Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
108 registered members (Avlas, Avid, ahumdrumoflife, ando, anamnesis, 33 invisible), 1,290 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
piano recording #2757432
08/10/18 03:32 PM
08/10/18 03:32 PM
B
blablabla123 Offline OP
blablabla123  Offline OP
B
Hello everyone, I would like to ask you a question. Whenever i record myself playing with a laptop/mobile, the recording sounds completely different from what I hear when I play.
In the recording I hear myself less smooth, slower, and every rubato feels exaggerated in comparison to what I hear in reality, but I don't know if it is how other people hear me play. I would like to know if anyone has noticed about the difference of how you think you play, and how you sound in the recording. If it is related to microphone, I would like to get recommendation for good cheap microphone.
Thanks

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: piano recording [Re: blablabla123] #2757470
08/10/18 05:06 PM
08/10/18 05:06 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
bla(x3):

I feel your pain, as they say. Unfortunately, except maybe for sound quality, microphones don't lie when it comes to tempo, rhythms and especially rubato and dynamics. Most of us do not hear what we are playing; we hear what we think we are playing. One of the great skills to develop over time is that of not only listening closely but actually hearing what we play - there's a difference!

One way to test this - not only test, but prove - is to listen and record someone else on the same equipment you use. You'll find that the recording is discouragingly accurate when compared to the live performance in those areas you mention.

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 08/10/18 05:08 PM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: piano recording [Re: blablabla123] #2757481
08/10/18 05:34 PM
08/10/18 05:34 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
New York City
I recorded myself once about 35 years ago. I was so upset when I heard the recording I vowed to never record myself again. But I did try to listen to myself more closely from that point on.

Re: piano recording [Re: BruceD] #2757504
08/10/18 06:58 PM
08/10/18 06:58 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
500 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by BruceD
bla(x3):

I feel your pain, as they say. Unfortunately, except maybe for sound quality, microphones don't lie when it comes to tempo, rhythms and especially rubato and dynamics. Most of us do not hear what we are playing; we hear what we think we are playing. One of the great skills to develop over time is that of not only listening closely but actually hearing what we play - there's a difference!

One way to test this - not only test, but prove - is to listen and record someone else on the same equipment you use. You'll find that the recording is discouragingly accurate when compared to the live performance in those areas you mention.

Regards,

And it is also true for singing and speaking. The microphones for me (unfortunately) tell the truth. frown

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: piano recording [Re: BruceD] #2757597
08/11/18 06:54 AM
08/11/18 06:54 AM
B
blablabla123 Offline OP
blablabla123  Offline OP
B
Originally Posted by BruceD
bla(x3):

Regards,

Thank you every one and BruceD, does anybody know how we can develop the skill of listening exactly what we play, and not what we think we play? I was so shocked about my playing when I heard my first few recordings. If i learn to listen to what I play it will help me to improve...

Re: piano recording [Re: blablabla123] #2757618
08/11/18 09:12 AM
08/11/18 09:12 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Southwestern Ontario
All learning comes from feedback.

Your teacher, friends, your ears, and recordings all provide feedback. The more feedback you get, the closer your ear and the recording will converge.

Re: piano recording [Re: blablabla123] #2757744
08/11/18 07:56 PM
08/11/18 07:56 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
London
Bla, I think your observation is very pertinent, and it is certainly true of me. And it is also true that if you listen to what you are actually playing it will certainly help you to improve. I think one has to try to develop the ability to listen very consciously to what one is playing. Of course, this takes some concentration - and that reduces the concentration one can bring to getting the fingers to the right notes. But even if it is difficult, critical self-listening is very important.

Re: piano recording [Re: blablabla123] #2757775
08/11/18 11:32 PM
08/11/18 11:32 PM
Connecticut/Cincinnati
C
computerpro3 Offline
computerpro3  Offline
C
Connecticut/Cincinnati

Thank you every one and BruceD, does anybody know how we can develop the skill of listening exactly what we play, and not what we think we play? I was so shocked about my playing when I heard my first few recordings. If i learn to listen to what I play it will help me to improve...

I went through the exact same thing. What I heard on recordings was completely different than what I thought I was playing.

I am still not perfect, but what helped a ton was making recording an integral part of my practice. I practice mainly on digital pianos (Kawai Novus, which is a real Kawai grand action) and since I use Pianoteq, I am ALWAYS being recorded whether I like it or not.

Since I am always being recorded, I make it a point of listening far more often than I did before since I do not have to drag out recording equipment and make a big deal of it. It's just always happening in the background.

Over the course of a two hour practice session, I probably listen to recorded snippets of my phrasing fifty to sixty times. If I don't like it, I will continually tweak and re-listen until I get it right. It really helped me figure out where the disconnect was between my brain and my ears.

Last edited by computerpro3; 08/11/18 11:33 PM.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Check Out Our Newsletter!
Our August 2018 Free Newsletter for Piano Enthusiasts is here now, check it out!
Piano World Newsletter
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is my teacher pacing lessons to quickly?
by Avid. 08/16/18 05:55 PM
Baldwin SF-10 search & other info
by mypianos4evr. 08/16/18 05:52 PM
La fille aux cheveux de lin C.A. Debussy
by Fornion. 08/16/18 09:11 AM
A MILLION DREAMS - Solo Piano Cover
by Handyman. 08/16/18 08:42 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,924
Posts2,739,236
Members90,786
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission