Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
105 registered members (7uturu, agent8698, accordeur, 33 invisible), 1,510 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Where From, Where To #2757316
08/10/18 07:28 AM
08/10/18 07:28 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
A couple of months ago I posted that I'm thinking about quitting lesson in 2 years time, having returned to the piano for 8 years. I didn't know where I wanted to go with lessons because it felt too repetitive, new piece, practise, another piece, practice and so on.

After some reflection, I started to compile a list of the pieces I studied. Then I tried to make a wish list for the next few years hoping I will keep going with my lessons. Below is what I came up with.

I feel like I want to explore other composers in the romantic era like Schubert, Schumann and Mendelssohn, but I don't know what pieces I will find interesting and challenging enough to tackle. I also want to have a go at Mozart Piano Concerto No. 20 or 21 but not sure if it's normal for people to study concerto not aiming to perform? Also, I'm thinking about Bach outside of WTC, maybe Aria and a selection of variations from the Goldberg Variations, or something from one of his suites or partitas. Because of uncertainties I haven't added these to my wish list yet. Any suggestions?

What was your journey like and what does it look like ahead?

STUDIED May 2010 - Aug 2018

BACH
[*]Prelude G, WTC2
[*]Prelude & Fugue Fm, WTC2 (Grade 8 exam)
[*]Prelude & Fugue C#, WTC1
[*]Prelude & Fugue Dm, WTC2
[*]Prelude & Fugue E, WTC2

BEETHOVEN
[*]Pathetique Sonata (repeated)

BRAHMS
[*]Ballade, Op118

CHOPIN
[*]Nocturne Db
[*]Fantaisie Impromptu C#m
[*]Nocturne Cm
[*]Nocturne Em (Grade 8 Exam)
[*]Waltz C#m
[*]Waltz Em
[*]Ballade 1
[*]Ballade 4 (studying now)
[*]Etude 3, Op10
[*]Etude 4, Op10

DEBUSSY
[*]Golliwoggs' Cakewalk
[*]The Snow is Dancing
[*]Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum
[*]Reverie
[*]Girl with Flaxen Hair
[*]Sarabande

HAYDN
[*]Andante with Variations Fm

LISZT
[*]Concert Etude Forest Mummers
[*]Liebestraume 3

MOZART
[*]Sonata A, K331 (1st & 3rd movements) (Grade 8 Exam 1st mvt)
[*]Sonata C, K330 (repeated)
[*]Fantaisie Cm, K475

MESSIAEN
[*]Prelude the Dove (Grade 8 Exam)

PROKOFIEV
[*]Love of Three Oranges, March

RACHMANINOV
[*]Prelude C#m
[*]Prelude D
[*]Prelude Gm (repeating now)
[*]Prelude G#m (repeated)

RAVEL
[*]Jeux Deau
[*]La Vallee Des Clothes
[*]Pavane for a Dead Princess (studying now)

SCALARTTI
[*]Sonata Bm, K27

One-Off Lesson
[*]Bach Prelude Cm, WTC2
[*]Haydn Sonata C, HobXVI/48 (2nd movement)
[*]Chopin Raindrop Prelude
[*]Chopin Prelude No. 1
[*]Schubert Moment Musical Fm

WISH LIST
[*]Chopin Grand Waltz (teacher previously rejected)
[*]Polonaise Ab (teacher is encouraging)
[*]Mazurka Ab
[*]Bach-Rachmaninov Partita 3 (teacher is encouraging)
[*]Bach-Busoni Chaconne (teacher is encouraging)
[*]Liszt La Campanella (didn't dare to suggest)
[*]Prokofiev Toccata Dm (teacher previously rejected)
[*] Haydn Sonata (London) (teacher previously rejected)
[*]Debussy Arabesque 1 (teacher previously rejected)
[*]Debussy Claire De Lune (teacher previously rejected)

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
  • Chopin: Ballade No. 4
  • Rachmaninov: Prelude No. 5 (Gm)
  • Ravel: Pavane for Dead Princess
  • Bach-Rachmaninov: Gavotte
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757337
08/10/18 08:50 AM
08/10/18 08:50 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075
A couple of months ago I posted that I'm thinking about quitting lesson in 2 years time, having returned to the piano for 8 years. I didn't know where I wanted to go with lessons because it felt too repetitive, new piece, practise, another piece, practice and so on.

This statement indicates (to me) that you are not enjoying the journey.

That can be a problem because that is all there is.

I was at a similar place a few years ago and decided to end that cycle you alude to.

I was probably in a worse place than you because my efforts were primarily memorizing each piece and playing from memory.

I could read the music but not while I was playing. I needed to look at the keyboard in order to play.

That routine got old, as you apparently know.

I shifted into the jazz genre.

That enabled me to make a piece of music my own by playing with the skills I had or if I chose to … build new skills for that piece.

While I may not be moving up along the grade levels, I am still playing and enjoying what I play.

If I had not done that, I believe I would have focused more on playing from a score so that the memorizing part was reduced to a minimum because the memorizing is what I objected to. That was too tedious.

Good Luck

Last edited by dmd; 08/10/18 08:50 AM.

Don

Casio PX-160, Mix 5 Five-Channel Compact Mixer, DR 880 Drum Machine, Spacestation v.3 Powered Stereo Monitor
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757343
08/10/18 09:11 AM
08/10/18 09:11 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Other than Debussy and Prokofiev, you're short on modern music. Maybe exploring something with strong rhythms and beats would get you excited?

Sam

Last edited by Sam S; 08/10/18 09:17 AM.
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757346
08/10/18 09:22 AM
08/10/18 09:22 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
I had regular lessons weekly during school year for about 7 years. Then my teacher became unavailable for a year. So I decided to take a break from lessons but not from practicing. At first my work was a bit random but now I feel I am getting back on track. I do not miss weekly lessons because I realize now that it was getting tedious and isn't necessary the most suitable model for me. I simply enjoy more the independent study without lesson deadlines. Sometimes I put aside a piece for some weeks only to come back to it with renewed interest. But I do miss my teacher's tips and our discussions on the pieces. So I think I will ask for less frequent lessons when she returns.

I find a lot of pleasure now in returning to polish and memorize some music that I really enjoy and exploring new pieces that intrique me. I still have a long list of pieces and composers I want to study, so it's more a matter of finding the time and energy with my present job situation.

Re: Where From, Where To [Re: outo] #2757352
08/10/18 09:51 AM
08/10/18 09:51 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by outo
I simply enjoy more the independent study without lesson deadlines. Sometimes I put aside a piece for some weeks only to come back to it with renewed interest. But I do miss my teacher's tips and our discussions on the pieces. So I think I will ask for less frequent lessons when she returns.

I find a lot of pleasure now in returning to polish and memorize some music that I really enjoy and exploring new pieces that intrique me.

It sounds like you have discovered how you enjoy the journey. That is the trick.

We are all different and we must find our own way.

I also take lessons periodically (Skype) just to have a professional keep me moving in the right direction. After that, it is up to me to do the work. That works for me.

Don

Casio PX-160, Mix 5 Five-Channel Compact Mixer, DR 880 Drum Machine, Spacestation v.3 Powered Stereo Monitor
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757376
08/10/18 11:20 AM
08/10/18 11:20 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Hey, Tubbie, that's a nice list...you should be really proud of that list! I love lists (eg my Repertoire Vault thread...similar style).

Some of your pieces are on my wish list, but most are on the "never gonna happen" list! That's what's so great about this instrument, as we learn, there are new and more avenues to explore. Either more in depth focus on a genre or composer, or new styles and composers yet to be explored. It sounds like you're breaking through the intermediate into the advanced stage, which opens up your options even further. Stick with it!

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Piazzolla Invierno Porteno
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757438
08/10/18 02:40 PM
08/10/18 02:40 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

After some reflection, I started to compile a list of the pieces I studied. Then I tried to make a wish list for the next few years hoping I will keep going with my lessons. Below is what I came up with.

I feel like I want to explore other composers in the romantic era like Schubert, Schumann and Mendelssohn, but I don't know what pieces I will find interesting and challenging enough to tackle. I also want to have a go at Mozart Piano Concerto No. 20 or 21 but not sure if it's normal for people to study concerto not aiming to perform?

Normality is grossly overrated.

If you want to learn a concerto, why not? I learnt K466 and K467 among others - by myself - when I was still a student. I played the orchestral parts whenever I had free fingers or hands to do so, so I could play the whole concerto complete, not just the piano part.....and I composed my own cadenzas for them, which helped to make them "my own" wink .

And I've never played them with anyone else, not even a second pianist playing the orchestral part, let alone an orchestra.

As for Schubert, Schumann and Mendelssohn, I strongly recommend them. You can start with Schubert's Impromptus - my favourites (which I still perform regularly) are D899 Nos.2, 3 and 4. And have a go at the sonatas - D664 is usually the first one pianists learn, but I like the dramatic D784. Have a listen to Richter's granitic performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAxuFcFSw_g

If you prefer something gentle (and more 'Viennese'), there's D894. This is the slowest on record grin, again by Richter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7_OW2__ZR0

And I really like the Klavierstücke D946:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG_ftHbEGps

As for Schumann, my last teacher introduced me to his fantastical world of abrupt shifts of mood and texture (Florestan & Eusebius) with Carnaval and Kreisleriana......and I went on to learn his great C major Fantasy by myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ7hE4lQAYs

Mendelssohn has composed many brilliant and tuneful pieces, like the Rondo capriccioso (still my favourite since my teens):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMbgwEB5_NI

And this 'Scottish sonata': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7HghWHOCZQ

Also, I'm thinking about Bach outside of WTC, maybe Aria and a selection of variations from the Goldberg Variations, or something from one of his suites or partitas. Because of uncertainties I haven't added these to my wish list yet. Any suggestions?

The Goldberg is one of the few Bach keyboard pieces I like enough to learn & perform (not in its entirety - yet). Another is Partita No.1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvhurpp-wDc

WISH LIST
[*]Debussy Arabesque 1 (teacher previously rejected)
[*]Debussy Claire De Lune (teacher previously rejected)

What's the reason your teacher rejected those lovely Debussy pieces?

They're easy enough for you to learn by yourself, in any case. Go ahead - they won't take you long, and they're always appreciated even by non-cognoscenti.

BTW, have you tried Bartók's Romanian Folk Dances? Quite a different style from any of the stuff you've played so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoaKYJrXoVw

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757485
08/10/18 04:43 PM
08/10/18 04:43 PM
R
Ralphiano Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
R

A couple of months ago I posted that I'm thinking about quitting lesson in 2 years time, having returned to the piano for 8 years. I didn't know where I wanted to go with lessons because it felt too repetitive, new piece, practise, another piece, practice and so on........

Then I tried to make a wish list for the next few years hoping I will keep going with my lessons. Below is what I came up with.

I have to wonder if your list really addresses the deficit you feel. You lament the repetition "new piece, practise, another piece, practice and so on". Yet, your remedial plan is a list of pieces that will inevitably take you down that same path interminably.

Might there be other activities in which you can use your considerable experience and skills with piano? Have you considered singing, and using your piano to accompany yourself? Or, performing with friends, a local piano group, or a local group of musicians? There are likely populations nearby that do not get to hear much live music, and would be appreciative even if you learn no additional repertoire.

How about composing?

How about providing volunteer or low cost lessons to kids or adults who might not otherwise have an opportunity to ever play? Your contributions on ABF certainly show understanding, talent, and willingness to share. You are likely more equipped for this that you give yourself credit for.

I am doubtful that your list is really going to address the angst you are feeling.

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Ralphiano] #2757492
08/10/18 05:11 PM
08/10/18 05:11 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
I am doubtful that your list is really going to address the angst you are feeling.

+1

Don

Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757497
08/10/18 05:19 PM
08/10/18 05:19 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
dmd
It's not like I don't enjoy lesson. I constantly learn a lot during lessons which makes me feel excited and give me hope I can play better. But because of lessons and practising for them, I have 0 time to venture outside those pieces.

My guess about my teacher rejecting Debussy pieces is that either they are overplayed or that they aren't much for me to learn from those pieces. I don't know because I never ask. I think they are pieces I can learn myself. The problem is, if I don't learn them through lessons, I don't get the spare time for them.

Bennevis
I would happily add Mendelssohn's Rondo capriccioso to my wish list. I'll have a listen to your other suggestions. Thanks.

Ralphiano
I've tried but not very hard and to no success looking for someone to play/share piano interests with. I even attempted to offer free lessons to adult beginners.

I'm not creative or knowledgeable enough to compose anything I'll like. I've tried them. That said, I'd really like to transcribe Bach's Andante for violin solo to the piano. I've been thinking of asking my teacher for guide since he's also a composer.

Sam S
I don't think those are my cup of tea although they do sound very interesting. I've been thinking of Piazzolla but don't know any good piano transcriptions for his music. You know any?

outo
Lesson deadline is part of the problem for me too and restrict me from venturing outside pieces I'm learning. I don't want to completely withdraw from lesson so I'm now considering suggesting to teacher a "blend" it with something else.

cmb13
I've enjoyed the pleasures and challenges throughout the last 8 years and I don't want to throw them away. There are several pieces I want to revisit, particularly the more challenging ones like Chopin's Ballade 1 and Etude 4 and Ravel's Jeux Deau. I know if I don't have lessons I won't be disciplined enough to practise as much as I do now (and I don't practise that much already). That's why although I've grown rather tiresome of the lesson cycle, I still want to somehow keep going.

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757502
08/10/18 05:54 PM
08/10/18 05:54 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
500 Post Club Member
Moo :)  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Very interest thread.

I am quite obsessed with Mendelssohn so I can advise on this one.

Songs without words

It is a very good series which has a wide variation of pieces that are short and extremely interesting.

The most commonly played are the gondola songs which are well within your abilities. There are four of these but perhaps these two would be a good introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AluVjLyVzFU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxVIYxE9CEI

There are other styles of pieces by mendelssohn, there is a quite elf-like and fast pace style which you dont get in other pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8EWtvUKEv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt25qJV4-_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSytpkdEz-M

Scottish sonata sounds hard but it is certainly quite doable so I agree with this one. It is a very good suggestion. I play only the first of the movement as the entire sonata is too much work. It may be harder as you have not played Mendelssohn before but an excellent suggestion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=786RVhOXF5w

There are some impossible pieces by Mendelssohn. Rondo capriccoso is one. It is perhaps doable for someone who has good experience at a professional diploma level but I would strongly strong strongly recommend to avoid. This is a very naughty suggestion by Mr Ben. I would not recommend it to you perhaps it needs much more experience. I cant play it properly.

Schubert has a very nice series called Musical Moments which again has some nice styles. I find that his music requires quite a lot of fingerwork to achieve a good result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq5Ks3_r6f0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlxIqsCEMLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgFjNS7bY8U

I love this piece but it is a duet. I intend to clone to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO5fLLHj55k

Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757520
08/10/18 07:01 PM
08/10/18 07:01 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
dmd
It's not like I don't enjoy lesson. I constantly learn a lot during lessons which makes me feel excited and give me hope I can play better. But because of lessons and practising for them, I have 0 time to venture outside those pieces.

Be careful. You may be in danger of slipping into a form of depression due to a feeling of helplessness.

You must take control.

YOU decide how much time you will spend on formal lesson pieces.

YOU decide which other pieces you are going to have "fun" with.

It is similar to a saying about those who worship "money"...... You can't take it with you.

Same applies to this .....

Do the things that make you happy.

Do not be a victim.

Take over.

You will be much happier in the long run.

Don

Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757523
08/10/18 07:17 PM
08/10/18 07:17 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Moo

I like Mendelssohn Gondola Song op. 19 and 30 no. 6 I'll have to listen to the sonata properly to decide on that one.

I already play Schubert Moment Musical 3. I quite like it and fish the music out once in a blue moon to play.

The other suggestions I'm not too keen.

Thanks

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757524
08/10/18 07:20 PM
08/10/18 07:20 PM
Z
Zaphod Online sad
Zaphod  Online Sad
Z

Schubert Wanderer Fantasy ain't half bad either, You could try giving that a bash.

Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757525
08/10/18 07:23 PM
08/10/18 07:23 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

I've been thinking of Piazzolla but don't know any good piano transcriptions for his music. You know any?

There are a few collections on Amazon UK (I don't know about Australia).

This is one I have of his best-known tango, Libertango:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PETERS-PIA...;keywords=Piazzolla+libertango+for+piano

You can glimpse a bit of the score to see whether it suits you. It's also in one of the anthologies:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/40-Piazzol...;sr=1-2&keywords=Piazzolla+for+piano
....but I don't know what it's like.

Have you thought of Spanish music? Albéniz and Granados composed a lot for piano, including very difficult stuff (Iberia and Goyescas), but there's also the easier Chants d'Espagne (Albéniz) which includes the well-known Asturias and Córdoba (both better known in guitar arrangements) and Granados's Spanish Dances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P8BQVhOv5A

Have you tried Grieg? Many of his Lyric Pieces are easy enough to be sight-read (like the lovely Arietta, Op.12/1), but there's also fun rumbustious stuff like this famous wedding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eMFuTpchns

......which is one of my (and my audience's) favourite party pieces grin.

Staying in the Nordic countries, I fell in love with this piece by Finland's greatest composer (though not particularly known for his piano music) when the winner of the Sydney Piano Competition played it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJJkYm_66E

Variety is the spice of life, as they say, so branch out into less familiar (but fun) stuff........

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: dmd] #2757527
08/10/18 07:34 PM
08/10/18 07:34 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
dmd

Thanks for your concern. I have plenty of excuses to slip into depression, like being gay in my midlife. Piano is far from a possible cause. It's one of my salvations.

I'm someone that's over controlling at work and in my private life because I tend to steer away from the unexpected. Security issues? If anything, I'd like to let loose and not control too much in my musical life too. I need to learn the freedom of chaos and the excitement it brings. My life is boring enough.

Happiness doesn't always mean doing the things you like and avoiding the things you don't like. Sometimes happiness becomes more meaningful when, despite not liking it, you put in the effort, struggle and accomplish to get to where you want to be. With piano, I suppose what I'm trying to do is find a way to enjoy the process more.

That's my take :-)

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757531
08/10/18 07:51 PM
08/10/18 07:51 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Tubbie I have a Piazzolla Milonga series that I like. It’s out there on Google - Milonga del Angel is the first of the series. Love it !

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757532
08/10/18 07:53 PM
08/10/18 07:53 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Regarding your statement on challenges, I find that it is often the things that your most afraid of or that are the hugest obstacles, that once attacked and concured bring the most satisfaction. That was how it was for me in my occupation as well.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757536
08/10/18 08:13 PM
08/10/18 08:13 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
dmd

Thanks for your concern. I have plenty of excuses to slip into depression, like being gay in my midlife. Piano is far from a possible cause. It's one of my salvations.

I'm someone that's over controlling at work and in my private life because I tend to steer away from the unexpected. Security issues? If anything, I'd like to let loose and not control too much in my musical life too. I need to learn the freedom of chaos and the excitement it brings.

Well, I just looked at your Youtube contributions and you probably have a repertoire which could serve you well for some sort of public concert. A free concert at the park ? Playing at a dinner club ?

You might find something like that would present you with a new challenge/motivation and serve to give you some recognition for the work you put in on this.

I think your skill level is certainly at a point where you could do this.

I think you need a spark of some kind to get you going and add some meaning to this.

Don

Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757545
08/10/18 09:15 PM
08/10/18 09:15 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

Happiness doesn't always mean doing the things you like and avoiding the things you don't like. Sometimes happiness becomes more meaningful when, despite not liking it, you put in the effort, struggle and accomplish to get to where you want to be. With piano, I suppose what I'm trying to do is find a way to enjoy the process more.

As dmd mentioned, if you could make opportunities to use your music in other, less private ways, that would add a spark to your musical life. You just have to find them - and grab them when they come wink .

I was always quite content to practise and play purely for my own satisfaction, and I never even talked about my piano playing to anyone, unless they were musicians themselves. (To this day, none of my work colleagues know I play the piano, or sing, or....). But I did enjoy trying out all pianos whenever I could find them - in public spaces and places like airports, train stations (- I also enjoy travelling), churches, stately homes, hotels, ships, shopping malls etc. Often, people would stop to listen, or even video me - and I've had the odd request too grin.

And it was actually in a conference hall where I first attended for a meeting a few years ago which eventually changed my outlook on my piano playing - I arrived early, saw the ancient grand there, and asked the organiser if I could play it. By the time I ran through a few pieces that I could play (roughly) from memory, other people had arrived, and were sitting quietly listening to me - and I was then asked if I could make it a regular event. It was an offer I couldn't refuse..... cool

It was only after I got home that I realised what I'd let myself in for: I had next to no pieces I could play complete from memory, and I couldn't keep fudging by half-improvising to 'fill in the blanks' like I did earlier that evening, if I was going to play a short recital once a month. And I had no page-turner to help me out, so playing from the music wasn't practicable.

So, I started memorising the easier pieces that I could already play well, and it went on from there as I went on to learn new pieces to perform from memory. Initially, it was almost like sitting a piano exam every month, such was the amount of work I had to put into learning and memorising pieces (the latter I never did for my grade exams, of course), but the satisfaction was immense - especially when people came to me afterwards to compliment my playing and my choice of music. Even more so when people asked me about the pieces I played, their composers etc, and whether - and how - they could start learning to play themselves (or re-start, if they once played as kids).

Or to put it another way, in my old age whistle, I discovered a new lease of life to my piano playing and an incentive to learn new rep and practice them properly.

So could you, if you look for it.......

Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757548
08/10/18 09:29 PM
08/10/18 09:29 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
C
CharlesXX Offline
CharlesXX  Offline
C

Adelaide, South Australia
I've been playing the piano for just over 60 years on and off, mainly on.

I'm music trained with degrees and stuff, but not in performance. I had my last piano lesson about 38 years ago.

I enjoy playing, exploring new repertoire and getting together with my piano group to play.

At the moment I'm brushing up on Rachmaninov transcription of the "Scherzo" from Midsummer Night's Dream by Mendelsohn. Took ages to learn so I don't want to forget it. Also doing Ravel's "Sonatine", Liszt transcription of Schubert's "Gute Nacht", Bach 2 Part Invention #8. I want took look at some Messiaen soon. Debussy, Chopin too. And Beethoven. And more Bach. And Albeniz. And Schubert. The list goes on........

I will just go on and on, till old age gets me. What else is there? I love the music, the playing and so on.

If you want to explore the repertoire, go and listen to stuff, buy the music, try it. That's all part of the fun. But you have to do it for yourself. You are the best judge of what you enjoy listening to and learning to play. A good teacher can provide guidance. But take care, as some teachers are prone to teaching and repeating what they know, and thus can lock you into a narrow musical journey. Choose wisely.

I can't see what the problem is.

Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757554
08/10/18 09:47 PM
08/10/18 09:47 PM
Z
Zaphod Online sad
Zaphod  Online Sad
Z

What I do is make a playlist on youtube - sign in with your account, and then let the right hand sidebar recommendations be your friend.

Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757561
08/10/18 10:44 PM
08/10/18 10:44 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
As for repertoire, yours seem quite "safe". Are you not interested in less known repertoire or have you just not explored it yet? There are so many interesting composers and pieces outside the standard repertoire and I find it exciting and fun to explore. Lessons are also fun when I pick up something my teacher doesn't know and we explore it together. I feel that there's less I can offer by playing standard rep that has been played by all the great pianists and recorded hundred times, but where I can make a small contribution to the music is digging out and play some forgotten gems. There are things that are not even in YT yet...

Also I see some omissions from well known rep...Why not look into Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues and some Scriabin? I think what also keeps it interesting is having to learn completely new styles and techniques that new composers often present.

And do learn a few more Scarlatti sonatas so that you'll never misspell his name again mad There are 555 to choose from smile

Last edited by outo; 08/10/18 11:10 PM.
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757573
08/11/18 12:54 AM
08/11/18 12:54 AM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Tubbie, with your skills and a wee bit of adapting (mentally maybe) you would make a good rock pianist. Modern music can be notoriously hard to play in the complex way it is sometimes written. But the results on piano can be really good . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757617
08/11/18 08:10 AM
08/11/18 08:10 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Italy
I have plenty of excuses to slip into depression, like being gay in my midlife.

What’s depressing about that? I count that as my no. 1 blessing.
But of course we’re all different and have all kinds of experiences.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia - http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757749
08/11/18 07:05 PM
08/11/18 07:05 PM
Australia
UnderConstruction Offline
UnderConstruction  Offline

Australia
Hi Tubbie, I can definitely relate to some of your sentiments. For me, sometimes I think I get into this kind of head space.

Also I do think being able to make piano a less solitudinous experience would help, so have been seeking out other classical (non professional) pianists here in Perth, also find its few and far in between. I would have thought it would be easier in Melbourne given the larger population?

Still deciding whether I am playing for fun or playing to improve... leaning towards fun :-)
2017 Feurich 218
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: bennevis] #2757754
08/11/18 07:36 PM
08/11/18 07:36 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by bennevis
I also want to have a go at Mozart Piano Concerto No. 20 or 21 but not sure if it's normal for people to study concerto not aiming to perform?

If you want to learn a concerto, why not? I learnt K466 and K467 among others - by myself - when I was still a student. I played the orchestral parts whenever I had free fingers or hands to do so, so I could play the whole concerto complete, not just the piano part.....and I composed my own cadenzas for them, which helped to make them "my own" wink .

There are also published transcriptions for solo piano such as:

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: sinophilia] #2757756
08/11/18 07:58 PM
08/11/18 07:58 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by sinophilia
I have plenty of excuses to slip into depression, like being gay in my midlife.

What’s depressing about that? I count that as my no. 1 blessing.
But of course we’re all different and have all kinds of experiences.

I don't want to belittle the very real struggle that many may have. It takes a lot of mental strength to see value in yourself when your family and those close to you don't. Those who cannot yet accept themselves for who they are, those who are not yet in a position to stand up for themselves, do get depress about it. That's why many are suicidal.

I'm not saying I'm one of them, I'm just saying that IF I am spiralling towards depression, being gay in my midlife is more likely the cause than not knowing what to do with piano.

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
Re: Where From, Where To [Re: Tubbie0075] #2757761
08/11/18 08:14 PM
08/11/18 08:14 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I've started the process of transcribing Bach's Andante for the piano, which is pretty much just figuring out the harmonic progression. If there's one Bach violin solo piece that is easy to transcribe, this has to be it. Let's see how much of my AMEB Grade 5 Theory I can put to use.

I'll bring it to my teacher next Sunday and hopefully he can help me with some tricky bits. Once it's done, perhaps I will make a YouTube video and/or record it for the next recital.

Here's the original violin version. It's a nightmare to play on the violin but so easy on the piano! LOL

Last edited by Tubbie0075; 08/11/18 08:14 PM.

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Deciding Between Teachers
by DDobs. 12/13/18 10:18 PM
Silent systems
by ryandav. 12/13/18 09:34 PM
Is Mr Piano World Santa? - Read our Newsletter
by Piano World. 12/13/18 08:53 PM
Field repair- re-glue a few Ivories
by michaelopolis. 12/13/18 08:10 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,891
Posts2,771,004
Members91,757
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission