2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (anotherscott, Boboulus, Bruce In Philly, Animisha, Bostonmoores, brdwyguy, 13 invisible), 662 guests, and 418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
Hey folks, any opinions on whether Scott Joplin's ragtimes should be played with straight eights or swing time? Most performances I've heard use straight time but there was a piano roll that was supposedly Joplin himself playing Maple Leaf, and it sounds like it has a little swing though at a pretty quick tempo.

Maybe it depends on the tune. Swing time seems to make sense in Maple Leaf or Joplin's New Rag, but maybe not in Solace or Eugenia. Probably not Entertainer either.

Thoughts?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

No right or wrong in this case IMO. I've heard Monty Alexander stride and swing through The Entertainer, and it sounds fantastic.
If you like to swing it, swing it.....

Whether it was the composers original intention, or whether other people like it (or not), is a matter of personal taste.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73
Casio PX-S3000
Pearl Midtown Drums

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by KenBakerMN
Hey folks, any opinions on whether Scott Joplin's ragtimes should be played with straight eights or swing time?

Straight eighths would be more appropriate, especially if you wanted to play the way Joplin did.

Most performances I've heard use straight time but there was a piano roll that was supposedly Joplin himself playing Maple Leaf, and it sounds like it has a little swing though at a pretty quick tempo.

That YouTube video with an unfortunately large number of views is decidedly not Joplin's playing.

Maybe it depends on the tune. Swing time seems to make sense in Maple Leaf or Joplin's New Rag, but maybe not in Solace or Eugenia. Probably not Entertainer either.

Some sections of some rags positively beg to be swung, but it's rare that all 3 or 4 sections of a rag sound particularly good when swung.

Those two decades of music were revolutionary and the style certainly underwent some transitions and evolved into entirely different genres, so ultimately it comes down to what you prefer.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Simon_b
Hi

No right or wrong in this case IMO.

+1

If you listen carefully, you can find the rudiment of swing feel.

R
R
There's an old thread on here somewhere that has lot of opinions, insights and comments about this.

I agree with the comment here that Joplin's own style may have changed by the time he recorded the piano roll. Or, maybe he was succumbing to the "new" public taste of the swing rhythms of jazz. Duke Ellington, for example, certainly played his music differently in 1970 than he did in 1927. So maybe Joplin did too.

If you want to play it safe, in the best possible meaning of the term, stay with straight 8ths. But if you enjoy swinging his music, there's no one around to say you can't!

As an interesting parallel, Beethoven heard Mozart play piano one time, and reported that Mozart played "non legato." Can you imagine what the critics would say if a pianist walked out on the Carnegie Hall stage and played Mozart with a detached articulation? They'd give the worst reviews possible and say it wasn't as Mozart intended. Yet this is precisely how Beethoven described Mozart's own playing!

Ron Drotos
rondrotos@keyboardimprov.com
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
It's always a bit ambiguous when people ask "should" I play it like this? It depends what you mean.

If you mean "play it like the composer wrote it" I'm guessing straight rather than swing, as that's what the music tells you to do.

However, in ragtime they do refer to "swing" but I don't think it means converting straight time to swing time, I think it refers to syncopation. I would say if you want that lop-sided feel to it, as in "rag" time then playing it straight would sound the best.

However, as others have pointed out, there is no law against playing it exactly how you like. But if "should" means authenticity then personally, from what we know, I would play straight time.

K
OP Offline
K
Great answers, folks, thanks.

I think what I'm converging on is that most Joplin pieces are best with straights eights, but I like a quick tempo and a little swing in Maple Leaf. On Joplin's New Rag I take it a little slower than you normally hear it and add some swing. I also like the idea that not every section within a tune has to have the same straight or swing feel. Solace I do pretty straight, almost classical. I play Entertainer a bit slower than you normally hear it because I like to give the melody some space. I'm leaning towards straight eights on that one.

But yeah, play it the way you like it, and the critics can say what they want.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1908 Knabe?
by beginagain - 12/09/21 12:54 AM
Piano lid material?
by Davdoc - 12/09/21 12:49 AM
Thoughts on Technics PR903
by McBuster - 12/09/21 12:46 AM
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,465
Posts3,151,718
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission