2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
29 members (Bigheaded, earlofmar, ando, AZNpiano, Emery Wang, AWilley, ee375, 8 invisible), 357 guests, and 451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Recital 51 --- Call For Submissions
AB Forum Recital #2755444 08/02/18 03:39 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Les Koltvedt, I can't remember your name, but welcome back! Did you ever perform in the ABF recitals? That must have then before I came here? Yes, get the mics out !

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
AB Forum Recital #2755464 08/02/18 05:07 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Les has some serious chops and a kick-ass monster of a piano! Glad to see you back on PW, Les!

AB Forum Recital #2755503 08/02/18 08:06 PM
M
M
These recitals always seem to come faster than I think! Well I guess I will be around the last 10 submissions again smile

Monica K. #2755547 08/03/18 01:52 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Originally Posted by pathguy
I'm in at 17, but I'm anticipating (hoping!) that will drop if I get a better recording done before I go out of town.

Unfortunately, I succumbed to that all-too-common and difficult-to-treat disorder, "Newpieceexcitosis," when I bought some sheet music for a piece I've been wanting to play for YEARS, and I've been working on that one nonstop the past three days instead of practicing my recital piece... crazy

p.s. 17 submissions and already three Einaudi pieces, woohoo!

I just did a quick listen to Einaudi (whom I hadn't heard of, being new to the piano world): wow!

I consider it one of AB Forum's most valuable public services to introduce people to the incredible beauty of Einaudi's music. smile And one of the best things about his music is that (a) accurate transcriptions of virtually all his work are available for purchase (I recommend starting off with the "Best of" sheet music collection), and (b) some of his pieces are quite undemanding technically, despite being achingly beautiful, so that even people very new to piano can play them.

We have a Mega-Thread About Einaudi that is continually being updated. You may enjoy browsing through it at your leisure and learning more about his music. He's currently on tour--if you have the chance to see him and his ensemble play, GO!! His concerts are unbelievable.

I must be missing out here. Einaudi's all right, but achingly beautiful? Maybe it's because I'm a fella . . . .(shrug)

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2755570 08/03/18 05:39 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
I'm in at 17, but I'm anticipating (hoping!) that will drop if I get a better recording done before I go out of town.

Unfortunately, I succumbed to that all-too-common and difficult-to-treat disorder, "Newpieceexcitosis," when I bought some sheet music for a piece I've been wanting to play for YEARS, and I've been working on that one nonstop the past three days instead of practicing my recital piece... crazy

I just did a quick listen to Einaudi (whom I hadn't heard of, being new to the piano world): wow!

I consider it one of AB Forum's most valuable public services to introduce people to the incredible beauty of Einaudi's music. smile And one of the best things about his music is that (a) accurate transcriptions of virtually all his work are available for purchase (I recommend starting off with the "Best of" sheet music collection), and (b) some of his pieces are quite undemanding technically, despite being achingly beautiful, so that even people very new to piano can play them.

We have a Mega-Thread About Einaudi that is continually being updated. You may enjoy browsing through it at your leisure and learning more about his music. He's currently on tour--if you have the chance to see him and his ensemble play, GO!! His concerts are unbelievable.

I must be missing out here. Einaudi's all right, but achingly beautiful? Maybe it's because I'm a fella . . . .(shrug)

Einaudi doesn't butter my bread either, but neither does most of the Russian music, and Bartok, Scriabin, Wagner, Schoenberg - the list goes on... There's something for everyone.

But I'm glad the Einaudians are so passionate about their living composer. They can actually go to a concert and see and hear him live - that's very cool.

Sam

peterws #2755576 08/03/18 06:26 AM

Well, it's probably not because you're a "fella" - appreciating beautiful music, aching or not, is really not gender specific - this is an unsupportable myth, like so much else having to do with gender issues - what is beautiful in music is personal and based on much more than just the music itself - even the toughest, most hard-nosed and testosterone-driven guy around can (and frequently does) fully appreciate a great love song well sung, or an appealing contemporary piano instrumental, or the incredibly dramatic music from a Broadway show such as, say, "Les Miserables" ...

I've heard and like the compositions of Einaudi - they are very creative and lovely - now, whether or not they rise to the same level as those of other contemporary master piano composers such as David Lanz, for example, is another matter entirely, prime subject for an endless debate of it's own...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Monica K. #2755664 08/03/18 12:08 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Monica.... your too kind. Good luck everyone, looking forward to hearing everyone's music.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta Area.
www.well-lovedpiano.com/atlanta-piano-technicians/
PTG Associate
Sam S #2755697 08/03/18 02:41 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S

Einaudi doesn't butter my bread either, but neither does most of the Russian music, and Bartok, Scriabin, Wagner, Schoenberg - the list goes on... There's something for everyone.

But I'm glad the Einaudians are so passionate about their living composer. They can actually go to a concert and see and hear him live - that's very cool.

Sam

Must admit his stuff is very impressive with orchestral backing. That's what I would like to see in his piano music.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Handyman #2755698 08/03/18 02:44 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Handyman

Well, it's probably not because you're a "fella" - appreciating beautiful music, aching or not, is really not gender specific - this is an unsupportable myth, like so much else having to do with gender issues - what is beautiful in music is personal and based on much more than just the music itself - even the toughest, most hard-nosed and testosterone-driven guy around can (and frequently does) fully appreciate a great love song well sung, or an appealing contemporary piano instrumental, or the incredibly dramatic music from a Broadway show such as, say, "Les Miserables" ...

I've heard and like the compositions of Einaudi - they are very creative and lovely - now, whether or not they rise to the same level as those of other contemporary master piano composers such as David Lanz, for example, is another matter entirely, prime subject for an endless debate of it's own...

I recorded my first Einauidi after a number of years of thinking he is nice but not all that deep. I'm working on around four of his pieces now and... I still don't think he's all that deep but I do really enjoy playing his pieces. He gets some really nice melodies and they are not as simple as I thought. That could be because, like so many pieces I play, I like to hear how the "masters" do it and then do my best to learn from them and I can't come close to playing as well as Einaudi does. He has a real nice legato, a great feel and fine pedaling...not to mention fast fingers. All that said, I'm pretty disappointed in my first recording attempt. (all this humidity and a piano that will not stay in tune did not help).

AB Forum Recital #2755713 08/03/18 04:41 PM
S
S
Thanks goodness for the two week 'grace' period to submit a recording... I see it as two weeks to polish a piece and maybe a couple days to record something quick!

AB Forum Recital #2755737 08/03/18 06:23 PM
K
K
Just a bit of left hand polishing left before I'm ready to submit what will likely be the first piece by Khachaturian in over a year. Coincidentally, it will be the same piece that Ralphiano submitted for the May 2017 recital, a waltz-y bedtime story.

I've started playing January 2017, Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.

[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2755742 08/03/18 07:04 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Whether we like Einaudi or Beethoven, Waller or Chopin, or wallow in a solipsistic sound universe of our own creation as I do doesn’t matter in the slightest. In the end all that matters is the unfettered enjoyment of whatever we do like and hopefully finding one or two kindred spirits in the process. The adult beginners section appears unique among forums in that it operates on this truth. I don’t think I shall mention scales again in a hurry though. Ha ha !

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
AB Forum Recital #2755761 08/03/18 08:50 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Les!! (waves to him)

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
AB Forum Recital #2755809 08/04/18 05:50 AM

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Got it - with just a single mistake and a decent pace, so it's good to go! grin

AB Forum Recital #2755972 08/04/18 05:19 PM

I love my husband dearly, and I promised to cherish and honor him until death do us part, but that moment almost came this afternoon when he came home unexpectedly early--and I was two bars away from getting a better recording of my piece. shocked mad whome

Monica K. #2755977 08/04/18 05:49 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I love my husband dearly, and I promised to cherish and honor him until death do us part, but that moment almost came this afternoon when he came home unexpectedly early--and I was two bars away from getting a better recording of my piece. shocked mad whome

Maybe you need one of those red lights they have at recording studios..."Recording in progress..make thee NO NOISE!"

AB Forum Recital #2755981 08/04/18 06:09 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'm working on mine, I'm working on mine!

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Monica K. #2756000 08/04/18 09:10 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T

I would be inclined to record the conclusion and join and patch it with Audacity Monica. Until I tried it with some interrupted improvisations I had not realised just how easy and undetectable this is. I don’t do it regularly, of course, probably about six times in 400 recorded hours, but the facility does provide a certain peace of mind about my nearest and dearest entering the room or ringing me up mid-flight, so to speak.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
AB Forum Recital #2756015 08/04/18 11:31 PM
Since I'm not done practicing my sonata movements, I thought I would go for the Invention no 4 that I did for my exam. I've played it a few times since then, but I've realized those were not enough to keep it to a real performance level. It is good enough for me to have fun when I play for myself in the living room, but not quite enough for a recital recording.
So I gave it a try for my first movement and... it's not bad. Not as good as I would want it to be, but that could be fine to submit.
I'll thing I take some time to practice those scale patterns in the recapitulation and try another recordings in the days to come.

Maybe I should submit today's recording anyway and see if I can get something better or not (I just have to recall how to extract mp3 on Audacity and take the time to do it ^^ ). But hey, I should have something decent for this time too. smile (not sure I will have something for the next recital, so...).

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
CadenzaVvi #2756022 08/05/18 12:50 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jouishy
I just have to recall how to extract mp3 on Audacity.

File/Export, select mp3 format, optionally enter some values for the fields and press ok. Set sample rate to 48000 and press ok. Done!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing triplets in rhythms
by zillybug - 04/09/20 10:06 PM
What keyboard is this
by Bruce In Philly - 04/09/20 07:00 PM
Biggest range of great sounds ?
by Edb123 - 04/09/20 04:40 PM
Mason and Hamlin “baby” grand - one key
by SeanMcD12 - 04/09/20 04:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics198,025
Posts2,943,596
Members96,550
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission