Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
134 registered members (90125, Animisha, barbaram, ando, bobrunyan, Beowulf, Alex C, Amedeus, 28 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 26 1 2 24 25 26
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: mcoll] #2757457
08/10/18 03:07 PM
08/10/18 03:07 PM
Europe
J
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Europe
Originally Posted by mcoll
But OLEDs have an aging effect, and burn-in occurs.

CFD has aging and burn-in too, but is still used, because it provides excellent readability under any lighting conditions at any angle. Backlit LCD is what the cheap stuff comes with.

For a piano that may display the same image for 1-2 hours a day over a period of many years

That's of course not how you should use OLED. Even LCD burns in under these conditions.

Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7605
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2757461
08/10/18 03:23 PM
08/10/18 03:23 PM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Europe
What's CFD?

Maybe they should've gone with e-ink ha

And no, that's not a good usage scenario, but it may occur if somebody doesn't activate the screen standby function.

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: mcoll] #2757472
08/10/18 04:07 PM
08/10/18 04:07 PM
Europe
J
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Europe
Originally Posted by mcoll
What's CFD?

Oops, sorry for that typo, I meant VFD - Vacuum fluorescent display.

And no, that's not a good usage scenario, but it may occur if somebody doesn't activate the screen standby function.

It's the task of the product developer to ensure that the screen doesn't burn in by not displaying static images over many hours (and not on LCDs either). Also turn off the backlight when it's not needed, because that burns out, too (losing brightness over time).

Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7605
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2757476
08/10/18 04:15 PM
08/10/18 04:15 PM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Europe
Or CFL maybe? They may be synonyms?! As far as I know it's been replaced by LED back lighting for quite some time, which doesn't have the same aging issues. But maybe this back-light technology still exists in some displays?
As for the viewing angle, that's dependant on the type of LCD matrix used, not on the backlight technology.
And the degradation of the backlight may still occur, but it's a different problem from the aging of oleds, where the blue pixels age the fastest, leading to more than one problem...

But, to conclude, better solutions could've been used, for sure, without a huge increase in production costs...

(ad) SWEETWATER
Easy Monthly Payments on Keyboards & Synthesizers
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2757818
08/12/18 06:29 AM
08/12/18 06:29 AM
INDIA
G
Gandhi Offline
Gandhi  Offline
G

INDIA
Hi....
I also Order Kawai CA 78 Rosewood Finish...

Will get delivery by 10th September....After one month...

Actualy i was following this Thread for last 15 days..

I found most Post are informative & important...

Also Started Thread "Kawai 78 vs Yamaha Clp 645"...

After finding Positive reviews by All who bought this Piano decided to order..

Thank you all, for sharing your Knowledge & experience with CA 78.

Hi Dear Kawai James...

Thank you for starting this informative Thread & all your input..

Because of this Thread i able to take buying decission..

Now Waiting for your comment.....

Regards
Gandhi...

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2757935
08/12/18 01:41 PM
08/12/18 01:41 PM
St Paul Minnesota USA
M
McBuster Offline
McBuster  Offline
M

St Paul Minnesota USA
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Jon, thank you for the suggestion.

Yes, that's a nice idea, too.

Kind regards,
James
x

My people will contact your people to arrange for my Finders Fee and Unit Royalties.

Thanks!

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
Sailor, Consultant, Gourmet, Dreamer
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2758786
08/16/18 02:01 AM
08/16/18 02:01 AM
United Kingdom
A
Alohaneko Offline
Alohaneko  Offline
A

United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have now had my CA78 for eight months. Here's an update on my experience with the piano that I promised a while ago.

The piano is used heavily - since I restarted taking lessons in January, I have been practicing two hours on average pretty much every day. It has definitely met my needs / expectations for a good practice instrument.

When I bought the piano I had expected to do most of the practice with headphones on; but it has turned out I practice mostly during the day (the luxury of being in retirement!), so I mainly play using the piano's speakers. The default sound through the speakers is rich and musical. Just yesterday, my teacher (who comes to our house for lessons) complimented the piano on having good sustain sound. I would even say that the lowest notes may have more musical content than many acoustic uprights and baby grands. I'm just a little dissatisfied with the tone in the C4-C5 range, which seems to lack certain liveliness. I notice this especially when I'm playing a descending scale; as I enter the range the tone seems to lose "sheen", only to regain it as I exit lower.

I don't find the lit screen interface distracting. There is always clutter on my piano top (scores, practice logbook, various coloured pencils etc.) and the screen doesn't add substantial visual distraction. The keyboard is always well lit. I also use the interface a lot, especially practice-related features like the metronome and internal recording; so I really don't mind it being lit up all the time.

These features, by the way, are incredibly useful (although of course they are not unique to this piano). Coming from an acoustic, I really appreciate them. One wish-list item: For practice, I wish I could do a short record - playback - record again etc. cycle, without the interface asking if I want to save the recording. (I.e. the recording gets always overwritten.) It would be best if this was separate from the standard recording feature, so that overwriting would not be the default for the latter. Also appreciated in the digital piano are the alternative temperaments available in the Sound Mode (I often use Werckmeister C for baroque pieces).

Kawai CA 78 / Sennheiser HD 559

Current projects
Bach, Prelude and Fugue in F sharp minor BWV 883 (WTC2)
Mozart, Sonata in E flat major K282
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Alohaneko] #2759071
08/16/18 11:48 PM
08/16/18 11:48 PM
INDIA
G
Gandhi Offline
Gandhi  Offline
G

INDIA
Originally Posted by Alohaneko
Hello All,

I have now had my CA78 for eight months. Here's an update on my experience with the piano that I promised a while ago.

The piano is used heavily - since I restarted taking lessons in January, I have been practicing two hours on average pretty much every day. It has definitely met my needs / expectations for a good practice instrument.

When I bought the piano I had expected to do most of the practice with headphones on; but it has turned out I practice mostly during the day (the luxury of being in retirement!), so I mainly play using the piano's speakers. The default sound through the speakers is rich and musical. Just yesterday, my teacher (who comes to our house for lessons) complimented the piano on having good sustain sound. I would even say that the lowest notes may have more musical content than many acoustic uprights and baby grands. I'm just a little dissatisfied with the tone in the C4-C5 range, which seems to lack certain liveliness. I notice this especially when I'm playing a descending scale; as I enter the range the tone seems to lose "sheen", only to regain it as I exit lower.

I don't find the lit screen interface distracting. There is always clutter on my piano top (scores, practice logbook, various coloured pencils etc.) and the screen doesn't add substantial visual distraction. The keyboard is always well lit. I also use the interface a lot, especially practice-related features like the metronome and internal recording; so I really don't mind it being lit up all the time.

These features, by the way, are incredibly useful (although of course they are not unique to this piano). Coming from an acoustic, I really appreciate them. One wish-list item: For practice, I wish I could do a short record - playback - record again etc. cycle, without the interface asking if I want to save the recording. (I.e. the recording gets always overwritten.) It would be best if this was separate from the standard recording feature, so that overwriting would not be the default for the latter. Also appreciated in the digital piano are the alternative temperaments available in the Sound Mode (I often use Werckmeister C for baroque pieces).

Thank you very much for your detail review & experience with CA 78.

I am extreemly happy after reading your possitive feedback...

I have also order this CA 78 Last week without Personal demo.

In my country, Presently this CA 78 available against confirm order only so demo or comparition was not possible.

After watching youtube demo videos & comments by users owners & discussion on this PW Forum i order my CA 78 Last week & i will get delivery 2nd week September.

I am also Thankful to " Dear Kawai James" Who Started Thread for CA 78 & CA 98 10 Months back.

I Found many informative & important information n comments from Actual owner/user on that Thread which help me in my purchase.

Thank you All..
Regard
Gandhi

Page 26 of 26 1 2 24 25 26

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fazioli Changes Over the Years
by Sleepingtiger. 01/22/19 11:07 AM
p515/clp685 vs cp88
by Jitin. 01/22/19 10:16 AM
Twinkle or Moonlight?
by MrsD. 01/22/19 04:16 AM
My LTCL Repetiore
by Jaguarinoff. 01/22/19 03:31 AM
Hailun & Room Size
by Katie-eights. 01/21/19 09:52 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,727
Posts2,784,665
Members92,193
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission