2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (ChrisMH, bsalad, Bill McKaig,RPT, chen, cschuh1, An Old Square, 13 invisible), 695 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

Although I started out as only a classical pianist, I love playing the countless note for note jazz transcriptions available either for free on the web or for purchase.

But some Youtube transcriptions have a "rolling view" of the score and even a picture of a keyboard with the notes highlighted as they are played but no pdf score available even for purchase. I never understood why someone would make the score available in those formats but not in a printable score. Very occasionally, I went to the trouble of taking screenshots of every different picture in the rolling score and literally pasting them together but this is not really practical as a usual approach.

Does anyone have a suggestion about printing a score that only appears as a "rolling score" on YouTube?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/16/18 11:58 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

I have done the same as you with a few that I was desperate to get copies of, but haven't found an easier method.

If anyone knows a way I'd be interested as well.

That said I have enough sheet music to last me for about another 3 lifetimes!

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73
Casio PX-S3000
Pearl Midtown Drums

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Gee, Pianoloverus, we have something in common regarding Jazz! I understand your plight, but I don't know of a resolution. I have had the good fortune of finding sheet music I have wanted, after much searching. Hopefully, someone here will have one.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Play them by ear. wink

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
For rolling score on YouTube, I don't think anybody like to re-notate the whole score. You can expand the YouTube video to cover the whole screen. And the segment you want to copy just stop the video and use your shortcut keys to do screen capture (Shift-Command-4 on a Mac & Ctrl-PrtSc for PC or Windows-PrtSc for Windows 10). You get a number of these loose screen capture files you can use a graphic design program like Windows Paint, PhotoShop or other similar programs and paste the loose picture bits to form 1 or more pages. Still tedious but works.

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Take a look at this:

https://picpick.app/en/

I use it for static screen capture but once was able to use its scrolling screen capture but have forgotten how to do this.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Bl├╝thner Model A
P
P
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Play them by ear. wink

Agreed. If you're interested in improving your jazz playing and becoming a better improviser, learn the solos by ear. You can always use a transcription/video to check your work. However, most of the free transcriptions I have found online have at least a few mistakes in them, so you really just have to trust your ear.

No, a prune is not a vegetable. Cabbage is a vegetable ...makes it O.K.
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by prunenoveggie
Agreed. If you're interested in improving your jazz playing and becoming a better improviser, learn the solos by ear. You can always use a transcription/video to check your work. However, most of the free transcriptions I have found online have at least a few mistakes in them, so you really just have to trust your ear.
I'm not at all interested in or capable of transcribing them myself and since they're on the rolling screen view I wouldn't have to. And it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if a transcription had a few mistakes in it. I want to play this music but not become a jazz pianist/improviser. It just annoys me that there is no pdf available even though all the notes are shown on the screen.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/05/18 06:53 AM.
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Pianoloverus:

I've run into the same situation where there is a nice transcription on YouTube that just rolls by. I think those videos are posted by people who are not teachers, and who have no interest in sharing knowledge. Rather, they just want to show off what they have done. I've seen some where they say contact me if you want the PDF, so the people who make no such offer know their transcription cannot be played by others, and are apparently fine with that.

R
R
If you have the time, you'll learn a great deal by taking the time to notate them yourself in Finale or another notation program, or even "old school" by hand. I don't think it's necessary to transcribe everything ourselves, by ear, but writing it out is faster than that would be and you'll absorb it better than just reading it from a score.

When I was in college I used to write out Bach fugues by hand and soon learned how to write counterpoint very easily.

Ron Drotos
rondrotos@keyboardimprov.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonDrotos
If you have the time, you'll learn a great deal by taking the time to notate them yourself in Finale or another notation program, or even "old school" by hand. I don't think it's necessary to transcribe everything ourselves, by ear, but writing it out is faster than that would be and you'll absorb it better than just reading it from a score.

When I was in college I used to write out Bach fugues by hand and soon learned how to write counterpoint very easily.

Thats a good point. Writing out music always deepens and expands one' knowledge of that piece of music, and beyond.

Piano teacher.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Another "Which Midi Controller Should I Buy"
by cody.carrig - 12/08/21 04:05 PM
Chopin's Polonaise 26/2 and staccato duration
by Mati - 12/08/21 04:04 PM
How good is a Chickering 105 B concert grand?
by tommyhaha - 12/08/21 02:34 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,461
Posts3,151,648
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission