2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
33 members (Alex Hutor, clothearednincompo, 36251, CyberGene, Boboulus, Daryl Durand, 11 invisible), 450 guests, and 434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ivory II AMERICAN CONCERT D vs TRUE KEYS AMERICAN
#2759206 08/17/18 01:23 PM
Nor Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

I hesitate in between these two pianos, I'd like really to go for the Ivory II AC.... but they both sound awesome, witch one would you recommend for me? Thanks a lot.

Links:

https://www.vilabsaudio.com/true-keys-american-grand

https://synthogy.com/index.php/products/software-products/ivory-2-american-concert-d

Last edited by Nor; 08/17/18 01:24 PM.

—Nor

KAWAI MP7—KORG TRITON EXTREME—VILABS TRUEKEYS & RAVENSCROFT—AS YAMAHA C7 & KAWAI EX PRO—GARRITAN CFX FULL CONCERT—PIANOTEQ 6 PRO—IVORY II AMERICAN CONCERT D—M-TRACK HUB—YAMAHA HS50—PreSonus HD7—JTS HP 535—NI NOIRE—BIG SWING GRAND—EASTWEST PIANOS GOLD BUNDLE
(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
Re: Ivory II AMERICAN CONCERT D vs TRUE KEYS AMERICAN
Nor #2759217 08/17/18 01:37 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
True Keys is a bargain at $99.

Nor #2759227 08/17/18 01:53 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I have got both and IMO Ivory ACD is miles away from TKA. TKA sounds good on video but is dull and uninspiring to play for me... with any headphone or any speaker.... Ivory is one of the best Steinways around IMO, if not the best.

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garrital CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
MacMacMac #2759228 08/17/18 01:53 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
True Keys is a bargain at $99.

I will sell you mine for less than that if you want

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garrital CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
Nor #2759273 08/17/18 04:48 PM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Nor
Hi,

I hesitate in between these two pianos, I'd like really to go for the Ivory II AC.... but they both sound awesome, witch one would you recommend for me? Thanks a lot.

Links:

https://www.vilabsaudio.com/true-keys-american-grand

https://synthogy.com/index.php/products/software-products/ivory-2-american-concert-d

I have both, and they each have some merits and some flaws such that one isn't clearly better in my view, but are substantially different to each other. Which other piano VSTis do you like/not like? That will give me some idea of your preferences which will make it easier to figure out which you would prefer.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
Nor #2759365 08/18/18 06:07 AM
Nor Offline OP
OP Offline
It's OK, I ordered the Ivory II ACD. Thank you!

—Nor

KAWAI MP7—KORG TRITON EXTREME—VILABS TRUEKEYS & RAVENSCROFT—AS YAMAHA C7 & KAWAI EX PRO—GARRITAN CFX FULL CONCERT—PIANOTEQ 6 PRO—IVORY II AMERICAN CONCERT D—M-TRACK HUB—YAMAHA HS50—PreSonus HD7—JTS HP 535—NI NOIRE—BIG SWING GRAND—EASTWEST PIANOS GOLD BUNDLE
Nor #2759488 08/18/18 06:45 PM
J
J
It's not even a contest... However, just because a VSTi is good for solo doesn't mean it sits in a mix or vice verse. Example is Alicia Keys which isn't a great solo piano but is great in a mix.. Anyway for solo piano ACD is one of, if not, the best.

Nor #2759654 08/19/18 11:29 AM
G
G
Yeah the ACD is one of the few sampled pianos that don't have a, say, triple digit amount of velocity layers, and that nevertheless feel very much like a real instrument below my fingers. Only few VSTs have given me this feeling. It's as if the keys suddenly have some weight, because the sound that you hear makes it feel as if your fingers actually have some kind of power in shaping the sound. Hard to describe.

What makes me not use this VST as much though are a few issues I feel it has. First, when compared to the German D from Ivory II, the resonance decays unnaturally quickly. The resonance presets can prolongue the sound nicely when used with the German D, but using those same presets will lead to an unnaturally fast decay when used with the ACD. I have to crank up the shimmer and resonance knobs to high amounts to make it decay slower, and even that won't prolongue the sound to a satisfying level, and due to the high values the sound then begins to sound artificial.

Second, it has no real pedal down samples. The resonance is modeled to begin with. That even enables the problem described above to exist in the first place. Also it has an issue when repedaling, that sometimes it will decay the resonance too quickly as soon as you press the pedal down. Doesn't feel natural at all.

The Ivory engine is solid, the repedaling and half pedaling is probably the most functional and smooth I've experienced in a piano VST. But they need to up their game. Ivory has become outdated with only one microphone perspective (which gets merely processed to simulate an 'audience' perspective) and no real pedal down samples, I'd love them to improve their product with Ivory III if they ever release that. Back in the earlier days of piano VSTs, Ivory was among the best out there.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
K. Kawai piano. Best tuning,
by Maximillyan - 11/29/20 03:22 AM
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,122
Posts3,028,379
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission