2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
47 members (DreamPiano80, cmb13, dhull100, ChiaraTor, AjinoRegret, 8opus, chopinetto, David B, 10 invisible), 475 guests, and 242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Logistics of dropping a student
Brinestone #2757408 08/10/18 02:19 PM
M
M
My parents sent me to piano lessons simply because they both worked long hours and they did not want me to cause any trouble. There happened to be a piano teacher nearby so that's how I started. I was never a good piano student when I was a child - I had no special musical talent and I did not practice much. When the school work load got heavy, I stopped lessons and they did not force me to continue. When I stopped, I was working Chopin Nocturne Op.9-2 and some Mozart sonatas - all very badly to this day I never play these pieces anymore.

Almost 30 years later, I was in the "midlife crisis" mode (see my user name) - not sure what to do with my life personally and professionally. I could not afford to quit working or moving to a brand new city/country... but I knew I had to do something in my life before I went crazy. That's when I realized I had no interests, hobbies, or other skills.... Then I vaguely remembered I played the piano before, so I decided to give myself another shot. I found a teacher; signed up for lessons; bought a piano, signed up on PW; had a fight with my downstairs neighbor because the noise I was making - which caused me moving out my own place. (I created a thread here about the situation). Everything all happened within 3-5 months period. Now I am practicing whenever I can; playing pieces I never thought I could ever touch in my lifetime, and I am having a great time. Now my job is not-so-bad anymore and my life is turned around completely for the better. Everyone around me has seen the change so it's win-win for everyone.

When I talk to my elderly parents, I always let them know how grateful I am for them to sign me up for piano lessons when I was a child. The other day I was practicing Chopin Ballade No.1 - I felt it was like a documentary film of my life and I got so emotional I almost choked up in tears (of joy).

Special thanks to all piano teachers here. You are making difference in people lives - even with some below-average students like me. Do not give up on them too easily.....

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Brinestone #2757562 08/10/18 11:46 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Dear MidLife piano, I think there comes a time in life when you want to do something for you, not only that you can share what you do with others. I don't know anyone who does not like piano music. There is more to life than just work, there has to be something you get up for every morning that you are excited about. For some it is golf, fishing, etc.... I do have a digital and an acoustic, I play on the digital with head phones to give my husband some quiet time. Playing music is good for your mental health. Below is a link to an article I published a few years ago, hope you enjoy it.

https://www.mdedge.com/fedprac/article/106295/mental-health/prescription-music-lessons

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Brinestone #2757623 08/11/18 09:51 AM
P
P
This is how you do it. No drama, no hard feelings, no akwardness. I call it the last chance method.

Read the post it tells all about it.

"Time to say Goodbye"

https://www.palomapiano.com/blog-post/time-say-goodbye/

Doreen Hall
www.palomapiano.com
pavane1 #2758081 08/13/18 06:02 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pavane1
This is how you do it. No drama, no hard feelings, no akwardness. I call it the last chance method.

"Time to say Goodbye"

In general I like the "last chance" idea you put forth, because it's concrete. However, there is one part that you probably do, but have not mentioned. Asking the student what might be wrong. Maybe there is an actual problem rather than growing disinterest. For the "last chance" idea, in addition to "call me when you can play it well" (to set up a lesson), how about also "Call me if you need help." as well? Even if everything is nailed in a lesson, it won't all be remembered once home.

keystring #2758124 08/13/18 10:57 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by pavane1
This is how you do it. No drama, no hard feelings, no awkwardness. I call it the last chance method.

"Time to say Goodbye"

In general, I like the "last chance" idea you put forth because it's concrete. However, there is one part that you probably do, but have not mentioned. Asking the student what might be wrong. Maybe there is an actual problem rather than growing disinterest. For the "last chance" idea, in addition to "call me when you can play it well" (to set up a lesson), how about also "Call me if you need help." as well? Even if everything is nailed in a lesson, it won't all be remembered once home.

Yes, I only do this after all other avenues have been explored. Such as changing repertoire and trying to figure out what the problem is.

It doesn't happen too often that students lose interest (thankfully). But, sometimes they do. Usually, they come back to playing in some capacity which is good.

Doreen Hall
www.palomapiano.com
bennevis #2760997 08/25/18 08:16 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by bennevis
Am I the only one here whose last video game was Space Invaders......about fifty years ago??

Maybe no-one here is old enough to remember that game.

I remember when a Pong was brought into my favorite pinball arcade. For about 6 months I was the champ of the arcade on that machine.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
KurtZ #2761001 08/25/18 08:33 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Originally Posted by bennevis
Am I the only one here whose last video game was Space Invaders......about fifty years ago??

Maybe no-one here is old enough to remember that game.

I remember when a Pong was brought into my favorite pinball arcade. For about 6 months I was the champ of the arcade on that machine.

Kurt

I sadly grin, remember both Pong and Space Invaders.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Eleanor Sokoloff RIP
by pianoloverus - 07/13/20 04:15 PM
Winter NAMM 2021 - Proceed or Cancel?
by PianoManChuck - 07/13/20 03:55 PM
Roland A-88mk2 - clunky black keys?
by Karnevil - 07/13/20 01:53 PM
PianoLink International Amateur Competition
by SiFi - 07/13/20 01:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,235
Posts2,980,328
Members97,760
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission