Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
87 registered members (Alexander Borro, Alex Hutor, ando, anotherscott, Beemer, AZNpiano, Andrei Anghel, Bill Schneider, 23 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Steinway May be bought by China Company [Re: BDB] #2758041
08/13/18 12:48 AM
08/13/18 12:48 AM
Melbourne, Australia
A
ando Online content
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by BDB

Have you gone to hear Ed's pianos? Have you adopted any of his innovations? Why should I if you will not? If all you are interested in doing is getting me to spend my time and money to satisfy your curiosity, perhaps you should be paying me to go and listen to his pianos.

Well, first, I am not a piano tech by trade, I am just an amateur. Second I am on the other side of the world, so it's not so easy. You are 2 states away. Have you never been to Seattle? Not even curious to drop in on Ed during all these years? I get the feeling from your comments towards his ideas that you wouldn't even try his pianos if they were 2 streets over. You come across as not very open to the ideas of others - although you do occasionally throw the odd idea of your own into the pot. The idea for the upright action was very recent though - and you didn't give the impression that you had actually built it. Seems like it was just an idea.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Steinway May be bought by China Company [Re: ando] #2758058
08/13/18 02:32 AM
08/13/18 02:32 AM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Oakland
I had never heard of Ed before he joined this forum. The only time I was in Seattle was before he joined. I think you do not have an idea of how far it is from here to Seattle. I would not know what to look for in Ed's pianos that would be so special. His claims about them are not specific enough.There are so few of his pianos that they do not have much bearing on anything that I might come across. Plus, what he proposes is too expensive for my clients.

Besides, my time is quite valuable. While this discussion has been going on, I have been discussing other piano matters with local school district teachers about their pianos, and I have some University pianos to tune in the next couple of days, plus lots of private parties that have had to wait while I put on concerts this summer.

What interests me is what I can do well quickly, and gives obvious results. By those standards, Ed's methods do not seem worthwhile.

Semipro Tech
Re: Steinway May be bought by China Company [Re: BDB] #2758079
08/13/18 05:43 AM
08/13/18 05:43 AM
Melbourne, Australia
A
ando Online content
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by BDB
I had never heard of Ed before he joined this forum. The only time I was in Seattle was before he joined. I think you do not have an idea of how far it is from here to Seattle. I would not know what to look for in Ed's pianos that would be so special. His claims about them are not specific enough.

He has been quite specific though - there are even some patents. Do you think they give out patents for things that are unspecific?

It comes across more as professional rivalry rather than a paucity of information. You don't want to give an inch to your rival. Ed's the same mind you - it's just that he says more specific things than you do. You are actually incredibly unspecific about most things you say. I have no doubt you are an excellent and talented technician, but you do hide behind vagaries rather than have them subject to critical analysis.

Btw - never tell an Australian they don't know about distances! Lol.

Re: Steinway May be bought by China Company [Re: TheLoneliestMonk] #2758080
08/13/18 05:50 AM
08/13/18 05:50 AM
New Hampshire
W
WilliamTruitt Offline
500 Post Club Member
WilliamTruitt  Offline
500 Post Club Member
W

New Hampshire
BDB, if you were a member of the Piano Technicians Guild, you would know who Ed is, since it exists primarily for educational purposes, and can be joined by any technician who wants to advance his or her skills. New technicians with few skills can attend meetings, all they need to bring is their curiosity and desire.

If you wanted to sample Ed's pianos, all you need to bring is your ear and an open mind.

Over the period of the last 5 plus years, I have occasionally championed the use of Paulello hybrid scaling to readers of this forum. During this time, BDB has made snake oil types of comments and challenged my honesty as I had a civil conversation with other interested readers. He has also made those kinds of comments towards Ed and his fully tempered duplexes, and his use of Paulello wire as well. It's ok to disagree, but it is how we go about it that is important.

During these years of arguing that it cannot possibly work, BDB has never made any effort to listen to it, yet still continues to denigrate others and their reported success with the wire. In fairness to BDB, the wire is not widely used and not available through our usual supply houses. It is an expensive specialty item, but can be had from JD Grandt in Canada, or Stephen Paulello in France. So I extended the offer of sending BDB some samples of the wire, without charge to him. Then he could try it at his leisure and convenience, and make his own judgments.

At that point, BDB went silent. He has never taken me up on the offer, even as he periodically continues to argue against its merits in his own acidic style.

Will Truitt

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Steinway May be bought by China Company [Re: TheLoneliestMonk] #2758090
08/13/18 07:37 AM
08/13/18 07:37 AM
Pennsylvania
Ken Knapp Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Ken Knapp  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania
I am not expert enough to say who is right or wrong as far as the piano technician discussion going on here. But it does look like this discussion has degenerated into the typical "mine is bigger than yours" competition which is often found in the technicians forum. I don't like it there, either.

Topic Closed.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to voice VST sound form DP's internal speaker.
by harryhang. 10/20/18 11:51 AM
Five Notes in the the Space of Four
by SoundThumb. 10/20/18 11:44 AM
Brahm's polyrhythms - article
by LXXXVIIIdentes. 10/20/18 11:36 AM
What is this piece?
by pianoloverus. 10/20/18 10:54 AM
44 note Wurlitzer butterfly
by oth47. 10/20/18 10:14 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,897
Posts2,754,174
Members91,289
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission