Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
108 registered members (Bett, Abdol, 36251, anotherscott, AssociateX, amethyst16, AWilley, 27 invisible), 1,637 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
How many measures for the subject? #2759979
08/20/18 08:59 PM
08/20/18 08:59 PM
Columbus, ohio, USA
C
caters Offline OP
caters  Offline OP
C

Columbus, ohio, USA
I am planning on writing a fugue by itself before I try to put a fugue into a sonata. I am reading up on fugues, particularly how to write them. I know counterpoint and I composed a canon so this shouldn't be all that much trouble. I plan to have 4 voices in my fugue for the purposes of balance(after all I am writing for the piano and having 2 voices per clef seems more balanced than just having 3 voices(2 in the treble clef and 1 in the bass clef) But there is 1 thing I am wondering. How long should the subject be?

Right now I am trying to compose a fugue in C minor and I have this so far for the subject:

Notes
G, F, Eb, D, Eb, D, C, Bb, C, Rest
Beats
1, 2, 3 4, 1, +, 2, +, 3, +, 4

That is just 2 measures. Now of course I could change the time signature and I might after I have all the notes down if I feel that 4/4 is not a good time signature. And of course changing the time signature will change the number of measures 1 theme or subject takes up.

But, I feel that 2 measures is insufficient for a fugue subject. And I have heard from Classical FM's article on 10 steps to write an amazing fugue, that some short musical idea like one that takes up 2 measures, needs to be expanded upon for a fugue subject, otherwise there isn't implied harmony when you get to writing the countersubject.

Is 2 measures sufficient or should I expand upon these 2 measures for the subject of my fugue?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How many measures for the subject? [Re: caters] #2760056
08/21/18 10:53 AM
08/21/18 10:53 AM
Germany
E
Eric399 Offline
Eric399  Offline
E

Germany
Have you studied Bach's Welltempered Clavier? That could teach you a lot about suitable themes for fugues. The length is not as important as the character - the theme should be instantly recogniseable every time it reappears, even with all the other voices around it.

Re: How many measures for the subject? [Re: caters] #2760186
08/21/18 10:36 PM
08/21/18 10:36 PM
Urbandale, Iowa
S
Steve Chandler Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Steve Chandler  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Urbandale, Iowa
Listening is crucial to learning the art of composing fugues. Bach is the best place to start when it comes to composing a fugue, but plenty of other composers have written admirable themes. Mendelssohn, Franck, Beethoven, Liszt and then there are 20th century fugue composers. Ives wrote a fugue (in 4 keys IIRC), Barber wrote an awesome one in his Piano Sonata, Shostakovich, wrote 24 preludes and fugues. If you've studied and analyzed even some of these you wouldn't be asking internet strangers how to write a fugue theme.

I could say your subject is too short but Bach wrote a lengthy fugue in C major on a theme of just two bars. It starts at 4:29 of this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvVFRo_4b0o
BTW, this fugue uses just about every device in fugal writing, inversion, stretto, inversion and stretto simulatneously and then the pedal comes in with augmentation and all three happen simultaneously. This is old Bach at his best.

The important aspect of a fugue theme is that it must be recognizable and memorable. I didn't quite get the rhythm of your theme, but if I was using your notes it would be quarter, quarter, dotted quarter, eighth, eighth, eighth, eighth, eighth, land in a quarter note low G instead of c, then quarter rest. BUT, that's probably just the first phrase. Have you analyzed fugue subjects and their fugues? You say you know counterpoint, that's a good starting point. If I was you I'd start with writing a fugal exposition, it's a smaller bite of the apple. Then I'd start working out what could be done with the theme, inversion, stretto, counter subjects/secondary themes, episodic development, augmentation/diminution.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Name of fingering technique
by spartan928. 06/19/19 10:23 PM
any digital pianos with real piano mechanism
by Mike Mey. 06/19/19 06:32 PM
Edition for Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 by Liszt
by Candywoman. 06/19/19 03:50 PM
Layering sampled and modeled piano sounds
by Robhatherton. 06/19/19 12:54 PM
Charge per lesson or per semester?
by BluMunk. 06/19/19 11:55 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,609
Posts2,839,863
Members93,657
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission