very unforgiving to play at such a recital, so I first of all admire the bravery of your piece selection. It helps that you can play it very well, it’s not hard to hear through your “cold and fumbling fingers” how well you know the piece. Great performance.

15. Ted Jones - Improvisation – I love the temperament that your improvisation has. At times, it seems keen to gently take you with it, but then a sudden jerk drags you to this new idea. I absolutely loved it.

16. Riddler (Ed) - Darn That Dream – Beautiful. I simply have no other words. Bravo.

17. JoBert - Sonata 25 (Opus 79) - 2nd Movement - Andante – I’m not familiar with this Sonata, but what a treat it proved to be. You play amazingly well.

18. Tubbie0075 - La Colombe (the Dove) – That’s so dreamy, Messiaen is such a brilliant composer. And I agree wholeheartedly with your examiner’s comments, you sound completely at ease and are allowed to play freely and to the best of your abilities.

19. zsolpyW - Oblivion – I have never heard of this composer, so first of all thank you for introducing me to his music. I very much enjoyed listening to your recording, bravo.

I've started playing January 2017, Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.

[Linked Image]
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
My last set of comments. I enjoyed this recital. Thanks Monica for all the hard work you put in to make these recitals a success.

42. Keselo - Bed-Time Story Your performance captures the bittersweet mood of this piece. Nicely played! Thanks for including the background description.

43. SwissMS/Doris - French Suite V - Gigue I like your pacing, evenness of tempo and drive. Great sound from your Bosie.

45. mel_lem (Melanie) - Etude No. 7 You got my feet tapping with this Peterson etude. Great playing with a lot of confidence. Sounds like a fun piece to play.

46. jotur/Cathy Turner - The Easy Winners I enjoyed your performance. Nicely played.

47. SleepyBear - Powder Snow I see what you mean about this piece getting progressively more difficult. You seem able to play the chaotic parts with ease. I don’t think the recording did justice for your performance. Not sure if it was the recording device or if your piano is out of tune.

48. Mr Super Hunky - All By Myself /Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 You give a confident performance. Nicely played and love those embellishments. Your M&H BB sounds great!

49. peterws - Far Away I like your tempo and harmonic progressions. Sounds like a very sophisticated composition. Bravo!

50. PikaPianist - Scene Romantique Op. 101, No. 5 Beautiful playing. You are such an expressive pianist with a colorful palette. I always enjoy listening to your performances. And thank you for playing a gorgeous Sibelius piece. I am unfamiliar with his piano works.

51. Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Tangerine Cool, jazzy piece. Great performance.

52. Ralphiano (Ralph) - Prelude Nicely played. Good luck with building your new piano studio.

53. Schinl / Schin Loong - "Chopin" from Schumann's Carnaval Your performance is impressive for playing this piece only for two weeks. You have a good handle on how this piece should sound and my guess is that in a couple of months it will have a wider range of expression.

54. cmb13 - Craig - Well Tempered Clavier Prelude in C Nicely played. I think if you use a metronome and slow the tempo your playing will become more even.

55. dddaaannn - Mignon, op. 68, no. 35 Nicely played. One suggestion is to try to bring out that top note and melodic line.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
40. Serge88 - The Entertainer Those detatched notes in the left hand were really cool. It really added to the overall sensation of fun.

41. joangolfing - Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman" It would be an interesting exercise to see how many could listen to these variations without seeing their title, or any other clue that they were related to “Ah, Vous....” and make the connection. Every time I hear these, I do not know they are related until seeing the title. Your performance was pleasing to listen to.

42. Keselo - Bed-Time Story Well played. It's a very musical piece that allows for a lot of expression. I got the impression that you executed it just as you wanted. You always seemed in control of this one. Nice performance!

49. peterws - Far Away You're an inspiration! It is wonderful how you can pick a chord, understand all that melds with and complements it, and then, just make music. I always enjoy your performances. Well done!

50. PikaPianist - Scene Romantique Op. 101, No. 5 This piece evokes imagery of the loneliness, solitude, peace, and mystique that my mind associates with Scandinavia. I wonder if he meant it that way. I think you played it wonderfully, I enjoyed it throughout.

51. Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Tangerine I remember this piece from my youth, sung by someone like Steve Lawrence or Andy Williams. It's nice that you can play and reproduce the melody from ear. Well done!

07. MarieJ - Password This was a lovely performance, very pleasing. I'm terribly sorry about your loss. I hope you will keep playing, continue hanging out with us, and keep bringing your performances to the recitals. And, how nice that John enjoyed your music. Please keep playing.

08. earlofmar - A Giddy Girl Nice playing, the audience was spell bound! And, those cross overs were buttery smooth. The picture above your piano looks like your dogs. How did you get them to sit for the portrait?

09. Moo smile - Prelude from Prelude & Fugue in F minor, Op. 35 No. 5 Keeping the melody above the right hand accompaniment seemed a formidable task given how much the right hand had to do. I think you did well.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission