Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
70 registered members (AprilE, ando, Agent88, almo82, Anticlock, Baroque Style, 21 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Grazilerimba] #2758785
08/16/18 01:40 AM
08/16/18 01:40 AM
J
jeremy12 Offline
jeremy12  Offline
J

Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
Bought the LE version. Didn't spend too much time with it yet, but here's some first impressions.

The Compact version doesn't provide a good representation of this instrument, to me personally there's no comparison to the LE version. Additionally, I'd say that the Kontakt version feels a lot more "sturdy". I don't like the sforzando sampler too much.

The instrument sounds very beautiful and rich. Playability is solid so far, but the velocity controls are only pretty basic. You can choose between two curve types and then you have a knob for changing that curve. There's no way to add points or something like that. From what I can see, the Production Grand 2 had the same lack of finer velocity controls. I don't like that.

The sound is superb, and the microphones are a joy to experiment with. There's this whole ambisonics thing that I don't fully understand yet. You can do some kind of positional room micing and there's a deluge of settings and presets for it. I tried out some stuff and the sound is very nice. The sheer amount of customization of the sound will make advanced users who might come from the pro audio scene very happy, I'd suppose.

There is one thing that bothers me, and that's a part in the upper registers of about one or two octaves that feels a lot quieter than the rest. This was already present in the Compact version and I notice it here very strongly. It's as if he accidentally used una chorda samples for the notes in the question, that's how significantly different these keys feel to me. I'd like to hear the opinion of other users about this though, because in the past I have viewed such things very differently from other users here.

I did not notice any out of tune notes or anything, and besides this above mentioned range, the rest of the keyboard felt pretty even so far.

I guess in Kontakt you can probably make individual notes louder? Perhaps I can try to fix that segment myself somehow.

If the LE samples already sound so rich I wonder how the bigger samples must sound.

The instrument is fun to play with so far. I'll spend some more time with it and then write some more thoughts.

How are you finding the playability compared to vsl cfx or garritan cfx? Those have long been my favorite libraries and nothing else I've tried has even come close to the playability that those two libraries give me. Unfortunately, they're both samples based on the cfx and I really want a good steinway library.

I'm thinking about taking the plunge for this library during the promotional pricing period but I've purchased several libraries lately that sounded good in the demos and were not enjoyable to play at all (the latest being the new embertone steinway).

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: jeremy12] #2758789
08/16/18 02:13 AM
08/16/18 02:13 AM
T
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline
T

Originally Posted by jeremy12
How are you finding the playability compared to vsl cfx or garritan cfx? Those have long been my favorite libraries and nothing else I've tried has even come close to the playability that those two libraries give me. Unfortunately, they're both samples based on the cfx and I really want a good steinway library.

I'm thinking about taking the plunge for this library during the promotional pricing period but I've purchased several libraries lately that sounded good in the demos and were not enjoyable to play at all (the latest being the new embertone steinway).

A VSL Steinway is not a far fetched realization since they have one in the Synchron stage. When will they sample it no one knows.

Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: jeremy12] #2758828
08/16/18 07:06 AM
08/16/18 07:06 AM
K
karvala Offline
500 Post Club Member
karvala  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Originally Posted by jeremy12

I've just been testing the Concert Grand LE as well. I'll post some review comments when I've played it a bit longer, but I can answer this easily now: playability is, in my view, substantially lower than those two, which both remain top of the playability list for me as well, by some margin. I agree it would be great to have a Steinway sound with the same quality and playability as the CFX instruments, but this definitely isn't it. I'm also hopeful that VSL will sample their Steinway (which is a far superior acoustic instrument to the one used here as well), which could be very interesting.

Last edited by karvala; 08/16/18 07:06 AM.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: karvala] #2758914
08/16/18 11:54 AM
08/16/18 11:54 AM
Moscow, Russia
M
Max_Forte Offline
Max_Forte  Offline
M

Moscow, Russia
I find its playability great but I don't have CFXs, so can't compare them. Feeling under the fingers reminds me of Pianoteq. Sure in these terms Pianoteq is The King and is VERY FAR away from ANY SAMPLED piano, but it's easy to jump from Pianoteq to the Concert Grand during playing without any adaptation. Can't say anything about half-pedaling as my single pedal is an "ON-OFF" switch.

Beautiful rich sound. Much better than on demos.

Casio PX-350
Komplete 10 Ult.: UVI - Falcon; Pianoteq - 6 Std; Galaxy - Vintage D; PV - Concert Grand LE, Production Grand - 2 LE, Estate Grand; Lounge Lizard EP-4; Neo-Soul Keys; AS - C7 Grand; Addictive Keys- All
Zoom UAC-2; Matrix M-Stage Classic 2 - Beyerdynamic DT-880 PRO; JBL - LSR305
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: jeremy12] #2758947
08/16/18 01:52 PM
08/16/18 01:52 PM
G
Grazilerimba Offline
Grazilerimba  Offline
G

@jeremy12, I'd say the playability so far feels very solid, but I'd agree with karvala that it is below the Garritan CFX in that regard. I'd say though that it isn't too far off. The bad thing really is the lack of velocity options (pretty poor for a piano library in 2018) as well as that range in the upper registers that feels very quiet. Although, the VSL CFX has even less options with a cryptic 'midi sensitivity' slider that doesn't allow any customization at all. Even poorer for 2018.

To the others who have bought this, would you agree about that range of keys in the upper registers that feels quieter than the rest? As I said it feels like he accidentally used una corda samples, that's how big the difference to the rest of the keyboard is to me.

This is not to take away anything from the fantastic sound of this, though. As I wrote above, the microphone options are really good. If you know your stuff in the pro audio world you'll love this.

Last edited by Grazilerimba; 08/16/18 01:53 PM.
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2758975
08/16/18 03:43 PM
08/16/18 03:43 PM
Moscow, Russia
M
Max_Forte Offline
Max_Forte  Offline
M

Moscow, Russia
Not sure on "Quite keys" I hear some differences in velocity: it's not just loudness but also a "color" of a tone.

But I have to say that Production Voices have to do some improvements and fixes on Kontakt script part of the instrument. There are many little issues that can upset your impressions of this really beautiful piano.

First flaw: It takes 28 - 45 seconds to fully load instrument (standalone). My system's specs are below.

How can I change the state of presets? I hate that when you choose a preset from the drop-down menu all mics are "ON"! Even those that are muted!
And it takes 3.2GB of RAM. It's not an issue with resources. I'm on Core i7 6700K + 16GB RAM, but it took too long to load samples! I have Kontakt installed on Samsung 850 Pro SSD which is used as a system drive, and samples on dedicated for VSTis Samsung 850 EVO SSD, so I can expect almost instant loading, but no...

[Linked Image]

The second screenshot shows switched off unused microphones and decreased RAM appetite

[Linked Image]

And don't be fooled by reverb field in the upper-right corner: If it shows something besides "BYPASS" it's not mean reverb is audible or switched on.
As you can see on the third screenshot you have to enter "Mixer" tab to turn "ON" the reverb!

[Linked Image]

You might think: Now reverb is really working! But not so fast! It's too easy for us, computer geeks, to be so.

What? You are not a geek... Unbelievable! But you had to go to the "Master FX" tab and add an amount to master send slider.

[Linked Image]

Just facepalm.

PV, please fix all errors and release an update.

Above all: I didn't expect such a brilliant quality of the Concert Grand. I like it very much! Superb sounding instrument.

Casio PX-350
Komplete 10 Ult.: UVI - Falcon; Pianoteq - 6 Std; Galaxy - Vintage D; PV - Concert Grand LE, Production Grand - 2 LE, Estate Grand; Lounge Lizard EP-4; Neo-Soul Keys; AS - C7 Grand; Addictive Keys- All
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2758982
08/16/18 04:00 PM
08/16/18 04:00 PM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
I don't have this piano, but when I load a multi it contains six pianos. The total load is 1.1 GB and it loads in seconds ... maybe ten seconds or so.

So ... if I were loading 3.2 GB then I, too, would likely see 28 - 45 second load times.
Ya wants da big sounds, ya gots ta loads da big RAM.

You could go into the Kontakt settings and reduce the per-sample load size. I think the default is 60 kB per sample.
Maybe if this were instead set to 30 kB the load time would drop in half?
It would then remain to be seen whether you'd suffer latency-related dropouts due to the reduced buffer size.

It's worth a try.

Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Max_Forte] #2758990
08/16/18 04:20 PM
08/16/18 04:20 PM
T
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline
T

Originally Posted by Max_Forte
Not sure on "Quite keys" I hear some differences in velocity: it's not just loudness but also a "color" of a tone.

But I have to say that Production Voices have to do some improvements and fixes on Kontakt script part of the instrument. There are many little issues that can upset your impressions of this really beautiful piano.

First flaw: It takes 28 - 45 seconds to fully load instrument (standalone). My system's specs are below.

How can I change the state of presets? I hate that when you choose a preset from the drop-down menu all mics are "ON"! Even those that are muted!
And it takes 3.2GB of RAM. It's not an issue with resources. I'm on Core i7 6700K + 16GB RAM, but it took too long to load samples! I have Kontakt installed on Samsung 850 Pro SSD which is used as a system drive, and samples on dedicated for VSTis Samsung 850 EVO SSD, so I can expect almost instant loading, but no...

[Linked Image]

The second screenshot shows switched off unused microphones and decreased RAM appetite

[Linked Image]

And don't be fooled by reverb field in the upper-right corner: If it shows something besides "BYPASS" it's not mean reverb is audible or switched on.
As you can see on the third screenshot you have to enter "Mixer" tab to turn "ON" the reverb!

[Linked Image]

You might think: Now reverb is really working! But not so fast! It's too easy for us, computer geeks, to be so.

What? You are not a geek... Unbelievable! But you had to go to the "Master FX" tab and add an amount to master send slider.

[Linked Image]

Just facepalm.

PV, please fix all errors and release an update.

Above all: I didn't expect such a brilliant quality of the Concert Grand. I like it very much! Superb sounding instrument.

Batch re-save, it will load faster.

Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: tdwctdwc] #2758996
08/16/18 04:43 PM
08/16/18 04:43 PM
Moscow, Russia
M
Max_Forte Offline
Max_Forte  Offline
M

Moscow, Russia
Thanks, tdwctdwc,
"Batch Re-Save" helped. Now loading takes 7 Seconds.

I did "Batch Re-Save" two times after copying into the installation folder as had to point the samples folder. Didn't think doing it from time to time is possible without any "Harm".

Casio PX-350
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759005
08/16/18 05:10 PM
08/16/18 05:10 PM
K
karvala Offline
500 Post Club Member
karvala  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Yes, there is undoubtedly a major problem with the amplitude of keys in the upper register; when you get more than an octave or so above C4, it is a lot quieter. I don't think it's mistaken una corda samples (though I know what you mean), I think it's a problem with the acoustic instrument itself. I don't know what instrument he sampled for this, nor how old it is, but it does not give a good account of itself. Apart from that very tired sounding upper range, there are notable timbre changes from note to the next, some further local amplitude differences, and some outright faults (e.g. play A1 with reasonable velocity, and enjoy the fog horn sound!). There are also numerous minor tuning problems (play a few octaves or fifths and listen through to the uncomfortable harmonics). All of suggests an older and not very well maintained instrument. I'm sure PV would beg to differ, but that's clearly what it sounds like.

In terms of playability: certainly the lack of the velocity curve options doesn't help, although as Grazlilerimba points out, the VSL CFX is arguably even worse in that regard. To me, though, playability is a measure of the level of nuance, of subtly, of variety, that can be achieved; it's tested by playing pieces that require very quiet, very carefully balanced sounds and ideally a variety of timbres. Both CFX instruments do this exceptionally well, largely because they are very evenly sampled, carefully processed, with integrated ambient sounds, wide dynamic range and a large number of sample layers (which turns out to be quite useful after all). By contrast, I find playability in this instrument is middling at best, because the attack is much too sharp even at low velocities, the tone too strident and the amplitude and timbre much too uneven to allow finely-nuanced control. For loud or busy music, this instrument would be fine; in fact, I think it would make quite a good pop piano. For classical, though, it's just too rough and in-your-face for my taste.

While I'm here, some further review comments. Download and installation was mixed: their server supports good download speeds, which is much to their credit, so it was downloaded in about three hours on my connection. On the other the other hand, the Connect software is awful, managing to randomly crash three times during the download, requiring attention each time. I was surprised by the total absence of installation instructions as well; it's fine for most of us here who are familiar with Kontakt and VSTis more generally, but a novice would likely be lost. And why no NI code so that it can be properly integrated into Kontakt? Other third-party piano libraries (CinePiano, Galaxy Vintage D etc.) manage it just fine.

The microphone options are good, though honestly, not quite as varied in sound as I was hoping; substantially less varied than the VSL CFX microphones, for example, although more varied than those in the TrueKeys pianos. The range of sound customisation options is good as well - including convolution and algorithmic builtin reverb, multi-band EQ, and most unusually, transient editing. Continuous and authentic pedal support is great to have, and the Ambisonics virtual speaker facility is a fantastic idea; it brings some Pianoteq-like features to a sampled instrument.

Unfortunately, though, a lot of it doesn't actually work as expected. The authentic pedal seems to be broken for me (anyone else tried it?), having a very strange effect on the sounds. Similarly, the Ambisonics options are less user-friendly than they could be, but more fundamentally also broken and creating very strange sounds. I hope both of those will be fixed in due course. The user interface also has some very strange behaviour; for example, selecting a convolution reverb setting on the Main page at the moment wipes out all of the other settings, so that all mics are turned off, all speakers are panned left, all volumes are minimised etc.. Some settings are present on multiple pages, but the settings are not always or reliably carried across from one page to another. Basically, it's clunky and buggy. It's usable, but it's a lot harder work than it needs to be.

Final comment: I've talked before about 'house styles' in virtual pianos, with particular brands have a particular approach to sampling, audio processing, scripting. This instrument is a further example of that; it is much close to the Production Grand (a Yamaha C7) in terms of sound, style, options, playability etc., then it is to Steinway Ds from other brands (e.g. The Grandeur, Galaxy Vintage D, TrueKeys American Grand, Ivory ACD etc.). That's not to say it doesn't sound like a Steinway - it just about does. Ultimately, if you like the Production Grand, you'll probably like this. If you don't like the Production Grand, you probably won't like this either.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759025
08/16/18 06:03 PM
08/16/18 06:03 PM
G
Grazilerimba Offline
Grazilerimba  Offline
G

Thank you Max Forte and karvala, great reviews. Yes I forgot to mention that I had similar bugs. Choosing a preset loads all mics at once even though only one or a few of them are active in the preset. I wonder why he decided to do it that way. Selecting Authentic Pedal also leads to a very strange sound for me, have to turn it off. Selecting a reverb from the main page leads to the same problems that karvala describes - all settings are set to zero, all microphone sliders are pulled all the way down, and when I try to pull them up, I can only hear sound on one side of the headphones. Have to restart Kontakt after that. My downloader also crashed multiple times. I think the software he uses is an open beta program? Gonna check out that note that you mentioned, reminds me of the Estate Grand which had similar issues (like chirping birds and loud thumping sounds if I remember correctly?). For what it's worth, the Embertone Walker also had at least one note that has a clearly audible snap or thud in a high velocity.

It really seems to be hard to deal with such a huge amount of samples. tens of thousands of sound files. You'd go crazy if you didn't do some form of batch processing, and perhaps you won't actually listen to every single sound for its entire duration. So I can understand that this happens, but it sucks of course, because once the recording is over, the sounds are there, end of story. Didn't someone tell me here that the Garritan CFX had to abandon one full note because of such an issue?

Glad that I am not the only one who has an issue with the upper part. It also seemed to me that this must have been because of the sampled instrument. I wonder if it is possible to raise the volume of the affected notes in Kontakt somehow. It seems to me that this sudden shift in timbre and volume is much bigger than in comparable situations in other piano VSTs.

Anyway, looks like the developer has some fixing to do. I feel sad that it went this way, because I really want him to succeed. he is visibly very passionate about this. and considering that he did all this by himself (that's correct, isn't it?), it is such an impressive accomplishment nevertheless.

I agree about the dynamic range of the VSL CFX. I ended up not using that on a regular basis, but whenever I return to it, the dynamic range is always the one thing that impresses me the most about it. Similar to the Vienna Imperial, that is a significant step up in liveliness, even better than the Garritan CFX in that respect. But I still prefer the latter because of its evenness and because the room ambience sounds more enjoyable than the Synchron Stage. A Synchron Steinway seems to be only a matter or time (it must certainly be called Synchron PianoS for a reason?), let's see what they bring to the table. I must admit that I despise their DRM/dongle policy so a part of me wishes that they don't release a good product (sorry) and also I tend to cut them a significantly lower amount of slack when it comes to flaws in their pianos. If you treat your customers like criminals then you better deliver a flawless top tier product. It is so interesting though, there's so many Steinways out there but not a single one that has reached the perfection of Garritan's CFX. This is why I would personally really like to see Garritan do another Steinway. They also have a respectable DRM policy.

Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: karvala] #2759029
08/16/18 06:22 PM
08/16/18 06:22 PM
A
angmyu Offline
angmyu  Offline
A

Originally Posted by karvala
The authentic pedal seems to be broken for me (anyone else tried it?), having a very strange effect on the sounds. Similarly, the Ambisonics options are less user-friendly than they could be, but more fundamentally also broken and creating very strange sounds. I hope both of those will be fixed in due course. The user interface also has some very strange behaviour; for example, selecting a convolution reverb setting on the Main page at the moment wipes out all of the other settings, so that all mics are turned off, all speakers are panned left, all volumes are minimised etc.. Some settings are present on multiple pages, but the settings are not always or reliably carried across from one page to another. Basically, it's clunky and buggy. It's usable, but it's a lot harder work than it needs to be.

Isn't that a problem that existed in Production Grand 2? I know Jason is a very passionate, sincere and capable man, but I wonder why he released without fixing all those errors.

Last edited by angmyu; 08/16/18 06:23 PM.

Garritan CFX full, VI Labs Ravenscroft 275, VI Labs True Keys, EWQL Pianos Platinum, PV Studio Grand LE, PV Concert Grand Compact, WS 1954 Baldwin Parlor Grand, VSL Vienna Imperial, VSL Yamaha CFX Full, UVI Grand Piano Collection, AS C7 Grand, Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D Lite
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Grazilerimba] #2759039
08/16/18 06:46 PM
08/16/18 06:46 PM
K
karvala Offline
500 Post Club Member
karvala  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
I agree about the dynamic range of the VSL CFX. I ended up not using that on a regular basis, but whenever I return to it, the dynamic range is always the one thing that impresses me the most about it. Similar to the Vienna Imperial, that is a significant step up in liveliness, even better than the Garritan CFX in that respect. But I still prefer the latter because of its evenness and because the room ambience sounds more enjoyable than the Synchron Stage. A Synchron Steinway seems to be only a matter or time (it must certainly be called Synchron PianoS for a reason?), let's see what they bring to the table. I must admit that I despise their DRM/dongle policy so a part of me wishes that they don't release a good product (sorry) and also I tend to cut them a significantly lower amount of slack when it comes to flaws in their pianos. If you treat your customers like criminals then you better deliver a flawless top tier product. It is so interesting though, there's so many Steinways out there but not a single one that has reached the perfection of Garritan's CFX. This is why I would personally really like to see Garritan do another Steinway. They also have a respectable DRM policy.

I'm undecided between VSL and Garritan for the CFX crown at the moment. I have great respect for the Garritan CFX for a number of reasons that I've gone into elsewhere, and it's undoubtedly the least flawed piano VSTi out there. The VSL CFX, though, has the edge on sound to me; it feels closer to playing and hearing an acoustic CFX, and that's quite compelling. The sound customisation options are also very good with those ten microphones and per-note editing. Ah, well, two great CFXs; what's not to like? I share your view on their DRM/dongle policy; I understand their argument but I don't think you should treat your customers as potential criminals. I don't understand why they don't allow an alternative internet licencing - which is supported by Steinberg in conjunction with the e-licencer dongle - and then there wouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, I have been impressed with their level of engagement in fixing problems with the instrument and releasing improvement; for example, I asked for a release sample control and sure enough they added one, asked me to beta test it and set parameters for it, and then put it in their public release. How many other developers would do that?

Would be nice to see a Steinway from either/both of those companies. I wouldn't be quite so optimistic about the Garritan one, though; their other piano libraries have been nothing special. I think the reason the CFX was so much better was that the Abbey Road team, who were very familiar with the space and instrument, were heavily involved in the sampling. You could say the same for the VSL CFX as well, but in their case that same team would also be doing their Steinway, so I'd be a bit more optimistic. There's a lesson for developers: don't go into an unfamiliar space with an unfamiliar instrument and expect to be able to sample it convincingly. Take advantage of existing recording studios with fine instruments and use the studio staff in the sampling.

Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759042
08/16/18 07:07 PM
08/16/18 07:07 PM
Moscow, Russia
M
Max_Forte Offline
Max_Forte  Offline
M

Moscow, Russia
I'm ok with the imperfection of some notes: It's like playing a live instrument. But I agree that first of all, they should choose a piano which is in excellent condition. It's strange to say such obvious things but In sampled piano VSTi, a piano itself and its condition is the essential factor!

Don't forget that we are kind of beta testers now. Now is time for PV to gather all feedbacks and take the measures.

It was the last time I purchased a Kontakt piano that wasn't created for the free Kontakt Player. As I said them it's not only about Kontakt license but first of all ease of activation, adding a library and using the normal "Library view". Many of PW users have a Kontakt or the Komplete.
There is a feeling that developers not offering "Kontakt Player" functionality act like amateurs. I don't know how much it costs but some not very big companies as Wavesfactoty, Embertone etc offer their products for a "Kontakt Player" and NKS support.

+1 for a new Steinway from Garritan.
+1000 Hate VSL's USB dongle policy which is even worse than the iLOK! Just think that if you lose your E-Licenser or it is stolen they will not restore your license! Ilok in comparison is much kinder and allow you to contact the vendor to ask for a free license replacement if you are not subscribed to "Zero downtime"!

iLOK, please forgive me all my negative words I expressed in your address! smile

Casio PX-350
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Max_Forte] #2759089
08/17/18 04:37 AM
08/17/18 04:37 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
iLOK, please forgive me all my negative words I expressed

Contrary to the mass fury found online for iLok, my experience with iLok (bought for EWQL instruments but now also running some other VSTs) has been good. It's one of the neatest licencing systems, allowing you to instantly license and enable any computer and keep a record of all your licenses online and in your computer.

Why do people hate it so much?

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759103
08/17/18 06:33 AM
08/17/18 06:33 AM
The Netherlands
P
pianistje Offline
pianistje  Offline
P

The Netherlands
Wow, so many different opinions and taste.
I think i'll pass this time after purchasing the Full Embertone and CinePiano..... both Steinway D's..
I like them both very much and as a result i deleted a few libraries (Hammersmith pro and Ravenscroft ) that i really didn't like.

Recently i am less and less pleased with the Garritan CFX ...... it still plays like a dream, but the sample fatigue has hit me hard with this one after a couple of years.
There's some sterile coldness in the sound i am hearing more and more lately....
It is even more appearent in the VSL CFX...... i don't own the latter but i heard quite a few demo's that surprised me a lot........ such a cold tone...

Yesterday i went to a shop who revised an eighties Yamaha C6 from my local theatre.
The craftsmen were all top Yamaha specialised and one of a kind and everything was new, from the strings, tuning pins, hammerheads and bridge pins etc.
The C6 was like new and extensive intonation made it sound and playable in the very best way possible.
Warm, clear and distinct.......
Nothing like the many mediocre C7's i personally know.....
Since i never layed my hands on the CFX myself, i asked the owner of this Yamaha working place and he told me he had tuned lots of them the last years during festivals.
Some were great, but others not so.....he chose his words carefully not to make any mistake...
To me the Synchron CFX sounds like i lesser piano, althaugh i only base this on the demo's....

In fact i think the CFX isn't my dream grand piano sound after all..... i am more and more falling in love again with Steinway.
If i didn't have the Embertone and CinePiano i surely would consider the PV concert grand.

For all the recent owners,...... enjoy your purchase to the max !

Last edited by pianistje; 08/17/18 06:35 AM.
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759216
08/17/18 01:34 PM
08/17/18 01:34 PM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
slobajudge  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

I agree with you Pianistje, I will also pass PV after I have Embertone. I dont like PV C7 and his Steinway reminds me too much of it. I have Garritan cfx and also VSL cfx and your observation is good, vsl cfx have very cold tone, and from the first day I don`t like his top notes. Now I even consider to sell it despite they are both very playable and good libraries. Sound wise no match for Embertone. Of course, let recent owners of PV Steinway to enjoy.

Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: slobajudge] #2759250
08/17/18 03:23 PM
08/17/18 03:23 PM
The Netherlands
P
pianistje Offline
pianistje  Offline
P

The Netherlands
Originally Posted by slobajudge
I agree with you Pianistje, I will also pass PV after I have Embertone. I dont like PV C7 and his Steinway reminds me too much of it. I have Garritan cfx and also VSL cfx and your observation is good, vsl cfx have very cold tone, and from the first day I don`t like his top notes. Now I even consider to sell it despite they are both very playable and good libraries. Sound wise no match for Embertone. Of course, let recent owners of PV Steinway to enjoy.

Ah thanks !!
Always good to keep some money in the pocket for the time being......and i value your opinion because i don’t know anyone who has so many piano libraries (with hands on experience) to compare..... grin

Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: pianistje] #2759254
08/17/18 03:49 PM
08/17/18 03:49 PM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
slobajudge  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Originally Posted by pianistje
Originally Posted by slobajudge

Ah thanks !!
Always good to keep some money in the pocket for the time being......and i value your opinion because i don’t know anyone who has so many piano libraries (with hands on experience) to compare..... grin

Thank you, I will do my best to give some advice about piano libraries respecting the fact that people are very different about sound they hear. Anyway this is the first time I don`t have a G.A.S about new PV Steinway and thats good. I need that update for Emberton and I am set for a long time I hope smile

Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: angmyu] #2759271
08/17/18 04:42 PM
08/17/18 04:42 PM
K
karvala Offline
500 Post Club Member
karvala  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Originally Posted by angmyu
The authentic pedal seems to be broken for me (anyone else tried it?), having a very strange effect on the sounds. Similarly, the Ambisonics options are less user-friendly than they could be, but more fundamentally also broken and creating very strange sounds. I hope both of those will be fixed in due course. The user interface also has some very strange behaviour; for example, selecting a convolution reverb setting on the Main page at the moment wipes out all of the other settings, so that all mics are turned off, all speakers are panned left, all volumes are minimised etc.. Some settings are present on multiple pages, but the settings are not always or reliably carried across from one page to another. Basically, it's clunky and buggy. It's usable, but it's a lot harder work than it needs to be.

Isn't that a problem that existed in Production Grand 2? I know Jason is a very passionate, sincere and capable man, but I wonder why he released without fixing all those errors.

Sorry, missed this yesterday. Yes, I believe you're correct. I'm not sure I entirely understand his approach either; he does leave some bugs permanently unfixed while moving on to new products, which is not good. It's also clear that the Concert Grand LE has not been through even the most basic beta testing worth the name, because the numerous issues that we have all identified would have been spotted immediately by an beta tester. I understand it's a very complex product to develop, but some basic beta testing is a necessity. It's quite disrespectful towards paying customers to release it in this state.

Last edited by karvala; 08/17/18 04:42 PM.

Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759279
08/17/18 05:18 PM
08/17/18 05:18 PM
Moscow, Russia
M
Max_Forte Offline
Max_Forte  Offline
M

Moscow, Russia
Can somebody confirm, please, that "Batch-Resave" solves velocity-loudness issues appeared on some keys? Or what I hear is the placebo effect, and I'm happy to be deceived? smile

Casio PX-350
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: karvala] #2759289
08/17/18 06:02 PM
08/17/18 06:02 PM
Milano
N
newer player Online content
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
N

Milano
Thanks for the detailed comments karvala, Max_Forte, Grazilerimba, etal.

for example, selecting a convolution reverb setting on the Main page at the moment wipes out all of the other settings, so that all mics are turned off, all speakers are panned left

There was a December 2017 YouTube video on PVCG that was hard-panned left. That, and a handful of other comments noted in this thread would have been a good checklist for the developers. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-HdGOwS-1U

Last edited by newer player; 08/17/18 06:08 PM.
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Max_Forte] #2759292
08/17/18 06:25 PM
08/17/18 06:25 PM
T
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline
T

Can somebody confirm, please, that "Batch-Resave" solves velocity-loudness issues appeared on some keys? Or what I hear is the placebo effect, and I'm happy to be deceived? smile

Don't take my word for it, but i often see developers suggesting the batch-resave to fix various "fresh installation" passive bugs that usually go away after the procedure is done. But i know for a fact that batch-resave DOES speed up loading times dramatically that's for sure.

Last edited by tdwctdwc; 08/17/18 06:26 PM.
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759294
08/17/18 06:29 PM
08/17/18 06:29 PM
Moscow, Russia
M
Max_Forte Offline
Max_Forte  Offline
M

Moscow, Russia
Oh, that totally useless "Ambisonic" mic... frown 15GB of a total 70GB is that "Ambisonic" mic. I'd be glad to delete it but what if that will cause problems...

Casio PX-350
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759295
08/17/18 06:43 PM
08/17/18 06:43 PM
Moscow, Russia
M
Max_Forte Offline
Max_Forte  Offline
M

Moscow, Russia
This is how samples are organized:

[Linked Image]

Casio PX-350
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759310
08/17/18 08:52 PM
08/17/18 08:52 PM
B
bsntn99 Offline
bsntn99  Offline
B

Out of curiosity for those that also have the Concert Grand Compact, do you notice the same weaker upper registers in CGC vs. CG LE? This would be the outside mic (M149s) in the CG LE for the comparison. This might indicate whether it is in the samples or just the Kontakt programming.

Jason mentions "sampled from a New York built Steinway D with a model number starting with 589 ***. A little more info from the manual that may explain some of the artifacts:

"Concert Grand is sampled from a Steinway D that just came off tour with a famous Canadian artist (his initials are B.A. for those guessing). The piano was in great shape, but was used enough to have a character of its own. This piano had some mechanical noises from the hammer mechanism that were louder than the Yamaha C7 that I am used to. My guess is that the longer strings and quick action required a little more effort from the mechanism."

Also, note on page 20, there are some additional adjustments under the hood available in the edit mode.

Last edited by bsntn99; 08/17/18 08:53 PM.
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759371
08/18/18 07:19 AM
08/18/18 07:19 AM
K
karvala Offline
500 Post Club Member
karvala  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Yes, the same weaker upper registers. It's definitely in the samples, and across all different mics. The piano details are very informative and explain why the piano is so bright in the middle registers (I'm guessing it will have been prepared that way for a rock tour, and then used in that range extensively) and so weak in the upper registers (hammers not yet cut in through lack of use). I'm not so sure about "in great shape"; the lower registers sound like they've taken a bit of a beating.

Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759402
08/18/18 10:18 AM
08/18/18 10:18 AM
B
bsntn99 Offline
bsntn99  Offline
B

Thanks for confirming the same issue exists in Concert Grand Compact. In the sfz spec used for Sforzando, you can apply adjustments to each sample or sample group. This is partly why Garritan CFX, which is essentially an sfz, sounds as even as it does. Not sure if this is possible at a sample level in Kontakt. I know it is possible at a group level.

I did also note based on CGC some buzziness with a few notes in the upper range and some unison tuning problems. Probably saw a lot of use on the road and was definitely set up to cut through rather than for a classical or more balanced performance - a missed opportunity. I may have dodged a bullet on this one. Forgot to mention, the piano is said by Jason to be 2010 or newer, so most likely not cut in as you mentioned.

Last edited by bsntn99; 08/18/18 10:20 AM.
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759497
08/18/18 07:31 PM
08/18/18 07:31 PM
Moscow, Russia
M
Max_Forte Offline
Max_Forte  Offline
M

Moscow, Russia
When I was interested in Concert Grand I found that demos presented by Production Voices weren't very informative.
I decided to share the demo with all who are looking for an additional info.

Link to rendered midi file played by Su Yeon Kim downloaded from E-piano competition:

FLAC on Dropbox

No over effects added but little of a built-in reverb. Custom preset used. It so easy to dial sound you are looking for, but at least 4 mic positions are completely useless to me.

If you have any specific MIDI file you think can be very helpful to assess the sound quality of CG I can render it and post here.

Concert Grand sounds really great and natural!

Casio PX-350
Re: Steinway D Concert Grand [Re: Cinjero] #2759520
08/18/18 09:57 PM
08/18/18 09:57 PM
CT
wolfgangmeister Offline
wolfgangmeister  Offline

CT
Hi Max,

I'd be interested to hear two of my MIDI recordings rendered to assess the sound quality of PV's Steinway D Concert Grand VI. One is a lyrical recording of the Gluck-Sgambati Melody I recently posted on PianoWorld to assess PianoTeq v6.2.2 and the latest Steingraeber E-272 VI vs. four other PianoTeq VIs; the other is a more virtuostic recording of Liszt's "Orage" (from 'Annees de Pelerinage') that really tests the power, sustain and polyphony of any VI.

Gluck & Liszt MIDIs in Dropbox

P.S. I would also be interested to compare this to the new Full version of Embertone's Walker Steinway D VI, Garritan CFX Concert Grand Full, or Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D, if anyone is so inclined. Playability of both pieces using PianoTeq v6.2.2 with a fast Multi-Core PC & SSD via a real acoustic keyboard is outstanding.
P.S.S. Here's a reference YouTube link comparing the various PianoTeq VI's:

Gluck-Sgambati: Melody in Dm - PianoTeq Demo

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Crackling noise when recording digital piano
by Tommm777. 11/13/18 01:01 AM
Summer Camp Opportunity with orchestra
by pianofan1017. 11/13/18 12:47 AM
Pedal noise fix for Garritan CFX
by HCC. 11/13/18 12:34 AM
Hailun - Out of business?
by StevenG. 11/13/18 12:12 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,309
Posts2,760,584
Members91,477
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission