2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 85 of 302 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 301 302
Interesting numbers there Toddy, let me add 134 new words to that count with this post then.

The new NV10 arrived today and it still produces an awfully loud buzzing noise. I've decided to keep hold of this one while the issue is hopefully being investigated by Kawai.

What a tease this is; the piano is gorgeous and it sounds amazing too on the new Pianist mode. Turning down the "High" frequencies as suggested I think by UKchap75, I can live with it for now, but the brilliance is quite affected by this tweak. I can't say I would recommend anyone else purchasing one at this time, unless they can play a display model for themselves, and purchase it knowing for sure it's free of these sound issues.

Hey JoBert want to trade please?

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
"Aside completely from the matter in hand, it's interesting to see that there have been over 275,000 words* used in this thread so far since March this year (just under 6 months), when it was started as a split off from existing Novus 10 threads."
You need to count again. JoBert started this thread on Feb. 3, 2018. grin

Kawai NV10
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@ Phoerocks: Have you tried turning the Line-in volume knob to off? My Novus is making a buzzing noise if I turn the volume on.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by TomLC
"Aside completely from the matter in hand, it's interesting to see that there have been over 275,000 words* used in this thread so far since March this year (just under 6 months), when it was started as a split off from existing Novus 10 threads."

Oh dear, I slipped up there - thanks for pointing that out. But you see the problem - for us 9/11 would be the ninth of November ( lots of younger people here assume that the New York attack was in November 2001).

My figures may be very approximate, but the point still stands. And that was based on 55 'pages' (read books) and today we're already on page 57!

And I must admit to now being well and truly one of the authors of this Magnum Opus. Albeit a very minor one.

Last edited by toddy; 08/18/18 05:07 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Toddy, thanks for the eye-opening estimation! That's an impressive amount of dedication from the people involved, indeed.

Nonetheless, it makes me want to spend less time on the forum and more time with a book in my hands smile - and here we go, I'm already off to a bad start ha

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by toddy
Originally Posted by TomLC

Oh dear, I slipped up there - thanks for pointing that out. But you see the problem - for us 9/11 would be the ninth of November ( lots of younger people here assume that the New York attack was in November 2001).

My figures may be very approximate, but the point still stands. And that was based on 55 'pages' (read books) and today we're already on page 57!

And I must admit to now being well and truly one of the authors of this Magnum Opus. Albeit a very minor one.

This is why on forums I always select the date format with the Month as letters Jan, Feb etc instead of using mm/dd/yy or dd/mm/yy. I hate having to remember which country I'm dealing with regarding the date format. Luckily most forums allow you to choose the format.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Edit (if editing would actually work): You actually made me curious - I selected print thread and pasted it all in a word document - it's ~260 000 words. Now if you substract the number of words for the heading of each post (time, date, title, posted by: ), you end up with 240k words. If you substract signatures and quotations (originally posted by... and quoted text) as well, maybe that gets down to around 200k words, but that's still very impressive.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
So, are we still pissed off and at the same time in love with Kawai?
Never mind responding; I simply wanted to add some meaningless words/characters to this impressively humongous thread.

Originally Posted by Tyr
@ Phoerocks: Have you tried turning the Line-in volume knob to off? My Novus is making a buzzing noise if I turn the volume on.

This makes no difference but thanks for the suggestion.

Interesting that I can hear the buzzing with headphones too, so it seems the issue is likely produced by the circuitry somehow and certainly not the fault of any speakers. I can hit the same note over and over, sometimes with the buzz, sometimes without, very strange.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
McColl, your calculations look more accurate then mine - still, even anything in the 200,000+word ballpark is quite phenomenal. It represents a novel of 500+ pages.

Originally Posted by Pete14
So, are we still pissed off and at the same time in love with Kawai?
Never mind responding; I simply wanted to add some meaningless words/characters to this impressively humongous thread.

Marvellous! Reminds me of that Talking Heads song from the 80s......now, how did it go?.....

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
It is phenomenal indeed. I wouldn't have been aware of it if you wouldn't have raised the point smile

PS. For me it brings to mind Erasure - I love to hate you smile

C
C
In some ways I'm glad to hear that this noise problem is on a large enough scale now that it seems Kawai might eventually react! I bought a Novus in late May in Europe (Switzerland), and am unfortunately also experiencing the same buzzing/hissing noise that makes it unplayable via speakers (and some headphones). I have been inquiring for a few months now with both my local dealer, Kawai international and Kawai Europe about the issue, but I've just been stalled - no technician, firmware update, timeline for a fix or anything of that sort provided to me. Needless to say I am now starting to think that it might be best to just return it altogether.

So to those in Europe still thinking about buying one, I can only caution you to carefully check the model you get (as it seems the noise is not ubiquitous) or the warranty situation with technicians nearby!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello cliowa,

Originally Posted by cliowa
Kawai international

Please note that Kawai Japan (which oversees the Kawai Global website and contact page) was closed for the summer holiday from the 13th~17th August.

Customer Support enquires are handled by a separate section, however checking the access logs I see that we received a message from a Swiss NV10 customer on the 18th August, which I assume is your enquiry. I shall therefore try to follow-up on this point tomorrow.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
B
Originally Posted by ando

This is why on forums I always select the date format with the Month as letters Jan, Feb etc instead of using mm/dd/yy or dd/mm/yy. I hate having to remember which country I'm dealing with regarding the date format. Luckily most forums allow you to choose the format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601 would make life far easier smile

Also the benefit of that way of writing it is it sorts sensibly if done alphabetically!

C
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I shall therefore try to follow-up on this point tomorrow.

Kind regards,
James
x

Many thanks for being so responsive, Kawai James! More via PM to spare the others the personal details...

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Bambers
Originally Posted by ando

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601 would make life far easier smile

Also the benefit of that way of writing it is it sorts sensibly if done alphabetically!

They tried enforcing this a few years ago but the transition led (like the US/Euro situation) to too much confusion. Most official forms seem to have relapsed to day, month, year. One or two government pro-formas soldier on.

Originally Posted by cliowa
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I shall therefore try to follow-up on this point tomorrow.

Kind regards,
James
x

Many thanks for being so responsive, Kawai James! More via PM to spare the others the personal details...

hmm ... I guess there isn't a real solution to the hissing / buzzing / distorting issue available globally yet but only the EQ update patch placebo repair.

My NV10 is still unplayable via external speakers, too!

Just to remind the manifacturer that there are still n - 1 customers left (alone) unhappy dealing with their "individual examples" of parasitic oscillations or whatever issue(s) cause the faulty NV10 sound engine anomaly.

I'm a 52+ years young e-piano beginner who has started learning to play the e-piano just a few months ago at Max-Reger-Music School Hagen, DE.
O
O
I did another test that more clearly shows the issue on my system. I'm concerned there might be different issues at play, because I do not notice it on headphones, only on built-in speakers.

The settings are all default in Pianist 'Classic' except that I turned off 'Damper Noise' and 'Fall Back Noise' to eliminate any possibility that those added sounds are what I am hearing.

I played a few notes and simultaneously recorded the sound at 24-bit 44.1khz uncompressed at:
1.The LineOut
2.Top Speakers via mic

The sound over the speakers sounds quantized to me, as if it was playing back at a lower sample rate over the speakers only. The sound over the LineOut(which matches the sound quality over the headphones) does not exhibit this issue and sounds great to me.

In fact, if I take the sample I recorded from the LineOut which sounds fine to start, and I reduce the sample rate or decimate it my audio software I can get a very similar effect to the sound over the speakers.

Last edited by opus64; 08/22/18 12:11 AM.
V
V
Originally Posted by opus64
I did another test that more clearly shows the issue on my system. I'm concerned there might be different issues at play, because I do not notice it on headphones, only on built-in speakers.

The settings are all default in Pianist 'Classic' except that I turned off 'Damper Noise' and 'Fall Back Noise' to eliminate any possibility that those added sounds are what I am hearing.

I played a few notes and simultaneously recorded the sound at 24-bit 44.1khz uncompressed at:
1.The LineOut
2.Top Speakers via mic

The sound over the speakers sounds quantized to me, as if it was playing back at a lower sample rate over the speakers only. The sound over the LineOut(which matches the sound quality over the headphones) does not exhibit this issue and sounds great to me.

In fact, if I take the sample I recorded from the LineOut which sounds fine to start, and I reduce the sample rate or decimate it my audio software I can get a very similar effect to the sound over the speakers.

That was heck of static noise and is the worst problem. Am I the only one thinking now that everyone in this thread, regardless of having issues or not, should spam email altogether to every single related Kawai email address about this problem? I mean it seriously. If all of us spam them everyday, they MAY get their act about this horrendous quality check.
A lot of people ask me about this piano and sometimes I reluctantly try to dodge the advice of "you should buy this one right away".

Last edited by vancedo; 08/22/18 12:49 AM.

Kawai Novus NV10
www.youtube.com/vangakuz
Originally Posted by opus64

I hear a hissing noise at the beginning and end of the recording, but assumed this is just the noise captured by the mic - i.e. not the instrument.

It would be useful to hear the sound captured by the mic before any notes are played (and after the notes have finished sounding), in order to have a reference point for what is actually being produced by the piano.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Page 85 of 302 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission