2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
57 members (Beowulf, Barrett Bonden, cmb13, CYama, clothearednincompo, Bill McKaig,RPT, David B, 7 invisible), 556 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
You gotta EQ your monitors..... home use
#2759865 08/20/18 12:24 PM
OP Offline
RD-2000

First, I am a hack, not a gigging pro.

Moral of my story: if you want your keyboard to sound its best, you must play it back with a high-quality sound system.... not a volume blaster, but a high fidelity playback system.

I was not happy with the sounds out of my RD-2000 via my sound setup but was through the headphones.... so the problem was my sound system. I don't use a PA system or those crap monitors in the stores.... I want a big full sound so I use some old stereo equipment I had around.... an Adcom GFA 545 II and some big heavy A/D/S bookshelf speakers. Unfortunately, this is not a high-fidelity system so I needed to do some tweaking. I will get a better setup some day, but until then, you can improve your setup through some good EQ'ng. I pulled out and old Nikko 10-band equalizer I purchased circa 1979, hooked up a CD player, and played some test tones using a Stereophile test disc with warbles.

My 10-band Nikko equalizer looks like the swiss alps!

If you are thinking this '70s vintage piece of equipment will kill sound quality, well you are wrong. It already is not very good and this thing made it sound well… less turdy.

I used and old Stereophile test CD to make this work… it has 1/3 octave warbles… just fantastic and far superior than single frequency test tones. I set my old Realistic sound pressure meter to SLOW response and the old fashion VU meter stays steady. 1/3 octave warbles are great for smoothing and ignoring single frequency standing waves. John Atkinson did a nice job with these tones.

The challenge was the 1/3 octaves don’t match a 10-band equalizer… the equalizer has a slider for each octave (doubling of frequency) and the bumps and valleys don’t match what I was reading so a ton of trial and error and you just have to make it as smooth as you can get it.

I tested it with some Dave Brubeck I am intimately familiar with… boy it sound 10 times better with the Nikko EQ in there. I can see (or remember) why these EQs were so popular back in the day… they really did improve turdy equipment! Don’t let anyone tell you can’t polish these things… you can.

Here is a picture of the rig with the Realistic meter in the foreground… I actually had the meter set up deeper into the room… and my beloved Accuphase CD player and processor. The Nikko and Adcom amp are on the floor. Those two rods in the middle support my laptop for connection to the Roland … I do fantasy arranging… fantasy because my skills are also turdy. Beer is a nice polish for turdy talent.

Anywho.... my RD-2000 sounds really nice now... big, full, and not mucky and congested as it was sounding. And I sit right in the middle of it all. Nice.

I guess I will start looking for some powered monitors… maybe go used… anybody have a recommendation something for around $2k used?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

[Linked Image]

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: You gotta EQ your monitors..... home use
Bruce In Philly #2759868 08/20/18 12:42 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Glad that worked.

That is a monster Accuphase CD player.

A few tips as I also use monitors and an old stereo amplifier for music and my digital piano.

1. Your ADS bookshelf speakers are probably not near-field. That means they likely will sound better at least a meter away from your ears.

2. Try moving the monitors say a meter away from the back wall.

3. Try not to use EQ to boost anything ever; if you must use EQ, just trim the most outrageous peaks just a bit.

4. Getting "perfectly" flat fq response is impossible. Nearly flat fq response sounds, well, flat. One simple adjustment to bring some life back to loudspeakers is slightly boosting lower frequencies. You can look at EQ "house curves" in audiophile sites

Bruce In Philly #2759902 08/20/18 03:20 PM
G
G
I got a pair of Focal Alpha 80 monitors, and they sound fantastic. When I play Garritan CFX through them, I almost feel like I'm playing a real grand piano. They're way better than the stock speakers on my Casio Privia.

Two of these monitors will cost only $1000 brand new. They're about the same size as the speakers in your photo.

If you get them from Musician's Friend and sign up for their Backstage Pass, you'll get 8% back in reward points as well.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focal-alpha-80-studio-monitor-single

By the way, the speakers only have XLR and RCA inputs (no phono), so you may need to get the appropriate cables.

Bruce In Philly #2759907 08/20/18 03:37 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I'm of the opinion that speakers should be heard and not seen. To obviate the need for top quality speakers, or mediocre plus equaliser, why not go for a pair of supermarket headphones? They'll sound little different to lower grade named ones; in some cases a lot better. Mine cost me £18, they reduce the volume of my wife quite nicely and any speakers I play the piano through are guaranteed to sound tremendous . . . .
But then, Pianoteq has its own equaliser.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Bruce In Philly #2759917 08/20/18 04:43 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You guys are gonna be the death of me.

I shed my G.A.S. and I've not bought anything for the piano in a long while. (Yes, I got new headphones, but those were a birthday gift in March. I've not spent a dime.)

But now your raves are giving me the urge to get new monitors. And not cheap ones, either.

You guys are gonna be the death of me.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio CDP-S350 / 150 now available in USA
by PianoManChuck - 07/12/20 11:46 AM
Brodmann vs Boston vs Yamaha?
by sdag - 07/12/20 10:12 AM
Warning for second hand sellers
by KevinM - 07/12/20 09:36 AM
Key weight setting
by CajunJ - 07/12/20 09:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,218
Posts2,979,843
Members97,750
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission