2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (akse0435, amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
G
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by Galjinocka
Let's say, if you sell it for 400$, someone will refinish it for 3000 -4000$ and sell it for 30 000 - 40 000 $. If you have the money, maybe it's a good idea to refinish it before and then try to sell it.

Maybe a good idea? Maybe? If this were true, then it would absolutely be a good idea. In fact, anyone would be crazy not to refinish it before selling. The problem is, of course, that it's not true, and this is terrible advice.

Really? And who are you to tell??!!
it is a good advice, and it's how the things work on the antique market.

Last edited by Galjinocka; 08/04/18 04:05 AM.
M
OP Offline
M
Post 1/2

Thank you again, this now much more data than I had before.

Restoring
It is complicated for me to restore it. I have sent email to two of those restore companies you left there and received one answer.
Piano should be sent to them, restored and then sent back. They can determine price only if they have piano there.
I am from Serbia, so transport would be about 3200$ for both directions + restoring.

This is to much gambling for me, so you helped me to decide, I will sell it in condition as it is.

About year
I will accept that table on Tripod despite the fact that this piano
[url=http://www.pianogrands.com/pianos/moregrands/schweigofer/1845/1845schweigofer.htm][/url]
is listed with year 1845.

Working condition
I have find piano musician and he came today to check how about playing.
He told me that everything works just fine and that piano needs just to be tuned.
I did not make video because he will bring somebody to tune it and than he will play again. Then I will make video.
I did not know that you want to hear it. In that purpose, I will press tones, record it and put here.
Who knows how many days will pass until he brings somebody to tune it.

M
OP Offline
M
Post 2/2

Determining price most confusing
I have saw links for pianos sold on that auction site for 2-3000 $
On the other hand there is the same maker as mine, not restored for 40000$.
Lets say, it can be advertise even for million but it will never be sold.

But, other websites selling antique pianos have the same price range, even higher.
All pianos from 1850-1860 era are 70.000$. Not just advertised, sold for that amounts.
I took this one as example, because it have SOLD prices.
Other Antique

V
V
I have often wondered who is paying $20k+ for these goudy old uprights at "Antique Piano Shop". They do look nice when refinished, but they fit into, let's say, a very narrow home design aesthetic. I wonder how they play, too. If I had $20k to pay for a piano, it wouldn't be on one of these.

Then again, it seems that Antique Piano Shop's main purpose, whether conscious or not, is to give the owners of old upright wrecks that they are actually worth something... Just because they sell one or two a year doesn't mean there is a market for your old, unrestored "upright grand".

Last edited by violarules; 08/04/18 08:50 AM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by violarules
I have often wondered who is paying $20k+ for these goudy old uprights at "Antique Piano Shop". They do look nice when refinished, but they fit into, let's say, a very narrow home design aesthetic. I wonder how they play, too. If I had $20k to pay for a piano, it wouldn't be on one of these.

Then again, it seems that Antique Piano Shop's main purpose, whether conscious or not, is to give the owners of old upright wrecks that they are actually worth something... Just because they sell one or two a year doesn't mean there is a market for your old, unrestored "upright grand".

I have looked at this website for years, and have not found their prices to be in line with others in the market. I wonder how many they sell per year.... versus how much of their income is restoration work for private owners.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Let's say, if you sell it for 400$, someone will refinish it for 3000 -4000$ and sell it for 30 000 - 40 000 $. If you have the money, maybe it's a good idea to refinish it before and then try to sell it.

Maybe a good idea? Maybe? If this were true, then it would absolutely be a good idea. In fact, anyone would be crazy not to refinish it before selling. The problem is, of course, that it's not true, and this is terrible advice.

Really? And who are you to tell??!!
it is a good advice, and it's how the things work on the antique market.

Why don't you buy it, refinish it, and lock in tens of thousands in obvious easy profit? In other words, feel free to prove me wrong.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Just to let you know, Galjinocka is not an expert on the piano market, she is only an expert at her own opinion. If the Antique Piano Shop is selling pianos at those prices it's because they have restored them to like new condition and can back that restoration up with customer service, a warranty, delivery services, etc. As a private seller you just can't get what a retail shop can get for the same piano. That's just the way it goes.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I think that the Antique Piano Shop serves a market that they have largely created, and which does not extend beyond them. They get those prices on pianos that otherwise I would send to the dump because they have no market in my neck of the woods. Their market is largely furniture driven, and built upon relentless internet marketing with a specific modus of advertising. And I think they sell a lot more than one or two a year.

Will Truitt

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Also, the Antique Piano Shop seems to do a lot of business in China. Interesting to say the least. Check out THIS page of their website. http://antiquepianoshop.com/sell-your-instrument/

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
[quote=myPianoOpinion]

You would have to do a LOT more than refinish it if you wanted to get top dollar for it. It would need a full restoration and that wouldn't be cheap. You can't put $3000-4000 into it and expect to get $30,000-40,000. This is where Galjinocka is so flawed in her thinking. According to the Antique Piano Shop's own website, your piano would be worth $1500-3500 in its present condition and I think that's very optimistic. It's also interesting to note that they won't pay you for your piano. You can't sell it to them. What they do is take your piano in for restoration and you pay 50% of the restoration costs up front. After it's restored they will market it for you on their website and in their showroom. If it doesn't sell, you will then owe the other 50% of the restoration costs. My guess is that if it does sell they will only give you what it was worth when you brought it to them in the first place and keep the rest for their business. It's actually a pretty clever way of doing business. I don't think it's unethical, but I do think you have to go in with your eyes wide open.

A
A

Originally Posted by myPianoOpinion
Post 2/2

But, other websites selling antique pianos have the same price range, even higher.
All pianos from 1850-1860 era are 70.000$. Not just advertised, sold for that amounts.
Other Antique

I went to your link and did not see the prices actually paid. It looks like they list an asking price and then indicate whether or not it has been sold. I don't know how they do things but it is not unknown for businesses to list a high price and then actually sell it at an 80% discount. It gives the buyer a sense of getting an incredible deal, apparently.

Recently, I believe it was Phillip in China who posted some auction results for some antique pianos. They looked, in the pictures anyway, to be in great condition. IIRC they sold for $2,000-$3,000. And may have been part of a collection.

Everything I've read suggests piano repair, rebuilding, reconditioning, whatever you want to call it, is VERY expensive to have done correctly. Hence why it is usually reserved for the most expensive brands and models. Or for pianos with great personal sentimental value.

And my impression -- based only on the fact I read a lot and have a long memory -- is that one can take an old antique piano, sink tens of thousands of dollars into it to bring it back to good condition, and then sell it for a profit as a private party, is pure fantasy.

I agree with the assessment above that many of these older pianos with nice cases are not being sold to be played but, rather, to be used as furniture. Amd perhaps one business has created a market where people looking for furniture perceive a value someone looking for a player would not. And I don't think we know what they actually sell for. Perhaps try buying one. And if you had one in literally the exact condition they would sell it for my guess is they would pay you no more than 50% of that amount. Less based on actual condition.

So why not call them and tell them you may be interested in selling them your piano. You can come back and tell us all about it. Maybe they'll offer you $50,000 or more! But don't brag about it until you have cash in hand.

If I'm remembering correctly businesses that restore old Steinways buy the "cores" they use for very, very, little. It's they only way they can make a living doing it. And the market for old Steinways is probably the strongest old piano market in the world.

Ultimately the market value is what buyers are willing to pay. Which, with rare items that sell in very limited numbers, one often can't determine until the item actually sells. Auction houses that specialize in such items often have the data to make an educated guess. But are often wrong. And you won't know how the condition of the sold items compared to yours unless you had an expert examine them before they sold.

So reach for the stars and ask any price you like. The market will tell you if you're off base.

Good luck in your efforts.

A
A
Late edit:
Reading the whole thread I see David G posted the Colt Collection auction results. Phillip may have brought the auction to our attention a few weeks ago.

Finally, I think some people are under the impression lots of people are out there making a killing in the piano restoration business. There are many people in this business who participate on this forum. Some even chimed in on the Petrof thread.

Originally Posted by Agent88

Originally Posted by myPianoOpinion
Post 2/2

Other Antique

I went to your link and did not see the prices actually paid. It looks like they list an asking price and then indicate whether or not it has been sold. I don't know how they do things but it is not unknown for businesses to list a high price and then actually sell it at an 80% discount. It gives the buyer a sense of getting an incredible deal, apparently.

Recently, I believe it was Phillip in China who posted some auction results for some antique pianos. They looked, in the pictures anyway, to be in great condition. IIRC they sold for $2,000-$3,000. And may have been part of a collection.

Everything I've read suggests piano repair, rebuilding, reconditioning, whatever you want to call it, is VERY expensive to have done correctly. Hence why it is usually reserved for the most expensive brands and models. Or for pianos with great personal sentimental value.

And my impression -- based only on the fact I read a lot and have a long memory -- is that one can take an old antique piano, sink tens of thousands of dollars into it to bring it back to good condition, and then sell it for a profit as a private party, is pure fantasy.

I agree with the assessment above that many of these older pianos with nice cases are not being sold to be played but, rather, to be used as furniture. Amd perhaps one business has created a market where people looking for furniture perceive a value someone looking for a player would not. And I don't think we know what they actually sell for. Perhaps try buying one. And if you had one in literally the exact condition they would sell it for my guess is they would pay you no more than 50% of that amount. Less based on actual condition.

So why not call them and tell them you may be interested in selling them your piano. You can come back and tell us all about it. Maybe they'll offer you $50,000 or more! But don't brag about it until you have cash in hand.

If I'm remembering correctly businesses that restore old Steinways buy the "cores" they use for very, very, little. It's they only way they can make a living doing it. And the market for old Steinways is probably the strongest old piano market in the world.

Ultimately the market value is what buyers are willing to pay. Which, with rare items that sell in very limited numbers, one often can't determine until the item actually sells. Auction houses that specialize in such items often have the data to make an educated guess. But are often wrong. And you won't know how the condition of the sold items compared to yours unless you had an expert examine them before they sold.

So reach for the stars and ask any price you like. The market will tell you if you're off base.

Good luck in your efforts.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I buy and sell a lot of stuff and sell quite a bit on ebay. What I have learned over the years is that it's ALWAYS the price. I can list something at any price I want but until I make the price in the market range it won't sell - period. I recently sold a rare antique whiskey jug. I started out asking $600 for it but ended up taking $350. The market wouldn't support the $600 price tag but I had two offers to buy when I lowered the price to $350. It's always what the market will bear. I've also listed stuff on ebay that sold incredibly quickly and thought to myself that I could have asked more.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I would think your best bet is to put it on ebay with a modest price tag. You might get someone who simply wants an unusual item of beauty who would be willing to buy.

With such a piano it is the same old, old story. Even if you take the piano as having cost nothing, the cost of rebuilding will be far greater than the subsequent value as a playing piano.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
G
G
Pianolance, I really don't want to argue with you anymore because you are not reading my posts but have some strange interpretations of it. I wasn't talking about the restoration at all and I didn't suggest to give them to restore the piano. The page is just a good example of the prices on the antique market. Most importantly, I mentioned refinishing and not restoration - how hard is for you to understand that?
His piano is in a much better condition than mine, and don't need the restoration - maybe some refinishing, tuning, and it's good to go.

G
G
@PianoOpinion

I think you have some piano experts in Serbia, there is no need to give your piano overseas to restore it or refinished it because it would be too expensive.
Maybe this one - CLICK ?
However, it probably needs just a tuning. Wish you luck! thumb

To try to sell piano on eBay is not a good idea unless you don't have an eBay account for years and you are already very successful seller. Otherwise, they will put you on a listing limit which means you can't put the bigger price than 200 - 300 $. You could try with an auction on eBay but your limit would be the same.

Last edited by Galjinocka; 08/05/18 03:40 AM.
G
G
@PianoOpinion

I can't edit my previous post anymore, so it's the second page laugh

I tried to sell recently (about two weeks ago) my piano on eBay at first. I have eBay account for years but I'm only buying, never try to sell anything before. The piano was my first "item" I tried to sell and I didn't have a clue about the "limits". I finished my add and try to put the price (I put 2000$) but they didn't let me put the price - then I found out about the famous limits. It would take months or years until they actually would let me seel piano and I really have no any intention to become an eBay seller just because of one thing I want to sell it. Then it came to me why are the prices for the pianos on eBay are so cheap - unless, as I already mentioned, you are not their experienced seller already (and most of the people who would like to sell the piano usually are not). That's why the eBay is the worst place because it's absolutely unrealistic with the prices and you can't sell your piano actually.
I'm suggesting the best page (at least the best one I could find for now) where private owners and professionals as well selling pianos of all kind exclusively. There are the sellers from Germany, Austria, France, Slovenia, Poland, the US, etc. The page is originally from Poland but obviously well known on the piano market. Really good and useful page, they even have the transport calculator and the list of professionals for transport including the prices, and also very important - nobody will scream and yale at you because you ask higher than 100$. Klaviano.com

Last edited by Galjinocka; 08/05/18 04:36 AM.
F
F
Galjinocka, I believe there are many hundreds of eager piano buyers in Nigeria.

If you place an advert in the Vanguard offering to pay for the flight for people to come and try out your Petrof, I'm sure you will be inundated.

The English may not like music much, but they love the sound it makes ... Beecham
G
G
Fareham, your sarcasm is useless.:) I already have some potential buyers.

A
A

Fareham, your sarcasm is useless.:) I already have some potential buyers.

As I mentioned in your other thread by all means report back once you sell it for between 5,000 and 7,000 Euros and have the CASH IN HAND.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission